Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Likely To Flop In 2017 (Or Beyond)

124»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    lahnmir said:
    I don't even know why Star Citizen is mentioned in this poll, it is obvious that with all the delays it won't release before 2020, 2017? Pfffff hahaha, you people  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

They said ..... or beyond. Soooooo, yeah, there's no wrong answer. I love tests where you can't be wrong! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    CrazKanuk said:
    lahnmir said:
    I don't even know why Star Citizen is mentioned in this poll, it is obvious that with all the delays it won't release before 2020, 2017? Pfffff hahaha, you people  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

They said ..... or beyond. Soooooo, yeah, there's no wrong answer. I love tests where you can't be wrong! 
    Hahaha yeah, well, you got beyond and you got beyond.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited December 2016
    lahnmir said:
    Hahaha yeah, well, you got beyond and you got beyond.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    They will be right even if SC is one amazing success, lives for 10 years or such (usually 10 is already a LOT for one MMO) and then it dies out (flops).

So indeed, there is no wrong on that poll, unless SC lasts forever and replaces real life ofc. :winky: 

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    They will be right even if SC is one amazing success, lives for 10 years or such (usually 10 is already a LOT for one MMO) and then it dies out (flops).

So indeed, there is no wrong on that poll, unless SC lasts forever and replaces real life ofc. :winky: 

If it is successful for 10 years it could hardly be called a flop. No one would call Asheron's Call a flop, or EVE Online a flop, that would just be ignorant.
    A game changing from sub to free-to-play within a year or two could be called a flop. A game shutting down within a year or two, a flop etc

Given Star Citizen's penchance for hype I would have thought the bit in the opening paragraph that says "simply not living up to insane hype." is an adequate description of what they were aiming for.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited December 2016
    Torval said:
    lol Massively OP the Daily Mail of gaming "journalism".

I'm surprised Elite Dangerous wasn't on the list. Oh, it was most likely to flop in 2017 and beyond,

not most likely to induce catatonia whilst landing on a planet.
    Which game would release most nerd rage if it performs below expectations? 

I think players have invested more then 20 times as much money into SC as any other MMO and you usually don't do that without high expectations so if it flops these forums will burn with flames.

But I guess we could vote safe and say something few if any have much hope for, like Pathfinder online instead (some people still think it will get new funding, but I am pretty sure Paizo realized that using UO mechanics for a MMO version of a game based on D&D is not the smartest thing to do since the IPs fans wont recognize it and that you can't make a good sandbox game for a tenth of the price of a themepark game). IF any IP demands levels it is D&D and Pathfinder.

I just don't see any points in "guesses" like that, a real flop should fill this forum for month (remember Tabula Rasa? Or the AoC Vs WAR fan PvP?), I think only SC can flop that spectacularly in 2017 (but I am not saying it will, just that if it flops it will be the largest one). 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Loke666 said:
    Torval said:
    lol Massively OP the Daily Mail of gaming "journalism".

I'm surprised Elite Dangerous wasn't on the list. Oh, it was most likely to flop in 2017 and beyond,

not most likely to induce catatonia whilst landing on a planet.
    Which game would release most nerd rage if it performs below expectations? 

I think players have invested more then 20 times as much money into SC as any other MMO and you usually don't do that without high expectations so if it flops these forums will burn with flames.

But I guess we could vote safe and say something few if any have much hope for, like Pathfinder online instead (some people still think it will get new funding, but I am pretty sure Paizo realized that using UO mechanics for a MMO version of a game based on D&D is not the smartest thing to do since the IPs fans wont recognize it and that you can't make a good sandbox game for a tenth of the price of a themepark game). IF any IP demands levels it is D&D and Pathfinder.

I just don't see any points in "guesses" like that, a real flop should fill this forum for month (remember Tabula Rasa? Or the AoC Vs WAR fan PvP?), I think only SC can flop that spectacularly in 2017 (but I am not saying it will, just that if it flops it will be the largest one). 

I think SC has all but ensured that it won't meet or exceed expectations. It's just so big!! Also, it's difficult to avoid the price tag. People think that's a lot of money to spend on making a game, but it really isn't. Plus, it's not really edgy enough. People want something mediocre, created by a team of less than 10 people. THAT is what gaming hipsters are looking for these days. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    CrazKanuk said:
    [...] I think SC has all but ensured that it won't meet or exceed expectations. It's just so big!! [...]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Peter_principle
    The software Peter principle is used in software engineering to describe a dying project which has become too complex to be understood even by its own developers. [...]

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.