Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Legion the best PAID expansion for any MMO?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2016
    Normally I hate expansions, more often than not they take a MMORPG I really enjoy playing and change it into something that makes me quit the game.:/

With WOW it was TBC, and later when I came back for Cataclysm, both far different and less enjoyable than Vanilla which I was still having a great time in for the 1st two years after launch.

DAOC had my favorite expansion, Shrouded Isles which added a huge new world to explore, great new classes, really fleshed out the realm abilities and I feel when PVP was at its best. 

There's a private server currently in beta which is based on a rule set shortly after SIs launch which I'll be revisiting once they stop wiping progression and go live.

DAOC also has the honor of two of my most hated expansions, Trials of Atlantis and New Frontiers. Made me quit and go play L2 for about 6 months before WOWs launch.

Truthfully, since those early days, the only MMORPG I've played long enough to see an expansion in is EVE.

Every other MMORPG I've tried has failed to keep my interest past the first 3 months and I've never gone back to them due to my "one and done" policy I've adopted once I'm "finished" with a game.

Sometimes though I've wondered if some games might have improved after launch with expansions and what not (ESO, AA being the most recent) but so far have never revisted.

Mostly this is because outside of WOW and EVE back in the day there is little evidence most games have increased their player bases with expansions, so I figure they still are lacking.

EVE's an interesting exception. I don't have a favorite or least favorite expansion. Despite the many changes and additions since I first joined, the game always remains the same game I first enjoyed and still do today.

I will qualify it however, so far I loathe the changes they made to to mining boosting ships in this most recent expansion, enough so that I will quit mining after over 2 years of focus on move on to carrier ratting.  I'll also not be renewing my annual subs on 3 of my 6 accounts as well. (Good job CCP, saving me some money so I can play other games) ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    How about no. WoW hasn't been the best of anything for a very long time. If they had any sense they would release vanilla and legacy progression servers to let people experience WoW when it was actually a great game instead of trying to leech every last cent out of her, like a Russian pimp working his toothless old whore to death.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    lol Well it couldnt of been worse the WoD. I felt like they spent all that time from WoD developing Legion instead so yea, has to be better. Best WoW exp? Nah, TBC by far for me. I know a lot like WotLK and it was good in the first to mid part - the last part is when the group finders came and that stupid TotC raid. 

Went to the private scene, love it - could not be happier.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Loke666 said:
    Guildwars: Nightfall is the best paid expansion for any MMO... The number of zones and new content was just staggering. 

In any measurable way it must be by far the most massive (5 new regions, 2 new classes, heroes, loads of new skill and so on). For it's release price nothing ever been close in value.
    Wholeheartedly agree.  Well said ;)
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

top off all other paid expansions for MMOs?
    If WoW would be the only MMO out there, yes.

But it isn't.

So no.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Delphos said:
    Legion is by far the best WoW expac, but it's not even near being the best expac of all. Planes of Power from EQ1, Echoes of Faydwer and Rise of Kunark from EQ2 and Mines of Moria from Lotro are far better than Legion to name a few. And if you consider A Realm Reborn as expac, witch imho its pretty fair, FF XIV: ARR is by far the best expansion ever made.
    Just a thought experiment: what did you say about the last expansion a few months after release (if you remember)? and what was your score just before Legions pre-patch?

I seriously don't think anyone should judge an expansion until the next pre-patch comes out, it is not just about what happens on launch day but content patches, issues and long term fun during (the in Wows general pace) the 2 years the expansion is running. Of course you might very well still think it is the best ever but then you do it with perspective. Comparing a few months in one expansion with 2 years in another gives a faulty perspective. What really killed the last expansion was the very long content patch gap at the end, heck, it even made Ford speak of "Borecraft"and that says a lot.

"Don't judge a meal until it is eaten"
                        The poetic Edda
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    It's close for me. It's just ruined with the RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. It's like someone made the best soup ever and then dumped a box of rock salt in.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Phry said:
    Legion, frankly helped me give up WoW very quickly, by comparison WoD was a better expac, the single worst feature of Legion was imo the artifact weapons and the changes to the classes
    My favourite classes such as Hunter - Beast spec, Warlock - Affliction spec, Mage - Arcane spec, were turned into abominations that honestly i could no longer bear to play.

Exactly.
    Blizzard experimenting with Classes is starting to get on everyone's tits, quite frankly.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited December 2016
    Since so many servers went to low pop because how bad Legion is,it is easy to say that it is not the best expansion,it is  more closer to worst expansion ever.When pruning and dumbing down is too much for even average WoW player,this happens https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/game/status  

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73
    no game is even close to the awesome exp that chains of promathia was, so my vote is on ff xi
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Scaled leveling is one of the worst ideas to ever hot the rpg genre.Say goodbye to immersion but i guess with instance raiding and tons of the other content ideas ,Blizzard never realized they were suppose to be making a role playing game and threw immersion completely out the window.
    Random events,only good if they make sense both with the story/game and not some random idea that just pops up out of nowhere,again that points to the immersion factor which every single one of these games should have.

Still has the immersion breaking,hand holding big yellow ! over npc heads and still has the hand holding marker immediately placed on the map so you don't think,just vee line for that yellow  map marker,yep still no clue how to create an immersive rpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    mentoplus said:
    no game is even close to the awesome exp that chains of promathia was, so my vote is on ff xi
    I agree FFXI were great expansions but to be fair versus other games and to prove i am not some crazy fanbois that doesn't know wtf he is talking about,i always had a complaint that SE never gave FFXI more mounts and water zones and voice overs,but they did everything else really well and imo better than every other mmorpg.Also FFXI geared more towards open world content and tougher open world combat than any other and to me that is where the content SHOULD be,not in some instance dungeon.

EQ2 also mentioned,another game i played a lot of ,yes they had decently big expansions but not overall very good,just a lot like Wow in overall game design with the hand holding and many immersion breaking ideas.However EQ2 always outshone Wow because always adding housing and new furniture added a lot more depth to crafting and the overall game.
    BTW EQ2 was the first to try scaling with Splitpaw saga and it was proven to be utter crap,probably the worst expansion to ever hit EQ2.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Wizardry said:
    mentoplus said:
    I agree FFXI were great expansions but to be fair versus other games and to prove i am not some crazy fanbois that doesn't know wtf he is talking about,i always had a complaint that SE never gave FFXI more mounts and water zones and voice overs,but they did everything else really well and imo better than every other mmorpg.Also FFXI geared more towards open world content and tougher open world combat than any other and to me that is where the content SHOULD be,not in some instance dungeon.

well FFXI has now tons of mounts , and water zones? ehm what aboy "sea" and in Toau Undersea ruins :o

i dont agree with open world content for endgame , that only cause issues.

btw they are adding swimming , diving to FFXIV come bloodstorm (finally ¬¬)
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    too much opinions here, not enough facts.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Thane said:
    too much opinions here, not enough facts.
    True, but if we're going by opinion, I'd say that Legion is pretty high up there. Do we count the "Campaigns" of Guild Wars 1? If so, there were some great ones back then too.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    Guild Wars: Eye of the North was, to me, the best MMO expansion ever.

I have yet to play EotN, but if the standalone campaigns from GW1 count as expansions then thats my answer, no doubt.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This expansion does some things right or at least steps in the right direction, but its definitely not the best paid expansion. This done right (or attempted) are the world quests and the idea of some form of continuous progression past level cap (artifact power isn't exactly the best thing but you have to commend blizzard for doing something outside of what they usually do, unless you want to relate it to D3's system). The class changes (with even more coming in 7.1.5), zone scaling (bit on the fence for this one), garrison-lite called class halls, and on rails quest-to-level design were definitely weaker parts.

The only thing WoD did right was the leveling and it actually made me want to go to WoD because of the control of leveling I had with it. I could quest if I wanted or just go around and kill rares/find chests to level up while also getting geared at the same time. Legion should've definitely taken away from how MoP handled rep, with allowing people to buy account-wide boost for that faction that doubled rep gain once you reached a certain rank with them. There were also the reps associated with your first dungeon of the day that allowed you to get rep with a faction of your choice. Couple that with making tabards actually useful again instead of pure vaniety would help with the rep grind and make it feel less grindy when you have to do it on every character if you care about advancing your crafts with them. Which is another huge flaw of Legion, the heavy incorporation of crafts into battle content. I dont know about others, but some classes I would have certain professions with but never really cared to do everything with that class. So I might have an Arms Warrior that has BS but I only use it for pvp, not pve. Thanks to the crafting encorporation into raiding/dungeons, well guess I have to do pve on warrior or reroll BS on someone else. I guess the only good thing in this regard is that you know whatever crafting you do in expansion won't matter in the next since they seem to keep resetting it.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    edited December 2016
    For me its a tie between Heavensward and Legion. And im super excited for Stormblood next year.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I honestly came here, trying to find out why people claim Legion is the best Expac.. for me it was Wotlk, with WOD being a close 2nd. I find Legion dull, i couldn't stay behind a month sub, been here since Vanilla, and i feel like this was the least interesting of any of the WoW Expacs - With WOD they got into a lore based content re-hashing cycle i do not like, but with Legion it's so painfully deja vu, i can't, i just can't.. i don't get the fanboyism over this expac. It's not fun. At all. The things i liked about WOD are gone, replaced with a weak substitute.. the lore is recycled, the mechanics are the same old concept but pruned down.. it's boring. 

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    -FF XIV: ARR is by far the best expansion ever made.-

That's a reboot, hardly an expansion, but best expansion ever would be indeed either Planes of Power or Shadows of Luclin. 

• HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Kane72 said:
    Legion is the expac that kept me for the shortest amount of time.  It has the most obvious repetition and grind compared to others.  Takes forever to achieve anything and that involves going round the same old World Quests day after day.  Other expacs seemed to hide it a bit better and there was more variety.  This is the pits and it's why my sub ran out yesterday. Not only did I unsub, but I destroyed all my equipment and deleted my character as I never want to be tempted back in as I reflect on the many hours wasted in the game when I could have done something more interesting with that time.  It does suck you in when you have invested a lot of time, but it's not productive and I've come to see that. Looking back, it all seems no childish now and the game is aimed at the younger generation that flood the chat channels with immaturity.  I'm glad to be moving on as the game has served its purpose.
    i feel the exact same about the game nailed it on the head for me i stuck around for the whole wod expac. i really liked the whole quest chain to get your legendary but they f'd that up with legion its dumb now imo
    Kane72
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Divion said:
    -FF XIV: ARR is by far the best expansion ever made.-

That's a reboot, hardly an expansion, but best expansion ever would be indeed either Planes of Power or Shadows of Luclin. 
    What in the actual.....
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    While I do have my craving's for WoW at times I do think Legion crushed it for me in a way with the artifacts. One of my favorite things was trying to get all the weapons I could for my class and I can't do that in Legion anymore. Wrath was my favorite expansion mostly because I was a fan of Arthas storyline. 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    burning crusade was the best but its not exactly had much competition since  has it, since Activision merged with  blizzard it went down hill , and imo its why they wont make vanilla servers because they dont want to admit that when they merged they ruined the game.