Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you rate Rogue One?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited December 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
After watching the movie I definitely think it was better then the last movie  How would you rate it?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

The force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force.

Donnie Yen was hilarious, "awe come on, you know I am blind right?!" :)
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea my daughter cracked up when she shot the robot that looked like the other robot.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    There were some funny parts of the movie but this is probably by far the best star wars movie out and I probably will have this rated over star wars 8
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Felicity owns Daisy.

Deal with it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    It was better than 7.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It was okay, middle of the road. Parts were funny, the scenes with K-2SO especially, but the obvious messages they were protraying was kind of tiresome. I'm still hoping for a decent antagonist for Episode VIII.
    Aelious said:
    It was okay, middle of the road. Parts were funny, the scenes with K-2SO especially, but the obvious messages they were protraying was kind of tiresome. I'm still hoping for a decent antagonist for Episode VIII.

It is kind of sad that my favorite scene was the ending where Vader goes into slaughter mode and the ship flying off into space.

They father daughter story really felt forced to me.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    SPOILERS AHEAD!

DON'T READ ANY FURTHER!

There were many, many scenes that i liked alot and that made me feel like when i watched the very first movie as a kid.
    Altogether, i LOVED that they went back to the dirty, gritty, worn out and desperate look of everything.

As in TheForceAwakens, i liked the "modern touch" of this movie -while it was still so old school and familiar at the same time. Camera angles and camera movement, the "flow" of the scenes during flights and fights.

The movie has some VERY impressive shots, like the Star Destroyer hovering over Jedha and it's take off or  Vader's citadel on Mustafar and the camera flight up to it. Once the movie got going were are so many scenes that left me in awe. So many powerful and bombastic takes. The fight on Eadu and how the XWings fly through the rainy night. The Xwings are daredevils here, dynamic and really powerful in every fight. Unleash serious devastation instead of just being picked down like flies like in some of the other movies. The impact of their lasers and explosions shook my seat in the theater.

The final third of the movie is just one superlative after another. How the rebel fleet appears from hyper space over Scarif right at the shield-station which is casually guarded by two star destroyers.... the following space fight ..woow!! I was on the edge of my seat when a couple of Xwings managed to head first dive into the shield-gate and later ones crashed on the shield.

And when the fleet took off into hyperspace again and in that very second Vader's star destroyer pops up incoming from hyperspace, already firing and destroying some rebel ships before they managed to jump.

Usually i'm a geek and totally nitpicking each movie or tv-show to death. I'm on the phone with my cousin after every episode of The Walking Dead and we literally pick it apart.
    But with Rogue One, i just enjoyed the spectacle.. not looking for plot holes or something.

Tarkin/Leia's CGI, Vader being a bit odd etc etc.. so what? I could also find all these flaws if i'd keep looking for them, but with Rogue One i just don't want to.

Who thought that it would be Disney showing George Lucas how to make a Star Wars movie!

edited December 2016
    Gorwe said:
    Aelious said:
    What messages? And why do I never notice them if they're so "in your face"?
    Maybe he's speaking of the cliche father/daughter who were separated blah blah... You know the rest cuz we seen it in 100 different movies/tv shows.  The antenna needs to be raised, the shield needs to go down,  the button needs to be pressed and the bad guy shows up right when that is about to happen.

I was moved by the ending how they died.  I was expecting some cheezy robot/r2d2 scene to whisk them away and save them.  And then they had to leave because of the important information and we saw it coming Princess Leah yet it was still touching.  Which brings us directly to the beginning of Episode 4 where leah is giving a message to r2d2 for Obiwan.
    filmoret said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aelious said:
    Maybe he's speaking of the cliche father/daughter who were separated blah blah... You know the rest cuz we seen it in 100 different movies/tv shows.  The antenna needs to be raised, the shield needs to go down,  the button needs to be pressed and the bad guy shows up right when that is about to happen.

I was moved by the ending how they died.  I was expecting some cheezy robot/r2d2 scene to whisk them away and save them.  And then they had to leave because of the important information and we saw it coming Princess Leah yet it was still touching.  Which brings us directly to the beginning of Episode 4 where leah is giving a message to r2d2 for Obiwan.

Other than the vader ending, the fact that the died like that was a big plus for me.

Gorwe said:
    Aelious said:

While going through the process of getting my bachelor's degree I took a few classes that had me focus on the themes and messages in mediums like commercials, TV shows, movies, etc. It was eye opening and the abilities gained from it is enriching. I use these skills automatically now and though I am still able to appreciate something I can also be critical of the ingrained messages if need be. Rogue One is a great example of this.

The Rebel Alliance, or the "good" entity, was comprised of all age groups, ethnicities, and sexes. They went to great lengths to cast and include a full spectrum of each and I think that's great. I love celebrating diversity.

The Empire, or the "bad" entity? Old. White. Males (Unless you count Darth Vader, /rimshot ;)). Again, specifically cast that way as the vindictive and oppressive force against all that is free in the galaxy. Since it's Disney is this surprising? No, not really and it's sadly to be expected.

Rogue One had a lot of good things about it and to be honest probably deserved better than a 5, more like a 7 if rating like grades. The acting was good, the picture will probably win awards, and the other themes such as the father/daughter angle was great as well. I'm just not willing to look past the laughable social slights.

Asheram said:

The force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force, the force is with me, I am one with the force.

Donnie Yen was hilarious, "awe come on, you know I am blind right?!" :)

Indeed, he was hillarious. I cheered insie when I first seen him as I love the IP Man movies he does. Great actor/martial artist. I do wish he had more of a Jedi role though and was stronger in the force.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I have mixed feelings about the film. I'm a big star wars fan and still loved it, but there were significant problems that made the film really jarring. 

There were two main problems with the film that prevent me giving it more than a 7. 

1) Music

They decided not to use the traditional star wars music, yet they made new music that sounded similar. It just felt wrong. Every time they got some music going it just reminded me how weird it sounded. It sounded like the shitty substitute music they use on other series when they're trying to spoof star wars but can't afford the rights to the music. 

As background music is present throughout most of the movie, this really killed the atmosphere. It killed the star wars feel. The music lacked the emotional importance from the previous films, so I didn;t feel the usual ups and downs that I feel during the previous 7. That jarring feeling is present right from the opening. It took me 5 minutes to realise the film had even started due to dodgy music and lack of scrolling credits - I genuinely thought I was watching a cinema warning and so was waiting for the "don't forget to turn off your phone". 

2) CGI / Old Characters

I understand the need for it, but Tarkin and Leia looked awful as did their voices along with Vadars. With Tarkin, they could have just used a different actor, we wouldn't have cared. Leia, bit more tricky, but they could have just shown her from a distance or something. Same with Vadar, I'm sure they must have enough B-role of James Earl Jones to use his voice. 

Beyond those two problems, it was a good film. I feel they could have leaned more heavily on the spy aspect and I feel like they should have explored some of the places a bit better. For example, they only briefly mention that the crystals being used for fuel on the death star are the same that power lightsabers. They should have explored that more, gone into the jedi caves / temples or whatever. 

The father / daughter relationship did feel shoehorned in, as did Jyns desire to suddenly save the republic. To suddenly go from not caring to speaking passionately to the rebel council about the need for action....not buying it. 

To me, in comparison to VII, I'd say this one had better acting / casting and a more gritty feel, but felt less star warsy. 

My order of preference for the 8 films now stands at:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    3= Force Awakens
    3= Rogue One
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    6. Phantom Menace
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones

I know most people say Empire is the best, but honestly I get bored after Hoth. It has a great story line, introduces Yoda, proper training, the bounty hunters etc, but it lacks replayability. Once you've seen the film a few times, the second half of Empire just lets me down every time. 
    I have mixed feelings about the film. I'm a big star wars fan and still loved it, but there were significant problems that made the film really jarring. 

2) CGI / Old Characters

I understand the need for it, but Tarkin and Leia looked awful as did their voices along with Vadars. 
    I agree that Vader's voice was strange.  But man give Leia a break the woman is like 80 years old and they basically gave her makeup to look like she was 20 again.  Having the original Leia was worth it to me.  They easily could have went with an entirely different person and used CG to make her look like Leia.

To me, in comparison to VII, I'd say this one had better acting / casting and a more gritty feel, but felt less star warsy. 

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    3= Force Awakens
    3= Rogue One
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    6. Phantom Menace
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones

I know most people say Empire is the best, but honestly I get bored after Hoth. It has a great story line, introduces Yoda, proper training, the bounty hunters etc, but it lacks replayability. Once you've seen the film a few times, the second half of Empire just lets me down every time. 
    I will always have the post-return of the jedi timeline sequential movies like 7, 8, 9, rated last just because disney took the easy way out and copy and pasted the same story with different names and characters and their style of story telling is outdated its like going back to the first time television movies came out and hollywood now still using the same style from those first tv movies. Eventually your going to have to modernize the story.

"star warsy" This is what people need to get out of their heads imo and open their mind up star wars is about the universe, not exactly what they show you every time in SW 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,clone wars,rebels(imo they should all be called brainwash star wars). What has yet to be seen and written is part of star wars its not always about the sith and jedi anymore its more complex now.

There can be alot done with this franchise with their own version of a Law and Order series etc. but they choose not to do it for some reason because they want to continue copy and pasting outdated formulas and afraid of trying something new. I'm a huge star wars fan but not necessarily all of their movies and their old ones, at least some parts of it. Simply because I disagree with the way they are writing the lore. These star wars standalone movies now are a first step at least to start trying something different. Theres different type of star wars fans, the fanbase is somewhat split, its how its always been since the prequels came out etc.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
    edited December 2016
    Aelious said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aelious said:

While going through the process of getting my bachelor's degree I took a few classes that had me focus on the themes and messages in mediums like commercials, TV shows, movies, etc. It was eye opening and the abilities gained from it is enriching. I use these skills automatically now and though I am still able to appreciate something I can also be critical of the ingrained messages if need be. Rogue One is a great example of this.

The Rebel Alliance, or the "good" entity, was comprised of all age groups, ethnicities, and sexes. They went to great lengths to cast and include a full spectrum of each and I think that's great. I love celebrating diversity.

The Empire, or the "bad" entity? Old. White. Males (Unless you count Darth Vader, /rimshot ;)). Again, specifically cast that way as the vindictive and oppressive force against all that is free in the galaxy. Since it's Disney is this surprising? No, not really and it's sadly to be expected.

Rogue One had a lot of good things about it and to be honest probably deserved better than a 5, more like a 7 if rating like grades. The acting was good, the picture will probably win awards, and the other themes such as the father/daughter angle was great as well. I'm just not willing to look past the laughable social slights.

Seems to me, sorry if I'm wrong, that it's more like you have your head up so deep up your own social standards that you can't expand past them in a sci-fi movie.

First thing being that you can't see what's under a stormtrooper helmet. And last year's movie proved they can very well be black.

First, there is no need to be rude. I'm sorry if my open honesty offends you.

Second, I explained very clearly that the casting was intentional. You can say, "oh, well it's a sci-fi, fantasy, etc." movie and suspend disbelief. It was intentional beyond the scope of the movie itself. I also explained how I still thought very positively about the movie and can seperate that from my opinion of the message it was portraying.

Third, I was not talking about any other Star Wars movies, just this one. (Edit: Come to think of it that inclusion makes my point even more because he ands up defecting from the "evil" side to join the side of "good." Same thing happened in RO.)

Gorwe said:

If they want to do Star Wars oriented westerns / Bounty Hunter things, they can freely use my character. I'd even give him up for completely free as long as people saw how great "non Force" Star Wars can be.
    IMHO, star wars is shallow, simplistic, predictable and needs a lot more depth and complexity to it. I would have liked to see a movie called Star Wars: Dawn of the Followers of Palawa instead of "SW EP 7" and maybe in the beginning of the movie show a scene of those followers ambushing luke and killing him with a vibro-staff as he attempts to restore the jedi order and the republic.

Disney could do so much with this franchise yet for some reason does not want to do it. Star Trek has done more with their franchise than Star Wars ever has.

Aelious said:
    Aelious said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aelious said:

Seems to me, sorry if I'm wrong, that it's more like you have your head up so deep up your own social standards that you can't expand past them in a sci-fi movie.

First thing being that you can't see what's under a stormtrooper helmet. And last year's movie proved they can very well be black.

First, there is no need to be rude. I'm sorry if my open honesty offends you.

Second, I explained very clearly that the casting was intentional. You can say, "oh, well it's a sci-fi, fantasy, etc." movie and suspend disbelief. It was intentional beyond the scope of the movie itself. I also explained how I still thought very positively about the movie and can seperate that from my opinion of the message it was portraying.

Third, I was not talking about any other Star Wars movies, just this one. (Edit: Come to think of it that inclusion makes my point even more because he ands up defecting from the "evil" side to join the side of "good." Same thing happened in RO.)

Maybe it was intentional.  And trying to send some kind of message about you know what.  If that is true then they did a very poor job of it because after watching the movie myself and hearing about these messages I saw no such message unless I really wanted to stretch it.  Just enjoyed the movie for that it is. Star Wars.  I think maybe you are being too sensitive about it. 
    edited December 2016
    Aelious said:

Second, I explained very clearly that the casting was intentional. You can say, "oh, well it's a sci-fi, fantasy, etc." movie and suspend disbelief. It was intentional beyond the scope of the movie itself.

SJW BS is annoying, isn't it? ;)

In this case I do have a point, unless you think:

A. I'm just wrong and there were plenty of different social groups cast as the Empire in the movie.

B. The producers of something as big as SW:RO just didn't realize they cast all old white males to represent the Empire. This would be a bit naive considering how specifically diverse they made the Alliance.

Why do I care? I really don't. What I do care about is fairness and true justice. I consider myself a true egalitarian and I thought it was awesome that the Alliance was so multicultural. To me "fair is far" however and I asked myself that if there was another single, specific group cast as the "bad guy", like in this case, there would be outrage how ever annoying that may be.

I truly hope in the future that all these types of "you have a choice to be offended" cases will be written off as easily as mine. You've all given me a New Hope ;) 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Best Star Wars movie in a long time. I have already watched twice after initially being very skeptical of it.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    RIP Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher dead @ 60 from a heart attack.  
    https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/iconic-star-wars-actress-carrie-174459671.html
    DMKano said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Aelious said:

It is kind of sad that my favorite scene was the ending where Vader goes into slaughter mode and the ship flying off into space.

They father daughter story really felt forced to me.
    Was a 6 for me as well.

Just lacked the epic feeling of what a Star Wars movie should be, the fact that the outcome of the movie was known meant Rogue One lived and died by the strength of the acting and characters. It didnt quite deliver.

When at the end of the movie I have no feeling if characters live or die - that speaks volumes on itself. Sorry Rogue One - didnt deliver for me.

Good point.  The fact that we knew that is where they got the plans for episode 4 they needed to make ramp up other aspects.

filmoret said:

2) CGI / Old Characters

I understand the need for it, but Tarkin and Leia looked awful as did their voices along with Vadars. 
    I agree that Vader's voice was strange.  But man give Leia a break the woman is like 80 years old and they basically gave her makeup to look like she was 20 again.  Having the original Leia was worth it to me.  They easily could have went with an entirely different person and used CG to make her look like Leia.
    Um, I maybe wrong but I thought that Leia was entirely CGI in Rogue One. No amount of makeup would have taken Carrie Fisher from aged 60 back to age 20. Her body has simply changed too much, as it would for anyone else. 
    ApexTKM said:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    3= Force Awakens
    3= Rogue One
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    6. Phantom Menace
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones

"star warsy" This is what people need to get out of their heads imo and open their mind up star wars is about the universe, not exactly what they show you every time in SW 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,clone wars,rebels(imo they should all be called brainwash star wars). What has yet to be seen and written is part of star wars its not always about the sith and jedi anymore its more complex now.

I'd like to discuss what I mean by the film not feeling "star warsy".

Star Wars, as a whole, is the galaxy/universe with various stories set within it's expanse. There are near infinite possibilities for stories / films / tv / games but the main things binding it all together are the technologies available (space flight and laser guns) and the civilisations that inhabit the galaxy. These remain relatively constant whilst the presentation is what changes (books/film/tv/games). My mind is open to all the possibilities and I get excited by the potential I see. 

However, whilst Star Wars as an idea is all about the wider galaxy, the films are much more specific. Every film until this one had a lot of similarities:
    • Very strong good vs evil theme
    • The same music used throughout
    • The force features heavily in all previous films
    • All of them had scrolling text at the start to kick off the movie
    • All the stories focused on small groups of dedicated good guys overcoming the odds
    • All the films include a decent amount of cheesy jokes
    • etc
    The actual presentation differs - 4,5 and 6 used lots of makeup and models resulting in a more realistic / dirty feel whilst 1,2 and 3 used too much CGI, resulting in a squeaky clean galaxy - but the themes remain the same. When you sit down to watch 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 7, as soon as you see those title credits and hear the music, you know you're in for a Star Wars experience. 

Rogue One departed from that. 

The force barely entered into it. The music was all wrong. It wasn't clear cut good vs evil, but more focused on Jyn finding her dad. Most cheesy jokes were missing. 

What I'm saying is it didn't evoke the same feelings and emotions of the previous 7 films. I didn't come out of the cinema thinking "That was a great Star Wars film", I came out thinking "That was a good film set in the Star Wars universe". The thing that made it so jarring was the fact that even though they made big departures from the formula of the previous 7 films, they didn't make a clean break. Whilst all the music was different, it wasn't different enough so instead it just sounded like a bad copy of the proper Star Wars music being played out of tune, or as if someone had mis-remembered it. 

Again, departing from the feel of the previous 7 star wars films isn't a bad thing, I still really enjoyed the film and rate it highly compared to a lot of the other ones, but it could easily have jumped from the 7 I gave it to a 9 by either sticking to the star wars film formula (title credits, music, bit more cheesy, more force) or making a cleaner break. 
    tbh, I was first introduced to star wars through SWG. I watched all the movies at the time after I gave SWG a go. I felt like SWG explored more and dived more into the lore considering sony was making a complex game at the time. So I'm more likely to be critical of the star wars movies than those who first got into star wars because of those movies. There are just some things I didn't care for in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. I know I'm most likely the minority but it is what it is I guess I just think they make the star wars universe seem small and shallow by focusing on a small number of characters, not even showing a alot of "extras" in the cast and the story is not complex enough for me. So I'm pretty much one of the most picky star wars fan because I would have wrote the star wars lore differently in some aspects of the original story.

My wishes:

- No clear good and evil theme
    - No Scrolling Text/Title Credits
    - Add more complex stories
    - Rename SW 1,2,3,4,5,6, to something like Star Wars Legacy of Anakin Skywalker 1, SWL AS 2, SWL AS 3, SWL AS 4, SWL AS 5, SWL AS 6.
    - Darker Star Wars Stories

Then instead of episode 7,8,9 they should have introduced a totally different sequential story straying away from the chosen one's children who are not as relevant as the chosen one was imo. My idea instead of 7 is reintroducing the followers of palawa. Before I state my idea I want to give a little background so people understand why etc. The Followers of Palawa got their world destroyed when the jedi and the republic brought their war to their world.

The Followers of Palawa are martial artists and they all study the force. They end up killing Luke as he attempts to restore the Jedi order and Leia as she attempts to restore the Republic as revenge. Thats just my little draft of what the beginning scene of the movie would look like and more of a flashback, I made it that way because I want a gap in the story between the events of SWL AS 6 and whatever I'd call this movie Return of Palawa or whatever. Enough gap in the story to dive into later down the line.

Thats a perfect example of no clear good and evil. Regardless if it was intentional or not the jedi code and the sith code are perfect examples to get people to think and be confused over whether or not the jedi are bad or the sith. Make both sides look bad and good.

When people started speculating Rey's parents and have said what they think that made me realize even more that the universe seems very tiny and narrow especially if people think Rey's parents are known star wars characters. Instead of star wars diving into the unknown I honestly feel like they are still diving into the known. If you know what I mean by that.

All I've said are just my opinions and ideas. I understand disney wants to go original in all the stuff that they do but I wish they would try to please other groups of the star wars fan base instead of just trying to please the majority every time.