Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its time to give Archeage another shot. (read before commenting)

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    To fish you need a boat. To get the boat you need to build. To build you need mats. To get those mats you need a farm. To get that farm you need to be a patron or your screwed. Or you buy apex and sell it for ingame gold to just buy the boat to fish.....ding ding ding....working as intended.

Good luck at farming those mobs which just got nerfed in 3.0.

If you want to be canon fodder for those that pay...Archeage-Reboot is for you.
    I'm hoping your misinformation doesn't spread too far. You do NOT need a boat to fish. You can fish off of any dock/pier, or even fresh water fish. You DO need a boat to sport fish, which comes later. You do need mats to craft anything. Not sure why this was even mentioned. You do not need a farm to get mats. Proof:  Fish off a dock, cut the fish up to make oils. Sell oils. Buy mats with the money you made selling oils. Problem solved.

The real issue is you want to take short cuts. You don't want to work for it. Good news for you as well. Because when I rolled on a legacy server, they provided my new character with a daily box that eventually gave me a beginner's farm cart AND a boat to use for 30 days. Fortunately I know how to play this game and was able to craft a boat way before that, but it may be useful to those who are still learning.

Now when it comes to Patron, I personally believe this should almost be mandatory. I'm against people playing 100% free. People who don't want to pay anything are the reason we have cash shops. I would have loved for this MMO to have a sub only server without a cash shop, but that dream will never happen. Yet, the game is still awesome, and probably the best on the market.
    QuarterStack
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    aliven said:
    DMKano said:

As the only poster who is not on hate trion hype train is you for my knowledge i ask you if it is possible to be competitive as f2p ?
    No you can't be competitive without Subscription.
    Most of the things you do in Archeage require Labor Points.
    With a Patron Subscription your Labor Point regeneration goes much faster and can happen also while you are Offline.
    If you don't subscribe you are not quite on the same League. but that's only fair as a Freeloader should not be on equal ground with people who pay a Sub.
    My problem with Archeage has always been the Cash Shop which turned this otherwise perfect good game into shit.

Now after 3 years they are trying to damage control by tuning down the CS, but it's still way too shady for me, and it might be just too little too late (this game needs healthy population to be enjoyable).

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    One of the things I like is labor is actually worth money now.  Before I would spend tons of labor for free basically.  You can buy things from the AH and simply refine them or craft something with the items and make money from it.  You couldn't do that when I quit playing the game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    mcrippins said:
    To fish you need a boat. To get the boat you need to build. To build you need mats. To get those mats you need a farm. To get that farm you need to be a patron or your screwed. Or you buy apex and sell it for ingame gold to just buy the boat to fish.....ding ding ding....working as intended.

Good luck at farming those mobs which just got nerfed in 3.0.

If you want to be canon fodder for those that pay...Archeage-Reboot is for you.
    I'm hoping your misinformation doesn't spread too far. You do NOT need a boat to fish. You can fish off of any dock/pier, or even fresh water fish. You DO need a boat to sport fish, which comes later. You do need mats to craft anything. Not sure why this was even mentioned. You do not need a farm to get mats. Proof:  Fish off a dock, cut the fish up to make oils. Sell oils. Buy mats with the money you made selling oils. Problem solved.

The real issue is you want to take short cuts. You don't want to work for it. Good news for you as well. Because when I rolled on a legacy server, they provided my new character with a daily box that eventually gave me a beginner's farm cart AND a boat to use for 30 days. Fortunately I know how to play this game and was able to craft a boat way before that, but it may be useful to those who are still learning.

Now when it comes to Patron, I personally believe this should almost be mandatory. I'm against people playing 100% free. People who don't want to pay anything are the reason we have cash shops. I would have loved for this MMO to have a sub only server without a cash shop, but that dream will never happen. Yet, the game is still awesome, and probably the best on the market.
    Everything you mention is exactly what I said. You can do them but at such a disadvantage you are canon fodder.

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I appreciate the thoughtful post OP and I did read all of it. Trion is still an awful company and I reject your Under New Management claim.  Scott Hartsman doesn't give a shit about their players and just because they 'toned down' their cash grab, P2W system doesn't change the fact that Archeage has a pay for advantage concept (as opposed to pay-to-progress-a-bit-faster systems employed by other games). Trion is on my permanent Do Not Buy list along with skum like EA. 
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    filmoret said:
    One of the things I like is labor is actually worth money now.  Before I would spend tons of labor for free basically.  You can buy things from the AH and simply refine them or craft something with the items and make money from it.  You couldn't do that when I quit playing the game.
    Huh? Last time I played on the NA server I would constantly buy ore from the AH, smelt it and sell the ingots. That was an easy way to get gold for patron for my EU characters.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Well unfortunately not enough has changed at Archeage. I always liked this game for the sandbox elements and the mechanics of it. It doesn't have the best graphics and the combat is pretty typical. Sadly though the publisher, Trion Worlds, continues to be absolute garbage. This game has gotten what most MMO's do not get. A second and now even a third chance from the players. The response they got for 3.0 was pretty impressive. It's too bad Trion ruined the whole thing once again with terrible management and piss poor preparation. The "fresh start" has been ruined for most people with constant crashing and long que times. A week into this shit show now we are hearing the old DDOS attack excuse suddenly as well. The story of Archeage is and will continue to be that is a solid game run by complete morons. 
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Too little too late.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    At some basic level this publisher has adopted an approach that I view as deeply, deeply destructive. They set up a system where people could sink thousands of real dollars into a game (which in my view takes advantage of people with addictive personalities.)  They are advocating a model where you sink money into a game on top of a subscription.  There have been numerous disasters in management (for example, botched launches); serious problems with bots, and by all accounts an extremely toxic community - which, again, speaks to poor management.  I simply don't understand why anyone would trust this company not to simply open up an intrusive cash shop the first moment that they think it'll give them an advantage - which is the sort of thing that they've repeatedly done in the past.

Fool me once, maybe.  Fool me three times?
    aliven said:
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    So what changed specifically with this version that make it so different from the previous one, apart from the slimmed down cash shop?
    Land is 100 times easier to get, because 3.0 added a ton more of it and those who have a lot of land have ridiculous tax penaltiea that force them to get rid of all but 3-4 plots. Other than thay gear is a lot easier to get, and there is more content. but land is a big one.
    As the only poster who is not on hate trion hype train is you for my knowledge i ask you if it is possible to be competitive as f2p ?
    No, f2p cannot own land. If you grind many many hours........still wont.
    btdt said:
    LOL "Under New Management".... is sometimes just a slick tactic to prey on the unsuspecting.

I remember this one furniture store that was always having a fire sale... until one day it actually did have a fire... then the owner was arrested for arson.
    You gotta pay the sub fee for a few months.  There was a reason I said read first.

Trion does not advertise the "Under New Management"   That is something I came up with because this game is so different then it was a year ago.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Thought i would give the game a try, it is free after all, but the queues for the fresh start were just too long, so i tried one of the legacy servers just to see how the game looked and played, after playing for several hours i thought i'd go join the queue on the fresh start, except, you can't, once you play on a legacy server you can't play on a fresh start server, ever, i even deleted the character on the legacy server but, didn't make any difference. Uninstalled, didn't look back. :o
    edited December 2016
    Phry said:
    Thought i would give the game a try, it is free after all, but the queues for the fresh start were just too long, so i tried one of the legacy servers just to see how the game looked and played, after playing for several hours i thought i'd go join the queue on the fresh start, except, you can't, once you play on a legacy server you can't play on a fresh start server, ever, i even deleted the character on the legacy server but, didn't make any difference. Uninstalled, didn't look back. :o
    Yea man they did that so the legacy players wouldn't bring their gold over to the fresh start servers.  I wouldn't bother trying to play on fresh start its a complete mess.

Bloodaxes said:
    filmoret said:
    Huh? Last time I played on the NA server I would constantly buy ore from the AH, smelt it and sell the ingots. That was an easy way to get gold for patron for my EU characters.

I quit playing when auroria launched I think about 2 years ago.  So yea things a lot different now but back then you couldn't make money from your labor like you can now.  There are items that literally cost 20 gold to make and they are selling for over 200 gold.  Because they require 1k labor to make.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    filmoret said:
    Phry said:
    Yea man they did that so the legacy players wouldn't bring their gold over to the fresh start servers.  I wouldn't bother trying to play on fresh start its a complete mess.

Bloodaxes said:
    filmoret said:

I quit playing when auroria launched I think about 2 years ago.  So yea things a lot different now but back then you couldn't make money from your labor like you can now.  There are items that literally cost 20 gold to make and they are selling for over 200 gold.  Because they require 1k labor to make.
    So nothing new in that regard heh.

Crafting always costed way too much labor for what you get.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2016
    aliven said:
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    So what changed specifically with this version that make it so different from the previous one, apart from the slimmed down cash shop?
    Land is 100 times easier to get, because 3.0 added a ton more of it and those who have a lot of land have ridiculous tax penaltiea that force them to get rid of all but 3-4 plots. Other than thay gear is a lot easier to get, and there is more content. but land is a big one.
    Honestly, you can get patron without paying anything, it just takes time (multiple accounts spends things up as well). Just do your daily stuff and keep a couple of characters around 18 to do the daily dungeon quest that gives 15g. It all adds up. What a lot of people don't realize when you have patron, is that it counts towards both regions on that account (if they haven't changed it). So if you have patron on EU then you get on the NA and vice verse (again assuming they haven't change it). Only thing is that credits don't go between both, so if you use Apex on EU, you only get credits on your EU side. Beyond that, if you're willing to put in the time, you can play the game completely free. Also don't be afraid to pay people for their credits since there's plenty that will gift you stuff if you are willing to pay (i.e. the AH license).

Same applies to Rift (except for the latest expansion, unless you know someone who's willing to buy it for you in exchange for platnium). Just spam the 50 raids as a 65 every week, gives 500~ plat per week. Just got to stay on it, but you can get most stuff as a completely free player. Yes, the games are free but a person is always going to pay, whether it be with time, money, or both. Its just up to the person and the company's plan.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    filmoret said:
    Under new Management.   This is what I have to describe what has happened to this game.  Yes you will have to deal with rng crafting endgame.  But you are talking about 8 months to a year from now before you are even prepared to use crafted gear.  There is land on just about every server and its available to be claimed.  You cannot be attacked in the housing area unless its wartime.  There are tree's everywhere waiting to be harvested.  Its like they replaced the team running this game and made it better.  The cash shop has been trimmed down a lot to help with p2w.  I enter the game and do not feel hopeless because I cannot find any land and I do not feel the wall is suddenly hitting me at max level like it once did. 

The bad.
    You cannot play on any of the fresh start servers.  Do not even try.
    You cannot really enjoy the game without being a patron.

You don't have to jump in and drink the koolaid.  Just login to your old character and run around a bit and see if its working for you.  Check out the empty spots in housing areas and read up on obsidian gear which is the first set of gear you will begin to upgrade for about 8 months and once thats done you will start on crafted gear.
    Obsidian gear is crafted. I'm not sure what this 8 month time frame is that you're referencing either.  I'm a bit confused by all the flip-flopping you've done over this game in the last week or so.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Just be aware that Trion has stated that many of the items removed from the cash shop on the fresh start servers will be reintroduced later on.  Now what items and when is anyones guess but for me, that is enough to keep playing other games.  Why jump in and spend three months building/leveling a toon only to have the biggest P2W (or pay to advance) aspects reintroduced? 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Talonsin said:
    Just be aware that Trion has stated that many of the items removed from the cash shop on the fresh start servers will be reintroduced later on.  Now what items and when is anyones guess but for me, that is enough to keep playing other games.  Why jump in and spend three months building/leveling a toon only to have the biggest P2W (or pay to advance) aspects reintroduced? 
    I heard about that, and I asked @BillMurphy in his Archeage 3.0 review if he knew about Trion reintroducing delisted items later on.
    He said that Trion told him that Labor Pots and Thunderstruck threes will never be back, they are gone for good.
    Knowing Trion I wouldn't trust their BS, but I don't believe they would go so low to lie to Bill.
    So I hope for them that this time what they are saying is the truth or they won't be able to recover from this.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    isch dont think so.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited December 2016
    Albatroes said:

Honestly, you can get patron without paying anything, it just takes time (multiple accounts spends things up as well). Just do your daily stuff and keep a couple of characters around 18 to do the daily dungeon quest that gives 15g. It all adds up. What a lot of people don't realize when you have patron, is that it counts towards both regions on that account (if they haven't changed it). So if you have patron on EU then you get on the NA and vice verse (again assuming they haven't change it). Only thing is that credits don't go between both, so if you use Apex on EU, you only get credits on your EU side. Beyond that, if you're willing to put in the time, you can play the game completely free. Also don't be afraid to pay people for their credits since there's plenty that will gift you stuff if you are willing to pay (i.e. the AH license).

Same applies to Rift (except for the latest expansion, unless you know someone who's willing to buy it for you in exchange for platnium). Just spam the 50 raids as a 65 every week, gives 500~ plat per week. Just got to stay on it, but you can get most stuff as a completely free player. Yes, the games are free but a person is always going to pay, whether it be with time, money, or both. Its just up to the person and the company's plan.
    sure working ingame braindead missions for 12h+ to get patron status wich is like 20 bucks or 1h work in real life. Keep your dreams floating dude. 
    Post edited by exile01 on
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Ignore the 'Never Trum...Trion' people (tee hee hee).  It's foolish.  The expression is 'once bitten, twice shy' not 'once bitten, forever bitter.'  Things and times change, flow.

I self identify as a monkey.

exile01 said:
    Albatroes said:

sure working ingame braindead missions for 12h+ to get patron status wich is like 20 bucks or 1h work in real life. Keep your dreams floating dude. Keep the way you live, i bet ure doing great.
    If you are too cheap that you won't fork over 15$ for patron status.  You have no right to complain about the free version.
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Ignore the 'Never Trum...Trion' people (tee hee hee).  It's foolish.  The expression is 'once bitten, twice shy' not 'once bitten, forever bitter.'  Things and times change, flow.
    I completely understand because I myself was bitten and very upset about it.  I have been waiting 2 years to give this game a second chance and I believe now is a good time for it.  Just remember,   DO NOT try to login the new servers.  You will be wasting time.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    ste2000 said:
    Talonsin said:
    I heard about that, and I asked @BillMurphy in his Archeage 3.0 review if he knew about Trion reintroducing delisted items later on.
    He said that Trion told him that Labor Pots and Thunderstruck threes will never be back, they are gone for good.
    Knowing Trion I wouldn't trust their BS, but I don't believe they would go so low to lie to Bill.
    So I hope for them that this time what they are saying is the truth or they won't be able to recover from this.
    I hope what they told Bill was true but Trion representatives have either lied or been completely wrong before in their statements.  Here is one example:

Earlier this afternoon, ArcheAge Community Manager Scapes hopped on the forums to kick off a local question-and-answer session with ArcheAge fans and answered a number of queries, chief among them a question about how much control Trion will have over the prices in ArcheAge's western cash shop. "Lots, actually," Scapes told the forum-goers. "We decide what's in it and at what price, simple as that."

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2014/03/28/trion-we-control-prices-in-archeages-cash-shop/

I just find it odd that once the game went live and everything in the cash shop and labor related things were changed in a negative fashion compared to the beta, Trion then started blaming XLGames for the prices and regen rates.

Here's to hoping that Trion has learned their lesson and is now trying to be honest with the player base.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Earlier this afternoon, ArcheAge Community Manager Scapes hopped on the forums to kick off a local question-and-answer session with ArcheAge fans and answered a number of queries, chief among them a question about how much control Trion will have over the prices in ArcheAge's western cash shop. "Lots, actually," Scapes told the forum-goers. "We decide what's in it and at what price, simple as that."

That wasn't how it was though was it so trust and Trion seem mutually exclusive.
    Chamber of Chains
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Earlier this afternoon, ArcheAge Community Manager Scapes hopped on the forums to kick off a local question-and-answer session with ArcheAge fans and answered a number of queries, chief among them a question about how much control Trion will have over the prices in ArcheAge's western cash shop. "Lots, actually," Scapes told the forum-goers. "We decide what's in it and at what price, simple as that."

That wasn't how it was though was it so trust and Trion seem mutually exclusive.
    Chamber of Chains