Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space Engineers Enters Beta After 3 Years Of Early Access - MMORPG.com News

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSpace Engineers Enters Beta After 3 Years Of Early Access - MMORPG.com News

Space Engineers, a sandbox survival multiplayer title, has entered its Closed Beta phase of development after 3 years in Early Access. The latest update brings a number of overhauled systems and new experiences into the game that lays the groundwork for future content additions and optimization.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I never understood why Valve is allowing games to be listed in Early Access for so long. In my opinion Early Access shouldn't be the main funding platform for the developer. That being said, Space Engineers is a pretty good game for all those crafting/building maniacs. Although if you want to make your own scripts, you must know C#.

Cheers.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited December 2016
    As long as a game continues to be built on during early access then I don't mind that tag. It is when devs take advantage of it for a quick buck then let the game die while they work on the next cash grab where it becomes a big problem.

I think Space and Medieval Engineers are made by Keen Software with their own engine. They do a nice job with their games.. Not many you can say they about.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Couple of years in Early Access, then a few years in Closed Beta, then a year or two in Open Beta, followed by a year of Headstart !

By the time the game finally "launches", they're already selling pre-orders for the sequel, lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Why not I guess. If you can call cash shop games "Free" to play, let's just use words like "closed" and "beta" to mean whatever... I was closed yesterday but then I had a massive beta and my stomach feels much better today.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2016
    Very cool game that has come along way , would be great if the devs gave as much attention to Medieval Engineers
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Iselin said:
    Why not I guess. If you can call cash shop games "Free" to play, let's just use words like "closed" and "beta" to mean whatever... I was closed yesterday but then I had a massive beta and my stomach feels much better today.
    Alpha, beta and early access mean pretty much squat now. The amount of devs using pre-pre-alpha or a variant of it just makes me cringe.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Too many people are caught up in labels.  Who cares if they call it 'Early Access' for 12 years.  If the games playable and you're having fun... who cares.  If they're doing wipes and things, then there is a problem, but whether they call it early access, headstart, or whatever, I gives a damn.  Can I play it and is it fun.

I self identify as a monkey.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Too many people are caught up in labels.  Who cares if they call it 'Early Access' for 12 years.  If the games playable and you're having fun... who cares.  If they're doing wipes and things, then there is a problem, but whether they call it early access, headstart, or whatever, I gives a damn.  Can I play it and is it fun.

Except when it comes to testing.  Alpha/Beta testing should be for testing.  Testing is important.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Looking at this game it doesn't appeal to me at all.  Building things from scratch and slowly piecing together a space station with over 100 sections sounds more like work then fun.  I get a lot of people enjoy this type of game.   Does the game come with prebuilt models or do i have to manually build every single part of every single ship, station, ect?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Never even heard of this title until just now. It actually looks interesting and i might give it a try.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    love how someone actually build himself a serenity there :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Early access is nothing more than selling the game unfinished. As long as people continue to pony up money for unfinished games companies will be more than happy to sell you an unfinished product.
  • drygindrygin Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Eternal alpha finally turned into an eternal beta! XDDDD
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Since when did MMOs start calling alphaa "early access"?....Just another way to ripoff gamers