Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronciles of Elyria - Not Pay to Win

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    ghaiana said:
    By now you have screaming little boys in every MMO that call the MMO pay to win, since most MMO's have cash stores. It's just plain jealousy in most cases, because mom won't give them a cc. I am a mom, I know how that works..
    The age of the person swiping the card is irrelevant. What they're buying with that swipe is not.

P2W is real.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Before you are born in 1216 in England you can pay to be Henry III or pay regular price to be a peasant.

Before you are born in 1866 you can pay to be born into the mainstream or pay basic entry to be born as african american.

Let me know how that works out for you...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Xodic said:

A game is built to be played, playing the game is the effort. Anything you can purchase to bypass effort within the game is inherently "Pay to Win".

You played the game and earned a castle - you played to win the castle.
    You bought a castle in the cash shop - you paid to win the castle.

That's the way I think.
    Games needs to be played, I don't understand why people pay to skip content.
    Games are meant to pass the time, are time sinks.
    If you don't have time, don't play games.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited December 2016
    simon155 said:
    fodell54 said:
    It's not P2W it's Pay to GM.
    Epic fail reading. You should frame this and hang in on the wall.

When you're done follow the link and try to read it this time.
    Nah I didn't read it at all I just commented. So in the end it's not a fail because I don't care what you said or what you have to say. All I cared about was commenting.

This game is going to be a giant turd no matter how you spin it. You don't even need to look at a cash shop or donator benefits. Just look at how the developers speak to the community. Seriously, just go read the official forums and see what the developers think about you just for posting on this site.

Really it's just common sense but whatever jump on that hype wagon. However, thanks for you input it was greatly appreciate.
    Post edited by fodell54 on
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016
    When you need to dedicate an entire forum post trying to prove how a game is not P2W then the game itself is on very fishy ground. You can justify it all you want but you cannot deny there are some powerful benefits being handed to big donators that will have a big impact come launch.

That's all I got to say on the matter.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Sad to see these people so desperate for justice and equality mean while this same people support Capitalism that exploits workers to fullest even in First world not mentioning Second and Third world.

Take your politics and shove them up your you know what.  This is a gaming forum.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited December 2016
    fodell54 said:

Seriously, just go read the official forums and see what the developers think about you just for posting on this site. 
    Actually i think he originally thought his followers would come here and spread the word, that's why he linked my other thread in one of his posts (when he closed down discussion about one guy buying multiple kingdoms [the $40,000 guy]).  Unfortunately for him, there are a lot of rationally skeptical people here who can see past the spin.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited December 2016
    how do I delete?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Actually i think he originally thought his followers would come here and spread the word, that's why he linked my other thread in one of his posts (when he closed down discussion about one guy buying multiple kingdoms [the $40,000 guy]).  Unfortunately for him, there are a lot of rationally skeptical people here who can see past the spin.

httpsmediatenorcoimages44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62raw

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    edited December 2016
    So everyone starts the game in the same state.... Let's say all wearing a speedo and carrying a club because I just like that image... No, wait?  People can pay real money to be dressed in furs and have an estate, titles and lands, and start way ahead of the other idiots wearing only speedos and carrying clubs?  How is that not pay to win?  Oh.. one of the guys in the speedos can come at me with the club in my big castle and take it away.?  Oh sure... Come at me brah!  That's fair... Not pay to win at all.... I see.  I had it all wrong.. Clearly a level playing field.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I'm just starting to read up on this title and boy does this one look scary.  So many of the systems sound amazing and then I get to the monetization and see that to be the king costs $10K USD.  Reeeeely???

And then I read arguments from people who are trying to convince the community it's not a game where spending more gets you more in-game power and greater likelihood of dominating your enemies.  Let's be frank, those that support the P2W monetization approach always argue that P2W is subjective.  It's not.  Your game is P2W if your game systems support PvP in any form (combat/strategy) and paying money provides you an advantage over other players.   It's really pretty simple.  But this particular game has an excessive P2W model in that it provides ranks up to King/Queen which cost $10K to obtain.

I say scary, because the word psychotic comes to mind when the devs and backers argue that this is an equitable monetization approach.

Listen,  I don't care if you want to go to Vegas and blow $10K on craps or spend your whole paycheck playing the lottery.  That's your business and I don't care.  But don't come to MMORPG.COM and argue that a video game in the RPG genre isn't P2W when your stature in the game at launch is predicated on how much you spend.  It doesn't matter whether that stature can be lost.  You paid to obtain an advantage over other players at launch and that's P2W.

I strongly suggest the community NOT back this title and send a message to Soulbound Studios that this isn't the type of game the MMORPG community will support.  And if they want to continue to build a P2W title like this, then they will severely cripple their mass appeal to this community.

My suggestion to Soulbound Studios is to take your Influence System and rework it to be an in-game, after launch system.  Rather than recruiting players or posting on the forums, influence should be gained through the completion of in-game activities.  And it's ok if the entire game world starts off as peasants.  Let the people who PLAY your game determine who will become royalty, as opposed to who can invest/spend the most in your cash shop and board warrior before the game launches.

Or follow your vision which to me is purely a cash grab and I wish you best of luck.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Xodic said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    By the posts this community do think its P2W. There are many forms of P2W both PvP and PvE, games where you can buy land in some way seem rather prone to land baron P2W.

Crowd funding has an insidious side which makes those who have put money in want the game to be a success and start advocating it without realising how they were putting their rationality on hold. But we have seen this all before with pre-ordered games, once bought you have a vested interest in the game being decent. I don't know about the OP, but that's bound to effect the official forums.
    This is why using terms with no common agreed upon definition is a bad way to frame the argument. If we stopped trying to distill the issue down to a bandwagon slogan then arguing against it would be a lot more difficult.

It's hard to argue "P2W" when it's subjective. It's not hard to argue the horrible effects of buying an advantage in PvP and letting players play GM. There is no more yes/no finger pointing when someone has to answer why they think having those in game is a good idea. They actually have to answer or lose the argument. 
    The definition and meaning are clear to everyone. People simply choose to tighten the buckle on their horse blinders in a last ditch attempt to convince themselves that the genre is not devolving.

Definition of win

1:a :  to get possession of by effort or fortune
    1:b :  to obtain by work : earn <striving to win a living from the sterile soil>

5:  to reach by expenditure of effort

A game is built to be played, playing the game is the effort. Anything you can purchase to bypass effort within the game is inherently "Pay to Win".

You played the game and earned a castle - you played to win the castle.
    You bought a castle in the cash shop - you paid to win the castle.
    1:a :  to get possession of by effort or fortune

It's not subjective.
    This post should be stickied as the definition of P2W.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Pay to win ????
    This game isn't even pay to play at the moment.  ..... and probably never will be.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited February 2017
    Pay to win ????
    This game isn't even pay to play at the moment.  ..... and probably never will be.
    You have a point...unless they sell more p2w to make it come true!!!!

lmao

I swear though the more I read in the games own forum the more they remind me of the fail pathfinder online community.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Every games says it's not pay to win.  Players can buy fleets of ships or start a game owning land that will take other players months to acquire and during those months the player with the land has expanded his holdings and making a killing in taxes.  But that's ok because he knows he can lose it all and his 10k will be a memory.  

Can't the assets be passed on down the line to your children or your next soul or is it like a survival game, once you die all the stuff you bought  and own with that 5 or 10K dies with you?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    " In your bog standard MMO"

What is "bog standard"?  I never heard that phrase before but I like it.

As for your arguments, I'm not sure but I think you can pass down advantages and titles to alts before you die.  So the concept that nothing is permanent is not an absolute.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited February 2017

As for your arguments, I'm not sure but I think you can pass down advantages and titles to alts before you die.  So the concept that nothing is permanent is not an absolute.
    It means 'run of the mill' or 'same as every other'.

I'm guessing the origin comes from a time when companies would sell peat (from peat bogs) with each company claiming their peat was better than the competition's, but in reality all the peat was virtually the same standard.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

I'm guessing the origin comes from a time when companies would sell peat (from peat bogs) with each company claiming their peat was better than the competition's, but in reality all the peat was virtually the same standard.
    Nope nothing to do with peat bogs. The expression is not that old (it dates from the 1960's). It may have something to do with public toilets (bogs) and the toilet paper they used, but the reality is that no one knows.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Nope nothing to do with peat bogs. The expression is not that old (it dates from the 1960's). It may have something to do with public toilets (bogs) and the toilet paper they used, but the reality is that no one knows.

Well there's no proof it doesn't have anything to do with peats bogs. It wouldn't need to be old because peat was very popular all the way through into the 2000's. 
    I would say it sounds more logical than something to do with toilets or the box-standard option that gets propositioned.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    According to discussions on this site, every single game out there is P2W.

Absurd, meaningless term used as derogatory term for something one does not like.

Who cares about reason though....
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:

Absurd, meaningless term used as derogatory term for something one does not like.

Pay 10k to be king.

Who cares about blatantly obvious reasons though...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
    Nilden said:
    Pay 10k to be king.

Thanks for demonstrating my point. Carry on with your moot ranting...
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    To me, p2w means that you pay money to get an advantage, any advantage. The only game I know that has a cash shop and is not p2w is DOTA2, as nothing you can buy there has any impact on the gameplay. 

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    Nilden said:
    Pay 10k to be king.

Thanks for demonstrating my point. Carry on with your moot ranting...
    Sorry maybe I was not clear enough.

Paying 10 grand to be king is a very clear reason to call this game Pay 2 Win.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:

Pay 10k to be king.

It's another reason why I wouldn't play this game even if it was to actually release with some years of delay.

Ask yourself:
    Do you want to play with people who deny that paying 10.000$ to become king is pay to win?
    Harbinger of Fools