Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Superhero MMOs: Existing Characters vs. Your Own?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited December 2016 in Polls
In superhero MMOs, do you prefer to play your own character (CoH, CO, DCUO, etc)? Or would you rather play existing characters (Marvel Heroes)? Vote and tell us why in the comments!

Comments

• eruexeeruexe Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I came to role play as someone I can't be (Some dude with super powers). Not the guys from Marvel/DC, doesn't matter which universe but would like to just create my own instead of playing as someone who already has "history" (cough cough.. Marvel Heroes)
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Having played City of Heroes for years, I definitely enjoyed coming up with my own creations. But I also love to play existing characters in Marvel Heroes, so for me it doesn't matter one way or another. I suppose it also depends on the design of the game itself. It's a lot easier to just focus on your own thing in a game like Marvel Heroes. The issue is also lessened as the roster grows and new costumes are added, since players are often playing a wide variety of characters. However, I do think that if I were doing City of Heroes style missions with six other Wolverines, that might bug me a bit!
  • NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I don't play mmos to play as other peoples characters. If I have a choice I make my own character.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    There is just something wrong with seeing 10 Batman characters running around in an MMO. Since Batman is unique, there should only be one. Batman is just an example of course. Now, if it is say a part of the story that I play through the eyes of Batman and I am not seen as 10 other Batmen running around, I have no problem doing a one time only story mission. I much prefer using my own creation with its own "history". That "history" might involve Batman and maybe even be model after Batman, but it would be my unique take.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I don't mind being superman.  But when there's 100 of us looking at each other.  Kinda ruins it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    Having 10 Superman in the same Arena doesn't seems like fun.
    Real Super Heros are ideal for Mobas where you can have a group with all different characters,  but it doesn't suit MMOs.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If the combat is good and I enjoy the story lines it really doesn't matter to me.  It's like other MMO's where every dark elf or ranger looks the same.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Guess which one am I?

httpg02aalicdncomkfHTB1baTeOpXXXXbPaXXXq6xXFXXXH30pcs-lot-font-b-Batman-b-font-font-b-Begins-b-font-superheroes-Marvel-Minifigures-lweaponjpg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    filmoret said:
    I don't mind being superman.  But when there's 100 of us looking at each other.  Kinda ruins it.

You need this: 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I liked Marvel heroes, but the sameness of the characters was one of the things that drove me away.  When I was playing CoH, if an idea came into my head, I could make it!  My very first character was based on a toon from Gold Key comics.  You would never see him in a modern book, since the character died with Gold Key in the 70's, but I liked Dr Solar when I was a kid.  So that was my first one!  After that I played around and fine tuned dozens of characters. 

I want to do the same now! WAAAAAH!! I want my CoH fix!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    100% my own character. Not only do I prefer it in single player games, I consider it to be mandatory in MMO games.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I want to play my own heroes/villains.
    I also want the mouse pad you said I won last month. I'm still waiting.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Other game types fine, MMORPGs fuck no. *channels Walter Sobchak* My buddies didn't die face down in the muck so people could play five-thousand variations of Spiderman, or Deadpool, or Groot!!

Also I have trouble seeing DCUO in the same category of freedom as CoH or CO, as I feel their power sets are very limited. They're just the basic MMO holy trinity which doesn't jive with how versatile the super heroes should be.

I agree with DCUO not up to COH standards. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    waynejr2 said:
    Other game types fine, MMORPGs fuck no. *channels Walter Sobchak* My buddies didn't die face down in the muck so people could play five-thousand variations of Spiderman, or Deadpool, or Groot!!

Also I have trouble seeing DCUO in the same category of freedom as CoH or CO, as I feel their power sets are very limited. They're just the basic MMO holy trinity which doesn't jive with how versatile the super heroes should be.

I agree with DCUO not up to COH standards. 
    While I agree in a sense that CoH had some decent classes and CO does have a bunch of powers ..  COs power sets were mostly mundane.. one set was so very similar to another, it was basically the same powers just with one condition difference,  like one would be knockback while the other would set fire.. etc.  

DCUO had less in the way of sets to choose from per character BUT I feel the powers in general were way more varied,  and the addition of weapon sets being apart from powers - and the additional powers (however unused many of them are) from the iconic and movement sets were nice additions to make varied characters across the board that could fit at least 2 roles.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    My characters, not theirs.   Especially when they're not doing such a great job to begin with. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    It's not so much that it doesn't matter to me as it all really depends on story and setting. I would prefer creating my own, but it has to be done well.

CoH/V was great with making your own characters. Let us speak of it no more, RNGeezus have mercy upon its soul.

I never really felt that spiffy with the CO set up. Everything felt same-ish. DCUO doesn't really grab me for long for some reason I can't explain. Feels sterile and almost like they took the worst aspects of both options.

Marvel Heroes, on the other hand, feels like it has a story and setting that is set up well for playing pre-existing characters and works pretty well.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Even if MH is not an mmo, it would be so easy to vote against it in any poll, simply because I don't like diablo clones :wink:  (and also because I still hold some grudges against Marvel for backing out from behind CO... would've been an awesome game with their IP. Still is great, don't get me wrong)

But with this question it doesn't even matter what's listed on the other side. Obviously an own hero, that's the whole point. The IP's characters are perfect for NPCs in the world, in the hands of the writers, and not for the players. I think both CO and DCUO went the right way in there. Nobody wants hundreds of Supermen in the world - unless that world needs the Bicycle Repair Man :lol:  (nice link, @waynejr2 )

..  COs power sets were mostly mundane.. one set was so very similar to another, it was basically the same powers just with one condition difference,  like one would be knockback while the other would set fire.. etc. 
    One of the few advantages the Marvel - Champions switch brought that they had not design a character builder system, they could use the Hero system, which is maybe the most "free" RPG systems in regards of character building. And they implemented it pretty nicely.
    "similar to each other, basically the same power" ... but thats the case in all the games, if you narrow it down to that level... melee damage, range damage, DoT, interrupt, heal, etc.  all the same :wink:

CO has a lot of synergies between powers, and that's the most fun part of the system. Sure, there are plenty of powers with knockdown for example, but each one is different and can be useful in different themed heroes. Not to mention their usage is situational, for example knock up is great with the added falling damage - until you get to Lemuria, since when you knock up in the water, the mob will just laugh at you, and you also need to swim up after them if you're melee :wink:
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    It's the whole point to super hero mmos.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Alverant said:
    I want to play my own heroes/villains.
    I also want the mouse pad you said I won last month. I'm still waiting.
    Print this out and lay it under your mouse.

Image result for funny mousepad pictures
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • JIPIXXVIIIIJIPIXXVIIII Member CommonPosts: 1
    doesn't matter  , for me caracthers whith the bests skills depending games,gameplay  and if im alone or in team  .... see u and happy hollidays from pround "QC" Frenchie Frog
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Well a question like this always leads me to a general idea that I don't usually like wearing what someone else created for example if I'm into cosplaying I definitely wouldn't be one of those dudes dressed up as obi-wan, anakin, vader, luke, han solo etc. I would be crafting my own star wars character of the character I'm trying to create. Same goes for all the star wars lore in general I don't follow it to the detail because I prefer writing my own star wars lore than disney doing stuff to the lore that I disagree with. You see I'm a fan of the universe they have created but it looks like they haven't made any attempt to make stories different, complex and dark so thats why I like to write my own.

People want to do what they want to do, not what others tell them to do or expect them to do. At least in some cases.....thats just how it is.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • grand119grand119 Member CommonPosts: 2
    그랜드게임 kt.gme1000.com 추천인 다빈치
    sweet114.com 게임바로가기 

• BalanceMageBalanceMage Member UncommonPosts: 2
    for me i have to make my own whats the point of playing if there are existing characters and everyone picks the same hero cuz you know one of them is going to be unbalanced
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited December 2016
    Im amazed by the answers. I prefer to play my own creation as well. I just dont see much of a difference between games like marvel heroes and black desert. Most mmo let you customize your characters visuals to some degree but imo almost all character development is chosen for you. In tera is one lancer really different than another? In wow is one warlock really different from another?

Imo a game with pregenerated characters is simply being honest where as most mmo give you an illusion of choice...

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file