Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen – Shattered Dreams

Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
http://dereksmart.com/2016/10/star-citizen-shattered-dreams/

Not going to post it here because it's really long.

This project is already 2 years behind schedule and they haven't even showed the single player game yet. I think we'll be lucky if this game launches before 2020.

OdeezeeBabuinix

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "Shattered Dreams"

Cry me a river, lol
    Odeezee
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    "Shattered Dreams"

Cry me a river, lol
    I can see how you got an Epic rating with such quality posts.
    Odeezee
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited December 2016
    The game will get released that I'm sure of, but It wont come even close to that dream list that Chris keeps adding on.
    Post edited by Maurgrim on
    Odeezee
    Atlan99 said:
    "Shattered Dreams"

Cry me a river, lol
    I can see how you got an Epic rating with such quality posts.
    Yup, I got an epic rating because I have both a sense of humour and the ability to never take things too seriously. Events in the game industry are not of world-changing significance... :D
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    We will still be discussing about a release date in 3 years from now.

Turns out that the evil suit wearers who ruin the creativity of developers by enforcing a release date actually fullfill a pretty important role after all.
    OdeezeeHatefull
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Maurgrim said:
    The game will get released that I'm sure about, but It wont come even close to that dream list that Chris keeps adding on.
    It will release like ARK: Survival did.

1-let ppl pay for it claiming it is alpha
    2-release official DLCs for $xxxx
    3-with any complaint about bugs or bad content: refer to the alpha status.
    4- goto 1)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Maurgrim said:
    The game will get released that I'm sure about, but It wont come even close to that dream list that Chris keeps adding on.
    I'm 50/50 at his point. Things don't look good at all. If enough players decided to demand refunds it would force CIG to file for bankruptcy.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    The only shattered dream is Derek's dream of being relevant.
    HatefullBabuinix

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Muke said:
    Maurgrim said:
    It will release like ARK: Survival did.

1-let ppl pay for it claiming it is alpha
    2-release official DLCs for $xxxx
    3-with any complaint about bugs or bad content: refer to the alpha status.
    4- goto 1)
    1) Don't worry, they made people pay for some pictures with SC
    2) We call them modules these days, a grey area without the negative connotation, they might cost more too
    3) Bugs and bad content are now features, Roberts is without flaw

It will release for sure, and if there is one game of creating an actual river of tears this one might be it. It will in no way resemble Roberts his vision.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Dakeru said:

Turns out that the evil suit wearers who ruin the creativity of developers by enforcing a release date actually fullfill a pretty important role after all.
    Two very important roles. Not only do they keep projects flowing in a reasonable fashion but they shelter the teams from constant scrutiny by having communications professionals control the speaking points.

It's not just SC. We've seen what amateur PR did to NMS and what the constant scrutiny of crowdfunded games does when a developer pulls ideas out his rear end during the conceptual phase in COE.

In the early days of KS some people actually did think that removing studio oversight was a good thing. Most have figured out by now that it ain't necessarily so.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:

Two very important roles. Not only do they keep projects flowing in a reasonable fashion but they shelter the teams from constant scrutiny by having communications professionals control the speaking points.

It's not just SC. We've seen what amateur PR did to NMS and what the constant scrutiny of crowdfunded games does when a developer pulls ideas out his rear end during the conceptual phase in COE.

In the early days of KS some people actually did think that removing studio oversight was a good thing. Most have figured out by now that it ain't necessarily so.
    For the games that do release (D:OS 1+2, POE, Tyranny, Wasteland 2 ETC) I'd say it's been a boon for the most part, the jury is still out when it comes to MMOs though. Which development time is simply much longer. more questionable and comes with a lot of what ifs. With SC as well as COE, where I say they went wrong was not being upfront about that dev time and what ifs. That said.. saying give us money now and wait close to a decade to get your game is a much harder sell. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2016
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:

For the games that do release (D:OS 1+2, POE, Tyranny, Wasteland 2 ETC) I'd say it's been a boon for the most part, the jury is still out when it comes to MMOs though. Which development time is simply much longer. more questionable and comes with a lot of what ifs. With SC as well as COE, where I say they went wrong was not being upfront about that dev time and what ifs. That said.. saying give us money now and wait close to a decade to get your game is a much harder sell. 
    Contrast SC and COE with Camelot Unchained. What's different in CU? The project is led by someone with a lot of experience actually running studios and speaking to fans and the gaming media. The other two are led by either idiot savant designers or just plain idiots depending on how you look at it.
    HatefullBabuinix
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:

Contrast SC and COE with Camelot Unchained. What's different in CU? The project is led by someone with a lot of experience actually running studios and speaking to fans and the gaming media. The other two are led by either idiot savant designers or just plain idiots depending on how you look at it.
    Very true... I'd give the same credit to Brad and co as well.  At least now anyway as they've decided to get as much done as they can without going back to ask people to fill their coffers. They tried to start off on the wrong foot, yet were able to correct themselves with a few more steps.

Show it's possible before asking for money.
    Babuinix

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:

Don't think it was a case of not being up front, but of CR being an idiot. Did he honestly think a fully functional decent game would be released in 3 - 4 years? 

Tbh we're just as idiotic for believing that it would and throwing money at it, even though history has shown us that the creation of games these days can take double that time or more.

IMHO i think at this point complaining about an old release date is pointless now. 

Also i think if you wish to have a good discussion, Derek smart isn't the best point of reference.
    Hatefull
    Herase said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Dakeru said:

Also i think if you wish to have a good discussion, Derek smart isn't the best point of reference.
    Did you read what he wrote? He makes some good points.

This isn't just about being two years past the release date. It's about when and if the game(s) ever get released.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Its one of Dereks better blogs.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    edited December 2016
    The only shattered dream is Derek's dream of being relevant.
    Derek is kinda an asshat, but then so is Chris.  Well matched actually.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    After watching the latest trailer, all I know is they better get it released soon or it will look dated when it is released. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Atlan99 said:
    Maurgrim said:
    I'm 50/50 at his point. Things don't look good at all. If enough players decided to demand refunds it would force CIG to file for bankruptcy.
    That's unlikely.

As long as there are new people giving CIG new crowdfunding some millions every month, the amount of refunds CIG may have to pay is insignificant compared to that.

If on the other hand people lose their trust in CIG and stop giving them new crowdfunding, then it doesn't matter how many also try to get refunds because without constant new funding CIG will run out of money.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Most MMO's get the game out and then work on adding content.  SC seems to be adding content then updating the old content.  I've never heard of a first time company working on two major games at the same time, SC and S42.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Most MMO's get the game out and then work on adding content.  SC seems to be adding content then updating the old content.  I've never heard of a first time company working on two major games at the same time, SC and S42.
    What about Soulbound Studios ?

First time developer, working on a MUD and an MMO simultaneously, AND promising to deliver both in 12 months !
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I see the Derek Smart sheep have come out again. This post makes its way to these forums every time a video or announcement is made.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If Derek could just stick to actual facts and not have 90% of his blog posts be a rehash of old stuff and his "I didnt want to say this" or "new information has been reported to me" bullcrap, it might actually be taken seriously.

Not long ago, the initial release date for SQ42 was said to be end of 2016.  Missing that date is not really a big deal but not showing a single mission or portion of gameplay at the Con should be sending an alarm to any backer.  Are they really that far behind that they can not show a single mission yet?

There are a lot of signs that things are not as we have been lead to believe at CIG.  Unfortunately, it is hard to see those things when there is so much noise drowning out the signal.
    Hatefull
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Atlan99 said:
    http://dereksmart.com/2016/10/star-citizen-shattered-dreams/

Not going to post it here because it's really long.

This project is already 2 years behind schedule and they haven't even showed the single player game yet. I think we'll be lucky if this game launches before 2020.

Aren't you the same guy that used to post how SWTOR was going to be the best game ever released. You also said you could see how $175 for a collections addition could be expensive for some but you have some much money it doesn't matter. Wasn't that you?

Anyways, how's that working out for you?
    Hatefull
    Torval said:

That gives me an idea. He could be the new Minister of Gaming in our new sovereign overlords cabinet.
    No.

He would absolutely have to be the Minister of Information !

Remember Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, Iraq's Info Minister during the 2003 Gulf War ? :D