Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many clans/corps/guilds have you created or been a leader of?

DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
edited December 2016 in Polls
We've all been in clans, corps, guilds (SO MANY GUILDS!). But, how many have YOU been in control of? Whether you created them or took control (legally?), share how many times you've been the leader!

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Zero.

I am not counting guilds where the only purpose was to create it for more bank space, and have no members.

I have been an officer in a lot of guilds, but never want the stress of being the GL.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Just 1 back in SWG (RedX), though we later merged with another guild called Fight Club.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I usually create my own guild to get the additional bank space and not get spammed with anonymous invites every 5 minutes.

Back in the days when i still had some friends it was also easier to share stuff with a guild bank.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    My list goes on and on. From eve online all the way to Wildstar. 
    Im a bit of a control freak and very picky about the name of guild im associated with so ive always found it easier to just make my own guild. It also gives me something extra to work on (like websites etc)
    Some of my guilds have just been super casual while others ive made have ended up being some of the best in the server.

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited December 2016

2 in UO, one in WoW, one in AoC, one in CS:S (does that count?!) and one recently but I can't... remember... what game it was... oh gosh it must've sucked... I know I've done at least 6.

My longest running guild was in WoW, played sometime after launch and created Order of the Brew with my friend Rincewind. Gosh, I can't even remember the server name, started with a U, reminded me of umbrella, and they created the ruins of the same name in one of the expansions... that was also my most embarrassing time playing as a guild leader. At one point a guild officer accused me of undermining her, I didn't know Exactly what that meant at the time, so I clearly disagreed with her which undermined her more. Also, we tried doing MC when it was the first raid dungeon, somewhere out there I am sure there is an audio clip of me yelling over Ventrilo... Learned some fun lessons running that guild. Still though, our guild-only events were epic. We used to claim the arena for a day (literally, anyone that stepped in it would be obliterated because, well, we were using it) and do all kinds of 1on1, 2on2, 5on5 15on15 fights in bracketed fashion until we had a clear winner. The scavenger hunts were also fun, and the 'top of the continent to the bottom of the continent' races in groups (level 10s with level 60s, level 30s with level 40s) and no fast travel or mounts allowed, oh gosh those were awesome! Deciding to attack Thunderbluff, by grouping 40 of us together in a raid and running there the LONG way, stopping for group pictures and to hand out more high quality alcoholic beverages (turning on bloom effect to enable blurry vision was Required) and when we finally got to Thunderbluff, enough people spotted us and alerted everyone that we saw a lot of people flying overhead to get there to defend it, we get up top and we're so drunk people swerved unintentionally off the bridges from the elevators and died when they hit the bottom... people were on vent laughing and having a great time. We were getting massacred but enough of us killed the right NPCs to really piss off some horde players. It was nice getting messages from horde players on their alliance characters saying it was really fun and they enjoyed when all 40 of us came up the elevators and at least 10 of us swerved off the side and died.

EDIT: Uldum! It was on the Uldum server. So, yeah.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Counting only the ones that were actual guilds and not just a tag for family/friends - three. 

• The Outpost in Ultima Online ( a snapshot of that old guild site is here)
    • Aimless Corsairs in Earth and Beyond (our site before moving ot the EBPortal - http://themess.com/kidd/ )
    • Had a decent sized guild in Grepolis but can't remember the name. Held #1 on our server for all of 3 weeks before we were smashed to pieces by an alliance of the three guilds below us. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I was the co-leader of Novus Ordos Seclorum alliance in EVE Online and we held about 50% of the territory in the Providence region for six months.

I was the co-CEO of Black Watch Legionnaires in EVE Online, a small gang PVP corporation that harassed Providence and Geminate for a couple of years.

I was the Guild Leader of two different high end raiding guilds in Age of Conan, although I wasn't the raid leader.  I just planned stuff and one of my best buddies ran the raids.

All of that was several years ago now.  I don't have the time, energy or enthusiasm to herd dozens of special snowflakes around in games anymore.  Now I just sit back and let others do all the planning.
    H0urg1ass said:
    I was the co-leader of Novus Ordos Seclorum alliance in EVE Online and we held about 50% of the territory in the Providence region for six months.

I was the co-CEO of Black Watch Legionnaires in EVE Online, a small gang PVP corporation that harassed Providence and Geminate for a couple of years.

I was the Guild Leader of two different high end raiding guilds in Age of Conan, although I wasn't the raid leader.  I just planned stuff and one of my best buddies ran the raids.

All of that was several years ago now.  I don't have the time, energy or enthusiasm to herd dozens of special snowflakes around in games anymore.  Now I just sit back and let others do all the planning.

Wasn't it fun though? Minus the work of course.

At least you're still playing, that's a positive boon for the MMO community!

Sometimes I wish I had more time, but with a family, well, some things just matter more now.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Just one. While it was fun it was also very stressful.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I took over one guild in order to close it down after the death of it's former leader.  Eventually, I booted everyone except the former leader and alts to reserve the guild name.  Games really have no good mechanisms to honor a friend in-game after a real-life loss.  A memorial or some kind of hall of heroes where the name could be remembered would be excellent.  A RP ceremony would be even more excellent, especially since the game in question (EQ1) had GM run wedding ceremonies.

My only attempt at leading a guild, and all I got to do was pass bad news around.  Possibly a tougher job than I bargained for.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

H0urg1ass said:

Sometimes I wish I had more time, but with a family, well, some things just matter more now.

Get them to play, make a family guild -problem solved :)

I've been in one guild that was lead by a relatively young single woman and her three sons. It was awesome to witness how well they got along with each other, with much respect and love. Her sons were very well behaved, always polite, helpful and positive, despite their obvious tough real life conditions. Altogether it had a huge effect on the guild's overall mood.

Been a pleasure to raid with this friendly bunch.

Volgore said:
    H0urg1ass said:

I've been in one guild that was lead by a relatively young single woman and her three sons. It was awesome to witness how well they got along with each other, with much respect and love. Her sons were very well behaved, always polite, helpful and positive, despite their obvious tough real life conditions. Altogether it had a huge effect on the guild's overall mood.

What game was that? I've played with people whose' kids played, like in WoW, but the chat wasn't always appropriate for them if people didn't know there was a kid present.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited December 2016
    Led a raid-group during most of vanilla wow, reformed the group during TBC with one of the officers but disbanded it a few months later. The drive and passion that existed in the group during vanilla wow had simply disappeared while transitioning through 10-man content so felt like the right call to call it quits.

It was an interesting thing doing that sort of leading but those 2 years felt like half a lifetime so have no desire to return to leadership roles. Still ended up becoming officer+healing leader in two separate raid guilds during wotlk though. Some leaders just can't take no for an answer.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited December 2016
    I ran a pretty success guild in WoW starting in BC till the end of WoTLK.  We were on a very heavy populated server and my guild consistently stayed in the top three.  We were the second guild on server to take down the 3 drake fight in the Obsidian Sanctum when it came out.  Never could get first place, but the first place guild was in the top 10 in the world so it wasn't realistic to beat them lol.

After a while I just got tired of all the drama and entitlement people had coming into the guild.  You could never please everyone and every decision I made was bound to piss off someone.  Eventually, one day I logged in and decided "why the hell am I doing all this work for all these dickheads that don't appreciate it anyways".  So I held a guild meeting and disbanded the guild.  

I tried to make another guild a few years later when SWTOR launched.  It went well at first and we started raiding.  Quickly becoming one of the top guilds on the server.  But it didn't take long for all the same issues to follow.  So I passed the lead and bowed out to play Tera lol.

I really doubt i'll ever run another guild.  It's a very thankless job and people always want everything without giving a single bit of effort back.  Any guild I join now I have a lot of respect for the guild leadership.  Because I sure as hell don't want to do it anymore lol.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I'm a follower not a leader.
    Chamber of Chains
    Volgore said:

What game was that? I've played with people whose' kids played, like in WoW, but the chat wasn't always appropriate for them if people didn't know there was a kid present.
    That was in WoW at WotLK.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Nah, I'm not the "great leader" type.

On the rare occasion that I actually join a guild/clan, I'm a great follower though ! :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2016
    My first MMORPG was Lineage 1 and I created a clan (Band of Brothers) to support new player recruitment into a clan of higher level players. (the Federation) Several key issues.

1. I did such a good job when the time came to "graduate" no one wanted to. So I found myself leading a"real" clan.

2. This meant dealing with raising funds for a clan hall, which was not instanced, limited in supply and expensive even for a smaller one.

We did get one after many clan farming runs mostly lead by me but I had to deal with complaints about some folks not pulling their weight.

3. Drama, oh Lord the drama. Real life friend of mine was in the clan and a popular female (hopefully, you never knew before voice chat) member started to hit on him in-game. His wife (also in clan) found out and demanded I throw the offender out which didn't sit well with other members. Being a real life friend I sided with him and of course lost members who joined a new clan with her.

4) The clan "flag" revolt. Clan members were tagged with the clan flag which I created when I formed it.  I literally took some country's national flag (Belgium?) and switched some colors around because it wasn't a real guild then.  Fuzzy, almost microscopic in size, didn't think anyone would care if changed it. Wrong, had a mini riot over me changing it without asking for a clan vote. That is when the clan first found out they weren't in a democracy. Flag change stayed in place. ;)

5. Death threats - so we recruited a "creeper" someone who felt I "never" devoted my time to them as I did others. They were not wrong, I tried to be inclusive and nice but this person grew increasingly possessive and hostile. After verifying my concerns with clans officer corp I told this person they were being dismissed as being a poor fit.

Next thing I get is a tell saying I will regret this and they planned to come to my home town and hurt my teenage daughter who was in the clan. Being my first MMO I had freely shared too much personal info including my very unique first name which old friends had used to track me down previously. (I have of course stopped doing this)

Of course I reported and they were banned. Even though it was a sub game free trial let this person contact me every few weeks to apologise profusely and please let their new alt into the clan. Reported every contact and after a few months either they stopped trying or I left for DAOC.

So these and similar follies lead me to walk away from ever directly leading a guild again.

I've been a suppport officer multiple times, but that was fine cause when the problem grew too big I kicked it upstairs to the guys (or ladies) sitting in the big chair.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I was a raid leader during early progression in WotLK and later went on to found and raid lead a successful 10 man guild through the rest of the expansion. I eventually let someone else raid lead and I hardly had to manage the guild because we were so close knit that the guild managed itself.

Much less stressful and time consuming to be a guild master than it is to raid lead. I do miss progression raiding, but it's too difficult and time consuming to get 20 people together for it. I wish they had 10 man mythic raid content.

At this point, none of my friends play WoW, and I end up pugging a lot. The game just isn't as fun, but I've found it harder and harder as time has gone on to find a good group of people to play with.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016

3 Guilds.
    One in EQ2, One in WoW and one in Darkfall.
    But I am done with that.
    Being a Guild Leader is more stress than fun, though I had some good time, mostly I spent the day organizing stuff and breaking up verbal fights between Guild Members.
    No more.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Nah, I'm not the "great leader" type.

On the rare occasion that I actually join a guild/clan, I'm a great follower though ! :D
    Dear Leader = Kim Il Sung.  
    Great Leader = Kim Jong Il.  
    Great Follower = Kim Jong Un.

I knew there was something spotty about you!  You're a North Korean Dictator!

Although, I find what China calls him a bit more funny:  Fatty Kim.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I started the Paragon Power Association in City of Heroes.  That lasted about 4 months.  After that I realized I was far better as an officer in a guild rather than a guild leader, and I eventually reached a second tier officer rank in The Tempest Legion, which was exactly where I wanted to be; well, until there was no more City of Heroes.  However...

When I was playing Forsaken World, virtually the entire officer ranks of my guild quit, and I ended up being the defacto leader for about 6 weeks.  Six weeks of HELL in my opinion.  I don't want to run guilds, I want to be in them...  Once the leadership was handed to another person, I quit playing and joined my friends in ESO.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I have been leader of 2 guilds. But that time frame is about 8.5yrs across multiple mmos.

Paradox Guild Leader from 2007 until June 2016 (FFXI, FFXIV, AA(Short time alpha,beta guild decided to cancel the move with the bait and switch trion did): Became an officer in this guild in 2005 in the year it was founded, total intime play hours across all mmos were about 49,872 so this guild became my second family. Rose up the ranks and became leader when the old leader hadn to quit due to RL issues. Ran it until peoples RL and FFXIV caused it to slowly fracture apart, mainly FFXIV's anti-guild design.

Consortium (AA) for the last 4 months: Start with a few people from my guild In joined in archeage this year after  it fell apart in archeage. Became guild leader shortly after we formed it.

I have been an officer/leader in a guild for slightly over 1/3 of my life. I enjoy the aspects of planning, record keeping, website development, developing the community, and bringing the masses together to progress. Always been one to put the guild above everything, why I play these game. And honestly why I think I hate most modern mmos today.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Only 1 time back when I was playing Archlord.

Fun times.  =)
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Recore said:
    Only 1 time back when I was playing Archlord.

Fun times.  =)
    Lol I thought I was the only one to have played that game.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file