Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How top voted games on this site are decided

Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
It dawned on me earlier that DnL is the second top voted game on this site, even though reading many forum posts the general feeling towards this game seems scepitcal.
So can anyone just create multiple accounts and vote for it? Does it log your IP ?

Comments

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150

Well, Dark and Light has 3600 hype votes, in a 1-10 system.

#1 Chronicles of E-whatever (I forgot) has 500 votes, in a 1-10 system.

It apparently goes purely by the average result of a 1-10 system, regardless of number of votes. Flawed? Maybe.

But, it begs the question, how did Dark and Light get so many 9s and 10s voted for it when those screenshots are just god awful? Conspiracies abound!

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    You'll find it in the FAQ on the main page of the website. Multiple active accounts will cause all of those accounts to be banned.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527

Well, Dark and Light has 3600 hype votes, in a 1-10 system.

#1 Chronicles of E-whatever (I forgot) has 500 votes, in a 1-10 system.

It apparently goes purely by the average result of a 1-10 system, regardless of number of votes. Flawed? Maybe.

But, it begs the question, how did Dark and Light get so many 9s and 10s voted for it when those screenshots are just god awful? Conspiracies abound!

Well im not against DnL (actually hopeful for it) but even googling it and doing other searches doesnt really turn up much info. So yeah, it does seem odd that so many people gave it such high ratings.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited December 2016
    I think you are wasting your time caring for that list at all.
    There has been one or another incident about it in the past years and imo it should get removed already. I wonder if this gimmick actually works as it seems -if you get my drift.

Space is precious with the current site-design and yet it is wasted on this (along with some other exclusively industry-catering blocks on the mainpage).
    But i guess it will stay in place as long as it makes some people in the industry happy.

Grunty said:
    You'll find it in the FAQ on the main page of the website. Multiple active accounts will cause all of those accounts to be banned.
    So then it must track your IP ? I cant see how else the site mods could know.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2016
    $ $ $ $ $ $

That's how
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    It dawned on me earlier that DnL is the second top voted game on this site, even though reading many forum posts the general feeling towards this game seems scepitcal.
    So can anyone just create multiple accounts and vote for it? Does it log your IP ?

You have to remember that there are a lot of people who don't post on this site but they visit the site often.

I've gotten many messages from people who basically said that they normally never make posts.

My guess is that a lot of people have voted on that hype meter. I would say, as a general rule what is posted on a site is NOT the general feeling of the majority.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited December 2016
    Grunty said:
    Your IP address is public. The same way your home address is public.  Every time you access any site then that site sees your IP address.  Logged in or not. 

Ballot stuffing must be suspected by someone who frequents this site and reports it to the site.  MMORPG.com will then investigate and find out whether it actually happened.  If ballot stuffing has occurred then they take care of it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Everyone "knows" its cause purple and orange posters votes are weighted such that we basically decide the list. ;)

Keeping conspiracy theories alive since 2006.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Everyone "knows" its cause purple and orange posters votes are weighted such that we basically decide the list. ;)

Plus the other benefits of being purple.  We get a free bowl of soup!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

How exactly do you get purple? Is it by post count or points?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Points. The reactions give you points.  There are milestones that give you like 5 points extra for 500 agrees and such.  The colors are meaningless and don't give any benefits.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Money or duplicate votes.  Want proof?  Some unknown hunk of crap called Epocylipse the Afterfall has been in the top 5 voted in-development games for months.  There is one post with one reply in the game's forums here.
    edited December 2016
    Money or duplicate votes.  Want proof?  Some unknown hunk of crap called Epocylipse the Afterfall has been in the top 5 voted in-development games for months.  There is one post with one reply in the game's forums here.
    You're right, it does look fishy.  After looking at the comments and some of the member accounts, that's why I just reported it.  Something you can do too. 

If you give details about why you think it's wrong there is a greater chance of an investigation.  

In the past I have reported a few instances of hype listings that I felt were inconsistent.  Most of them were eventually removed.  Those were more blatantly cheating than this may be.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I think you need 1500 points for Purple.
    But it's just a color, it doesn't mean shit.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    ste2000 said:
    Exactly.

I was legendary aeons before i joined these forums.
    It was just the forum's software that couldn't keep up with that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    ste2000 said:zpoke
    Spoken like a true Blue.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Grunty said:
    All sites track your IP.  Shit son, if you're logging on without a VPN, then you're doing it wrong.  I prefer Private Internet Access myself.  It's cheap and they don't log anything.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    The voting is not what it used to be several years ago, when this site actually had active users and community !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    please don't remove the votes lists of the games... how would I decide what I like?

Sz  :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is merely there to fill a spot on a website,it means nothing and carries no weight towards anything meaningful.I guess some people just like to see a game in the list and say "oh that's my game i voted for ..YAY !".

When websites make a top 5 list or whatever top 10,it carries even less weight,less votes and usually with an agenda to vote in a well sponsored developer.

You know what would make it meaningful,if a real developer "an unbiased one" rated games based on a full knowledge of game design.However seeing what i see for game design in the mmorpg genre is just pathetic,every game looks like a clone of a clone,why would i trust a word of even those mindless creators.

So what we need is individual system people  to rate each area of a game design,from music creators to mappers,sound technicians,artists,modelers,combat systems,characterization systems,the list goes on and on,no one single VOTE carries any weight at all because a game is designed by MANY people with not one single goal other than to finish their development phase.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:zpoke

Spoken like a true Blue.

;)

httpwwwsharegifcomwp-contentuploads201404arrested-development-quotesbluetobias-funkegif

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Just don't take it too seriously.  Vote like this can be easily manipulated, since the number isn't large.  A group of people can affect the outcome.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited December 2016
    Developers paying for promotion; happens all the time and i believe protection money against those who criticize a game. I got banned a few times for speaking my mind on a few titles, and when it proved true with overwhelming outcries the moderators stop banning people.

MurderHerd