Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PANTHEON Twitch Stream Review : Impressed

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I really wasn't interested in this type of  game till I read this thread because I have avoided games with forced grouping. That's probably because my first mmorpg was WoW back in 2007 and I was used to that. I don't know anything about old school games and interdependence. Now I'm willing to give it a try, since this thread showed me how ignorant I am of the "old school" style. 

Still, I'm not going to jump on any founder bandwagons. If this game is as good as I want it to be, I should be able to wait till after it launches and then make a place for myself in the community. I need to read some reviews and write ups from people who actually play the game once it's live.

But now I'm definitely interested.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    d_20 said:
    I really wasn't interested in this type of  game till I read this thread because I have avoided games with forced grouping. That's probably because my first mmorpg was WoW back in 2007 and I was used to that. I don't know anything about old school games and interdependence. Now I'm willing to give it a try, since this thread showed me how ignorant I am of the "old school" style. 

That's a good attitude, judge it after you play it, or at least wait for some reviews.
    We are not trying to convince people to Pledge to Pantheon, just to be open minded about it.
    And if you have to be critical, criticize the game, not the people who are following the game.

I just wanted to clarify the "force group" issue.
    It is actually the wrong term, this kind of game encourage Group, which means that if you group you'll level faster than Solo, but not in a way like you feel like you have to group.
    In EQ generally the Necromancer were able to Solo fairly efficiently, still slower than being in a group though.
    But the good thing about a Necromancer is that he could Solo things that usually only a group could, AKA dungeons Bosses, it was kinda overpowered.
    That gave him the freedom to do basically what he wanted and level how he wished without depending from a group, being able to get the same items than a Group but at a slower pace.

The only thing that can be considered "forced group" in EQ was Raiding.
    But then again this is a MMO game, if you are really so allergic to people that you cannot play the end content with them, probably MMOs are the wrong genre for you.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    DMKano said:
    baphamet said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    I really wish they would allow casters / healers to be mobile, no matter the speed of mana regen.  That way dungeon crawling is an option just as viable as camping.  No sitting required, mana regens the same rate whether moving to the next level or area or just sitting around and chatting with the group.  Group mobility should not be encumbered by mana regeneration mechanics.  I truly believe groups will be more inclined to explore and graze content more widely if they are just as efficient regenerating mana standing up as they are sitting down.  Give people choices while still maintaining the combat pacing that old schoolers tend to prefer.

WHO enjoys sitting down for hours, looking at blue mana bar - watching red bars getting low - sitting up to make red bars full and then sitting down again for 99% of the time.

This is what makes having an enchanter in your group so valuable (you need their Clarity spell for quicker mana regen). You need to rely on other players to make your experience better to make your combined sets of abilities stronger. INTERDEPENDENCE 

Even with Clarity the regen was too slow - healers still sat on their butts majority of the time.
    Well of course they sit down, to get that extra regen bonus, every little bit counts... but at the cost of possibly drawing more aggro... It's all give and take... 
    I do agree that "sitting" really isn't compelling game play.

It's not rabbit jumping twitch arcade play, that's for sure :) 

it doesnt have to be 2 extremes either.

How about 30-45sec of regen from 0 to full  mana with clarity? 

Still plenty of time to talk and socilize.

Also reducing combat rounds from 6sec to 4. Speeding up trash mob kill time by 30%.

None of my suggestions would turn Pantheon into "rabbit jumping twitch play" but they certainly would be an improvment over winter mollasses pace of vanilla eq1.
    do you just solo in EQ1 or something? because i used to get in chain pulling groups where you are always fighting a mob and that is hopefully how this game will be.

i know it's a fantasy game but it makes it more realistic that you have to sit down and meditate to get your mana back after casting very powerful spells.

i think there are things they can do for certain classes that can keep them more busy. my shaman back in EQ1 was very busy all of the time but clerics were not.

they need to make it to where all classes have things to do no matter what their role is IMO.

Nope I raided from launch to PoP. Chain pulling in groups had breaks if fighting yellows or low reds due to clerics and casters being OOM. so the only time you could consistantly chain pull is if fighting blues.
    so you are telling me a full group could not chain pull yellows? i question your truthfulness after that statement. for example, in  OT chain pulling groups at the skyfire zone in was absolutely the standard and that's pulling reds, not just yellows.

a lot more examples than that as well but i feel me mentioning them is a little redundant. you as a caster needed to be efficient with your spells and you also had to have the right group make up. if you are pulling adds with no cc and off tanking? then yeah, it's going to be harder to chain pull

lots of variables went into it but to suggest constant chain pulling wasn't possible unless they were blue mobs? yeah, that is bull shit.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Actually have to back DMK on that one, chain pulling was really more for blue cons. Unless your groups was geared to the tits, chaining yellows and reds usually meant you rested or died. Also, pulling to a zone line usually means a fair amount of time in between pulls.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Aelious said:
    Heretique said:
    Looks good, but would love to see the animations/combat flow much better with more polish.
    Agreed and one thing I'd like to see is different casting animations for different races.
    Same here. Sucky part about MMO's is they usually cut corners around animations and (sometimes even sound fx), leaving it to the same character modelers and/or tech artists to do it. Hoping Pantheon doesnt do that and does something closer to FFXIV or even WoW for animations. Wildstar is too much but at least they obviously had a dedicated animator with a solid grasp of the principles, or at least it looks like the did. Vanguards animations were less than impressive IIRC, even for its time. As were LotRO's... part of the reason the last stream reminded me so much of that game.

Still, im sure most of those animations were the same placeholders theyve had for a while now. Still a loooong list of details to iron out.
  • AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294
    edited December 2016
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    I really wish they would allow casters / healers to be mobile, no matter the speed of mana regen.  That way dungeon crawling is an option just as viable as camping.  No sitting required, mana regens the same rate whether moving to the next level or area or just sitting around and chatting with the group.  Group mobility should not be encumbered by mana regeneration mechanics.  I truly believe groups will be more inclined to explore and graze content more widely if they are just as efficient regenerating mana standing up as they are sitting down.  Give people choices while still maintaining the combat pacing that old schoolers tend to prefer.

WHO enjoys sitting down for hours, looking at blue mana bar - watching red bars getting low - sitting up to make red bars full and then sitting down again for 99% of the time.

This is what makes having an enchanter in your group so valuable (you need their Clarity spell for quicker mana regen). You need to rely on other players to make your experience better to make your combined sets of abilities stronger. INTERDEPENDENCE 

Even with Clarity the regen was too slow - healers still sat on their butts majority of the time.
    Well of course they sit down, to get that extra regen bonus, every little bit counts... but at the cost of possibly drawing more aggro... It's all give and take... 
    This, plus enchanters being able to speed up regen and working on your meditation skill.  Also thinking about potions (consumables) to speed this up.  It needs to be there (regeneration, meditation) but it need not be tedious.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com

acidblood said:
    Dullahan said:
    acidblood said:
    If they fix* casters, especially healers, spending 90% of their time sitting down (even during a fight!!) then this might be good. I understand the reason for breaks, and I'm all for a slower pace, but this is just outright boring; may as well just be a bot / multi-box.

* Note: By fix I don't mean cranking passive regen up to 11 (mana management should still be a thing), but there could be more active ways of regaining mana in combat such as MP drain DoTs (do you mez or DoT everything up and try to heal through it?), a debuff that restores MP when a mob dies (healer is OOM, burn X down quick), etc.

The other thing I noticed is that the 'bosses' seemed to die just as quickly and easily as most of the trash mobs / packs... I know this is pre-pre-pre-alpha (or whatever) but bosses definitely need a buff and a few more special attacks to make them interesting.

Slower pace and not being spoon feed = old school.
    Whack a mole bosses and sitting down to regen mana during a fight = archaic.

There were two boss fights in the recent stream. Both took much longer to kill than a normal mob.

https://youtu.be/gK3HJTSZG6c?t=860

https://youtu.be/a_dAxTmBRyY?t=3930

The first was much different than normal fights. It had spell reflection and I think environmental area effects as well as adds. The second I haven't really analyzed, but it definitely had a lot more health.

The lich fight (or whatever it was) was good, and had a few mechanics, so true, points for that. The snake and golem bosses though; about two and half minutes of whack of mole... maybe I'm just spoiled by FFXIV, but even for a group boss (that you don't seriously over-gear) that's quick, and boring.
    The lich fight and even more interesting mechanics and necessary strategies will be the norm.  Tank and spank the exception to the rule (e.g. not the norm).

--

Brad McQuaid
    www.pantheonmmo.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kayo83 said:
    Aelious said:
    Heretique said:
    Looks good, but would love to see the animations/combat flow much better with more polish.
    Agreed and one thing I'd like to see is different casting animations for different races.
    Same here. Sucky part about MMO's is they usually cut corners around animations and (sometimes even sound fx), leaving it to the same character modelers and/or tech artists to do it. Hoping Pantheon doesnt do that and does something closer to FFXIV or even WoW for animations. Wildstar is too much but at least they obviously had a dedicated animator with a solid grasp of the principles, or at least it looks like the did. Vanguards animations were less than impressive IIRC, even for its time. As were LotRO's... part of the reason the last stream reminded me so much of that game.

Still, im sure most of those animations were the same placeholders theyve had for a while now. Still a loooong list of details to iron out.
    From what I understand "high quality" animations are very difficult to do.

This is why I think Pantheon is going to get in trouble. People are going to want the same quality as AAA games (as you mentioned, World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14) and they just don't have the people or the budget.

Players are going to have to temper their expectations.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Green Blue and Yellow Bar, can someone explain those please.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd prefer updated graphics but that's just me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Sovrath said:
    Kayo83 said:
    Aelious said:
    Heretique said:

From what I understand "high quality" animations are very difficult to do.

This is why I think Pantheon is going to get in trouble. People are going to want the same quality as AAA games (as you mentioned, World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14) and they just don't have the people or the budget.

Players are going to have to temper their expectations.
    Nah good animations just need a good animator afaik. According to the last stream theyre using Maya which is one of the best tools for the job. At most its just an extra salary lol. Albeit that might make all the difference for a start up company. Its basically the same thing they do now just better arcs, follow through, anticipation, key poses, etc... everything else should be the same (i think its called "baking"). Not sure about particle effects as I never did much with those but they are definitely still using basic/stock effects.

Motion Capture on the other hand is very expensive. Perhaps FFXIV did it but I doubt it. Warcraft sure as hell didnt, not for the in-game stuff.

Not that im ripping on the game or the devs. Still a long way to go.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Dullahan said:
    acidblood said:
    If they fix* casters, especially healers, spending 90% of their time sitting down (even during a fight!!) then this might be good. I understand the reason for breaks, and I'm all for a slower pace, but this is just outright boring; may as well just be a bot / multi-box.

* Note: By fix I don't mean cranking passive regen up to 11 (mana management should still be a thing), but there could be more active ways of regaining mana in combat such as MP drain DoTs (do you mez or DoT everything up and try to heal through it?), a debuff that restores MP when a mob dies (healer is OOM, burn X down quick), etc.

The other thing I noticed is that the 'bosses' seemed to die just as quickly and easily as most of the trash mobs / packs... I know this is pre-pre-pre-alpha (or whatever) but bosses definitely need a buff and a few more special attacks to make them interesting.

Slower pace and not being spoon feed = old school.
    Whack a mole bosses and sitting down to regen mana during a fight = archaic.

There were two boss fights in the recent stream. Both took much longer to kill than a normal mob.

https://youtu.be/gK3HJTSZG6c?t=860

https://youtu.be/a_dAxTmBRyY?t=3930

The first was much different than normal fights. It had spell reflection and I think environmental area effects as well as adds. The second I haven't really analyzed, but it definitely had a lot more health.

Cool videos. Thanks for sharing them.  I enjoyed what I saw.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Aradune said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:

This, plus enchanters being able to speed up regen and working on your meditation skill.  Also thinking about potions (consumables) to speed this up.  It needs to be there (regeneration, meditation) but it need not be tedious.
    Mana potions scare me a little bit, If they are put into game I hope they are like the SOW potions in Classic EQ where they could only be made by the Shaman (Mana pot made only by Enchanter). Still though I think having a mana potion would take a huge chunk out of the Enchanters utility... 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    DMKano said:

I bet you not even 10% of those player have it in them to last more than a month or 2 in classic EQ1 style game.

Why?

Time commitment is just far too high IMO.
    I love what Pantheon is doing, and the game looks great. But sometimes I fear that I am cheering on design mechanics that will make it impossible for me to ever get anywhere in the game - given the amount of time it will demand. Of course, that is no reason for anyone else's fun to be spoiled. I just hope that there are some fun things for those of us with much less time to invest. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Aradune said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:

How about some sort of skill they can use during battle that absorbs life force and turns it into mana?

There could be some sort of stipulations on it such as every time they get a critical a bar fills up and they can use their "special skill" to absorb.

Or maybe there is a group skill that once used allows the player to absorb mana?

There must be a way to do it that is more dynamic. I know in Lineage 2 my spellhowler could take from his own life force and give back in mana.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Hell yea... This looks great. I miss EQ and Vanguard. This seems kinda like a Hybrid of both with solid graphics.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    Gyva02 said:
    Aradune said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:

Mana potions scare me a little bit, If they are put into game I hope they are like the SOW potions in Classic EQ where they could only be made by the Shaman (Mana pot made only by Enchanter). Still though I think having a mana potion would take a huge chunk out of the Enchanters utility... 
    I'm more much concerned with consumables being too easy to acquire and able to be used too often.

I like consumables, both food, drink and potions, but they should be valuable and have significant cooldowns. It would be awful if people were eating and drinking potions after every battle to eliminate downtime.

Downtime must exist.

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I would love an answer about those bars because I'm curious what they are trying to do combat wise. This game so far looks like it attracts the EQ audience. I'm happy they are bringing back the good old stuff back into the picture.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
    Dullahan said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Aradune said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:

I'm more much concerned with consumables being too easy to acquire and able to be used too often.

I like consumables, both food, drink and potions, but they should be valuable and have significant cooldowns. It would be awful if people were eating and drinking potions after every battle to eliminate downtime.

Downtime must exist.
    I always have liked the 'you can only consume X potions in a short period of time' limitation.  And yes, downtime must exist -- we just have to fine tune it so that it's neither too long nor too short.

--

Brad McQuaid
    www.pantheonmmo.com

ApexTKM said:
    I would love an answer about those bars because I'm curious what they are trying to do combat wise. This game so far looks like it attracts the EQ audience. I'm happy they are bringing back the good old stuff back into the picture.
    Which bars?

--

Brad McQuaid
    www.pantheonmmo.com

• dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited December 2016
    Aradune said:

I always have liked the 'you can only consume X potions in a short period of time' limitation.  And yes, downtime must exist -- we just have to fine tune it so that it's neither too long nor too short.
    I can't remember what game it was I played that had a 2 minute cool down, respectively, for health and mana pots, but it felt balanced fairly well. You had access if things went south, but they were not always up.
    edited December 2016
    It mostly depends on how powerful potions and food are, but I'd say more like at least 10 minutes on potions that restore a significant amount of resources. It should really be something that's for those "oh shit" moments, not something that's affordable to use on cooldown. Food is probably going to provide a buff, so as long as it's limited to one food buff and one drink buff at a time, that should be fine.

EQ had the right idea on consumables. They were very expensive. Most things were anywhere from 10-50pp with things like gate potions that cost hundreds of platinum. Even for the people who played a lot, burning through those things wasn't feasible. The crafted variety weren't much cheaper and usually came out to like 10p a use. As someone who played on a PvP server and had at least 2-3 bags of pumice, potions and poisons on me at all times, I never had money for much else and I had to use them wisely.

Dullahan said:
    It mostly depends on how powerful potions and food are, but I'd say more like at least 10 minutes on potions that restore a significant amount of resources. It should really be something that's for those "oh shit" moments, not something that's affordable to use on cooldown. Food is probably going to provide a buff, so as long as it's limited to one food buff and one drink buff at a time, that should be fine.
    BDO does a great job with food.
    It provides only Buffs an you can only use 1 at a time.

I agree that potions need to have a significant cooldown and should be used strategically.

ste2000 said:
    Dullahan said:
    BDO does a great job with food.
    It provides only Buffs an you can only use 1 at a time.

I agree that potions need to have a significant cooldown and should be used strategically.
    Yeah, but a horrible job with potions though. Don't know if it's changed, but when I played BDO briefly I just created a macro that used consumables on cooldown while I was engaged in combat. It was awful.

Dullahan said:
    ste2000 said:

Yeah, but a horrible job with potions though. Don't know if it's changed, but when I played BDO briefly I just created a macro that used consumables on cooldown while I was engaged in combat. It was awful.
    That hasn't changed, that's why I mentioned only food :)