Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I no longer frequent mmorpg.com

13»

Comments

• the_Wockythe_Wocky Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2016
    One of my biggest issues with MMORPG.com is that it appears they support ANY game companies favourably that advertise / sponsor them with prizes/give-aways.

I am therefore suspect of any game company that has the "best MMORPG of 201x" sponsored by MMORPG.com award.

I mean, how much is your soul worth? a few hundred dollars?

★ Twitter @WockyCC ★ YouTube the Wocky ★ BLOG wockster.com ★
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Vardahoth said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I have yet to give two shits if I get likes or not. Guess I'm just strange.
    Only two?
    One shit is required to post a response
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Dear OP,

I'm blue DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI
    I'm blue if i were green i would die

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    edited December 2016

I stopped coming because the mmo gaming experiences no longer justified the time expenditure.  It used to be you got lost in the world and the social aspect of mmos.  I suppose it was always about money but it didn't feel like it.  You paid for the game and a monthly fee and when a new expansion came out once or twice a year you were so hyped and excited and jumped on it.  Now they seem to have it all down to a science, and again...maybe it was always that way.  But now it just seems more blatant engineered toward maximizing profit.  They call it free to play but they nickel and dime you for content and it's not like how it was for the expansions in the old days.

Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing mmos and I still keep in touch with mmo buddies from 12+ years ago.  I'd love to return to the genre and I feel like it will come back better and stronger from an escapist gamer point of view, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

And that's why I don't come here much anymore.  MMORPG.com was about talking about the games I loved.  Then it became talking about the games I missed.  Then I just stopped talking.  Today I just decided to check out what was happening here and got drawn in by the post title for a second. 

To all the oldsters who remember what it was like, I miss you guys!  To all the oldsters that evolved and still find enjoyment in a genre I used to love, I'm a little envious.  Later.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited December 2016
    I'm always suspect of people who make statements belittling others or making themselves seem superior by dismissing what others say as "banal" or "less than".

OP, there's a lot of that in your post. No one's perfect, everyone has their story, and not everyone is going to fit into neat little categories. Don't go judging people, there's already too much of that in the world.

If you don't like what someone says either argue their point or ignore it. Additionally the "lol's" I think are meant to be positive but some use it as a negative. One would have to look at the context.

Chasing "likes"? Maybe people do that but there is enough dissent on this forum that I highly doubt people are changing their stance on things so they can get "likes". Also, sometimes it's just easier to "like" a post than to make yet another post saying "this".

My opinion is that you need to reflect on yourself and think about how "you" integrate with strangers on the web, what you are really getting from it and whether or not you will get a better experience if you cease to think you are above others and realize that we are all down in the mud on the same level.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Almost no one on this forum ever agrees with Wizard and yet he's managed to gain a purple name.  I'd have to say that the conversations around here are much more stimulating than say reddit, where if you don't sheepishly follow the majority opinion on any topic then you'll get downvoted so much that your comment will drop to the bottom of the page and be hidden.

Personally, that's why I come here.  Because I can voice controversial opinions such as SWTOR is pure garbage and Age of Conan is an underrated masterpiece and my post won't magically disappear.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Vardahoth said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I have yet to give two shits if I get likes or not. Guess I'm just strange.
    Only two?
    Needs more fiber I'd say. ;)

@somersaultsam I said this in your other thread and I'll say it here:

Just as in real life color should not make a difference as far as what someone says.

Hell I honestly have no idea why I turned Blue last month. I was pleasantly surprised TBPO. I was not, nor ever, trying to please They Who Dip Thy Name In Color at all though. I do try to make funny and sometimes insightful posts though but not for a new shade, but to interact with others on this site. I really think you are reading too much into the new forums.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Talonsin said:
    Dear OP,

I'm blue DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI DA BA DE DA BA DI
    I'm blue if i were green i would die

Oh great!  Now I did it, I went from Blue to Purple!  Curse you colored name system!!!!!!

On the bright side, now I am two times better than the OP, LOL
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    edited December 2016
    I understand that websites such as mmorpg.com take a very meagre living off advertising, and that advertising requires traffic and regular updates attracting regular return visits. 

Therefore, I understand why "rewarding" people for regular content through new titles or colours corresponding to "levels" is sensible. Unfortunately it creates an unpleasant environment for discussion, here is why: -

• The ingratiates click "like" (or funny or whatever) on ever high level name they see, because they lack opinion or intellectual foritude. 
    • It stifles any debate because people are scared of downvotes in the form of LOLs or plain ignores.... in fact it shapes every debate because if you receive 3 "likes" (or whatever) out of the hundreds of people who read a post, it somehow verifies your opinion as correct... when in reality it does no such thing. 
    • It stifles any controversial opinions because people chase "likes".... yes you do, don't deny it. 
    • It allows the banal and uninteresting; the people with no real opinion; to rise to the top, because they offend no-one but please someone. 
    • It is a symptom of this hideous corporate led world we live in where everyone must be measured and assessed as a worthy customer, and discarded or accepted. 
    Honestly, when I log on here and see the most pointless, banal shit getting "likes" (or equivalent) and all interesting discussion banned... I just wonder what the hell the point is. 

Now please feel free to ignore this and like the first banal moron who states that it is good because it excludes antagonist individuals and makes it a friendlier place to be.... that sort of "head in sand" liberal PC excessive behaviour that results in a backlash that leads to President Trump. 
    If someone is on here for "likes" or any of that, they are a loser. I can deny I don't chase likes, look at my fucking history. I share my opinion when I want regardless of "lol" or "insightful". You don't want the opinion of someone who chases likes because its not a real one anyway. Also, no one gives a shit about your whiny post. The site is just really unorganized right now in terms of separating MMO games from the others. And if they tried, most of the people running the site don't know what MMO stands for (they want to think of it like its got some sort of deeper meaning when really, its three fucking words).

With that being said, when did they get rid of the flipping mods around here? You can create a thread on nearly any topic in the MMO only forum now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2016
    @somersaultsam - OK, you did start posting at a time which would be more in line with someone in the UK.  Now, you could still be Kopo who may have relocated from Canada, but for sake of argument you aren't Kopo.

Do understand however you are making almost the very same complaints, and with the coincidental timings of everything it did/does appear to be from persons who are more than just kindred spirits.

Regardless, you created a thread to complain about "posters" on this site chasing likes.  I'll be perhaps more honest them some, I do actually track my counts in various categories, and try to create posts that I think people will find insightful, agreeable, awesome or just get a good laugh from.

I try not to be a douche, doesn't always happen, some days I just wake up on the wrong side of the bed. (good thing there isn't a category for that, I'd be in the top 10 for sure)

I make no apologies for occasionally looking at the post results for myself (I've got 41 Badges BTW) and other posters, ( @DMKano ; just how does he do it? ) and heck, some weeks I even check out the "leader boards" to see if I'm in the top 10.  (yeah, I'm vain like that) :)

BTW, I don't think I got enough "likes" or "LOLs" (they all count) for my posts in this thread, loosen up a bit you slackers. (shameless pandering) ;)

Have a great weekend, we all find our "fun" here on the forums, if you wish to complain about what I do on them, feel free.

and it is definitely a good time for a...

/mic drop

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    To the OP,

If you're going to leave, leave. Don't talk.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    LHU 2017
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    One of my biggest issues with MMORPG.com is that it appears they support ANY game companies favourably that advertise / sponsor them with prizes/give-aways.

I am therefore suspect of any game company that has the "best MMORPG of 201x" sponsored by MMORPG.com award.

I mean, how much is your soul worth? a few hundred dollars?
    Do you really take that seriously though? I mean the games i watch are the ones that ive researched and come to my own opinion about. I would never get excited or buy into a game purely on this site or any other sites recomendations.
    And the same can be said with just about any other site or award body. Jesus.. the oscars.. i lost any respect i had for them years ago.  Obama won a nobel peace prize... wtf? There's always someone behind the scenes with an agenda ;)

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Kyleran said:
    I make no apologies for occasionally looking at the post results for myself (I've got 41 Badges BTW) and other posters, ( @DMKano ; just how does he do it? ) and heck, some weeks I even check out the "leader boards" to see if I'm in the top 10.  (yeah, I'm vain like that) :)

Huh? There's a top 10 list?

Had no idea lol

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I don't chase anything to be honest. I don't even run for the bus.
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Well played Sam. With threads like these you'll be purple in no time!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Posting to get a like, help me out fellas...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Hey Kopo. How's it going? You take posting on internet forums way too seriously. I feel bad for you. 
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    ste2000 said:
    zenomex said:
    ste2000 said:

And in that sympathetic post I said how he probably is "all the things you said in your post". So I guess the two of you are on the same page, right? Don't forget the context he is posting it in
    I actually don't get your comment.
    I wasn't contesting your post, why are you getting defensive?

I just pointed out how someone that complains about the "Like" system, then use it to Like someone as soon as they agree with him.
    I only checked his Like, because I was pretty sure it was his.....and sure as hell, he was.
    I am pointing out people hypocrisy........is that wrong?

It wasn't me that complained about the Like system, it was him.
    Least he could do is refrain himself from using it, since that invalidates his complain.
    No dude it isn't wrong and I liked reading your post :p I meant that I was contesting him in my post in the same way, how he shares similarities with the people he complains about. I already knew he would like a post that is sympathetic towards him but I think the underlying context is coming from him being 'contested' as a minority.

So I'm just here to make the other side of the fence shine as well!
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    zenomex said:
    ste2000 said:
    zenomex said:
    ste2000 said:

And in that sympathetic post I said how he probably is "all the things you said in your post". So I guess the two of you are on the same page, right? Don't forget the context he is posting it in
    I actually don't get your comment.
    I wasn't contesting your post, why are you getting defensive?

I just pointed out how someone that complains about the "Like" system, then use it to Like someone as soon as they agree with him.
    I only checked his Like, because I was pretty sure it was his.....and sure as hell, he was.
    I am pointing out people hypocrisy........is that wrong?

It wasn't me that complained about the Like system, it was him.
    Least he could do is refrain himself from using it, since that invalidates his complain.
    No dude it isn't wrong and I liked reading your post :p I meant that I was contesting him in my post in the same way, how he shares similarities with the people he complains about. I already knew he would like a post that is sympathetic towards him but I think the underlying context is coming from him being 'contested' as a minority.

So I'm just here to make the other side of the fence shine as well!
    Well played indeed, I really didn't see that coming from you.. 

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    the VAST majority of my posts were from before this like system was put in place.  I use to frequent here a lot more, and really I only come here for the forums because if something is going on in the industry or there's a new game its usually being talked about.  

I don't chase button clicks, and don't post nearly as often as I used to.  That being said everyone *agree* with this post because I need validation.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Grunty said:
    Tarblood said:
    Can I have your stuff?
    The only thing he's got here are two bans and an inflated ego.
    Boom head shot!
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
This discussion has been closed.