Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I no longer frequent mmorpg.com

somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
I understand that websites such as mmorpg.com take a very meagre living off advertising, and that advertising requires traffic and regular updates attracting regular return visits. 

Therefore, I understand why "rewarding" people for regular content through new titles or colours corresponding to "levels" is sensible. Unfortunately it creates an unpleasant environment for discussion, here is why: -

• The ingratiates click "like" (or funny or whatever) on ever high level name they see, because they lack opinion or intellectual foritude. 
  • It stifles any debate because people are scared of downvotes in the form of LOLs or plain ignores.... in fact it shapes every debate because if you receive 3 "likes" (or whatever) out of the hundreds of people who read a post, it somehow verifies your opinion as correct... when in reality it does no such thing. 
  • It stifles any controversial opinions because people chase "likes".... yes you do, don't deny it. 
  • It allows the banal and uninteresting; the people with no real opinion; to rise to the top, because they offend no-one but please someone. 
  • It is a symptom of this hideous corporate led world we live in where everyone must be measured and assessed as a worthy customer, and discarded or accepted. 
Honestly, when I log on here and see the most pointless, banal shit getting "likes" (or equivalent) and all interesting discussion banned... I just wonder what the hell the point is. 

Now please feel free to ignore this and like the first banal moron who states that it is good because it excludes antagonist individuals and makes it a friendlier place to be.... that sort of "head in sand" liberal PC excessive behaviour that results in a backlash that leads to President Trump. 

Comments

• TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Can I have your stuff?

RAWR

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Actually I chase LOLs.  I enjoy getting people to laugh.  Since my humor can be rather esoteric or relies on prior knowledge it means I have found someone who understands me. At least for a little while.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Tarblood said:
    Can I have your stuff?
    The only thing he's got here are two bans and an inflated ego.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    edited December 2016
    Ok man I'm kinda nutz so when I tell you yer crazy I mean it in a friendly way :D. People that play mmos an maybe read a discussion board don give a flying flip about : insightful, LOL, agree those are just there if you want to respond but don't want to actually write something down its not like you get a prize or something. An if some one is so meek and easily lead that they just click to give some one points to go with the crowd, or are scared to post for not getting a tag then we aren't missing out on reading that. What they need that they don't have is a tard button! People would get hits like mad an not feel left out that way
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Thanks for taking the time to let us know, how what other people may or may not "like", effects "you".
    This is a personal problem of your own, since you don't actually like it, and others may its just your own personal preference.

I fail to see how the rest of us needed to know that you were no longer visiting the site, just because you dont like a certain feature.

Personally myself i couldn't give 2 craps what people say they like or comment on, i'm a long time lurker, i rarely comment, and peoples own personal opinions mean even less to me.

I come here for the content, whats new, whats coming up.

Anything else on top of that means nothing to me.

What you get out of the page, is up to you, use the bits that interest you, take no notice of what doesn't.

Its not that bigger deal.

:)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Many of us just enjoy the conversation related to a genre of gaming we love. Nothing more.
    Nah, lets tell him... All of us above blue paid for Bills new car, it is a pure conspiracy. ;)

Honestly, who cares what color a poster have? A good post is a good post no matter who writes it. Sure, there are certain peoples post I usually read but that is generally people who have been here for long and who have interesting ideas.

People who troll or are plain rude to other people I generally ignore, I like MMOs and I like talking about them with more then a few people here.
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The sheep, neutral, white knights, the boring, and all else that stem from them. The truly interesting do not exist. I'll leave it at that. I hope you understand somersaultsam.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    In all honesty I think you are over-reacting.
    The problem in general with MMORPG.com was their strict policy and their overzealous Moderation, but since we had a similar discussion a month ago, moderation seems a lot more relaxed.
    As a result the site seems much more alive now, posts happen every minutes as opposed as 15-20 like it was before.
    Since I re-joined I got only a friendly warning, which I thought was unjustified, but as long as it is friendly, I am fine with it.

If you follow my post history, you can see I am very opinionated and take on everyone regardless of their status.
    I personally don't give a fuck about the colors of the Members, nor do I care how many Likes they receive (or I receive), the only thing I care is what they say.
    If I think their are talking BS I am gonna chase them.
    I recently had some run ins with a couple of Orange Members (Legendary), nothing personal, just I didn't agree with what they were saying, and though my style is very direct and rough, I didn't have problems with Moderators.
    So I don't understand where you get the impression that people are scared of facing the high ranked members.

Maybe you should join in in some discussions and contribute making this forum more alive instead of whining.
    With 174 posts you are hardly a contributor, maybe you should step up your game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Many of us just enjoy the conversation related to a genre of gaming we love. Nothing more.

As I tell my friends when we play board games or war games, I don't play to win, I play to annoy! 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited December 2016
    No the real reason you no longer frequent MMORPG.com, Kopogero, is because they keep banning your ass.
    Nice try, and I do know that name, but not me. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I am not sure if the color "rewards" for posters or agree/lols are a good or bad thing, but I do know that for me a poster's name "color" makes no difference to whether I agree/disagree with their post or give them a lol/agree or whatever.

The great thing about this site is that there are some very witty people posting here and there is a ton of information and reasonably interesting discussions about rpgs/mmos and related topics, with relatively loose moderation in most cases. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's meaningless fun for the most part.  Not everything has to be serious all the time.  I agree that there are people who I dislike and I'm aware that some dislike me.  It's the price for pretty lenient oversight.  The alternative is heavy handed oversight which would result in a mass exodus.

It's really a silly reason to leave.  I suspect that there is a deeper underlying cause.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    It's meaningless fun for the most part.  Not everything has to be serious all the time.  I agree that there are people who I dislike and I'm aware that some dislike me.  It's the price for pretty lenient oversight.  The alternative is heavy handed oversight which would result in a mass exodus.

It's really a silly reason to leave.  I suspect that there is a deeper underlying cause.

You get me wrong. I am currently partaking. I just have less interest than I did a year ago... kinda find this heirarchy of banality a real killjoy. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    mgilbrtsn said:

You get me wrong. I am currently partaking. I just have less interest than I did a year ago... kinda find this heirarchy of banality a real killjoy. 
    Things come and go.  I get involved on the forum, then it wanes for a few months, and the cycle continues.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    I check mmorpg.com looking for info and news  about the games im interesting. Also to read and maybe participate in some discuss.
    Sometimes is not easy to purge what threads are worth to read and participate.

Usually i come here daylie when some game im interested is about to be released and some time after release, then i move to the game official foruns.

Atm, im playing released games and not waiting for any so my time is spend on official foruns. The only game i love to try out is Civilization Online from XLGames, but sadly no news to come to Europe so no point follow it.
    Camelot Unchain and Crowfall is far from be released so i dont even care atm.

In short, i mostly come here looking for news, im not expecting news about anything atm so i stick with official game foruns.
    Gorwe said:
    I understand that websites such as mmorpg.com take a very meagre living off advertising, and that advertising requires traffic and regular updates attracting regular return visits. 

Therefore, I understand why "rewarding" people for regular content through new titles or colours corresponding to "levels" is sensible. Unfortunately it creates an unpleasant environment for discussion, here is why: -

• The ingratiates click "like" (or funny or whatever) on ever high level name they see, because they lack opinion or intellectual foritude. 
    • It stifles any debate because people are scared of downvotes in the form of LOLs or plain ignores.... in fact it shapes every debate because if you receive 3 "likes" (or whatever) out of the hundreds of people who read a post, it somehow verifies your opinion as correct... when in reality it does no such thing. 
    • It stifles any controversial opinions because people chase "likes".... yes you do, don't deny it. 
    • It allows the banal and uninteresting; the people with no real opinion; to rise to the top, because they offend no-one but please someone. 
    • It is a symptom of this hideous corporate led world we live in where everyone must be measured and assessed as a worthy customer, and discarded or accepted. 
    Honestly, when I log on here and see the most pointless, banal shit getting "likes" (or equivalent) and all interesting discussion banned... I just wonder what the hell the point is. 

Now please feel free to ignore this and like the first banal moron who states that it is good because it excludes antagonist individuals and makes it a friendlier place to be.... that sort of "head in sand" liberal PC excessive behaviour that results in a backlash that leads to President Trump. 
    Feel free to give my honest and sometimes odd, sometimes offensive comments lots of likes. This is the solution to your problem. :D
    happily
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    The sites rank and like system is just harmless fluff;  I honestly don't pay it much attention.  I've seen enough high rank members speaking a load of bollocks that their opinion would never influence my own. 

What's written is important; not the person behind it.
    edited December 2016
    Buccaneer said:
    The sites rank and like system is just harmless fluff;  I honestly don't pay it much attention.  I've seen enough high rank members speaking a load of bollocks that their opinion would never influence my own. 

What's written is important; not the person behind it.
    True, unfortunately false authority is one of the most oft (mis)used intellectual fallacies. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No the real reason you no longer frequent MMORPG.com, Kopogero, is because they keep banning your ass.
    Not him eh? Are you sure, because you post just like him

Stizzled said:
    Oh look, it's this thread again. 
    Hey, look at this, a very similar post from Kopo in early July 2016

mgilbrtsn said:

Hmm, so were here more a year ago? Interesting as your account was created July 22nd 2016.

Let's see, Kopo was perma banned sometime in mid July.

Coincidence? Almost uncanny I think.

BTW, the Pub is for discussions about MMORPGs, and not the behavior of other posters on the site. (or politics for that matter)

So what the hell, just for the LOLs, reported. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Not him eh? Are you sure, because you post just like him

Stizzled said:
    Oh look, it's this thread again. 
    Hey, look at this, a very similar post from Kopo in early July 2016

mgilbrtsn said:

Hmm, so were here more a year ago? Interesting as your account was created July 22nd 2016.

Let's see, Kopo was perma banned sometime in mid July.

Coincidence? Almost uncanny I think.

BTW, the Pub is for discussions about MMORPGs, and not the behavior of other posters on the site. (or politics for that matter)

So what the hell, just for the LOLs, reported. ;)

Who is Kopo? I guess I hit a nerve? I should add I have returned the favour and reported you for malicious allegations... but your name is purple so I'm sure you'll be ok 
    The thing is, this is the perfect microcosm... lot's of butthurt mmorpg.com members desperately trying to find ways to censor, the mildest of mild complaints... clap.... clap. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    You just can't teach an old dog new tricks and try as you might you cannot get over yourself.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    The thing is, this is the perfect microcosm... lot's of butthurt mmorpg.com members desperately trying to find ways to censor, the mildest of mild complaints... clap.... clap. 
    I don't think we are censoring anything.
    We are just giving our personal opinion on your complaint.
    I never thought people did give a crap about other member Avatar Color, who does that?
    If you complaint about some other reasons, I might give you some support, but this?
    C'mon......

kitarad said:
    You just can't teach an old dog new tricks and try as you might you cannot get over yourself.
    If you have nothing helpful to add, other than the baseless assumption first raised by Zebub (which no doubt will be disproved as a result of the baseless accusation by Kyleran) ... then please keep your thoughts to yourself. But here is a prime example of how having been around the site for a while gives you carte blanche to act in a manner that would get newer members banned.  Simply unacceptable. 
This discussion has been closed.