Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Knights of the Eternal Throne Review - Star Wars: The Old Republic General Articles

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageKnights of the Eternal Throne Review - Star Wars: The Old Republic General Articles

It wasn’t until the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion late last year that BioWare’s vision for the future of SWTOR crystalized. The studio strongly shifted focus back towards what set the game apart from its peers: the story. But Fallen Empire wasn’t without flaws. BioWare got caught up in the massive focus on story and seemed to forget the game was still an MMO. Thankfully, Knights of the Eternal Throne successfully strikes that balance and this bodes well for the game’s future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    The cxp grind wasn't too bad until bioware nerfed mob cxp.
    Fedaygin

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    edited December 2016
    The grind for Galactic Command is steep. From what I understand it's 90 levels per tier. So you need to get to 90 to get to the next tier and 180 to get to the last tier.

Along the way you are going to get lots of useless junk which you disintegrate to get a little bit of command xp towards the next level.

If you don't have crafters to take advantage of schematics that drop or enough money to buy things off the GTN, it's going to be a long harsh road. Especially with multiple alts.

The story is a mixed bag for me. You level fairly fast, which is a plus. However after the first time you do it, you will probably be spamming the space bar since none of your decisions seems to matter. It's also chock-full of plot holes and the story has gone into the absurd. (I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it for others.

The game itself is actually fairly good. There is lots of content to play. I still love PvP in the game even though it's all instanced because the servers can't handle open world PvP at any scale.

Uprisings aren't bad but can be frustrating since you don't always have a healer. Which means that you often have to kite and LoS when you can. Some fights are imo Impossible for fresh 70's without classes that have some healing(Lord Zanisk and Adacin).

Overall I'm enjoying the game though I hate the grinds they have added with Influence(4.0), which I consider a bit of a middle finger to veterans of the game and Galactic Command.

Edit:I'll also add that if you are into how your character looks, SWTOR is one of the best games I have seen for the options you have.  The amount of different clothing options and dye colors are quite extensive. Lots of them are in the cartel store though you can buy them on the GTN. Be prepared to pay a hefty amount of credits for some of the more desired ones though.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Noticed yesterday that netting a snowball parcel earns 20 cxp which is pretty worthwhile if you can stake out an ambush area in the fleet.
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited December 2016
    Should an MMORPG xpac without raids/dungeons get an 8.5?
    (role neutral crapticals don't count) After you run the story once what then? not to mention the joke aof a gearing system they implemented.
    Fedaygin
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Rich84 said:
    (role neutral crapticals don't count) After you run the story once what then? not to mention the joke aof a gearing system they implemented.
    It is curious to me the way that they remove features of their product and continue to charge the same amount of money for it. I know they spend tons of money making cutscenes, but the MMORPG elements are even more anemic than they were in the first year. The devs of this game managed to kill the fun for explorers, PvPers, crafters, raiders, space sim players, actual star wars fans, virtual performers, RPG stat engineers, RNG loot hounds, guild managers, Live-player group enthusiasts, anyone who can't stand Dulfy, KOTOR fans, D20 Fans, in game real estate moguls, character creator artists, and bio engineers.

I have to hand it to them for selling less of a game and getting more money. It wasn't the right thing to do, but it was profitable. 
    Fedaygin
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • flynn444flynn444 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    "That said, as it currently stands, once you’re done with your story chapters and played through the Uprisings, you’re basically back to retreading old content again."

And yet the expac merits an 8.5/10, in the reviewer's opinion?

huh
    Fedaygin
  • heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    i realy like this expensjon so far. yes the Cxp is abit strange but after some time it gets fun and adictive :p i think they could make it alot beter with some tweaking. and the uprising is fast phased and fun atlest on Veteran mode :)
    Fedaygin
    Gorwe said:

Rich84 said:

(role neutral crapticals don't count)
    After you run the story once what then? not to mention the joke aof a gearing system they implemented.

85 is a HIGH score. An expansion for an MMORPG of all genres that'll last 1-2 months...does it really deserve 85?
    I'd give the game 8.5 not sure  about the xpac.

I guess whether or not you like the story is personal preference but it's kind of short and replay value is low giving that your choices don't seem to matter all that much.
    Fedaygin
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Another bought and paid for mmorpg.com review for sure.
    Fedaygin
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited December 2016

I thought their review was fair. Its not wrong to enjoy the story, but its more of a personal opinion which seems you disagree with, but they were fair about it missing mmo parts, and the punishment for alts with galactic command.
    They should make the grind shorter per character, and have an auto balancing mechanism for every bracket of galactic command to allow players to play content they should have access to.
    If they make it access wide for alts, then if you complete the GC grind, what does that mean for a new character? Not that I disagree with giving someone immediate access if they already did it with their main or several alts, but I doubt that would fit in line with swtor or MMOs.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Once i take a break from "Warframe" i play this game again :D
    Fedaygin
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    *sigh* So this self-running cutscene/game without any challenges for their players still gets 8.5? I cant really grasp why so many people seem to be ok with the road this game has taken.
    Fedaygin

Hodor!

edited December 2016

gwei1984 said:

*sigh* So this self-running cutscene/game without any challenges for their players still gets 8.5? I cant really grasp why so many people seem to be ok with the road this game has taken.

hehe try out the story on Veteran mode ^^ and you will find it challanging. and next month we get mastermode story and soon uprising mastermode :) i agree if you do it on story mode its boring easy like the last expensjon but this time around its prety hard. ppl are crying for nerf on the forum alredy
    Fedaygin
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Haha.. so many buthurt haters replying in this thread. Bitching about the score and talking about a bought review.

Grow up and step inside the buffet room. We have an excellent gala of cheese to accompany your whine.
    Fedaygin
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    urbanos said:
    A good example of a fake review.
    Yup.  Anything that doesn't reaffirm your biased views must be "fake".  Clearly EA paid mmorpg.com to give the third expanion to Bioware's dying MMO a mildly positive review...  nailed it.  
    Fedaygin
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

What the heck has happened to players? The level of negativity is just astounding. I'm seriously thinking of writing a book; there's no end to content.

In any case, if this was a paid for review they clearly aren't getting their money's worth with comments like this:

"I say it’s not a perfect balance just yet because the Uprisings on offer aren’t really meaty enough on their own to keep people playing long term"

"as it currently stands, once you’re done with your story chapters and played through the Uprisings, you’re basically back to retreading old content again."

"There is one major aspect of Eternal Throne that undermines what is otherwise an excellent expansion and that is the new Galactic Command feature ... there are many issues with the system as it stands ... The two major pain points are that it’s incredibly grindy, and that it severely punishes players for playing alts."
    Fedaygin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Gorwe said:

Archlyte said:

Rich84 said:

(role neutral crapticals don't count)
    After you run the story once what then? not to mention the joke aof a gearing system they implemented.

It is curious to me the way that they remove features of their product and continue to charge the same amount of money for it. I know they spend tons of money making cutscenes, but the MMORPG elements are even more anemic than they were in the first year. The devs of this game managed to kill the fun for explorers, PvPers, crafters, raiders, space sim players, actual star wars fans, virtual performers, RPG stat engineers, RNG loot hounds, guild managers, Live-player group enthusiasts, anyone who can't stand Dulfy, KOTOR fans, D20 Fans, in game real estate moguls, character creator artists, and bio engineers.

I have to hand it to them for selling less of a game and getting more money. It wasn't the right thing to do, but it was profitable. 

...anyone that dislikes Dulfy? Excuse me? You mean "playing by the book", don't you?
    That was just meant to be a joke. A friend of mine would reference her incessantly when we played SWTOR and I got sick of it. Are you referring to people who look up the guides?
    Fedaygin
    gwei1984 said:
    gwei1984 said:
    I really think this is just an example of MMORPG homeostasis. It's harder to leave than to stay and just accept what comes down the pipe. If devoted players leave there will be cutscene withdrawal, vertigo (the negative response when faced with more choices than a player is accustomed to having), there is no other Star Wars game to play that isn't an old emulator, and they will have to adjust to more complicated character stat systems.

It's the only thing that explains t me why they play the game as it gets more and more linear and simple over time. EA is picking the pocket of the players by distracting them with a Darth Vader mask. 
    Fedaygin
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I find myself going back to this game from time to time ONLY because of 1. New Story and/or 2. There are no other Star Wars MMO's.  Admittedly I am a Star Wars nut (I have my tickets for Rouge One and will be seeing it tomorrow at 4:30pm EST).  My GPS in my car has Yoda's voice to give me directions (Bear left, but not to the Dark Side) (TomTom brand in case you're wondering).  I also have a mini R2-D2 in my cup holder as my co-pilot in my car.  I like to log into SWToR from time to time to get my lightsabre fix.
    Fedaygin
  • CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Sovrath said:

What the heck has happened to players? The level of negativity is just astounding. I'm seriously thinking of writing a book; there's no end to content.
    Considering the wrap up of the current plot it's pretty much "The End".  Anything else is just going to get into silliness territory.  Somebody actually suggested a Yuhzhan Vong plot as a potential follow on *shudders*

I get that many people like KotET's story.  IMO it was mediocre.  I'd rate it 6.5 to 7.0.  But for an MMO to hold my long term interest it's got to have engaging group content.  Right now SW:TOR is in F- territory.

What happened to the players?  They've been desperately waiting for MMO content.  Instead they get a Korean style grind and sod all for groups.  Uprisings simply don't have enough depth to hold folks' attention.

Cogohi said:

Sovrath said:

Considering the wrap up of the current plot it's pretty much "The End".  Anything else is just going to get into silliness territory.  Somebody actually suggested a Yuhzhan Vong plot as a potential follow on *shudders*

I get that many people like KotET's story.  IMO it was mediocre.  I'd rate it 6.5 to 7.0.  But for an MMO to hold my long term interest it's got to have engaging group content.  Right now SW:TOR is in F- territory.

What happened to the players?  They've been desperately waiting for MMO content.  Instead they get a Korean style grind and sod all for groups.  Uprisings simply don't have enough depth to hold folks' attention.

SWTOR is one of the better MMO's market.

As far as group content, no company is going to satisfy hardcore players who devour content like locusts and always ask for more.
    Fedaygin
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Shodanas said:
    Haha.. so many buthurt haters replying in this thread. Bitching about the score and talking about a bought review.

Grow up and step inside the buffet room. We have an excellent gala of cheese to accompany your whine.
    Do you have any crackers?  I like crackers with my wine and cheese.
    <3
    Fedaygin
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Atlan99 said:

Cogohi said:

Sovrath said:

SWTOR is one of the better MMO's market.

As far as group content, no company is going to satisfy hardcore players who devour content like locusts and always ask for more.

I agree that no mmo can make content fast enough but swtor has not released new mmo content in 2+years, all they have done is rescale old content and expect players to play 5yrs old content.
    Fedaygin
    we did get 5 uprisings :P and world bosses and next month we are geting 5 more uprisings. its like flashpoints&dungoens but a litle faster

Gorwe said:

It's not really a paid article. It's just that numerical valuation system is flawed and sensationalistic. Really, what does 85% or 8,5 / 10 even mean?

True it seems like the scale when rating games starts at about 5 or 6/10.