Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice Chat Confirmed In Game :)

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
I forget exactly where in the stream but they confirmed voice chat was going to be built into the game. This is awesome as I played a lot of EQ2 and they had an in game voice built in. It was so nice to just form a group and be instantly talking.

I've played many games where you had to use a 3rd party voice chat program and you had to install the program if you didn't have it , you had to get the room/channel address, possibly a password too. You'd always get people that didn't know how to download or use the program, then you'd be teaching people how to use it instead of playing the game and this seemed to happened a lot. 

In EQ2 you just formed a group and bam! You were talking instantly and it was easy to toggle back and forth from group chat to guild chat. Groups were communicating instantly and mobs were going down quicker. 

Very happy to hear the team say in game voice is in :)

What do you guys think about the in game voice feature?  
Post edited by Gyva02 on

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Welcome to the new Old School generation.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Gyva02 said:

I like that they have it but will rarely use it. Voice chat makes me want to quit games.

I'll just form my own guild made up of other people who hate it as much as I.

Though things like raids will obviously need it (I think).
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited December 2016
    Gyva02 said:
    I forget exactly where in the stream but they confirmed voice chat was going to be built into the game. This is awesome as I played a lot of EQ2 and they had an in game voice built in. It was so nice to just form a group and be instantly talking.

I've played many games where you had to use a 3rd party voice chat program and you had to install the program if you didn't have it , you had to get the room/channel address, possibly a password too. You'd always get people that didn't know how to download or use the program, then you'd be teaching people how to use it instead of playing the game and this seemed to happened a lot. 

In EQ2 you just formed a group and bam! You were talking instantly and it was easy to toggle back and forth from group chat to guild chat. Groups were communicating instantly and mobs were going down quicker. 

Very happy to hear the team say in game voice is in :)

I thinks a nice box to have checked for the game, but I will only use it sparingly. If I'm with a pick up group and I just wanted to kick back and relax, I don't usually want to talk in a voice chat. The bulk of the time I will prefer text chat. That's not to say I won't use it, but I just don't think it will be the majority of the time. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Glad to see this mmo putting in modern QoL features.  That will be important.  
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    This community has a strange aversion to VoIP in games.  It's often cited as being immersion breaking.  While that may be, what is needed are a good set of VoIP content tools for each individual provided by the game.  Things like a speaker's ID (who is speaking), squelch and volume controls for each speaker.  It always bothers me when 1 speaker is too loud and another too quiet.  I would love to adjust the volume for each independently.  Transcriptions and a Report by Speaker feature would also be useful.  Let's see this integrated to your /friends list, too.

I'm happy to see Pantheon incorporate this feature.  Now, let's see them push the boundaries of this technology, not just a bare-bones functionality.  I hope they have specific 'VoIP-enabled zones' i.e., the Lonely Wolf Tavern or the Stadium of Broken Dreams, for a shared VoIP experience.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Mendel said:
    This community has a strange aversion to VoIP in games.  It's often cited as being immersion breaking.  While that may be, what is needed are a good set of VoIP content tools for each individual provided by the game.  Things like a speaker's ID (who is speaking), squelch and volume controls for each speaker.  It always bothers me when 1 speaker is too loud and another too quiet.  I would love to adjust the volume for each independently.  Transcriptions and a Report by Speaker feature would also be useful.  Let's see this integrated to your /friends list, too.

I'm happy to see Pantheon incorporate this feature.  Now, let's see them push the boundaries of this technology, not just a bare-bones functionality.  I hope they have specific 'VoIP-enabled zones' i.e., the Lonely Wolf Tavern or the Stadium of Broken Dreams, for a shared VoIP experience.
    And lore friendly voice modulations for roleplayers!

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I'll use voice chat in this game the same way I use it in other games that have it. Not at all. If I want to talk to someone I give them my teamspeak info, last thing i need is to hear some obese mouth breather huffing into the mic all night.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'll use voice chat in this game the same way I use it in other games that have it. Not at all. If I want to talk to someone I give them my teamspeak info, last thing i need is to hear some obese mouth breather huffing into the mic all night.
    What about mouth breathers modulated to sound like sensual Elven ladies?

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Dullahan said:
    What about mouth breathers modulated to sound like sensual Elven ladies?
    As tempting as that sounds.... I'll have to pass

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Their time is much better spent adding Bard or Dark Elf for launch. The modulation will be a gimmick in < month and very few ever use in game voice chat over mumble/skype.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I find voice chat horribly immersion breaking.  If they can somehow make it so a dark elf female, or a human male barbarian doesn't sound like a guy with a cracking voice, and when little kids scream in the background it doesn't kill your ears, maybe.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Eh... havent play a single game with integrated voice chat that worked very well or even a guild that used it. All of them have gone with any of the other popular ones available. Could change this time I guess but IMO they shouldnt even bother with it.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sounds like a welcome feature to me. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kayo83 said:
    Eh... havent play a single game with integrated voice chat that worked very well or even a guild that used it. All of them have gone with any of the other popular ones available. Could change this time I guess but IMO they shouldnt even bother with it.
    I think there was an "ok" one in Lord of the Rings online if memory serves.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Yes, I used it for many years and I felt it was great, especially for being integrated in the game and being out in 2007.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Used it in EQ2 all the time...I would say every game should have this, but typically it works better with games that have better comunnities i.e., not little 16 year old shit brats (they'll probably stay away from this game).  Beats having to use your own private vent server, and also trying to type some long winded thing out while you are being beat on by mobs
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    agree with epoq
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Kayo83 said:
    Me either and to be honest it is a major detriment for me...I have zero interest in listening to other players (and their spouses and babies, etc)
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Kayo83 said:
    Me either and to be honest it is a major detriment for me...I have zero interest in listening to other players (and their spouses and babies, etc)
    The one in EQ2 had to be opened, so if you don't want to hear people I'm sure this one will have an on/off feature as well. In EQ2 you could also adjust everyone's volume individually so it would be possible to turn the annoying potato mics way way down if you were not needing to hear what they were saying... 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Sovrath said:
    Gyva02 said:

I like that they have it but will rarely use it. Voice chat makes me want to quit games.

I'll just form my own guild made up of other people who hate it as much as I.

Though things like raids will obviously need it (I think).
    i will join your guild lol i hate voice chat so much it breaks all immersion for me and gets highly annoying. oh and the best raiding guild i was ever in was a Chinese guild and they did everything in chat, i could barely understand the raid leaders but the players were good and very disciplined.

it absolutely can be done in most mmo's, in my experience.