Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm playing Archeage.. despite all the hate.

Comments

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Eldurian said:
    Well that's not entirely true. They're called titans and alpha strike tempests. But yes the disparity is higher because you can't get blown up and lose all your crap in ArcheAge like you can in EVE.

ArcheAge is a textbook example of why full loot PvP is a good thing. If it was built around a gear-loss on death model the disparity would mostly disappear overnight. 

But my point is that it's not the payment or monetization model causing these problems. When you consider you can convert APEX bought with gold into credits that you can buy anything with, EVE and ArcheAge essentially have the same monetization model.

It's the advancement model that is the problem. The idea that someone in full tier 4 obsidian can effortlessly slaughter someone in full tier 1 obsidian. In turn either of them could be effortlessly be slaughtered by someone in full celestial grade of the same tier. Who could easily be slaughtered by someone in full Ayanad. Who could easily be slaughtered by someone in full high grade Ayanad.

This is not a problem unique to ArcheAge though. Most games are based on massive disparity. ArcheAge actually has very low disparity levels when compared to most other themeparks. It's just fairly high disparity levels compared to most other games that claim to be a sandbox. And most sandbox MMOs have pretty high disparity levels when compared with non-MMO PvP/Sandbox games.

The other funny thing is that while all the hate is directed at Trion. That's the advancement model ArcheAge has everywhere. Not just the NA localized version.

Ultimately I blame every player who's ever said "They deserve to have an advantage because they've been playing longer" for the state ArcheAge is currently in. 
    playing longer shouldn't be equal to playing well.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2016
    I agree. But find me an MMO where that isn't the case. I've been looking for over a decade. I mean come on, click the link in my signature and you'll see where I stand on this issue.
  • lucyfluffylucyfluffy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Archeage 3.0  revamping today with fresh start server.  If you still  complain about cash shop  and bots you have to watch this interview.  

D https://www.twitch.tv/docgotgame/v/106374206

So those Fresh Start servers are really working great.. I'm 3 days late, and I'm still 800+ in queue just to create a character... is this some kind of a joke?

Currently playing:

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    raystantz said:
    So those Fresh Start servers are really working great.. I'm 3 days late, and I'm still 800+ in queue just to create a character... is this some kind of a joke?
    No joke, just a typical Archeage launch/relaunch.
    How is it a fresh start when we're not all starting at the same time? Like I said, I haven't even been able to touch the game until today, only to find this.. wow... people are losing it on the official forums and AA facebook too. Great Scott!

Currently playing:

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    We warned you.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    We warned you.
    Yup, typical AA nonsense. Most of the good lands are gone, meanwhile large amounts of people haven't even been able to get into the game yet. Some people on the new EU server were in queue for 8+ hours today, then when they got down to <100th place in line, the server crashed lol.
    It's been close to an hour, I'm still 415 in queue.. yeah.. I think I'm done. Good thing my WoW sub is still active.

Currently playing:

BAHAHAHAHAAAA... The God's have disconnected me.. eff this.

Currently playing:

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    why ppl fail for that AGAIN is beyond me :/
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Any game with a land rush and queues is a recipe for extreme frustration. Why even bother.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    sad part is this is smooth compared to their other launches.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Play on a fresh start server they said, it'll be great they said...

They went from a P2W cash shop to a P2W login screen. You literally can't even play if you don't have Patron right now, or even create a character.. and there are people with Patron who can't play. at 10 AM this morning the queue for both servers was 2500+ people. Maybe playing on a Legacy server wasn't such a horrible idea after all.

Currently playing:

raystantz said:

They went from a P2W cash shop to a P2W login screen. You literally can't even play if you don't have Patron right now, or even create a character.. and there are people with Patron who can't play. at 10 AM this morning the queue for both servers was 2500+ people. Maybe playing on a Legacy server wasn't such a horrible idea after all.
    Sadly, the legacy server option was still the worse of the 2 options.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    raystantz said:

The legacy servers are ghost towns, or will be shortly and those will be merged here in the future.  This seems to be the current business model for the game:

1. launch new servers with some kind of ruleset change to attract some of the players that left and get a bit more money out of them
    2. Reintroduce those rules or create new stuff in the cash shop that makes them even more mad then they were when they left the first time.
    3. Merge servers due to low populations
    4. Repeat
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    Talonsin said:

The legacy servers are ghost towns, or will be shortly and those will be merged here in the future.  This seems to be the current business model for the game:

1. launch new servers with some kind of ruleset change to attract some of the players that left and get a bit more money out of them
    2. Reintroduce those rules or create new stuff in the cash shop that makes them even more mad then they were when they left the first time.
    4. Repeat
    That's so predictable that I am willing to bet my monthly wages that's exactly what is going to happen.
    That's why I don't play Trion games anymore, they just like to take the piss out of their players.
    Sadly for them, the majority has a brain and don't fall for their BS.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    ste2000 said:
    Talonsin said:

4. Repeat
    That's so predictable that I am willing to bet my monthly wages that's exactly what is going to happen.
    That's why I don't play Trion games anymore, they just like to take the piss out of their players.
    Sadly for them, the majority has a brain and don't fall for their BS.
    They've actually said they don't plan on doing merges again for a long time at best - because it's too hard for AA. But they may and likely will offer some sort of transfers. Ollo, where I restarted for 3.0 is pretty low pop, but I kind of like it that way.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Talonsin said:
    raystantz said:

4. Repeat

""

We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Warlyx said:
    why ppl fail for that AGAIN is beyond me :/
    And yet the new Gospel is that Revelation online will be new wow killer and savior for the genre. 
    edited December 2016
    They've actually said they don't plan on doing merges again for a long time at best - because it's too hard for AA. But they may and likely will offer some sort of transfers. Ollo, where I restarted for 3.0 is pretty low pop, but I kind of like it that way.

Bill, they said so many things in those years for then doing the exact opposite.
    But I was referring more to point 1 and 2.
    They make fresh servers, they change the rules to attract people, then after a while they will reinstate the old rules ( and cash shop).
    It's a cheap way to squeeze money with deceit, and it is typical Trion.
    The old days of Rift, when Trion was the best and most honest developer are really and truly gone, unfortunately I must say, since I really loved Trion, and could no praise them highly enough in every thread I posted in.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I'd recommedn you to sub that way you can buy a piece of land and own a house and a garden. I remember I had a lot of fun.

LOL, one of the servers is under maintenance yet again and the other still has a 2000+ queue that hasn't budged all day. P2login.

One thing to note is that Trion is merely the US publisher for Archeage and NOT the developer. They only have so much say in what happens and really are just facilitators for the US market. They've said before, that anything they do has to go through XL games first, so I don't think Trion should be solely getting all the blame for everything, even though they always do.

Currently playing:

edited December 2016
    alakram said:
    I'd recommedn you to sub that way you can buy a piece of land and own a house and a garden. I remember I had a lot of fun.

I had 150 Trees planted (6 Farms) and got 1 Thunderstruck Tree in a month
    Meanwhile people were buying Thunderstruck Trees in the Cash Shop (through boxes) and flooding the market with it, making my only one Tree Worthless.

When you have items in the Cash Shop that fucks the economy, it's not fun at all.
    d_20PhryNethKhadar

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Eldurian said:
    I've explained this in other topics but people say you can dump hundreds/thousands to be the best. That's not how it works out in reality though. An active player doing good content makes the equivalent of hundreds of dollars per month. Coming in late to the game would require you to spend thousands to catch up to a player who's never spent anything beyond their patron fees and been an active player.

Theoretically it's possible but... that's not really how it plays out.

The true upper class of ArcheAge at this point fall into one of three categories generally:

1. People in one of the top guilds that have own castles and win world events.
    2. People who are really good at playing the auction house.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for with APEX they bought with gold to run one man hauler trains.

The funny part is if you compare this to EVE, a game nobody accuses of being pay to win:

1. People in one of the top alliances that own sovereignty and can do the best content.
    2. People who are really good at playing the market.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for in PLEX they bought with ISK to run one man mining fleets.

In both those games you can buy APEX and PLEX with real world money then sell it for in-game currency to get ahead. And in both those games the reality is that it's very rare to see someone who has gotten to the top just on APEX and PLEX.

Also, owning a bunch of land as one player with one account is something you don't really see because the tax rate increases massively for each piece of land on your account. People who fall into category 3 are the land barons that own a bazillion properties. And it's hard to nerf that because there is no way to tell the difference between a legit main account and someone's alt account.
    That is about the worst comparison I have ever read on any forum.  You cannot buy your way in Eve in any aspect.  Even the thought is absurd.  You have been drinking too much koolaid.

Getting back to ArchAge, if you are having fun playing it, have at it, but don't try and tell us what a great game it is.  It is flawed in so many ways, it just is not worth the time to list them.  I spent a lot of time in this game despite it's flaws, but in the end just had to give up on it.  This new expansion really changes nothing, they did not address any of the major flaws.  

All the server issues are just hilarious to read about too.