Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

California man spent $1 million playing Mobile Game 'Game of War'

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

IDIOT
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Scorchien said:

IDIOT
    QFT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I really do not care what people do with their OWN money... But this... Is bad.. Not really uncommon (stealing to feed a destructive habit) but still bad. 

This have been a good conversation

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    Its online p2w game.  You cannot really win because there's millions of players.

Oh they had a superbowl commercial with Kate Upton.   That explains it.  I confess that I watched the commercial more then once.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited December 2016
    I don't know which is worse that he embezzled or that he used a million on a mobile game.  I think mobile game was worse. I guess if you are going to use that much money on a mobile game it would be better to use "someone else's money" and preferably not get caught.

You have to admit these commercials are top notch.

Don't fall for its an evil trick very bad p2w game.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    filmoret said:
    Its online p2w game.  You cannot really win because there's millions of players.

Oh they had a superbowl commercial with Kate Upton.   That explains it.  I confess that I watched the commercial more then once.
    Haha, if it takes 1mil to win, i can live with it.  However, it doesn't look like he won in the end.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    filmoret said:

Haha, if it takes 1mil to win, i can live with it.  However, it doesn't look like he won in the end.
    From what I was reading the troops cost real money and they die permastyle.  So its impossible to win because there's a few million players and they are all capable of killing your troops and costing real money.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited December 2016
    Now he's facing 20 years in prison, in part for his actions surrounding a video game...

Edit: it looks like as part of his plea deal he'll be looking at 'minimum time' plus 4.5 million restitution. Ouch. 

Moral of the story is don't embezzle.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    filmoret said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    filmoret said:

From what I was reading the troops cost real money and they die permastyle.  So its impossible to win because there's a few million players and they are all capable of killing your troops and costing real money.
    Wow, thats kinda brutal (pocketbook wise) .  haha, wonder what the perma death fans think about it.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Painful
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is why subs are bad...oh wait, never mind.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

That first commercial the minotaur looks sweet and the dragon looks real too.

Sadly my two uncles play this style of game and I cannot get them to stop.  No matter what alternative I give them they always run back to a p2w game and spend about 500$ a week on the garbage.
  • Towers229Towers229 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @fodell54 butt puckering. So much money wasted. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Towers229 said:
    @fodell54 butt puckering. So much money wasted. 
    If you ever fall into any sort of legal trouble, you may have a more compassionate perspective (not condoning what he did, by the way).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Yeah mobile games are horrible for the cash shop stuff.  Buy more energy to play more, spend money to unlock levels, spend money to speed up your building or refresh things etc etc....

I used to play golf star and to get the best clubs with enchants it was literally a few thousand dollars.  That is not counting the massive amounts of clothing, boosters, or VIP.  You could easily dump 5 grand into the game and still be stat chasing. 

I recently started playing star wars Galaxy of Heroes.  It is the same thing.  There are 100 characters total currently.  I have 21 unlocked while being close to unlocking a couple more.  Now after you unlock the characters you have to train them (level them up), gear them up (which is already getting difficult), and also get "shards" which you use to promote characters.  For example I think my chewbacca started at 4 stars.  To get him to 5 stats I need 65 shards.  I get 105 energy currently and each battle where I can earn shards cost 12 energy.  You are not even guaranteed a shard from the battle and you can only do the same battle 3x a day (without refresh).  I also have 105 cantina energy which is a seperate thing.  Each battle there is 8-10 energy but you have unlimited battles as long as you have energy.  I have probably simmed 15 cantina battles and 9 regular battles and have received less than 5 shards for Chewie the last couple days.  Also the max level is 7 stars so I cant even imagine the shard amount needed to get that high.  That is just for one character and not counting gear farming and what not.  Of course you can buy character packs where you are guaranteed a 4 star character for $20.  If you already have the character you just acquire more stars.  I cant imagine the amount of money people would have to dump into the game just to get 1 team (5 toons) to max stars with gear.
  • CodeBluCodeBlu Member UncommonPosts: 30
    That's a lot of money for just a game. There are a lot of people dying of starvation and he just spend 1M$ for a game but that's not all, the money he spend is not his own. SHAME ON YOU mister. If he donated that money to charity we will earn the title of modern robin hood. But hey, stealing is stealing. It's still not right to steal from someone and spend someone else's money.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    He could have hired someone to build him his own game from scratch.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I think this guy is awesome.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I wonder if Game of War just kept on taking the money. You'd hope some red flags would pop and someone would ask some questions.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    tawess said:
    I really do not care what people do with their OWN money... But this... Is bad.. Not really uncommon (stealing to feed a destructive habit) but still bad. 
    Yep, if you are a Millionaire, no problem.
    But if you are an average Joe and steal £ 1 Million to play a game, it's just pathetic.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    laserit said:
    I wonder if Game of War just kept on taking the money. You'd hope some red flags would pop and someone would ask some questions.
    I bet they just laughed on the way to the Scrooge McDuck money bin.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    laserit said:
    Nah,  since I've been playing a mobile game that is similar in payment structure, they really don't care and don't notice too much seeing as how I have people in one of my groups that have months where they drop THOUSANDS, even after playing for a couple years.  

It makes sense though,  the nature of these mobile games is very similar to gambling, and since they're so much more casual than MMOs where in many cases you can just keep doing one thing or another to earn those random drops,  money is the real limit.   

For my game, I would have to spend about 100 dollars a pop for an elite drop token?  There are other ways to earn it, but if I wanted one without working too hard, just drop 100 dollars - and theres still a .01% chance that I'll get what I want - so if you're that kind of guy that wants to keep spinning the wheel until you get that "jackpot" drop or character or whatever,  you'll put money into it.

And unforutnately, thats exactly whats happening.  It's not really that odd when you consider people steal money to gamble, so obviously they'd do similar with games that are almost gamble simulators. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Legislation on these types of games incoming in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...
    Can't come soon enough.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont know what is the most moronic move on his part, stealing 5 million or spending 1 million on a mobile game... 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD