Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronciles of Elyria - Not Pay to Win

simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53
edited December 2016 in Chronicles of Elyria
It's the subject of much discussion, because quite frankly the game looks awesome. We're talking dynamic worlds with vast scales of AI animals and more, with finite resources, aging, player building, combat, kingdoms, flexible contract systems, exploration and discovery. The list goes on, and it's quite unlike and other MMO I've seen to date. On top of that, it's not even in Alpha and looks great!

Game site below:
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/

First, a disclaimer. People often misquote or misinterpret. If you want to get to the bottom of things, go visit the official forum and check the dev journals and design notes for the latest, most accurate information, but bear in mind this is a game under development. Things are moving along really well from what we've seen, but you never know what'll change. Above all, never rely on forums, especially places like this, for reliable facts.

There's a bit of misinformation floating about, so let's tackle the first subject:

"Pay to Win."

As far as most of the community are concerned, Chronicles of Elyria is NOT pay to win.

Following launch there are NO plans for any financial means to get a leg up in the world. You're all playing on the same terms.

Any rank or status you achieve in the world can be lost. Anyone could in theory work their way up the ranks in time from a lowly peasant to a King. Obtaining that rank does NOT ensure you keep it. There may be assassinations, wars, Dukes obtaining a cassus beli and means to challenge your rule, and more. This is a fully dynamic world, and as such, much can change. The pitch is fairness to all, but not equality for all.

So, what's all this pay to win nonsense about? Well, before launch, if you hurry over the the Chronicles of Elyria store, you can sign up to back at a higher tier. This simply helps the developers fund the games development, which so far looks nothing like your bog standard MMO game, and has a very large community getting very excited about it, including myself. Needless to say, the developers really do seem to value everyone in the community, though it seems there's the odd bad-egg in the community who is over demanding of attention. Caspian and SBS are a very approachable bunch though and it seems trying their hardest to develop the game that people really want, something that has been a gaping hole in the market for a very long time.

What does the higher tier give you? Well, if for example you were to back as a count, you would begin the game in one of the "Count" positions. Others may be occupied by NPCs or other players. There are various rewards, Aesthetic rewards like commemorative plagues you can re-make if lost. Others, you may lose permanently. Next, a count does NOT own an entire county. He simply manages certain aspects of it, including the county coffers. Stealing from them may result in his prompt downfall. These differing ranks, more than anything, change your game experience, to an increasingly strategic one.

Look into the detailed design journals and the official postings, as I really can't do the game justice myself on here. Needless to say, I plan to back as a Count, and I know that I could lose it. The game is looking awesome, and the design to date is so different from the market norm that I can't wait to get stuck it.

I have no ambitions myself for rising through the ranks and becoming a duke. I'd be tempted to pass the title on, but perhaps if I make it I'll give it a go. What would you do?

The facts:

1. This is NOT pay to win. Most of the community have said so. The developers have said so.
2. People who say it is invariably have no idea what they think "winning is".
3. Anything you can commit to upfront to help fund the game, you may lose.
4. Those backing at higher tiers are accepting this risk, but supporting the game.
5. You can lose property, mounts, items and more.
6. There are legal frameworks in place, so thieves can be punished, but this does not prevent illegal activity.
7. This game is quite unlike any other MMO to date.
8. The "Exposition store" where you can buy the higher tier backing options is ONLY open until the game launches. It's not an ongoing "pay to get a foot up". As such, from the moment the game goes fully live, EVERYONE can begin gaining or losing their wealth.
9. Playing as a higher tier changes your game experience to a more strategic one. It doesn't make you "win". If you're aiming to be a bold warrior and adventurer, hunting the most dangerous, strangest and rarest creatures in the world, in many respects, a rise in rank may prove a disadvantage. Look into fame and spirit loss yourself.

Post edited by simon155 on
mystichaze

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    My thoughts are that it is CLEARLY P2W for the following reasons:

1. Buy yourself up to a kingship (or multiple kingships in at least 1 case of a guy who spent 40k)
    2. Buy yourself a 3 month no wipe head start in a PvP territory control game with looting
    3. Use real money to buy IP
    4. Use IP to buy items such as:
    • land
    • buildings
    • resources (both common and uncommon)
    • mounts
    • siege weapons

Feel free to have a different opinion but to me this is clearly one of the most over the top P2W games I have seen.

Noxeron

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    And I'd say it's NOT P2W for the following reasons:

1. You can lose anything you buy to another player, even an NPC potentially, with nothing left to show for your money.

2. The backing options are ONLY available PRE-launch to help players to define kingdoms, towns and more, and make the world better prepared for new players. This isn't a "keep throwing money in to stay ahead game".

3. Starting out with extra furniture does not make you "win a game"

4. Many MMOs sell aesthetic  goods for $, which don't offer game advantages, so we should steer clear of false definitions of "IP for $" equating to pay to win.

5. Land can be lost. Buildings can be lost. Resources are finite. Mounts can be lost. Siege weapons can be lost. There is no permanent advantage.

6. Elyria is a world filled with inequality. This isn't a "normal" MMO. In your bog standard MMO, there IS no King. All players are equal. In Elyria, ANY player can potentially rise through the ranks and depose another. A King is NOT equal to a peasant, but reaching King is NOT winning.

7. Perhaps while you're blasting CoE about being P2W, you should define what your idea of "winning" is. If your ideal of winning is owning a mount, then perhaps for you it is P2W.. it just wouldn't fit most people's definition.

mystichaze
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    You can lose anything you pay for to another player or NPC and this is supposed to make me want to play?
    Noxeron
    edited December 2016
    If you're someone who only wants to play a game where he has the option to pay for a permanent advantage, then I don't think this is the game for you.

As I said, Elyria is not pay to win.
    It's unfortunate, but there seems to be a bit of misinformation going around from a small number of people, who have some pretty strange views.

I'd suggest this: DON'T take anyone's word on it here. Go to the official forums: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion

Read up for yourself, and get the official line on the game. There's no shortage of little kids desperate for attention on places like this. It's best just to leave them alone and get accurate information first hand ;)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    simon155 said:

1. You can lose anything you buy to another player, even an NPC potentially, with nothing left to show for your money.

Seriously?

First of all, you can't win in a MMO, so there is no MMO which is literally P2W.
    The term Pay to Win is just a convenient term and it is not meant to be taken literally.
    A loose translation for it would be "Pay to have an advantage over other players" but as you can see it doesn't sound as good, so the community forged the "P2W" terms which is more convenient to use in discussions and generally quickly understandable.

Having establish that.
    It looks like CoE is P2W as having a clear advantage over players is like cheating.
    Buying lands, kingship, huge head start time, it makes it unfair on other players that don't have the same financial power as you do, and conveys the message that rich people are better than you, just like it happens in real life, but in a game I really don't want to see that.
    It doesn't matter that your incompetence as a player make you lose that advantage that you bought, that's irrelevant, that only confirm you should not play games if nothing else, and invest the money in something you are really good at....and leave games to gamers.

Noxeron

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited December 2016
    I wont go into all of your post but will just say much of what you state as fact is HIGHLY subjective and therefore only opinions and not facts.  I would even say your first post is misleading.  Just take this sentence:
    simon155 said:
    ......snip....

As far as most of the community are concerned, Chronicles of Elyria is NOT pay to win.

....snip.....
    Do you claim to speak for all the community? That would indeed be misleading and only an opinion.

Which community do you speak of?  I would assume you mean this one right here at mmorpg since this is the forum you're posting in and the community you're "speaking to".  Again very misleading if you mean something else.

P2w.....this has been a highly debated subject in these forums here at mmorpg numerous times and the only consensus we have is that it is highly subjective and the community can't really agree on what constitutes p2w. 

Do you claim to have single-handedly proven what p2w is and defined it in a way that everyone agrees with?

Somehow I rather doubt it so again highly misleading on your part IMHO.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Buying souls over and over till you get one that gives you the advantage you are looking for. IMO that can be seen as P2W. When your money gives you an advantage over the next guy in combat I am not sure what else to call that.
    Noxeron
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Temporary advantage is still an advantage, 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    So, anyone can lose anything at anytime.  Explain yourself, considering the other CoE thread where the developers said that a GM mode is available for big-money players.  How are they going to lose that?  I do not know what abilities a GM might have, but I can certainly believe that a standard tool would be to relocate another player to deal with stuck in terrain issues.  When a GM transports a character to a dangerous, precarious remote location, how isn't that using real-world money to purchase an ability not normally available in the game?

The imagination has better resolution than any monitor, and words are more effective than pixels.  I think @simon155 drank the Kool Aid.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Asm0deus said:
    I wont go into all of your post but will just say much of what you state as fact is HIGHLY subjective and therefore only opinions and not facts.  I would even say your first post is misleading.  Just take this sentence:
    simon155 said:
    ......snip....

....snip.....
    Do you claim to speak for all the community? That would indeed be misleading and only an opinion.

Which community do you speak of?  I would assume you mean this one right here at mmorpg since this is the forum you're posting in and the community you're "speaking to".  Again very misleading if you mean something else.

P2w.....this has been a highly debated subject in these forums here at mmorpg numerous times and the only consensus we have is that it is highly subjective and the community can't really agree on what constitutes p2w. 

Do you claim to have single-handedly proven what p2w is and defined it in a way that everyone agrees with?

Somehow I rather doubt it so again highly misleading on your part IMHO.

No, I don't speak for all the community, just as you don't speak for everyone that passed by the site.

I speak of the game community itself, over at Chronicles of Elyria. No I don't mean this site. I don't have much interest in this site as it has far less factual information than the game sites themselves. I only followed a link here. As you'll see from my posting count, I'm not an avid follower of the site. I'm basing the statement on the typical responses over on the game site itself, which will be comprised of people who have ready access to far more accurate and detailed information than the mere snippets and misquotes I've seen in this forum. Perhaps it's that abundance of information over there that shapes the difference in responses.

Yes, P2W is very subjective. It would seem strange therefore that it would garner such a significant number of comments. That in mind, best to clarify exactly what's involved so people don't get mislead.

No - defining P2W would have been a good starting point. Hence you'll find detail in my OP that is oddly lacking in many of the other posts that rant about it.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ste2000 said:
    simon155 said:

Seriously?

First of all, you can't win in a MMO, so there is no MMO which is literally P2W.
    The term Pay to Win is just a convenient term and it is not meant to be taken literally.
    A loose translation for it would be "Pay to have an advantage over other players" but as you can see it doesn't sound as good, so the community forged the "P2W" terms which is more convenient to use in discussions and generally quickly understandable.

Having establish that.
    It looks like CoE is P2W as having a clear advantage over players is like cheating.
    Buying lands, kingship, huge head start time, it makes it unfair on other players that don't have the same financial power as you do, and conveys the message that rich people are better than you, just like it happens in real life, but in a game I really don't want to see that.
    It doesn't matter that your incompetence as a player make you lose that advantage that you bought, that's irrelevant, that only confirm you should not play games if nothing else, and invest the money in something you are really good at....and leave games to gamers.

Ok, so let's say that there is no cash shop or anything here. I would be well within my rights to spend $1000 per day to hire myself an army of 100 Chinese players to watch over my kingdom on a daily basis, 24/7, correct? So what does that mean? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Back in my first MMO days the definition for pay to win was to buy that weapon with epic stats to kill other players to conquer areas.

Nowadays you skip the fighting part and buy the area directly.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Nanfoodle said:
    Buying souls over and over till you get one that gives you the advantage you are looking for. IMO that can be seen as P2W. When your money gives you an advantage over the next guy in combat I am not sure what else to call that.
    Again, I'm guessing this is an assumption or partial information that's given you that conclusion.

Souls may have different "stats".

You should start here: http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Souls
    ...and then here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/323/Design-Journal-1--Introduction-to-Souls

Let's imagine a single skill. During your life, the decisions you make and the work you put into developing that skill may have a lasting effect on your soul. Starting with a soul with a greater affinity for something, simply doesn't make you a "master" at it or break the game. During your life, some choices will increase your ability with a skill. You might commit criminal deeds and grief people, only be be thrown in prison. There, time will pass instantly, but having "served" your time, your character will age, and as you've been unable to train your skills in prison, they will atrophy. You might work on alternate skills when you come out.

You can effectively finish a life with a lower affinity for a skill than you started. It all depends on how you play it. Min/Maxing may fit with some games, but Elyria is a great deal more "open plan" than most games. You might assume in a boring run of the mill MMO that maxing a "swordfighting" skill will make you better than everyone else.

In Elyria, it's not the some environment at all. Obtaining better crafted gear may have an impact. Obtaining new skills may have an impact. Making allies certainly will. Improving your ability to survive and thrive will have an impact, increasing the time you can dedicate to your craft. Some players intend to be law breakers. Others intend to get rich from commissions, hunting such people down for profit.

It's very unlikely "cookie cutters" will be commonplace in Elyria. Even the discovery system is wildly complex. Events in the world may randomly present opportunities for discovery to those in the right place at the right time. Having goods from one professions and working on another might yield a discovery. Experimentation and being different are two factors most likely to reward players.

edited December 2016
    Mendel said:
    So, anyone can lose anything at anytime.  Explain yourself, considering the other CoE thread where the developers said that a GM mode is available for big-money players.  How are they going to lose that?  I do not know what abilities a GM might have, but I can certainly believe that a standard tool would be to relocate another player to deal with stuck in terrain issues.  When a GM transports a character to a dangerous, precarious remote location, how isn't that using real-world money to purchase an ability not normally available in the game?

The imagination has better resolution than any monitor, and words are more effective than pixels.  I think @simon155 drank the Kool Aid.

Go back and look at that thread again. I read a later posting by the devs that stated they had no such plan. Sadly some visitor took it upon himself to plaster an out of context posting from an "ideas discussion" thread as fact, something that was later proven not to be the case.

As I've often said, never rely on places like this for facts - best to go to source.
    edited December 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:
    simon155 said:

Seriously?

Having establish that.

Ok, so let's say that there is no cash shop or anything here. I would be well within my rights to spend $1000 per day to hire myself an army of 100 Chinese players to watch over my kingdom on a daily basis, 24/7, correct? So what does that mean? 
    The list of MMOs that you couldn't do that in would be very small indeed.

Perhaps we'll see some gold farmer attempting to do exactly that. Unlike many MMOs, the fact that you can lose it will make it all the more rewarding if a gold seller does get found. The inevitable consequence is that potentially entire kingdoms will raise against them, and you'll get to witness one of the first amusing MMO scenes unfold where a gold seller gets ripped off and cleaned out by an armed player base.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited December 2016
    WOW - they hype is real for CoE - players bought it hook, line and sinker. It is a P2W game - period. Buying an advantage is P2W. You can slice it any way you want to but  piece of coal is still just a piece of coal and this game is definitely P2W no matter what the apologists say.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/459061/developer-has-no-objection-to-allowing-high-donating-players-have-gm-accounts-not-p2w-lol/p1

So it is not P2W? Buy the man a clue.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited December 2016
    simon155 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:
    simon155 said:

Seriously?

Having establish that.

Perhaps we'll see some gold farmer attempting to do exactly that. Unlike many MMOs, the fact that you can lose it will make it all the more rewarding if a gold seller does get found. The inevitable consequence is that potentially entire kingdoms will raise against them, and you'll get to witness one of the first amusing MMO scenes unfold where a gold seller gets ripped off and cleaned out by an armed player base.

My point exactly. I mean there was an article here today that talked about some guy spending $1 million in Game of War. So, yeah, technically there could be someone out there interested in controlling the game. However, the question is, realistically, is this something that people would be concerned with? I don't see people talk about this scenario at ALL! Yet people seem to think that things like 3-week head starts are game-breaking advantages. Again, I think people really just need to put things in perspective and think realistically. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2016
    botrytis said:
    WOW - they hype is real for CoE - players bought it hook, line and sinker. It is a P2W game - period. Buying an advantage is P2W. You can slice it any way you want to but  piece of coal is still just a piece of coal and this game is definitely P2W no matter what the apologists say.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/459061/developer-has-no-objection-to-allowing-high-donating-players-have-gm-accounts-not-p2w-lol/p1

Thanks for proving my point.

Now if we go to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14989/equity-vs-fairness?page=9

... and read post #133 from the actual source you'll start to correct the misinformation.

Your first clue should be the fact it's a discussion thread. The devs there like to bounce ideas off the community and gauge reception. If you get a clown plastering a thought around as if it's gospel and a final decision, you're going to be misinformed.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I would say it is P2W.  I also understand that it's also startup money. I think it's a ripoff to those buying because there will be organized guilds who will take everything you bought.  Not to mention we don't even know the dynamics of the gameplay.

I would never want my game especially a sandbox to be lose its integrity by having paid for advantages sponsored by the game itself.
  • NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64
    CrazKanuk said:
    simon155 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ste2000 said:
    simon155 said:

Seriously?

Having establish that.

My point exactly. I mean there was an article here today that talked about some guy spending $1 million in Game of War. So, yeah, technically there could be someone out there interested in controlling the game. However, the question is, realistically, is this something that people would be concerned with? I don't see people talk about this scenario at ALL! Yet people seem to think that things like 3-week head starts are game-breaking advantages. Again, I think people really just need to put things in perspective and think realistically. 
    As I see it: paying people to play the game for you, is not the same thing as paying the game to give you an advantage (Whatever that advantage may be).
    edited December 2016
    I would say it is P2W.  I also understand that it's also startup money. I think it's a ripoff to those buying because there will be organized guilds who will take everything you bought.  Not to mention we don't even know the dynamics of the gameplay.

I would never want my game especially a sandbox to be lose its integrity by having paid for advantages sponsored by the game itself.
    I'm sure there will be organized guilds. Thankfully a max population of 100k human players per server, in addition to X NPCs will offset that risk... just a bit :)

Sadly there are group mentalities like that in any MMO.. many have been brought down by it. The devs seem to be doing all they can, and making provision to offset any risks that are raised like those.

The risk of such organized groups is no greater than buying tiers for launch.

In many respects, having tiers open pre-launch as they are will catch a wider cross section of the public, and reduce the risk of things being monopolized.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    simon155 said:
    botrytis said:

Thanks for proving my point.

Now if we go to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14989/equity-vs-fairness?page=9

... and read post #133 from the actual source you'll start to correct the misinformation.

Your first clue should be the fact it's a discussion thread. The devs there like to bounce ideas off the community and gauge reception. If you get a clown plastering a thought around as if it's gospel and a final decision, you're going to be misinformed.

It's called backpedaling, in particular 3. in most dictionaries.  Also I think that not the only concern people have just the one that made things go poof.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2016
    "As I see it: paying people to play the game for you, is not the same thing as paying the game to give you an advantage (Whatever that advantage may be).  "

That is debatable... In fact paying people to play it for you is worse, as it not only gives you an advantage off the bat, but an ongoing one at that. This assumes something about what you define "advantage" as. Elyria isn't as clear cut as most titles in that respect. There are so many routes to success that it's not so simply defined. If you want to becomes a legendary monster slayer, ruling a kingdom is not the best route. If you want to become a legendary blacksmith it won't fit either. All things take time, and skills are soft capped in many ways.

You'd need an awfully large employee base to fend off 100k players and potentially more NPCs if you decided to announce yourself as a gold seller.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    It's not P2W it's Pay to GM.