Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting in this Forum- Please Read!

TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

This forum is the for the discussion of roleplay, roleplay games/guilds, and for roleplay itself.  Please note that this means actual roleplaying, not anything-RPG.  If you want to talk about non-roleplay topics, please do so elsewhere :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
Community Manager
MMORPG.com

Comments

• marco1978marco1978 Member Posts: 1

I've read, just a little confused. What's mean by saying roleplay but not RPG, isn't that roleplay?

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

"RPG" means roleplay game, but not neccesarily roleplaying - that is, it's a game that users a level based system but users aren't neccesarily roleplaying.  This forum is specifically for in-character discussion, or discussion about the actual act of roleplaying :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Actually I have to correct you. Role playing game is a game were you take on the ROLE of someone else. For instance a mage, warrior, or some combination there of.

Leveling system is not the criterion, its the fact that your playing as something other than yourself.

As for what roleplaying is, well, simply think of it like this. Instead of playing your character like an extension of yourself, play it like its own person. Create a story line for the character, birth, family, hometown, likes dislikes, etc.

For instance, you might be a sweet / nice person in real life, but in game you play a ruthless murdering mercenary. You might be a rather strong willed arrogant person in real life, but in game you play a friendly and generous priest.

Regardless, roleplaying is leaving your rl troubles behind for a while, and taking on the troubles and joys of a character that you have created in your head.

• Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Actually I have to correct you. Role playing game is a game were you take on the ROLE of someone else. For instance a mage, warrior, or some combination there of.

Leveling system is not the criterion, its the fact that your playing as something other than yourself.

As for what roleplaying is, well, simply think of it like this. Instead of playing your character like an extension of yourself, play it like its own person. Create a story line for the character, birth, family, hometown, likes dislikes, etc.

For instance, you might be a sweet / nice person in real life, but in game you play a ruthless murdering mercenary. You might be a rather strong willed arrogant person in real life, but in game you play a friendly and generous priest.

Regardless, roleplaying is leaving your rl troubles behind for a while, and taking on the troubles and joys of a character that you have created in your head.

i second the motion!

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by machrine3

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

i second the motion!

Third.

• kharskhars Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

I forth! :)

• Cupid+1Cupid+1 Member Posts: 1

Can someone suggest me a best free role playing game? I tried Feista and Shaiya but those games sucked. Sick of poor graphics and laggy servers. If you are playing a good game them let me know because I am in the market for new game now.

-Cupid-

• RydudeRydude Member Posts: 3

Ummm...pretty sure WoW is a real roleplaying game...?

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Cupid+1

Can someone suggest me a best free role playing game? I tried Feista and Shaiya but those games sucked. Sick of poor graphics and laggy servers. If you are playing a good game them let me know because I am in the market for new game now.

LOTRO maybe.

• GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Sorry for latching onto this thread but...how do I create a new thread? I can't seem to find a "New Topic" button or anything anywhere. O_o
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    *winks slyly and walks across the room staring at everyone one at a time*   There I just did some roleplay
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • heartsofnineheartsofnine Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @Taera I want to know what the best MMO is and what makes it the best out of all the MMO's out there. Can you help?
     B) Robert Clark
  • heartsofnineheartsofnine Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @rydianmorrison I want to know what the best MMO is and what makes it the best out of all the MMO's out there. Can you help?
     B) Robert Clark
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Taera said:

This forum is the for the discussion of roleplay, roleplay games/guilds, and for roleplay itself.  Please note that this means actual roleplaying, not anything-RPG.  If you want to talk about non-roleplay topics, please do so elsewhere :)

Do you mean roleplay we are like cosplayers? And rpg we are gamers?  :/