Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear grind, P2W, RNG & PvP - It's actually a pretty bad game

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
Don't be mislead by the title of this topic. I loved Black Desert online from it's first beta and actually I still like most of it's concepts. That is, if I stay below 45 to focus on what I want: life skills. But that'd mean missing out on most of it's content (Mediah, Valencia and whatever will be coming up in the future).

Despite this love, there are a couple of things that are actually pretty bad about the game, some of which have been mentioned before by others (P2W and RNG), but when you look at the bigger picture (my whole topic), one can only conclude that BDO is nothing less than the average F2P game where P2W rampages. Heck, I even dare to say that the average F2P game is better because of the lack of most of the mechanics included in those games, which have been fucked up by Pear Abyss.

Now let me start explaining why BDO is so bad and follow the order of my topic...

Gear Grind - While nothing new in the MMO scene, the way BDO manages it's gear grind things are getting kinda off balance there. I'm not talking about the difference between (lets say) and Agerian set and a Boss set, but the pure difference between enchanting levels on the gear. Up to +10 the difference isn't that big, but from that point on, and more seriously the PRI, DUO, TRI, TET and PEN (and later up to DEC!) difference is massive. It's also not without reason that the top guilds are now recruiting members with a combined AP/DP of 400+.
But how to get this massive gear..? That'll bring me to the 2nd part...

P2W - Mentioned more than once and some think BDO is not so much P2W, but it actually is! I'm not talking about value packs, Blessings, scrolls and such, but the monetary part of P2W. Ever since DAUM/Kakau decided to allow the sale of pearl items on the market (something which they said NEVER to allow at release I might add), there's quite a number of whales in the game. Just look at the game's system notices and you see batches of pearl shop items put on the market, which in turn are sold in seconds. That's a massive amount of money these players 'earn' with only the swipe of their creditcard. Where I'd ear about 5M a day, they earn 100M for a 'mere' $100. Now I'm not saying that these whales are bad or something (it's their money and if they want to spend $100s on virtual items along with the upcoming RNG, be my guest), but they get an advantage over non P2W players. Heck, my characters haven't even crossed the 100M money in bank threshold yet.

RNG - I understand that MMOs need some level of RNG, but the way Pearl Abyss has implemented their RNG is just too much. Really, with almost everything there's an RNG aspect in the game, but the main thing is...Gear grind and more specifically, enchanting.
Just to quote something I heard earlier today in channel that "Oh wow, it must suck to have lost 1 billion to try for a TET item and fail". Yes, that's right, some player has set his whole armor set back to PRI just to try to get one item to TET. And I've encountered it myself as well, what with 45 failstacks I can't even make an item TRI! It's all RNG when it comes down to enchanting and the RNG is real bad in BDO. At times you don't need any failstacks to make an item +15 and at times you try a dozen times and can't even get your weapon to +8.
Now back to the previous thing: P2W. If you're a whale and have a big (parent's) creditcard, you don't give a shit about it and just swipe again for a rinse and repeat until you do get that TET or PEN item that you want so badly.
...and how's this all related to PvP..?

PvP - First off the mechanics - THEY SUCK BALLS! You're playing a PvP game and you MUST toggle PvP before you can even damage someone (unless that player has negative karma). This is something that I simply don't get why developers even add a PvP toggle in a PvP game. I loved Lineage II's PvP 'toggle', where you just pressed CTRL and the skill to damage your player, but BDO (and most other 'PvP games' with a PvP toggle) you must toggle, which results in a tiny animation, just long enough to make you immobile and a sitting duck for the baddy who's already whacking you - this tiny animation is at times even enough to be killed!
Secondly, the purpose of PvP - THERE IS NONE! Where in some MMOs the PvP has actual meaning (guild status, territory control and such), in BDO the PvP has no meaning at all. It's just implemented to cater the grievers. You don't get a single thing from it, aside from LOSS of items when you die (and even a bigger loss when you have your PvP toggled!). It's really utterly useless in the fields! And to say it's *THAT* useful during node wars, not really. Most of the times the node wars are just one guild who's trying to get a small node for tax income while others just don't bother. The only real interesting part of server PvP are the countries, but that's nothing more than just a zerg (as always with those big-ass PvP areas).

How does this all come together and make Black Desert a bad game? SImple, Just buy pearl items, sell for silver and get the best gear money (real and silver!) can buy. The more AP/DP you have (TET/PEN and later down the road DEC gear) the more invincible you are. Add that bad PvP toggle to the game and you have all ingredients for a badly designed game.

Comments

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381
    100M is nothing once you get to a certain point in the game, you can easy farm 10m+ an hour, and some hardcore lifeskillers make way more pr hour. and those 100M will advance you nothing towards a tet or pen. Only thing I would concider "p2w" is artisan memory. These save you a lot of time and money, but the silver part of pearl, is not at all imo.
  • SkillgannonSkillgannon Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Get of you high horse, the game starts past lvl 50 and you did not even touch that.
    If you want to tell ppl what is bad, play it completely and not the tutorial because thats what it is to lvl 50, u can reach that in a day.

Yes the RNG is bad but you dont have to do it, above lvl 55 u can make an easy 20 million a day and eventually buy the stuff of the market.
    It takes longer and is a bit more expensive as trying to enchant it but its a way that works(im doing it)

The pvp toggle is great imo so its something you dont like but it does not make the game bad =)

The game is not P2W in that what you state because there is a limit to the money you can make by selling pearl items. There is no limit to what you can make a day in game and that is a lot more then 100 million.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Get of you high horse, the game starts past lvl 50 and you did not even touch that.
    If you want to tell ppl what is bad, play it completely and not the tutorial because thats what it is to lvl 50, u can reach that in a day.
    Already 56, Wizard and bored like hell because of (yet an other) break of promise to awaken all classes at once.
    The pvp toggle is great imo so its something you dont like but it does not make the game bad =)
    PvP toggle is bad for an other thing I forgot to mention. YOU CAN NOT HIT SOMEONE WITH A PVP TOGGLE THAT IS HITTING YOU! You can only hit red players, but a blue(ish) player toggled for PvP is a no-hit on your side unless you're toggling PvP. That, along with the slight delay makes the toggle a big bad NO-NO to start with...
  • SkillgannonSkillgannon Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Ask your guild to declare war so you can kill the one that attacks you, its not that you lose anything when you get killed if you are not pvp flagged, i like it how they did it with the pvp and a lot more players so its your opinion and not a bad game thing.

Still a post about one players thoughts about the game, you should change the title to "IMO its a bad game"
    But IMO its not, and a lot of players have fun so think im not alone in that.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Ask your guild to declare war so you can kill the one that attacks you, its not that you lose anything when you get killed if you are not pvp flagged, i like it how they did it with the pvp and a lot more players so its your opinion and not a bad game thing.

Still a post about one players thoughts about the game, you should change the title to "IMO its a bad game"
    But IMO its not, and a lot of players have fun so think im not alone in that.
    Of course its his opinion. Most people are smart enough to figure that part out..
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited December 2016
    OP forgot about endgame.  Here's Black Desert's "endgame" summed up in one pic.  Just go afk and fish.  Keep in mind, this is only one spot, but go to any town on any channel and you'll see the same thing.  I tried twice to get into this game but i can't last more than an hour.  The game is just boring.