Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Second Gameplay Stream Overview

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
Hey guys, I went ahead and compiled all the important info from the second gameplay stream down and talk about it for roughly 30 minutes. Hope you all enjoyed the stream as much as I did, I was stoked to talk about Panth again after the long downtime between the previous stream and this one. 

https://youtu.be/1EydZWE4v4c

EDIT: I got a request from a viewer asking for a written version of the video. I will go ahead and provide all my notes below for those who cant view the video to pour over, or who wants to use it as a reference guide to whats talked about in the video and follow along with the points. 

Pantheon stream 12/9/16

Graphics

Much updating done to character models, Landscapes look amazing.

Cities LOOK HUGE!

Draw Distance is incredible. Can see players at dungeon start looking from hundreds of feet in the air.

UI Mods CONFIRMED - *nothing involving scripting*.

Races

Gnomes: look incredible – Very steampunk/scifi with ethereal bodies – Obsession with arcane and arcane knowledge. “Delved too deeply into arcane knowledge, Found relic that was so powerful that killed half the gnomes. Life Energy is contained inside technology. Body Glows on the ground.

“Isolated enigmatic, very peaceful.” – they made Gnomes badass.

Ogre: looks BIG AND BRUTISH AND UGLY.

Archai: very BROKEN living feel to them - look awesome.

Races/Classes will be locked to certain ones.

Races will have specific abilities for their race.

Coldark Dwarves have frost resist.

Servers

Will have a PVP server at launch.

Will have a “Free” Server where you can play to level 5-10 for free.

Grouping

Group Size of 6 – confirmed.

Raid sized not confirmed.

Crafting

Initial plan is that you can craft and level without fighting.

Player driven crafting Adventurers/Crafters Support each other.

Customization will be limited, no “Purple Mithril Armor”.

Fishing will be in.

Mounts

Mounts at higher levels ONLY.

Seafearing vessels planned for later on in development.

Perception System

Embrace or Disregard Mechanic for Quest Givers

Perception Pings – Two Types

Passive: Insight

Active: Investigate

NPC’s will talk to you, the environment engages YOU!

Quests/Dungeons

Keepers Tome: Writes down all quest dialogue .

You can pick up quests at different times, like middle of the series.

Class Specific epic quests.

Certain Area’s only accessible by quest lines. Key is given and you put it straight in your inventory.

*Amber Fate – underground ice area. One of the most gorgeous looking areas of any MMO I’ve seen. Slippery floors. You feel cold just looking at the area. High-Tier Frigid environment. Sprawling area’s with bridges and lots of chasms. IS HUGE!

Acclimation – weather for different areas.

Atmospheres: Need “Ring of Anchors” to make it through hostile atmosphere.

Climbing Skill is in! Vertical Dungeons benefit from higher Climbing Skill.

*Hit jump and then press forward.*

Combat

Tank, Heal, DPS, CC (Crowd Control) are the core of combat.

“Encounter Control” or Climate Control – Druid for example change the climate to Scorching Hot to render cold shield inoperable.

Possible AOE’s that can damage players but VERY Powerful!

First and Third Person, each to switch.

Root Animation is in and looks good.

Ranged combat isn’t it yet but will be fore sure at launch.

12 classes at launch.

Limited to 10 (most likely) abilities on action bar.

Training comes through scrolls, you can take with you and add to your spell book.

You do have to /sit to regain mana/health.

*Low numbers in combat a big personal plus for me*

Onboarding Programs

Volunteer Guide

Guild Out-reach program

GM’s available to Help.

Mentoring (temporary de-leveing)

Voluntary system put down preference’s and playtypes.

PC/Console

PC for sure and Mac is likely

Localization being considered through different publishers

1st and 2nd quarter of the year next year for outside people to play and get in.

Misc

Coh’s stream was not Sponsered, he asked to stream the game and jumped at the opportunity.

THERE WILL BE DRAGONS! Lots of forms of them. Exotic Dragons as well for High Level Play.

EQ-like sound effects!!

Post edited by sludgebeard on

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited December 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VljOeRfis

Wow this is exactly like a trip down to Everquest it's eerie how alike the game is. Even the equipment window is reminiscent.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    kitarad said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VljOeRfis

Wow this is exactly like a trip down to Everquest it's eerie how alike the game is. Even the equipment window is reminiscent.
    From the "Ding" when you level to the UI it's very EQ. In my opinion Pantheon is going to be what EQ2 should have been. I feel even more strongly about that statement than I do saying it about Vanguard.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Huge improvement over the last time I saw the game. Looks really great.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    To be honest I'm also getting excited and then wavering from bouts of self castigation about getting by hopes high and then getting excited nevertheless.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited December 2016
    Watching the stream gave me goosebumps it's was EQ in an alternative world. The sounds of some spells made me smile, was laughing at the fizzles.  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2016
    The game is looking good graphically no problem there.
    I still have some fears that the game will be too much like EQ1,a game design i no longer like.
    I couldn't get enough out of the stream,they are bad at relaying information during a stream,example i did not want to hear player introductions for 5 minutes.

I have no doubt what so ever,the main premise purpose of the game will be solid,my fear are smaller things that i feel strongly about.

ALTS alts alts,i can't stand that design idea that SOE went with.Another  is i did not see the players missing ever,i only saw a few misses by the mob.Another idea i felt SOE did not do well enough is the various TYPES of damage,that aspect always seemed like a shallow idea that was never done well enough.

It kind of bothers me that games continue to put those colored rings around the target,that ruins immersion for me,why is there a ring,it is not realistic looking.I would definitely prefer to see the red circle ring taken out.

I also got no indication of TEAMWORK,SOE always made group play feel like a bunch of single players under a group banner.One example is the Rogue,he does his special things but always alone,backstab alone with no other player alignment,stealth again to backstab alone.I am sure there is likely a cover mechanic for the tank but maybe not?I want to see group play enforced,player alignments,actions that work together.
    As to pet classes,i also want to see that done way better than in previous EQ games.Example 3 types of pets for each level,dps,tank and various.

They talk about day n Night,i would also like to see weather effects and perhaps mobs that only come out at night/day and mobs that have varied abilities during day n night.

I feel it is a HUGE mistake to go for pvp,i am sure that helped make Wow a bigger game but imo it takes staff resources to work on pvp and balance and i HATE balance in a TEAMWORK mmorpg.There is no reason to ever have balance but pvp MUST have balance ,so it is a contradictory design.

None the less it is looking good,i hope the game turns out to be better than EQ1 weak points ,i don't want another EQ1.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    If it's not Ffxi the wiz isn't happy. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    OMG that is so EQ .  Did you guys read the information on how the creatures responding ,dying and so on it is exactly like EQ. Okay calming down but the fact that it is so much like EQ with better graphics is the exact reason I'm interested . I mean that is what any EQ lover wants and yes what we wanted in EQ next.

I'd say there are people out there that will play this game for the exact reason others won't but if they are happy with a devoted but smaller player base, then I will buy this when it comes out.
    Chamber of Chains
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    There will be allot of people that wont like this game, allot of them, but that's by design.  This is without question not a we made an MMO for ever MMO player out there game.  That's basically whats wrong with MMO's today.  Nor do I like most modern MMO systems, combat flash and geographic design in general.

This game will do very well in its own right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Just a small housekeeping response: This is an overview of the "Third content Stream" from the Pantheon Team featuring CohhCarnage not the Second. Video title has been updated accordingly.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited December 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    So far, so good!
    edited December 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Xodic said:
    I agree with Wiz on this one. I like the nod to the classic but to game in the 21st century I expect to have 21st conventions. If this game sits squarely in the 20th century then I may just pass.

Avoiding modern conventions is why Pantheon even has a fan base. What conventions are you referring to exactly? Other than cash shops, quest hubs and solo game-play.
    I disagree that avoiding modern conventions is why it has a fan base. I believe that is one of the reasons. Not the only one.
    Brad McQ also has a following all on his own and mainly for creating worlds that feel organic and immersive and not just set pieces.
    1. PvP has no place in a game like this and I feel that is a bad move on the developers part.
    Target rings are last gen and can stay there in my opinion.
    Modern conventions could include location based damage. Attack the arm the arm becomes unusable,for example. 
    2. Could include physics in the game and elemental actions like Project Gorgon uses.
    Could include Spellcrafting instead of just 'DING' and get the next 'rung on the ladder' spells and abilities.
    3. A.I. that is dynamic and eliminate the pattern walkers that most games have.
    4. Weather that affects gameplay like fire spells not working in the rain. Frost spells getting a proc when in snow areas.
    This is almost 2017 and we are looking forward to games that play like they were made 15 to 20 years ago? Sad state for the genre indeed. 
    Hey BlueTurtle, so im not sure if you got a chance to watch the stream or my video but I highly recommend checking out either for more info - based off a few points you stated here. Allow me to elucidate. 

1. PVP is being done as a separate server - it is in no associated with the core game, but they understand people do have an interest in this type of gameplay and will have an option to chose a PVP server at launch.

2. Physics are def in the game right now, even in a pre-alpha capacity - and most certainty have mechanics in place relating to different elements. They have necromancers that can knock back enemies or force them to go off route (disrupt walking), frozen caverns where players can slip across the floor as they run causing them to go off balance. (Ill talk a bit more about this in point 4)

3. While I cant speak to what the future holds for Dynamic AI - I was personally impressed by the perception system and the world reacting to you rather than the other way around. It was nice to see a player walking idley by an NPC and having them initiate the dialogue and not the other way around (at the players consent of course). There is definitely some groundwork here to go beyond just simply talking to NPC to grab a quest and that's it.

4. Going off of point 2 - They already have in place certain areas where they have for example a "Frigid" Acclimation. This means if you go into a snow mountain, you will want to bring spells to counter the constant cold of the area. Coldark Dwarves get an automatic bonus resist against cold, so they can survive easier in these climates but others will need a form of heat distriubtion through spells or what have you, armor, to get through with business as usual.

My favorite example of this was actually found in the final area they travelled to in the stream known as Amber Fate  - Where the players stumbled upon a giant forge buried in the top of the vertical dungeon. 

The Forge is used by an NPC Master Smith, and there is a physical (You can see the acclimation's in the form of an aura around the area) area around the forge where it is so Hot that if anyone was to go down and try and use the forge without proper protection they will quickly die from the environment.

So then they put forth the idea that if you got special armor to block the heat, and began doing quests and talking with this smith, you could eventually develop a relationship with him and be allowed access to his forge, which can be used to make special materials. 

That right there is what makes Pantheon so great in my eyes, is the forethought of "Emergent Gameplay", thats a Feature (yes a feature) that I have absolutely missed in MMO's for some time, and its one the major reasons im so excited for Pantheon.

Anyways, I respect your opinion either way, and if this game isnt for you I completely understand, I just wanted to explain that some features your looking for or interested in, are in the game right now in a Raw Pre-alpha state. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Xodic said:
    I agree with Wiz on this one. I like the nod to the classic but to game in the 21st century I expect to have 21st conventions. If this game sits squarely in the 20th century then I may just pass.

Avoiding modern conventions is why Pantheon even has a fan base. What conventions are you referring to exactly? Other than cash shops, quest hubs and solo game-play.
    I disagree that avoiding modern conventions is why it has a fan base. I believe that is one of the reasons. Not the only one.
    Brad McQ also has a following all on his own and mainly for creating worlds that feel organic and immersive and not just set pieces.
    1. PvP has no place in a game like this and I feel that is a bad move on the developers part.
    Modern conventions could include location based damage. Attack the arm the arm becomes unusable,for example. 
    2. Could include physics in the game and elemental actions like Project Gorgon uses.
    Could include Spellcrafting instead of just 'DING' and get the next 'rung on the ladder' spells and abilities.
    3. A.I. that is dynamic and eliminate the pattern walkers that most games have.
    4. Weather that affects gameplay like fire spells not working in the rain. Frost spells getting a proc when in snow areas.
    This is almost 2017 and we are looking forward to games that play like they were made 15 to 20 years ago? Sad state for the genre indeed. 
    Hey BlueTurtle, so im not sure if you got a chance to watch the stream or my video but I highly recommend checking out either for more info - based off a few points you stated here. Allow me to elucidate. 

1. PVP is being done as a separate server - it is in no associated with the core game, but they understand people do have an interest in this type of gameplay and will have an option to chose a PVP server at launch.

2. Physics are def in the game right now, even in a pre-alpha capacity - and most certainty have mechanics in place relating to different elements. They have necromancers that can knock back enemies or force them to go off route (disrupt walking), frozen caverns where players can slip across the floor as they run causing them to go off balance. (Ill talk a bit more about this in point 4)

3. While I cant speak to what the future holds for Dynamic AI - I was personally impressed by the perception system and the world reacting to you rather than the other way around. It was nice to see a player walking idley by an NPC and having them initiate the dialogue and not the other way around (at the players consent of course). There is definitely some groundwork here to go beyond just simply talking to NPC to grab a quest and that's it.

4. Going off of point 2 - They already have in place certain areas where they have for example a "Frigid" Acclimation. This means if you go into a snow mountain, you will want to bring spells to counter the constant cold of the area. Coldark Dwarves get an automatic bonus resist against cold, so they can survive easier in these climates but others will need a form of heat distriubtion through spells or what have you, armor, to get through with business as usual.

My favorite example of this was actually found in the final area they travelled to in the stream known as Amber Fate  - Where the players stumbled upon a giant forge buried in the top of the vertical dungeon. 

The Forge is used by an NPC Master Smith, and there is a physical (You can see the acclimation's in the form of an aura around the area) area around the forge where it is so Hot that if anyone was to go down and try and use the forge without proper protection they will quickly die from the environment.

So then they put forth the idea that if you got special armor to block the heat, and began doing quests and talking with this smith, you could eventually develop a relationship with him and be allowed access to his forge, which can be used to make special materials. 

That right there is what makes Pantheon so great in my eyes, is the forethought of "Emergent Gameplay", thats a Feature (yes a feature) that I have absolutely missed in MMO's for some time, and its one the major reasons im so excited for Pantheon.

Anyways, I respect your opinion either way, and if this game isnt for you I completely understand, I just wanted to explain that some features your looking for or interested in, are in the game right now in a Raw Pre-alpha state. 
    Well I did back the game and financially supported it. I am just waiting for a more complete state before declaring it the savior for the fantasy MMORPG genre.
    As I have been privy to and worked on and become educated about some newer games in the pipeline, my interest in MMORPGs going beyond the archaic and into the new is becoming more important to me than just an EQ3. Which I have no issue with if that is the type of game it turns out to be it just may not be for me.
    I wish the team much love and luck!   
    Totally agree, and I honestly am 100% about being an informed consumer and asking questions, not just assuming everything thats written on paper. 

Glad to see more solid discussion coming out of this community in general.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited December 2016
    delete
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Didnt like the shiny rock so much.  Hopefully its just unfinished textures or there is a lore reason why this dungeon is so shiny.  And they need to increase falling damage.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited December 2016
    Xodic said:

PvP has no place in a game like this and I feel that is a bad move on the developers part.
    Could include physics in the game and elemental actions like Project Gorgon uses.
    A.I. that is dynamic and eliminate the pattern walkers that most games have.
    Weather that affects gameplay like fire spells not working in the rain. Frost spells getting a proc when in snow areas.
    First, the game isn't designed for PvP, and neither was EQ, but EQ PvP was amazing for that very reason. It gave us something worth fighting for: the progression. That's better than any other PvP title I've ever played.

There are plenty of new things that Pantheon has or will offer. What we see in these streams combat wise (and really everything else) is very pre-alpha. We're talking about low level classes without all of their abilities. We're also looking at very basic mobs without the NPC dispositions or "AI".

These are the things that will make combat much more interesting and engaging. In these streams so far, classes have had very limited ability pools and only really needed basic CC, healing and damage abilities. Once mobs become harder and players are given more offensive and defensive decisions to make, that will seriously change the way things work and the feel of combat.

The game is (or will be) quite unique. The comparisons you made were pretty off in most cases. You should really watch the latest stream all the way through, because it sounds like you might have missed it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    svann said:
    Didnt like the shiny rock so much.  Hopefully its just unfinished textures or there is a lore reason why this dungeon is so shiny.  And they need to increase falling damage.
    If you mean the ceiling rock in the vertical dungeon I think they are meant to be shiny since they are made of ice (not snow)

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Wow.

Looking nice and can't wait to play.