Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless is the RPG to Watch in 2017 - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDauntless is the RPG to Watch in 2017 - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Between this year’s Game Awards and the PlayStation Experience conference, there was no shortage of exciting RPG news. Even among heavy hitters inside and outside the RPG world, what stood out most was a new game from a new studio: Dauntless, the first game by Phoenix Labs. The trailer was stunning but didn’t reveal much. We did some digging and found out how much more there is to be about than art style. Read on for our thoughts!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If its anything like Monster Hunter Online, it'll just be another lobby game.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Albatroes said:

If its anything like Monster Hunter Online, it'll just be another lobby game.

You dare speak ill of MH?! I for one hope it is a more instanced online game. Combat usually benefits from the game not being set up like an MMO.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    This is the Dauntless game I loved:   https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3607/dauntless

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited December 2016
    I'm getting a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe from the art style.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    laserit said:

Did you play KoA?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    waynejr2 said:
    laserit said:

Did you play KoA?
    I have but never finished it.

I also have one of those signature limited edition collections with the table top sitting in my Man Cave. Every time I look at it, I say to myself I must revisit the game. Maybe this weekend will be the day ;) but then again my wife will probably find better more boring things for us to do :(

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

laserit said:

More like Dota 2 in 3rd person perspective for me...

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    LOLOL!! Wizardry's comment has been removed!! :awesome:

Justice has spoken!!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    This got my attention!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2016
    Torval said:

They should look to Destiny for their coop format. It is very accessible for grouping. Raiding and team pvp is big in the game. It works because they host the servers.
    So long as they don't require a load screen in and out for every. LIttle. Area.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I like monster battles, but I bore of games that focus solely on Monsters as the enemy. I also want to fight powerful normal human sized foes as well... maybe some undead, a werewolf...
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Dauntless is a co-op action RPG

SOLD !
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This looks like a worse version of torchlight .. not a good first impression.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Those hammers and axes are way too big, no thanks but good luck anyways!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    To me looks more like EQ Next artwork got those Disney facial features. Another stylized game, blah.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited December 2016
    looks ok

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I loved the art style and the fact that the characters all ran to find a common enemy not fighting each other. I am not very good at action games and I'm hoping for a support role I might excel in. Looking forward to this.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Stylized graphics...ugh...can this die out already?!?!?!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Was not very impressed with the trailer, just have to wait and see what kind of game play results from this game.  Hope it is not console only because I have yet to find a RPG that plays well on one.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Rukushin said:
    Stylized graphics...ugh...can this die out already?!?!?!
    But stylized graphics are easier to handle in the long run and don't age as hard!!

Too bad most games with stylized graphics don't get old enough to proof this point...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I don't like the Art Style, just that put me off completely

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    REALLY looking forward to this. Any western Monster Hunter fan should be excited for this.

Maybe this game will get Capcom's attention...But probably not because Japan does what Japan wants...

Hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds!

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Pheonix Labs? You guys seriously need to run this through at least a C-grade word processor before posting.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Stay on your toes and seek your opening to unleash deadly strikes at the first opportunity. pic.twitter.com/45LJR0LpGx

— Dauntless (@PlayDauntless) November 30, 2016

Not sure if I did this right.. Sorry if I didn't but here is a glimpse of gameplay footage.