Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RUMOR: Strategic Options Include Possible Sale of CCP - EVE Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageRUMOR: Strategic Options Include Possible Sale of CCP - EVE Online - MMORPG.com

EVE Online News - Bloomberg is reporting that CCP's owners are "exploring strategic options" to remain solvent including possible sale of the business to potential bidders. This is "according to people with knowledge of the matter" says the report.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    "exploring strategic options" to remain solvent"

Well that's never good is it?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2016
    ya know about a year ago there was a rumor they were going to go public , which i thought was a good idea , and one i was interested in, It never happened tho, obviously ,Which in hindsight of this news leaves me wondering if they should have ...ANd wondering if this still an option ?
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Wow. They had a license to print money and squandered it.

Got overambitious with too many properties at once. The ones that they did manage to get to market failed horribly.

If they had of just stuck with Eve they would have been fine.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I wonder how much the dive into VR hurt them, if at all?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Atlan99 said:

Got overambitious with too many properties at once. The ones that they did manage to get to market failed horribly.

That's not true at all. The issue isn't with their management of resources, but their decline in subscriptions. At it's peak EVE was at around 500k subscribers and, now, it's estimated that half that or less. They attempted to diversify their portfolio with no success, you're right, but that wasn't the nail in the coffin, inevitability was.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The Eve f2p thing was a wild hope of getting more people to sub.but its turning out to be another failure and its no surprise as the game is and always will be a hardcore gankfest and most people don't want to pay monthly fees for that crap anymore.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Lose subscriptions > Move to Free To Play > Try to sell the company before declaring bankrupt.

Now... where did I see this happen before?
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Eve turns into EAve

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Lose subscriptions > Move to Free To Play > Try to sell the company before declaring bankrupt.

What do you have in mind? SOE? Or was there actually a company with a functioning mmo that went bankrupt?  
    edited December 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:

That's not true at all. The issue isn't with their management of resources, but their decline in subscriptions. At it's peak EVE was at around 500k subscribers and, now, it's estimated that half that or less. They attempted to diversify their portfolio with no success, you're right, but that wasn't the nail in the coffin, inevitability was.
    If they had of stuck with Eve they would have a steady income of tens of millions of dollars a year. They decide to do too many projects at once.

They ended up having to scrap most of those projects. The ones they did finish were complete failures.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    EVE has lost any course many years ago, this is would be no surprise....
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I was thinking the same thing.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited December 2016
    Atlan99 said:
    If they had of stuck with Eve they would have a steady income of tens of millions of dollars a year. They decide to do too many projects at once.

They ended up having to scrap most of those projects. The ones they did finish were complete failures.
    Nah, just lack of business sense on your end...

The game will lose subscribers and dies one day, that is pretty much inevitable. The most sensible thing to do with all the money you have made is to invest them into new project(s) rather than sink them back into EVE.
    edited December 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Atlan99 said:

Nah, just lack of business sense on your end...

The game will lose subscribers and dies one day, that is pretty much inevitable. The most sensible thing to do with all the money you have made is to invest them into new project(s) rather than sink them back into EVE.
    Well we saw where that got them didn't we?
    Atlan99 said:
    You mistake cause for consequence.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited December 2016
    No surprise. Lot of mistakes by the company. That said. Eve was destined to be niche. Could have been more but Dev's really focused on the stuff that really brings out the negatives in gamers. Hell the own dam community held the company hostage essentially if they didn't change course or to influence a decision more than once!

I loved the ship controls of the game and it's design as a whole. It lacked a good balance of content and to be frank. It always sucked to not be able to just let my guard down. Ever! I cannot state that enough. I personally never had issues with what people considered negatives. But I was always very vigilant. Only ever ganked once which was very early on. I lost a caracal and it was to my own stupidity of trusting someone. Big whoop. The communities mentality in general changed a lot from 04 to present. Seemed like with every big scam or new way to fuck someone over that made headlines. Every would-be tried to imitate it. Anyone saying that they wouldn't jump on the opportunity to profit off of someone else is full of B.S. The only consideration there is the gain threshold vs. the person in question. How much or what conditions would need to be met to screw over my buddy. Everyone has this threshold. Where the conditions might be stupidly high. But if met....

CCP proudly encouraged this sort of behavior and it just grew and grew until the community was actually able to hold CCP hostage. On their knees begging for mercy. Gold ammo being the biggest one I think. CCP had been using that game to fund their other ventures neglecting Eve. Playerbase got fed up. That article was the breaking point. CCP in short form changed course. Which in turn set the tone for large alliances to threaten CCP at times into a decision.

If a company is going to purchase CCP. How will they break the communities current mentality in Eve? change it's image? Bring in more people? Or would they buy CCP for other reasons?
    Gdemami said:
    Atlan99 said:
    You mistake cause for consequence.
    No. You think you know more about business than you actually do.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    This company has always confused me, they have just made odd decision after odd decision over the years, releasing dust for the PS, not committing to anything outside of EVE or that would truly expand EVE. Not expanding their revenue model when they knew they needed to, etc... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Eve-NGE
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I have always wondered on their operating costs.

For years they used to talk about how they were expanding their servers and updating them. It seemed that they would push the envelope a tiny bit every month or so trying to get those advertised "big" battles to work.

I think they finally got those to perform better...but i wonder at what cost? Years of higher and higher costs on equipment...i just wonder how much they really spend to have that seemingly seamless universe for their players. 

I bet people would be shocked at the operating costs. But that is just a guess.  Wonder what sub numbers they need to survive and make profits going forward?

I do hope they make it and keep going for years. I do not play any more and haven't for years...but can hope they continue on. 
    Atlan99 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm understanding. So are you saying that their development of these other side projects directly influenced (led to the decrease of) their subscriptions? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:

Ok, I'm not sure I'm understanding. So are you saying that their development of these other side projects directly influenced (led to the decrease of) their subscriptions? 
    No. Eve Online itself is very profitable. It makes millions of dollars per year. It was never the problem and it still isn't the problem.

The problem was CCP went heavily into debt to finance multiple projects at the same time. One project might have been fine. However their focus was spread across multiple projects, many of which never made it to market. 
    Atlan99 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Atlan99 said:

No. Eve Online itself is very profitable. It makes millions of dollars per year. It was never the problem and it still isn't the problem.

The problem was CCP went heavily into debt to finance multiple projects at the same time. One project might have been fine. However their focus was spread across multiple projects, many of which never made it to market. 

I don't see any of that. I know that they have seen EVE decline year-over-year since 2012. You can also find financial statements like this for 2015 and before, but they've gone dark on their financials and have stopped releasing the data as of last year. I thought maybe you had some additional insight because, from what I knew, they had a pretty good 2015 despite declining EVE revenues. When they went dark with their financials I figured that their subs fell off a cliff. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The real killer for CCP was the MMO they stopped during production mid way through and never released... millions and millions of dollars gone for no return.

Big companies can take those hits, small ones, not as much.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If this news is true, and I'm not entirely convinced it is, then I can see several reasons for it being true.

1)  World of Darknes - CCP threw a lot of money at this game, and it never even left pre-production much less an Alpha state according to insiders.  The managers never had a coherent idea of how they wanted the game to play, and developers stated they had to keep trashing their code entirely and starting over because the new ideas would be so radically different from what they had already written.

Not to mention they bought the entire company that makes World of Darkness games instead of just licensing the IP and then hired all of these book writers to help make the game.  So it had probably twice as many story artists as real, in-game asset developers.

2)  DUST 514 - CCP made one of their, now classic, decisions to severely limit the playerbase for their first foray into the shooter world by making it a Playstation exclusive.  I personally know a couple dozen people that play EVE who wanted to play it, but played other shooters instead because damned if they were buying a Playstation for one game.

Not only that, but they developed it for a console at the end of its lifespan.  Furthermore, if you're going to strike a deal to make an exclusive title, then it had better be something so good that people actually consider buying that system when it come out.  I don't plan on buying a Playstation, but The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn look so damn good, that I've considered it.  DUST, however, was just a mediocre game, not an exclusive barn-burner.

3)  Project Legion / Project Nova - Then CCP decided to throw good money after bad and re-write DUST 514 for all platforms.  This game has been in development for a couple of years now, changed names three times and has no release date whatsoever.  Before it even had any information about it, it went through an internal re-write just like World of Darkness.  

4)  Valkyrie - In another hair-brained move to tie one of their IP's to exclusive, and possibly dead in the water, technology, CCP decided to make Valkryie a VR only title.  Since VR hasn't been the smash hit Christmas shelf-clearer that many people were predicting, they're now stuck with a title that has dumped millions into development and big name voice acting, all to have a few dozen people playing it at any given time.  Valkyrie will fill the roster on either team with bots if not enough people are waiting for matches.  Reddit posts reveal that teams fill out with bots regularly, except for like an hour every night right at prime time.

So yet again CCP decides to scythe their massive potential playerbase off at the knees by forcing the game through VR channels.  How in the holy hell did they not develop this as a standard game with VR options? Who ties their next big title to a horse that might not even make it across the desert?  The business decisions at the highest levels of the company goddamn baffle the fuck out of me.

5)  Which brings me to another issue.  Cronyism.  CCP is one of the most racially homogeneous companies you can imagine at the management levels.  If you aren't Icelandic, then you don't become a manager, and in the rare case that you do make it to management as a foreigner, then you're shut out of any decisions involving the future of the company.  I get the information from people that I played EVE with in 2005, who left playing the game to develop the game.  They state privately that non-Icelanders are second  class citizens within the company.

This is not something that I have a problem with at a base level to be honest.  I'm not a flag waving diversity forcing millennial.  However, when it's clear that the management isn't cutting the mustard and you can't find managers within your own country who can actually ship a goddamn successful fucking product, then you start looking for good managers no matter where they come from.  I would tell them to shape the fuck up and make a winning product, or they can go back to welding ships together in the shipyards while we get real, dedicated and visionary management from outside the company.