Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why are they charging $5 a month to post on public forum?

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited December 2016
    LIOKI said:
    What a bunch of elitist's comments in here. Charging a fee to use a forum comes off as brash. I don't know much about the game....isn't there a patron section of the forum that backers/founders/suckers/whatever can post in separate from a public forum? That would make sense.
    hercules said:
    [mod edit]
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/community/

Quite clearly says public forum so nothing private about it
    marketing is vital for any mmorpg esp. one with a niche audience.
    if you have a forum which only people pay can access be rest assured many will lose interest .
    i  and my brother are big EQ fans so clearly have interest in this game and bought and played vanguard as well.
    Both of us find it a bit fishy charging for a public forum .wonder how many ex EQ fans like us are troubled by this.
    i be waiting for reviews post launch tbh before pledging my money based on this

Not sure fans like you are selling the game well

They are a private company NOT a pubic company.  The term "public" on forums refers to the fact you may be able to view the forums but as a PRIVATE COMPANY they have the right to set rules like almost every other Mmorpg has...in order to post you have to pay.  This is nothing new...are you new to mmorpgs? 
    I've never had to pay to post in any mmorpg forum ever. wtf are you on about?
    Go over to the WoW forums good luck posting without paying for a sub...swtor forums yep have fun posting without paying.  It's common in mmorpg which is what the forum he is talking about is. 

"Public" refers to the ability to view them, and yes in most forums post for free but you are still under the rules of the private company that runs the forums. 

Reddit is a "public"forum but much of the content is moderated to death.  If it were a true "public" forum free speech would be allowed it's clearly not. Same with this site at anytime they could change their mind and say hey we are getting rid of ads and charging $1/month to post why? Because these are private forums run by a private company. 

er you can post on WoW and EQ forum without having a sub by the way .Not sure what you mean by that.
    you can make an account for free (up to level 20 if i recall) and post on the forum .not sure if any part restricted ie the test feedback but you can on the main  section for sure
    EQ/EQ2 forum for sure you can without a sub as just did recently and have no active sub neither
    so not sure what this common thing you speak about.some might do it but i am sure most are finished and release products.
    but to each their own i guess.
    there been enough money grabbing going around for uncompleted projects i just wait for the final product review as this puts me off investing in them .

Post edited by Vaross on
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Albatroes said:
    Can't post on SE's forums without having a subscription...SWTOR same thing. Honestly, its pretty common.
    I get what you're saying, but you also get access to their games if you have access to their forums.  Not exactly the same thing here.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited December 2016
    hercules said:
    LIOKI said:
    What a bunch of elitist's comments in here. Charging a fee to use a forum comes off as brash. I don't know much about the game....isn't there a patron section of the forum that backers/founders/suckers/whatever can post in separate from a public forum? That would make sense.
    hercules said:
    To be a deterrent for people like you who clearly just want to complain. 

It's not a "public" forum it's a private forum. 
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/community/

Quite clearly says public forum so nothing private about it
    marketing is vital for any mmorpg esp. one with a niche audience.
    if you have a forum which only people pay can access be rest assured many will lose interest .
    i  and my brother are big EQ fans so clearly have interest in this game and bought and played vanguard as well.
    Both of us find it a bit fishy charging for a public forum .wonder how many ex EQ fans like us are troubled by this.
    i be waiting for reviews post launch tbh before pledging my money based on this

Not sure fans like you are selling the game well

They are a private company NOT a pubic company.  The term "public" on forums refers to the fact you may be able to view the forums but as a PRIVATE COMPANY they have the right to set rules like almost every other Mmorpg has...in order to post you have to pay.  This is nothing new...are you new to mmorpgs? 
    I've never had to pay to post in any mmorpg forum ever. wtf are you on about?
    Go over to the WoW forums good luck posting without paying for a sub...swtor forums yep have fun posting without paying.  It's common in mmorpg which is what the forum he is talking about is. 

"Public" refers to the ability to view them, and yes in most forums post for free but you are still under the rules of the private company that runs the forums. 

Reddit is a "public"forum but much of the content is moderated to death.  If it were a true "public" forum free speech would be allowed it's clearly not. Same with this site at anytime they could change their mind and say hey we are getting rid of ads and charging $1/month to post why? Because these are private forums run by a private company. 

er you can post on WoW and EQ forum without having a sub by the way .Not sure what you mean by that.
    you can make an account for free (up to level 20 if i recall) and post on the forum .not sure if any part restricted ie the test feedback but you can on the main  section for sure
    EQ/EQ2 forum for sure you can without a sub as just did recently and have no active sub neither
    so not sure what this common thing you speak about.some might do it but i am sure most are finished and release products.
    but to each their own i guess.
    there been enough money grabbing going around for uncompleted projects i just wait for the final product review as this puts me off investing in them .

I didn't say anything about EQ and not sure if you are correct.  But no you can't post in the forums with a free account in WoW...you can't even use general chat ingame with a free account.  Only /say, /whisper and /party
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm usually an understanding kinda guy and pro developer, but to me this seems a bit much.   If it's to keep the riff raff, then I can go with it.  However, if it's just for the money, I think it's over the top.
    It's definitely not for the money. They actually tried opening it, and as one poster said, those with an axe to grind descended with shitposting and drowned out the productive discussions.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    To answer this simply, it is a development forum, not your typical public gaming forum, we use the subscriptions and pledges to help fund development and it also acts as a deterrent to spam attacks, spam advertising and hostile anonymous people who are not interested in our game or company but just want to cause drama and incite unrest, our community is important to us and we don't have time for people like that, so we stop them and I must say, it works very well and helps us out a lot with support from those who are serious about supporting us.

We value our supporters a lot and use their feedback to help create the game, we still get criticism and negative feedback, which is important to us but it is in a more controlled environment.

We allow many open and free forms of communication, we have official Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Reddit accounts that we monitor, interact and engage with often, we just reserve our official forums to be a more controlled environment for dedicated members and developers to communicate and have a bit more interaction. :)

Our official forums are, however, free to read with or without an account, for the most part, there are two subforums which are restricted for higher pledge levels but they are secret and I can't leak what goes on in there ;), you just need to subscribe monthly or purchase a pledge for unlimited access to post on the forums if you prefer them over the other official platforms.

When the game fully launches we will most likely revise this and revert to a typical game forum but that is still being discussed.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kilsin said:
    To answer this simply, it is a development forum, not your typical public gaming forum, we use the subscriptions and pledges to help fund development and it also acts as a deterrent to spam attacks, spam advertising and hostile anonymous people who are not interested in our game or company but just want to cause drama and incite unrest, our community is important to us and we don't have time for people like that, so we stop them and I must say, it works very well and helps us out a lot with support from those who are serious about supporting us.

We value our supporters a lot and use their feedback to help create the game, we still get criticism and negative feedback, which is important to us but it is in a more controlled environment.

We allow many open and free forms of communication, we have official Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Reddit accounts that we monitor, interact and engage with often, we just reserve our official forums to be a more controlled environment for dedicated members and developers to communicate and have a bit more interaction. :)

Our official forums are, however, free to read with or without an account, for the most part, there are two subforums which are restricted for higher pledge levels but they are secret and I can't leak what goes on in there ;), you just need to subscribe monthly or purchase a pledge for unlimited access to post on the forums if you prefer them over the other official platforms.

When the game fully launches we will most likely revise this and revert to a typical game forum but that is still being discussed.
    Fair Enough and smart IMO
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Dullahan said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm usually an understanding kinda guy and pro developer, but to me this seems a bit much.   If it's to keep the riff raff, then I can go with it.  However, if it's just for the money, I think it's over the top.
    It's definitely not for the money. They actually tried opening it, and as one poster said, those with an axe to grind descended with shitposting and drowned out the productive discussions.
    In which case good on em.  It's one of the benefits of subscription games.  It keeps out a certain amount of those kinda people.  it's not a foolproof method, but if it keeps only 10 - 15% of trouble makers, it's a bonus.  press on, I say.

I self identify as a monkey.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    I can actually agree with this till the game is launched.  After launch the forum should be made available to everyone with portions still closed to people that don't own the game though.  The only people that will most likely pay the money is people that actually want the game to be made.  Why would developers want people who most likely are just there to troll and cause issues to have access?  I mean 5 dollars is nothing and if it is you shouldn't even be playing games because you have other real world issues to deal with.

A better question is why do people feel so entitled today?  Why do they feel that they should have access to everything with giving anything?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If a lot of people wanted to pay me $5/month for access to post on a forum I made, I'd take their money, too.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I wasn't aware of this.  I have gone and browsed their forums a few times when I was bored but never created a forum account and tried to post. 

It seems kind of funny to me.  Only people who have already drank the koolaid can post.  Of course their comments are going to be overwhelmingly positive and fawning.  Apparently the devs of pantheon only want to hear from sycophantic yes-men. 

The emperor has no clothes?  I guess in this case he'll never know because only people who like looking at his hairy arse are allowed to talk.

If you feel so strongly that your opinion is required to "enlighten the koolaid-drinkers", then I'm sure you'd be happy to pay $5 for the opportunity to perform a valuable public service ! :D

However, I suspect the $5 charge exists largely to avoid random destructive criticism and the general negativity that's so popular in most open gaming forums.

I didn't have the motivation to sign up on their forums even before I knew it cost money to post so, no, I don't think I'm going to be doing it now.

To be fair I do get the argument about keeping out spam and people being negative just for kicks.  But on the other hand I still think it seems unwise for the devs to only listen to hardcore fanboys.  I have held a belief that they are going to go over a cliff with the "endgame" and learning about this setup only reinforces that belief.  A setup like this, while ensuring a more positive environment, also will have the effect of filtering out the more moderate and sane voices.  While they are steering towards that cliff all they are going to hear are shouts of encouragement....all very positive and friendly of course, but that might not be terribly helpful.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I wasn't aware of this.  I have gone and browsed their forums a few times when I was bored but never created a forum account and tried to post. 

It seems kind of funny to me.  Only people who have already drank the koolaid can post.  Of course their comments are going to be overwhelmingly positive and fawning.  Apparently the devs of pantheon only want to hear from sycophantic yes-men. 

The emperor has no clothes?  I guess in this case he'll never know because only people who like looking at his hairy arse are allowed to talk.

If you feel so strongly that your opinion is required to "enlighten the koolaid-drinkers", then I'm sure you'd be happy to pay $5 for the opportunity to perform a valuable public service ! :D

However, I suspect the $5 charge exists largely to avoid random destructive criticism and the general negativity that's so popular in most open gaming forums.

I didn't have the motivation to sign up on their forums even before I knew it cost money to post so, no, I don't think I'm going to be doing it now.

To be fair I do get the argument about keeping out spam and people being negative just for kicks.  But on the other hand I still think it seems unwise for the devs to only listen to hardcore fanboys.  I have held a belief that they are going to go over a cliff with the "endgame" and learning about this setup only reinforces that belief.  A setup like this, while ensuring a more positive environment, also will have the effect of filtering out the more moderate and sane voices.  While they are steering towards that cliff all they are going to hear are shouts of encouragement....all very positive and friendly of course, but that might not be terribly helpful.

Brad and his team regularly read and post on other open forums such as reddit, and here. So they're not just creating a group of sycophants.  There is something to be said for people who are willing to monetarily support the project to have their own place to talk free of trolls and people who have nothing better to do than crap on everything they don't like.

It's not like all discussion of the game exists in a vacuum only on the official forums.  How about we give the developers more credit for not being idiots and assholes?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You are missing the point, they are building this game for the people who largely agree with their vision.

They dont care much what the masses think or want.

CCP pretty much runs EVE this way, has mostly worked for them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    hercules said:
    ok would have asked them if i could but since free registration cannot post asking here
    i registered a while ago when game was new but forgot my access(was free registration also) so did it again
    then i noticed you cannot post at all.checked and you can if you pay $5 a month for a game which is not even beta yet.heck even the basic pledge does not give you beta but it gives you access to post on forum.
    Surely ,this appears greedy to deny people without paying access to a message board ?
    I thought this was dumb too. Totally turned me off from the game; even if they only did it to keep trolls out.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see the same thing on twitch,greedy disrespectful streamers ONLY allow those who PAY THEM money to speak in their chat.
    How soon they forget that it was all those free watchers that made them famous,got them notoriety.How soon they forget that it was just fun to game and have an audience,now it is "subscribe" or Donate in your face and it is annoying as hell to see.

This is a huge blemish on gaming,everywhere you look it is about making money,the FUN reason to game has long passed us by.

it is also NOT about what their right is,everyone knows what the rights of a website /forum is,we DON'T care what your rights are.Gamer's care about gaming,you want to advertise to us,you want us to buy your product but want to silence us at the same time,have your cake and eat it to?Pfft lame ass developers if you ask me.
    Know why this is becoming more popular,it is about making money and to do that you need a totally biased crowd as well lots of ass kissing,praise,lots of people to agree with what you are doing.I say IGNORE those developers,let them have their 1500 naive spenders,we can go play somewhere else where gamer's are more respected on an even keel.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I bet all they do is create the VIP room so those people that give more money feel special but in reality,they couldn't care less what they have to say.Or they pop in once a blue moon to PRETEND they are listening ..lmao.
    This game isn't even doing anything,it is a bare bones game right now,a character and the ability to do damage,wtf is that ,ANY game engine can pre load that,we don't call game engines a GAME.
    Now to be fair,looking at it from THEIR side,if i was getting FREE money,the only people i would care about are those giving me the money.

So people SHOULD take it just as it is,they DO NOT care about anyone that does not give them money,they figure they can sucker in tons more buyers later on with marketing and advertising.

It is just like for example a NIKE shoe,you think they ask you how to design it?NOPE all they do is slap LeBron James signature on it and you'll buy it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Kyleran said:

You are missing the point, they are building this game for the people who largely agree with their vision.

They do care, just not to the extent that someone like blizzard would care.  They're being open about creating a specific product for a specific type of playstyle. However they are working hard to show people who may not be interested that it might actually be something they would like, or want to play, etc.  There's a lot of people out there, that have never played a group focused mmo that has real class interdependency.  They don't know if they might actually enjoy that.  Personally I think they would.  A lot of us were in our teens or early 20's when we played EQ and games like it, and that's what drew us in, was the world, the relationships, friendships, etc.

Anyways, as you said, It can very easily be successful, it may not be WoW level billions of dollars successful, but it can make a profit, pay the employees, and keep the company developing new content, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Wizardry said:
    I bet all they do is create the VIP room so those people that give more money feel special but in reality,they couldn't care less what they have to say.Or they pop in once a blue moon to PRETEND they are listening ..lmao.
    This game isn't even doing anything,it is a bare bones game right now,a character and the ability to do damage,wtf is that ,ANY game engine can pre load that,we don't call game engines a GAME.
    Now to be fair,looking at it from THEIR side,if i was getting FREE money,the only people i would care about are those giving me the money.

So people SHOULD take it just as it is,they DO NOT care about anyone that does not give them money,they figure they can sucker in tons more buyers later on with marketing and advertising.

It is just like for example a NIKE shoe,you think they ask you how to design it?NOPE all they do is slap LeBron James signature on it and you'll buy it.

Why do you feel the need to expend so much time and energy shitting on things? Seriously? We all know you hate this game and what it stands for, we don't need multiple weekly reminders of your opinion on the subject.  Why not do something positive and go post in forums for games you actually like?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Hrimnir said:
    Kyleran said:

They do care, just not to the extent that someone like blizzard would care.  They're being open about creating a specific product for a specific type of playstyle. However they are working hard to show people who may not be interested that it might actually be something they would like, or want to play, etc.  There's a lot of people out there, that have never played a group focused mmo that has real class interdependency.  They don't know if they might actually enjoy that.  Personally I think they would.  A lot of us were in our teens or early 20's when we played EQ and games like it, and that's what drew us in, was the world, the relationships, friendships, etc.

Anyways, as you said, It can very easily be successful, it may not be WoW level billions of dollars successful, but it can make a profit, pay the employees, and keep the company developing new content, etc.

whippersnapper, i got hemorrhoids that were in there teens or early 20s when i played EQ
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Not only do the developers post here and other forums, but those who've subscribed come from the entire MMO spectrum. Actually, some of the loudest voices are those crying to do away with all things EverQuest and almost entirely casualize Pantheon. So the assertion that it's just an echo chamber is totally ignorant.

It's free to read Pantheon's forums, so perhaps some might consider doing so before forming strong opinions on the community and how narrow-minded they are.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    its fair enough.
    I do agree the developers do post here which i think is nice
    Its a decision they made and clearly will stick to.
    It might work out great for them or might be a disaster
    Time will tell.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Hrimnir said:
    Wizardry said:

Why do you feel the need to expend so much time and energy shitting on things? Seriously? We all know you hate this game and what it stands for, we don't need multiple weekly reminders of your opinion on the subject.  Why not do something positive and go post in forums for games you actually like?
    He does this to a lot of games and subjects  not really sure he can be positive.  
  • dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited December 2016
    Wizardry said:

Exhibit - A

The forums should stay pay to post.

I rest my case. 

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited December 2016

They do read the forums posts on other sites, including this one.

They are not shielding themselves from input from the larger public, they simply choose to restrict input on their forums to people invested in the game.  The larger public can, and does, discuss the game on sites like this one and the Pantheon mods do monitor the input on sites like this one.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    So, it's free to view.  Fine.  But viewing can generate a response, and they want a monthly fee for that privilege.  That takes the forum based conversation to more of a sermon.  I don't have enough time to waste on their forum, especially if they ask me to pay them to participate.  No thanks.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Sovrath said:
    I suppose the way to look at it is that they need to raise money and the people who are giving the $5 per month are donating money to help the development. With that help they are given a place where they can discuss the game.

So the forum isn't for players, the forum is for patrons.
    Thats how i saw it when i read about it. 
    If i was going to have a forum for my game then i would rather have it filled with posts from people who have some vested interest in the game and didnt just make a free account to troll everyone.