Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been 11 years since I last played an MMO for more than a few days...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
2005 NGE of SWG was the final nail for me, I didn't like changes to WoW already by that point and so I quit that. I played EVE since 2003, I didn't like changes to that either, I've tried to go back since but it's too populated now for me to care.... PVP just isn't the same with so many people. I last played EQ with PoP, I last played PS when BFRs ruined it, EQ2 had an amazing beta, SOE said they were launching in 2 weeks, the forums went crazy saying "it's too early" and they launched it to it's death any ways....

Then there were several years of boring WoW clones to ignore, all missing the mark on what made WoW good in the first place. 

Now I have people calling games like Destiny an MMO and the whole genre being pretty much killed off by this new wave of miss identity. Kids don't even get the concept of the MMO any more, the seamless world with thousands of people being in one place. Now GTA V is an MMO to them.....

Constantly however I've had people telling me "maybe you're bored of the genre" or some BS like that. However Nostalrius came out the other year, I played it for a few months until it got shut down with my friend and we had a blast. It brought back why I loved MMOs, it had all the amazing world PVP of when WoW originally launched and funny enough it had challenge again. I know WoW was considered easy mode back in 2004, but my god how far we've fallen since for Vanilla WoW to feel hard to me now.

I remember playing SWG back in 2003 and saying "if this is possible now, then in 10 years I cannot imagine how complex MMOs will be".... well it turned out SWG was the peak when it comes to simulation, mechanics and ideas, nothing would ever come close to what that game tried to achieve, I forgive it for it's sub 20FPS I used to have to play it in lol.

So sad that I barely even come to this site to check any more :/ I finally lost hope. I think the biggest blow was the death of SOE, even if they ruined every one of their MMOs, they never listened to their community and hadn't made anything of any worth since EQ2.... I still had hope. They made SWG, EQ and PS, they were the genre back in the day, they had that vision that I had for it. PS2 despite being crap, they tried to actually make PS again and make it bigger than ever. I hated the direction they took with it, but still it gave me hope for EQN... sadly they died and who is left? Blizzard have said they're pretty much out and despite a load of Asian Devs making their crap, there is no one now, DAOC devs are gone, Bioware wont make another MMO and we wont see Fallout online after the ESO flop....

The genre is dead, Destiny is the future and I'm out!

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The genre is far from dead. Sounds like it just isn't for you anymore.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Forgrimm said:
    No the genre is just for simpletons now.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    wyldmagik said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Well then why would you want to come cry to all us simpletons ...There must be a much better equipped help group to deal with your problems , than all us dum dums
    wyldmagik said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Because video games are the apex of intellectual superiority...
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Oh gosh...the it use to better then.

Appreciated the classics,  but you know that old ass fucking Camaro is just not worth it anymore, taking too much time and money. I'll just upgrade to a new modernized version of it.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Getting really tired of hearing "the genre just isn't for you anymore" when it's almost always total bull. All there's been is wow clones and the devs don't bother to listen. Its not hatred of the genre, it's hatred of the copies of the same games with a gimmick and different graphics. 
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    There could be some serious money made off these sad bitter old vets.  Open up a group like AA for these guys charge $15/month so they be with other grown adults who haven't been able to move on from a video game!!  
    Moirae said:
    Getting really tired of hearing "the genre just isn't for you anymore" when it's almost always total bull. All there's been is wow clones and the devs don't bother to listen. Its not hatred of the genre, it's hatred of the copies of the same games with a gimmick and different graphics. 
    If he hasn't found an mmo to play for more than a few days, for the last 11 years, then the genre isn't for him.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    There could be some serious money made off these sad bitter old vets.  Open up a group like AA for these guys charge $15/month so they be with other grown adults who haven't been able to move on from a video game!!  
    Gosh no, it's already been done and continues with every other new sandbox mmo with some BS death penalty. Because these folks want to live in fear, but what they fear most is RNG!

"This is the one guys" "Fuck wasted $50"
    "This is the one guys" "Fuck wasted another $50"
    "This is the one guys" "#$# &%$@ $50"
    "Why don't these devs listen to me?" "Cause I am the ONE, to bring everyone together and make MMORPG Great Again!"

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Moirae said:

Maybe the genre wasn't for you to begin with is better?!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited December 2016
    Delete 
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited December 2016
    He's not a vet. The genre has been around long enough that 11 years is no longer "vet". 

Middle-aged in the MMO genre and probably going though his mid-life crisis. Meh.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Time to get a new hobby.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Moirae said:
    You do have a point, but things are slightly better since there are a few smaller games that aren't Wow copies. Even ESO, GW2 and FF XIV are not exact Wow clones, like them or not. 

5 years ago I would have just agreed with you, but now I see some potential for the future. Keep yourself updated on Pantheon, Shards and Camelot Unchained, they are trying different things and I hope one of them will be spot on. Not that I am holding my breath or anything...
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Have to agree.When i played SWG back in 2003 i was amazed how much you got drawn into the world and your character became so important to you
    it was a complex almost breathing world where everyone interacted
    mmorpg have certainly gone a wrong way since then
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    "Been 11 years since I last played an MMO for more than a few days..."

"Nostalrius came out the other year, I played it for a few months until it got shut down with my friend and we had a blast."

Something doesn't add up, here...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    As much as I enjoyed Ultima Online and Everquest you are probably better off spending your time no something else.  It was a more enjoyable time to play IMO.  People were a lot more passionate and immature people ruled the scene (immaturity is actually a boon when it comes to fun and imagination despite what parents tell their kids or kids tell their parents/).  None the less those games were very life consuming.  You would spend all day playing them and neglect taking care of yourself.  For this privilege you paid the company a monthly fee.  I can see why parents don't want their kids to be playing these types of games.  Regardless it was still a lot of fun for a while.  
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    "Been 11 years since I last played an MMO for more than a few days..."

"Nostalrius came out the other year, I played it for a few months until it got shut down with my friend and we had a blast."

Something doesn't add up, here...
    LOL for catching that. gg :-)

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Gosh no, it's already been done and continues with every other new sandbox mmo with some BS death penalty. Because these folks want to live in fear, but what they fear most is RNG!

"This is the one guys" "Fuck wasted $50"
    "This is the one guys" "Fuck wasted another $50"
    "This is the one guys" "#$# &%$@ $50"
    "Why don't these devs listen to me?" "Cause I am the ONE, to bring everyone together and make MMORPG Great Again!"

Even worse when you were the guy dumb enough to pre-order the CE.  I'll be forever gunshy on pulling the trigger on anything above a standard edition after the last few years of feeling burned.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The genre most certainly is dead in the mud right now.Just because people are more willing to spend money on any piece of crap does not make the games good.
    No it is not crap compared to old school because of course we have way more technology,better processors etc etc.However when scaled back versus  old school games were are getting a piss poor effort from devs.

Trying to think of an analogy...

it is like devs back then could give us a Cadillac and they came close to giving us just that.Now devs give us a toned down Cadillac but SHOULD be giving us Lambourghini's and race cars.Then you figure in devs are NOT building these lazy ass versions,WE ARE,they are asking us for the money lmao and guess what,pile of idiots are stupid enough to give them the money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited December 2016
    Of course if you didn't like the games back or you didn't like the idea of sit in one spot and fight the same mobs for hours (Axe would call that little gameplay and I would generally agree) then you would call them a Yugo, whereas today's games would be closer to the cadillac.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Forgrimm said:
    Moirae said:
    If he hasn't found an mmo to play for more than a few days, for the last 11 years, then the genre isn't for him.
    Short answer... bull. He's not the only one with that problem. Alot of people like MMO's. It's why they continue to go back to the old ones like WoW, EQ, and EQ2. It's why they talk about how great Asheron's call is. No one says the same or has such great love for the new games. And there's good reason why. And it's not "because the genre just isn't for you". Think about it. 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited December 2016
    That argument still doesn't hold up. If he hasn't found a good game to play in 11 years, including those old ones, then the genre isn't for him. Maybe he changed, maybe it changed, maybe both. Either way none of the genre offerings tickle his fancy, therefore the genre currently is not for him. Maybe it will be in the future but it is not currently.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ragemeterragemeter Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I remember playing SWG back in 2003 and saying "if this is possible now, then in 10 years I cannot imagine how complex MMOs will be"
    Ohh SWG... I miss you so much  :( 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Congratulations on your achievement. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/