Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Introducing Homestead – Housing Comes to Tamriel in 2017 - MMORPG.com

2

Comments

  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    "You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though." Gina Bruno, Community Manager"

    I'm not even playing ESO, but i like this alot.

    image
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

    Torval said:


    Sovrath said:



    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.


    How so?

    There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.


    On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

    From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

    Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.



    Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.
    EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    syriinx said:

    Torval said:


    Sovrath said:



    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.


    How so?

    There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.


    On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

    From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

    Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.



    Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.
    EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.
    Do they have yards by now? I mean it would have been nice to have a court yard, maybe plant a farm even.

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,066
    Even EQ2 housing is mostly for decorating. Being able to sell from your house is nice , but apart from that I never had a reason to use it. Also not for crafting. Having to load the instance to craft was just annoying. Back when I played you could not access the bank from inside your house, so it was just not practical to craft inside your house. The guildhouses were cool though.

    I am only interested in creating a cool house if I have any use for it apart from decoration. Most MMO housing systems never get that far. Maybe that mentioned farming update for ESO in the future will help with that.

    My SWG house was my lab, my storage, my shop. Placed in a player city with crafting buff and cantina where entertainers resided to get that buff. Together it let me craft top items. This is what housing should be about. Functional, so it actually becomes part of the world and not just a little side game.

  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 814


    Even EQ2 housing is mostly for decorating. Being able to sell from your house is nice , but apart from that I never had a reason to use it. Also not for crafting. Having to load the instance to craft was just annoying. Back when I played you could not access the bank from inside your house, so it was just not practical to craft inside your house. The guildhouses were cool though.



    I am only interested in creating a cool house if I have any use for it apart from decoration. Most MMO housing systems never get that far. Maybe that mentioned farming update for ESO in the future will help with that.



    My SWG house was my lab, my storage, my shop. Placed in a player city with crafting buff and cantina where entertainers resided to get that buff. Together it let me craft top items. This is what housing should be about. Functional, so it actually becomes part of the world and not just a little side game.






    I agree with you and I think once the base system is in, more functionality will be added. You will already be able to add crafting stations, target dummy's, personal assistants, and gardening on the way.

    They have to do it in a way that they don't kill the cities and commerce there. Right now all the ESO cities are alive with players. We don't want them to go overboard and then everyone stands around in their own instance and the world is empty. (SWTOR Ships/Housing, WOW Garrisons, etc)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016

    Sovrath said:


    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.


    How so?

    There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.

    Have to agree with @Sovrath. It is starting out with some functionality as well as cosmetic stuff and - according to Rich - there is more planned.
    And as previously indicated a free extension to the base game - which did surprise me - not even a 500 crown DLC that they could subsequently include in a Platinum ESO edition. (Are they missing a trick here?)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    edited December 2016
    gervaise1 said:

    Sovrath said:


    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.


    How so?

    There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.



    Have to agree with @Sovrath. It is starting out with some functionality with - according to Rich - more to come.

    And as previously indicated a free extension to the base game - which did surprise me - not even a 500 crown DLC that they could subsequently include in a Platinum ESO edition. (Are they missing a trick here?)
    I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that they chose to do housing as a base game update instead of DLC. Kudos to them for leaving some easy money behind when we all expected it to be a paid extra.

    They'll still make lots of money from it though since most of the houses can be bought with in-game gold or crowns. Depending on the crown cost I'll definitely be leaning toward using all those crowns I got from subbing instead of gold for mine.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

    SEANMCAD said:


    syriinx said:



    Torval said:




    Sovrath said:






    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.




    How so?

    There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.




    On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

    From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

    Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.






    Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.

    EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.


    Do they have yards by now? I mean it would have been nice to have a court yard, maybe plant a farm even.



    They have prestige housing, which is essentially a zone. For example they have part of the Isle of refuge as a personal housing zone as a vet reward.

    You cant actually farm, EQ2 housing is designed to be aesthetic only (although some kind of gardening mini game would be cool)

    I'm in the mindset housing should be mostly aesthetic (storage, a vendor to sell your goods, crafting stations fine too...EQ2 has this stuff too)
  • Pirotess-QCPirotess-QC Member CommonPosts: 1
    EQ2 housing as 2016 is much more advanced than at launch in... 2004! Now you have outside maps where you have building blocks and can literally build whatever you want. I took an island and built a huge castle! There is thousands and thousands of house items and blocks available in game from quests, craftings, events and marketplace.

    It's also the only game where you have so many "rare" items that you can only get 1 one way, so like someone said before, you can make a trophies room where all the stuff you've accomplished in game can be exposed.

    The system is so open, you can really be creative. I've seen people take a manor and turn it into a spaceship and you dont see anything from the original manor!
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150

    I personally am excited about this. It seems like the single player ES housing system, and I am assuming it will have a somewhat dumbed down item placement system. (Seeing those books meticulously placed on shelves in single player... oh, my, gosh...)

    Considering I will be coming in shortly, for the first time, it will be cool to get a couple months experiencing the game and then when I've got enough resources for a house and furnishings, BAM that free expansion will come out!

    Currently Playing:

    Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

    Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

    "Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    You can bet your ass I'll buy the swankiest house I can!

    Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

    My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

  • TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433

    josko9 said:



    TheAmir said:


    Hm, they add this, I may actually have to check this game out again - if I can get past the tiny zones and linear questing system.






    Haha what? I'm yet to see bigger zones or better questing system than in ESO. Not sure if a troll or just a hater.




    Not sure if ESO is the only MMO you have played, the questing is your typical themepark system.


    Not sure if you are troll or a blind follower.
    Yeah - I'm guessing he's never played many MMOs - especially not the older ones with zones that would take more than a measly 10 minutes to run/ride across.

    image
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    You can bet your ass I'll buy the swankiest house I can!
    I'm thinking Island :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,608
    Iselin said:
    You can bet your ass I'll buy the swankiest house I can!
    I'm thinking Island :)
    Me too! Me too!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    You can bet your ass I'll buy the swankiest house I can!
    I'm thinking Island :)
    Me too! Me too!
    Which, I believe, is this one accessed by a bridge off the SE corner of Port Hunding in Stros M'kai:




    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,949
    That looks so bad ass.

    There is so much you can do with this and so many social possibilities too.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member UncommonPosts: 49
    A few additional details on the TESO site:
    - Rich chimed in to a thread following the Gina Bruno comment about storage chests being decorative only. He stated that getting around 2000 items into the system was a start point and that this (storage) is being looked at.
    - Placement is freeform, not on LoTRO style hooks (original housing system)
    - Crafting tables are available and with assistants, this will allow fencing and limited banking
    - Retroactive award of trophy's for achievements that can be displayed in the home
    - Other quests (new?) that will grant housing use items
    - Crafters can make and trade/sell items for homes
    - Houses available unfurnished or furnished (with crowns)
    - Training dummies will have 'in the millions' HP to allow build testing
  • Elysion28Elysion28 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    So can we break in into someone house and rob it?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So this is instanced right? How does it work?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,298
    Looks so cool right now. I plan on coming back to the game the exact day this comes out.



  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited December 2016
    TheAmir said:





    Not sure if ESO is the only MMO you have played, the questing is your typical themepark system.


    Not sure if you are troll or a blind follower.
    Yeah - I'm guessing he's never played many MMOs - especially not the older ones with zones that would take more than a measly 10 minutes to run/ride across.
    Yep all that bland terrain with sporadic mob placement and not much else, such a great gameplay feature....

    And yes Savage.. those older games had quests just like those you find in ESO... LMAO... 

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016
    So this is instanced right? How does it work?
    Well ESO uses (six) megaservers (one per platform per region) so it can't be unique plots with your house being "plot number 1,549,628"!

    So its instanced? It depends what you mean by "instanced".

    ESO's megaservers use what are called "phases" to split the population in an area based on population density. Old games split the population as well of course when you logged in and selected a server; ESO simply does this dynamically "on the fly".

    So if you go into an area (zone/district/whatever) you never see more than X people - so in a bank, say, you will only ever see a few dozen people even though there might be hundreds. It will be a trade off between server performance and making it "feel right".

    Housing will be no different - accept instead of a few dozen you might see in a bank or area it will be you + anyone on your visitor list.

    So houses will be "instanced" yes but it won't stand out as instanced - in the way that housing does in some games - since this is how the world works in ESO all the time.

    The caveat I will add - the key to them getting it right - is making sure you don't get hundreds of people at e.g. a door all entering a house at the same time. Having the houses and rooms dotted around the world will help with that. 
  • TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Distopia said:
    TheAmir said:





    Not sure if ESO is the only MMO you have played, the questing is your typical themepark system.


    Not sure if you are troll or a blind follower.
    Yeah - I'm guessing he's never played many MMOs - especially not the older ones with zones that would take more than a measly 10 minutes to run/ride across.
    Yep all that bland terrain with sporadic mob placement and not much else, such a great gameplay feature....

    And yes Savage.. those older games had quests just like those you find in ESO... LMAO... 
    Actually, while they did have quests, they weren't NEARLY as in your face hand-holding "HERE LET ME SHOW YOU. TOUCH THIS THING HERE, RUN BACK TO NPC 3 FEET AWAY." FFS that's not meaningful or interesting. At least the old games had some epic quests where you had to actually figure stuff out and go on a dangerous "journey". As for random mob placement - ESO has that, too. Packed into tiny, ugly zones designed to keep you right on the path, leading you by the hand from mundane, uninspired quest to quest. I'd rather ride/run around a huge zone just for the immersion (this is supposed to be MMO ROLEPLAYING GAME after all - especially one based on the ELDER SCROLL SERIES) and enjoyment than be railroaded down a linear path of boring.

    image
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,408
    Torval said:
    That looks so bad ass.

    There is so much you can do with this and so many social possibilities too.
    It now seems that this is the wrong "island retreat." That is the large Redguard house instead.

    Some people think that it'll be a instanced island we haven't seen yet. Something like Silatar, the island that Aranias made and you see in that quest in Greenshade.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

    "... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • H4lucinationH4lucination Member UncommonPosts: 18
    still pissed i bought it from a third party seller and didnt get the refund, such a bad game ;s
Sign In or Register to comment.