Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Introducing Homestead – Housing Comes to Tamriel in 2017 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Even EQ2 housing is mostly for decorating. Being able to sell from your house is nice , but apart from that I never had a reason to use it. Also not for crafting. Having to load the instance to craft was just annoying. Back when I played you could not access the bank from inside your house, so it was just not practical to craft inside your house. The guildhouses were cool though.

I am only interested in creating a cool house if I have any use for it apart from decoration. Most MMO housing systems never get that far. Maybe that mentioned farming update for ESO in the future will help with that.

My SWG house was my lab, my storage, my shop. Placed in a player city with crafting buff and cantina where entertainers resided to get that buff. Together it let me craft top items. This is what housing should be about. Functional, so it actually becomes part of the world and not just a little side game.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Even EQ2 housing is mostly for decorating. Being able to sell from your house is nice , but apart from that I never had a reason to use it. Also not for crafting. Having to load the instance to craft was just annoying. Back when I played you could not access the bank from inside your house, so it was just not practical to craft inside your house. The guildhouses were cool though.

I am only interested in creating a cool house if I have any use for it apart from decoration. Most MMO housing systems never get that far. Maybe that mentioned farming update for ESO in the future will help with that.

My SWG house was my lab, my storage, my shop. Placed in a player city with crafting buff and cantina where entertainers resided to get that buff. Together it let me craft top items. This is what housing should be about. Functional, so it actually becomes part of the world and not just a little side game.

I agree with you and I think once the base system is in, more functionality will be added. You will already be able to add crafting stations, target dummy's, personal assistants, and gardening on the way.

They have to do it in a way that they don't kill the cities and commerce there. Right now all the ESO cities are alive with players. We don't want them to go overboard and then everyone stands around in their own instance and the world is empty. (SWTOR Ships/Housing, WOW Garrisons, etc)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016

Sovrath said:

Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.

How so?

There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.

Have to agree with @Sovrath. It is starting out with some functionality as well as cosmetic stuff and - according to Rich - there is more planned.
    And as previously indicated a free extension to the base game - which did surprise me - not even a 500 crown DLC that they could subsequently include in a Platinum ESO edition. (Are they missing a trick here?)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2016
    gervaise1 said:

Sovrath said:

How so?

There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.

Have to agree with @Sovrath. It is starting out with some functionality with - according to Rich - more to come.

And as previously indicated a free extension to the base game - which did surprise me - not even a 500 crown DLC that they could subsequently include in a Platinum ESO edition. (Are they missing a trick here?)
    I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that they chose to do housing as a base game update instead of DLC. Kudos to them for leaving some easy money behind when we all expected it to be a paid extra.

They'll still make lots of money from it though since most of the houses can be bought with in-game gold or crowns. Depending on the crown cost I'll definitely be leaning toward using all those crowns I got from subbing instead of gold for mine.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

SEANMCAD said:

syriinx said:

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

How so?

On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.

Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.

EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.

Do they have yards by now? I mean it would have been nice to have a court yard, maybe plant a farm even.

They have prestige housing, which is essentially a zone. For example they have part of the Isle of refuge as a personal housing zone as a vet reward.

You cant actually farm, EQ2 housing is designed to be aesthetic only (although some kind of gardening mini game would be cool)

I'm in the mindset housing should be mostly aesthetic (storage, a vendor to sell your goods, crafting stations fine too...EQ2 has this stuff too)
  • Pirotess-QCPirotess-QC Member CommonPosts: 1
    EQ2 housing as 2016 is much more advanced than at launch in... 2004! Now you have outside maps where you have building blocks and can literally build whatever you want. I took an island and built a huge castle! There is thousands and thousands of house items and blocks available in game from quests, craftings, events and marketplace.

It's also the only game where you have so many "rare" items that you can only get 1 one way, so like someone said before, you can make a trophies room where all the stuff you've accomplished in game can be exposed.

The system is so open, you can really be creative. I've seen people take a manor and turn it into a spaceship and you dont see anything from the original manor!
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150

I personally am excited about this. It seems like the single player ES housing system, and I am assuming it will have a somewhat dumbed down item placement system. (Seeing those books meticulously placed on shelves in single player... oh, my, gosh...)

Considering I will be coming in shortly, for the first time, it will be cool to get a couple months experiencing the game and then when I've got enough resources for a house and furnishings, BAM that free expansion will come out!

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    You can bet your ass I'll buy the swankiest house I can!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

I'm thinking Island :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:
    Me too! Me too!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Me too! Me too!
    Which, I believe, is this one accessed by a bridge off the SE corner of Port Hunding in Stros M'kai:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member UncommonPosts: 49
    A few additional details on the TESO site:
    - Rich chimed in to a thread following the Gina Bruno comment about storage chests being decorative only. He stated that getting around 2000 items into the system was a start point and that this (storage) is being looked at.
    - Placement is freeform, not on LoTRO style hooks (original housing system)
    - Crafting tables are available and with assistants, this will allow fencing and limited banking
    - Retroactive award of trophy's for achievements that can be displayed in the home
    - Other quests (new?) that will grant housing use items
    - Crafters can make and trade/sell items for homes
    - Houses available unfurnished or furnished (with crowns)
    - Training dummies will have 'in the millions' HP to allow build testing
  • Elysion28Elysion28 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    So can we break in into someone house and rob it?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So this is instanced right? How does it work?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Looks so cool right now. I plan on coming back to the game the exact day this comes out.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2016
    TheAmir said:

Not sure if ESO is the only MMO you have played, the questing is your typical themepark system.

Not sure if you are troll or a blind follower.
    Yeah - I'm guessing he's never played many MMOs - especially not the older ones with zones that would take more than a measly 10 minutes to run/ride across.
    Yep all that bland terrain with sporadic mob placement and not much else, such a great gameplay feature....

And yes Savage.. those older games had quests just like those you find in ESO... LMAO... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited December 2016
    So this is instanced right? How does it work?
    Well ESO uses (six) megaservers (one per platform per region) so it can't be unique plots with your house being "plot number 1,549,628"!

So its instanced? It depends what you mean by "instanced".

ESO's megaservers use what are called "phases" to split the population in an area based on population density. Old games split the population as well of course when you logged in and selected a server; ESO simply does this dynamically "on the fly".

So if you go into an area (zone/district/whatever) you never see more than X people - so in a bank, say, you will only ever see a few dozen people even though there might be hundreds. It will be a trade off between server performance and making it "feel right".

Housing will be no different - accept instead of a few dozen you might see in a bank or area it will be you + anyone on your visitor list.

So houses will be "instanced" yes but it won't stand out as instanced - in the way that housing does in some games - since this is how the world works in ESO all the time.

The caveat I will add - the key to them getting it right - is making sure you don't get hundreds of people at e.g. a door all entering a house at the same time. Having the houses and rooms dotted around the world will help with that. 
    Torval said:
    That looks so bad ass.

There is so much you can do with this and so many social possibilities too.
    It now seems that this is the wrong "island retreat." That is the large Redguard house instead.

Some people think that it'll be a instanced island we haven't seen yet. Something like Silatar, the island that Aranias made and you see in that quest in Greenshade.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• H4lucinationH4lucination Member UncommonPosts: 18
    still pissed i bought it from a third party seller and didnt get the refund, such a bad game ;s
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Me too! Me too!
    Which, I believe, is this one accessed by a bridge off the SE corner of Port Hunding in Stros M'kai:

I dont like the Architecure of this one , Altho very well done , it doesnt appeal to me , Some of the others i saw i really liked tho .....But its great to see such diversity in the Design
    edited December 2016
    still pissed i bought it from a third party seller and didnt get the refund, such a bad game ;s
    Understandable you feel pissed but blaming the game?

There has been a list of authorised sellers for - I think - ever. Sadly companies can only do so much to combat dodgy sellers. Part of the price we pay for allowing distributors - and individuals - to sell products on. Free market economy - although it also exists in controlled economies as well. 

Should you ever get over it you can still pick up the basic (non gold) boxed edition on Amazon say for $13.99 - with Prime delivery if you have Prime as well. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited December 2016
    Looks great, especially as it's just the start and will expand over time.

I have to say, it's particularly gratifying to see how ESO continues to add and do things that a certain other themepark MMO doesn't, because its so-called """producer/director""" (triple quoting for emphasis there) insists it's either too difficult or not possible. ESO just keeps proving how he has no clue what he's talking about.

In this case, it's implementing a proper housing system that doesn't exclude *anyone* due to poor design, lack of foresight, and a repeated inability to fix the problem. Instead of having to throw temporary band-aids at the persistent problems of a fundamentally broken system, Zenimax have designed it properly from the beginning to avoid them altogether.

People in "that other game" have been asking for some kind of a free room/apt for literally years now. They even suggested making them instanced. The answer has been, effectively "we can't because it's too hard". Then, along comes ESO where, you do a simple quest and voila... free instanced starting apt. No one has to do without.

In "that other game", it's been nigh on impossible for players to get a house anywhere, much less where they want, because of how poorly its housing system was planned and implemented, so they're unable to fill demand, and people abuse it by buying them up and attempting to "flip" them for several times the cost. This has happened multiple times now. Meanwhile, in ESO... see a house in a location you like? No problem! Save up the in-game gold and it's yours. Want another one in another area? No problem! Save up the in-game gold, and it's yours.

ESO is just making "that other game's" "producer/director" look more and more incompetent over time, and it's glorious to witness.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

josko9 said:

TheAmir said:

Hm, they add this, I may actually have to check this game out again - if I can get past the tiny zones and linear questing system.

Haha what? I'm yet to see bigger zones or better questing system than in ESO. Not sure if a troll or just a hater.

It just looks like someone who haven't read about One Tamriel feature list to me.
  • CodeBluCodeBlu Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Nice one! Thumbs up for RL for granting player request only few gaming company listen to player requests. I haven't tried this one but now that you guys mentioned it I'll gladly give it a try. See you in-game.