Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Introducing Homestead – Housing Comes to Tamriel in 2017 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - Introducing Homestead – Housing Comes to Tamriel in 2017 - MMORPG.com

Housing is an often-requested feature in just about every MMORPG that launces without it. Elder Scrolls Online is no different. Since the game launched, housing has been one of Zenimax’s most-requested additions. In early 2017, Homestead will be the free Update that brings it to all Tamriel’s citizens. We caught up with the ZOS team to chat about all the many things you’ll get to do with your own private residence.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Glad Zenimax continues to expand ESO in a direction that most fans will find encouraging.
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Any word about storage in the houses?
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    For a game that isn't sandbox in any way, they're slowly getting there.
  • ElebethElebeth Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited December 2016

"Chests are just decorative; you won't be able to use them as an extension to your bank. You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though." Gina Bruno, Community Manager

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/307047/?_ga=1.77628242.712696298.1477651344
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Weak...
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Let me sell from my house with a merchant and I ll play it again.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Seems like kind of a half-hearted housing implementation.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    How so?

There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    TheAmir said:
    Hm, they add this, I may actually have to check this game out again - if I can get past the tiny zones and linear questing system.
    You can go anywhere you want for your quests. The main quest is obviously going to take you to certain places but you can quest anywhere you want in any order you want.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

TheAmir said:

Hm, they add this, I may actually have to check this game out again - if I can get past the tiny zones and linear questing system.

Haha what? I'm yet to see bigger zones or better questing system than in ESO. Not sure if a troll or just a hater.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Elebeth said:

"Chests are just decorative; you won't be able to use them as an extension to your bank. You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though."

Gina Bruno, Community Manager

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/307047/?_ga=1.77628242.712696298.1477651344

That is rather odd that out of all of the features they are adding to housing that storage isn't one of them?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

BarbieBoy said:

For a game that isn't sandbox in any way, they're slowly getting there.

The game will never be a sandbox MMO.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

josko9 said:

TheAmir said:

Haha what? I'm yet to see bigger zones or better questing system than in ESO. Not sure if a troll or just a hater.

Not sure if ESO is the only MMO you have played, the questing is your typical themepark system.

Not sure if you are troll or a blind follower.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Looks great , ESO just gettin better ...and better ...
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    How so?

There are many items for decorating, one can have an apartment, a house or if one wants to spend money an island, you can craft in your house, there is a combat dummy (not sure what that does but they indicated one could test themselves so many it's animated?) and later they will add gardening.
    On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.
    I think its scaleable like Hearthstone , 2000 is good number of things to start with to , really curious to see a list of things ill be able to make with my woodworker, Gonna start stockpiling wood also till the update comes , may be worthwhile to sell on the AH ...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've stockpiled 13K crowns. This is why :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    I've been stockpiling mats. I also only bought on 15 pack of crown crates. I'm saving and waiting to see what housing will, specifically that island.

I hope there are EQ2 style Lore and Legend / Heritage quest rewards that can go in there too. I like walking into my house as a summary of my adventures in Norrath. Sometimes I notice some trinket or momento in the house and it reminds me of a few years ago when I did some event. That's pretty neat.
    Yea it sounded like there will be LorenLegend /Tropies ala EQ2 which was awesome , i have entire walls covered with them in EQ2 and 100s of books completed , Same with trinkets , and some reminding of people in game and the good times getting them together ... I still have 7 k Crowns left , im gonna save them and wait for the Housing update to drop ...
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    I've been stockpiling mats. I also only bought on 15 pack of crown crates. I'm saving and waiting to see what housing will, specifically that island.

I hope there are EQ2 style Lore and Legend / Heritage quest rewards that can go in there too. I like walking into my house as a summary of my adventures in Norrath. Sometimes I notice some trinket or momento in the house and it reminds me of a few years ago when I did some event. That's pretty neat.
    Yea it sounded like there will be LorenLegend /Tropies ala EQ2 which was awesome , i have entire walls covered with them in EQ2 and 100s of books completed , Same with trinkets , and some reminding of people in game and the good times getting them together ... I still have 7 k Crowns left , im gonna save them and wait for the Housing update to drop ...
    I played EQ2 back in 2006 I think it was. heavy into crafting and medium into housing. I honestly found it rather uninspired and now when I look back it seems extreemly basic. I only say this because I know specifcally exactly what your talking about. books and trophies anyway. not sure about LorenLegend specifically

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    My body is ready!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:

I played EQ2 back in 2006 I think it was. heavy into crafting and medium into housing. I honestly found it rather uninspired and now when I look back it seems extreemly basic. I only say this because I know specifcally exactly what your talking about. books and trophies anyway. not sure about LorenLegend specifically

I get the uninspired , and i was also at the start particularly with the instancing , (hated that) And coming from UO , Where i could build my house brick by brick any way i wanted and have it in the persistent world , EQ housing was a let down in that regard , But at the end i enjoyed all the work i put into it and collecting all the trophies etc... If i am remembering you have Wurm background , so that would make EQ2 seem uninspiring also, But if you fooled with it enough it did have a charm to it ..

LorenLegend quests were mob specific , you would farm for body parts etc.. when you collected all the pieces you would complete the LoreNLegend which gave you 3 things , usually a Mob Specific weapon/trophy (decoration) a placeable Book (with the Lore in it ) and a skill that would do extra damage to that mob you could use had like a 7 minute cool down on it i think ...
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:

I get the uninspired , and i was also at the start particularly with the instancing , (hated that) And coming from UO , Where i could build my house brick by brick any way i wanted and have it in the persistent world , EQ housing was a let down in that regard , But at the end i enjoyed all the work i put into it and collecting all the trophies etc... If i am remembering you have Wurm background , so that would make EQ2 seem uninspiring also, But if you fooled with it enough it did have a charm to it ..

LorenLegend quests were mob specific , you would farm for body parts etc.. when you collected all the pieces you would complete the LoreNLegend which gave you 3 things , usually a Mob Specific weapon/trophy (decoration) a placeable Book (with the Lore in it ) and a skill that would do extra damage to that mob you could use had like a 7 minute cool down on it i think ...
    my EQ2 days where before I started on Wurm. I played EQ2 for about 2 years in total maybe 3 and sadly was never really inspired much about it. I just couldnt find anything at the time. But yeah, that is all water under the bridge for me now

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    "You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though." Gina Bruno, Community Manager"

I'm not even playing ESO, but i like this alot.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

How so?

On top of that every crafting profession can take part in creating housing items and there is synergy between professions to create some more advanced items.

From the way he described the editor and housing in the interview I'm cautiously going to infer that it's hookless and scalable. If they really did look at several systems, including non-mmo games, and they have housing fans on the team then I can only imagine it will be high quality.

Look what Trion created with Dimensions and most all of them hate housing and didn't even want to do it. I can only imagine what the team at ZoS can pull off with them actually being interested in doing it right.

Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.
    EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.
    syriinx said:

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

How so?

Trion did the smart thing: they copy/pasted the best (instanced) housing system on the market.
    EQ2 housing should be the standard MMORPG housing, at least as far as instanced housing goes. The system is amazing. So much freedom. Admittedly though I'm not sure the logistics side of things, I cant even imagine the millions of items that are in EQ2 houses across all servers.
    Do they have yards by now? I mean it would have been nice to have a court yard, maybe plant a farm even.