Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    tawess said:
    laserit said:
    waynejr2 said:
    laserit said:
    Meh...

I make cigarette lighters and by opening the package you are agreeing to my EULA which can also be found on the internet so you can read before you buy.

If you use the cigarette lighter to light a cigar, you are a thief and a scoundrel.

You must buy my cigar lighter for that.

Also.... have a look at my nice campfire lighters, they come packaged in a nice piece of recycled newspaper.
    What if someone lights a cigarette with your lighter then uses their cigarette to light another cigarette?
    FUCK !!!

I hadn't thought about that !

I'd better update my Eula ;)
    or if they light a candle with said cigarette, and then use that to have a "enternal flame" and never buy another lighter from you. Sharing said flame with their community. Making sure you do not sell any more lighters period. 

Silly i know.. 

Anyway.. This whole thing i would guess have killed any chance a vanilla project ever had with Blizzard. (not that it was that much of a chance to begin with... Now it is mulch.)
    Not necessarily.

If anything (and if Blizzard actually wants to make a classic server) they would want to make a superior experience so that anyone playing on an emulated server would be enticed to use Blizzard's effort.

Part of the problem with this discussion is that some players are thinking like "players" and not thinking like a company.

Blizzard is not going to get "offended" because suddenly this server is going to pop up after they met with these guys.

They are going to look at whether it's financially feasible to do it in the way they would want and whether it would be worth the money (or worth it in terms of player good will). They will then want to make a great experience so that there is no choice other than to use their service.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Meh...

I make cigarette lighters and by opening the package you are agreeing to my EULA which can also be found on the internet so you can read before you buy.

If you use the cigarette lighter to light a cigar, you are a thief and a scoundrel.

Also.... have a look at my nice campfire lighters, they come packaged in a nice piece of recycled newspaper.
    That is not the same thing as stealing another companies IP and using everything in it and you know it. Stop injecting these retarded scenarios to make yourself feel better about partaking in the theft of another companies IP.

Edit: The people here spouting off that they bought Vanilla WoW and can no longer play that WoW need to stop. You can still play WoW, just because it is not the WoW YOU want, doesn't mean it is not WoW. It is still WoW and it is still going. 

The box even says online gameplay may change. 

Nowhere on a light does it say you can't light whatever the hell you want after purchasing it. 
    Who's stealing?

If you use my cigarette lighter to light a cigar you are breaking my EULA, your not stealing. I can try to take you to court and claim damages but I don't believe it would go very far. I believe the a judge would probably rule that my EULA violates any kind of fair use.

Clicking a check box on the internet does not a contract make.

The "The box even says online game play may change" is written to absolve the vendor of any kind of financial responsibility should you be dissatisfied with any changes made to the product. It's not a statement of IP protection.

The question of "fair use" to the best of my knowledge, is one that has not been legally tested in regards to this type of circumstance. When monies are not being exchanged, it makes the waters pretty murky. If a company like Blizzard does end up taking a private, fan run, *free* server to court, they are rolling the dice big time. I don't believe companies are too eager to test the waters here, it could easily bite them in the ass.

My comments are purely conjecture, with a dash of real world experience.

I once developed a product, produced and sold it for over four years in my native country of Canada. Then one day out of the blue came a cease and desist letter from a big American corporation. I believe that they were full of crap and I had a case but I had to make a big decision. Do I fight them? They have pretty deep pockets, I had made quite a decent amount of coin from the product over the four + years. I decided that instead of risking loosing that money in escalating legal fees, I just decided to call it a day with the product and sold the production line to a company in Poland.

By the way, a cigarette lighter or any product for that matter, is an intellectual property.
    You're comparing EULA to the theft of an IP, they aren't even the same thing. These people aren't just breaking a EULA, they are stealing an IP and those partaking in it are doing the same thing. You agreed to play WoW even if it changes. And the box says it may change. So you bought the box, before even agreeing, knowing it could change. 

Stealing someone's IP, guess what side the judge is going to side on. That is the debate here.

And a lighter maybe an IP, but it doesn't come with a EULA, I would just go to the next one. No need to agree to any terms for lighting a lighter.
    Well you guys make this EULA thing sound really really lucrative. Us manufacturer's may have to jump on board $$$

There is no reason why physical everyday products can't have EULA's just like the software industry and it sure as hell wouldn't be for your benefit.

If you use my Taco sauce on a Hamburger I'll fucking sue your ass ;)

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it.

Good thing Judges are usually more reasonable than the rest of us.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Meh...

That is not the same thing as stealing another companies IP and using everything in it and you know it. Stop injecting these retarded scenarios to make yourself feel better about partaking in the theft of another companies IP.

Edit: The people here spouting off that they bought Vanilla WoW and can no longer play that WoW need to stop. You can still play WoW, just because it is not the WoW YOU want, doesn't mean it is not WoW. It is still WoW and it is still going. 

Nowhere on a light does it say you can't light whatever the hell you want after purchasing it. 
    Who's stealing?

If you use my cigarette lighter to light a cigar you are breaking my EULA, your not stealing. I can try to take you to court and claim damages but I don't believe it would go very far. I believe the a judge would probably rule that my EULA violates any kind of fair use.

The "The box even says online game play may change" is written to absolve the vendor of any kind of financial responsibility should you be dissatisfied with any changes made to the product. It's not a statement of IP protection.

The question of "fair use" to the best of my knowledge, is one that has not been legally tested in regards to this type of circumstance. When monies are not being exchanged, it makes the waters pretty murky. If a company like Blizzard does end up taking a private, fan run, *free* server to court, they are rolling the dice big time. I don't believe companies are too eager to test the waters here, it could easily bite them in the ass.

I once developed a product, produced and sold it for over four years in my native country of Canada. Then one day out of the blue came a cease and desist letter from a big American corporation. I believe that they were full of crap and I had a case but I had to make a big decision. Do I fight them? They have pretty deep pockets, I had made quite a decent amount of coin from the product over the four + years. I decided that instead of risking loosing that money in escalating legal fees, I just decided to call it a day with the product and sold the production line to a company in Poland.

By the way, a cigarette lighter or any product for that matter, is an intellectual property.
    You're comparing EULA to the theft of an IP, they aren't even the same thing. These people aren't just breaking a EULA, they are stealing an IP and those partaking in it are doing the same thing. You agreed to play WoW even if it changes. And the box says it may change. So you bought the box, before even agreeing, knowing it could change. 

Stealing someone's IP, guess what side the judge is going to side on. That is the debate here.

And a lighter maybe an IP, but it doesn't come with a EULA, I would just go to the next one. No need to agree to any terms for lighting a lighter.
    Well you guys make this EULA thing sound really really lucrative. Us manufacturer's may have to jump on board $$$

There is no reason why physical everyday products can't have EULA's just like the software industry and it sure as hell wouldn't be for your benefit.

except companies that make taco sauce would LOVE to have their product used on a hamburger. The more uses for their product the more money they make.

As far as the lighter they "want" you to light other people's cigarettes', candles "whatever" as it puts their product in front of other users so if they should find themselves in need of buying a lighter why not buy one that they know and that they know is dependable?

These arguments aren't pertinent as they are sort of "Strawman" arguments. they are comparisons of apples to oranges.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    Meh...

Who's stealing?

You know this argument isn't about the EULA, you are just bringing these stupid scenarios into the mix because the argument is about theft of IP and IP related products.

No sane company is going to start popping out EULA's for hot sauce, lighters, or any other thing like that. Because they know that other companies won't and they'll just get all the business. Then the company that went full retard will lose business. 

This debate is about the theft of an IP. No matter how you rationalize it, think it, or say it, this is theft of an IP. Nost or whatever they are now do not own the rights to any WoW characters, items, races, names, or anything else. They are using it without the permission of Blizzard (until Blizzard comes out and says otherwise), that right there is theft.
    People bring up Eula's and statements on a box. "Your experience may change" is protecting them from having to give you a refund. Nothing more complicated than that.

As far as IP theft, I don't believe its so cut and dried. There would be precedence if it was. Taking a fan run, non-profit server to court is a very risky prospect for someone like Blizzard. If it wasn't scary for them, we wouldn't be debating about it.

We'd be pointing to actual rulings.

This isn't a new issue that just popped up, it's been around for quite some time now. In Wow's case, Its been over a decade since I've heard about private WoW servers. 

Deekins said:
    laserit said:
    People bring up Eula's and statements on a box. "Your experience may change" is protecting them from having to give you a refund. Nothing more complicated than that.

As far as IP theft, I don't believe its so cut and dried. There would be precedence if it was. Taking a fan run, non-profit server to court is a very risky prospect for someone like Blizzard. If it wasn't scary for them, we wouldn't be debating about it.

We'd be pointing to actual rulings.

This isn't a new issue that just popped up, it's been around for quite some time now. In Wow's case, Its been over a decade since I've heard about private WoW servers. 
    I've received refunds on MMO's. Taken the box back and got a refund. Putting the game may change on the box is letting you know it won't stay the same. It is a forewarning. Some people just can't accept the fact the game has changed.

No the problem right now is it isn't up and running. Once it is, Blizzard can take them to court. They stole their IP, there is no needing of proof since it is all over the internet what they plan to do. You can't just jack peoples crap and expect it to be ok. 

As far as I know Blizzard has never taken anyone to court for running a private server. But there is always a first. And I would bet on the side of Blizzard.
    Must be a nice store where you buy your boxed games from. I can return them for a refund only if the game hasn't been opened.

And your absolutely correct it is a forewarning that the game may change and that absolves them from having to give refunds for that reason. Which incidentally is a rock solid reason to want a refund, having that warning is the right and proper thing to have on the box and that is why it's there. 

Blizzard can take them to court right now, Nostalius is already guilty of *your* clear cut case of IP theft.  Why don't they? Why are they not taking anyone of the multitude of private servers to court?

Most likely it's because it ain't a slam dunk and a ruling in favor of a fan run non-profit private server would be absolutley disastrous.

It's a big risk, It's not about being Mr Nice Guy.

Now, I'd bet the farm that every single person who's posted in this thread has knowingly broken the law at some point in their lives. 
    I didn't inhale ;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2016
    laserit said:

Must be a nice store where you buy your boxed games from. I can return them for a refund only if the game hasn't been opened.

And your absolutely correct it is a forewarning that the game may change and that absolves them from having to give refunds for that reason. Which incidentally is a rock solid reason to want a refund, having that warning is the right and proper thing to have on the box and that is why it's there. 

Blizzard can take them to court right now, Nostalius is already guilty of *your* clear cut case of IP theft.  Why don't they? Why are they not taking anyone of the multitude of private servers to court?

Most likely it's because it ain't a slam dunk and a ruling in favor of a fan run non-profit private server would be absolutley disastrous.

If you're not referring to servers that are outside of their reach... Which even with those I'm sure there's constant research on the subject. You can't really say what is and what is not going on behind the scenes. Blizzard acting against private servers has been an ongoing process for quite a while, and those are just the stories that make major headlines. They seem to move on a case by case basis, which probably starts very quietly as they move to collect evidence and other pertinent information, so they can move forward with a plan of action. That's what legal teams/divisions do...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    GladDog said:
    What blows me away is that people say they can't wait to get back into the 'Vanilla community.' The Vanilla community is why I quit this game. The Vanilla community was still there when BC released, and their 'wonderfulness' is why I will NEVER play any version of WoW ever, ever again.

That said, I really think that Blizzard needs to do what they can to appease their fan base. There is a strong community that wants Vanilla servers, and Blizz should give them to the players. Problem solved. Won't need pirate servers if there is an official one. I have always thought that game publishers should give players what they want; within reason of course! An item that takes up one inv slot and and slays everything within 50 meters, including players, with one shot is not reasonable. Making early version servers that require virtually no support (and that players are willing to pay a reduced rate sub for) is reasonable.
    Very fair statement.  

I'm honestly shocked with the regards towards the vanilla community (the one that just plays the game and loves it, not the one tcurrently fighting for it, me included with my hot-headedness).  During Vanilla and BC I had so many postive encounters with strangers, it overshadowed any bad experiences I had.  It wasn't until Wotlk when the dynamic of how groups were formed and a further stress on -endgame only mentality- did I run into so many abrasive players.  As most of us know it got worse with each iteration of the game afterward.

Amazingly enough, my recent experiences with these communities in game have reminded my why I love group play, MMO's, RPG's.  I'm reminded how much I enjoy the journey, not the destination.  I don't mind scrapping a toon after a year to start a new because it truly was about a journey and experience with others.

Is anyone honestly surprised though?  Blizzard created a game that touched millions and changed it.  If Monopoly was suddenly taken off the shelves and changed, human nature finds a way to replace the beloved past time with any possible recreation of it.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Sovrath said:
    GladDog said:
     Making early version servers that require virtually no support (and that players are willing to pay a reduced rate sub for) is reasonable.
    I wonder how true this part is though.

It costs money to run servers and for players to connect to them.

Blizzard will want things to run well as it's their company name on the line.

To that end, company's budget everything as well as forecast costs, profits, etc.

Just because the "product" the public servers put out don't cost much doesn't mean that's how Blizzard wants their product to be represented. My guess is that this costs more than players realize because they are thinking of it only in the context of "all you need is the server software and we're good".
    Of course there are costs.  Bandwidth still costs money, although it is a lot cheaper than it used to be.

The big deal is they don't need to develop content.  All they need is maintenance and people to handle trouble tickets.  So instead of a team of 200 designing content while a team of 50 squashes bugs and a team of 100 handling support requests, a team of ten could do the whole thing.  These are vanilla servers, they do not want updates.  With no new content, there are no new bugs to squash, just a few leftovers they never tackled in the first place.

So the 200 are not needed.  The 50 can become 7 at first, then reducing size as time goes on.  The 100 could be 12.  Since the game stays static, there will be fewer and fewer support requests as old an new players learn/remember the ins and outs.  So 12 may settle to 5.

So the servers go to maintenance mode, with 10 people supporting the whole thing.  A sub fee of $9.99 is probably plenty, $6.99 if you also sub to the main game.

And they could offer a 14 day unlimited free trial.  The Vanilla servers become the trial servers, and a player that wants to play the main game can bring their trial player to the 'real' servers with a level and gear boost, maybe +25 levels and standard blue gear.  And a player that 'vanillas' to the level cap and gets some good gear may be able to transfer over at level 85 with lowest level purples.  They still have lots to gain and they are in the level range where they can play with the 'real' guilds.

It is hard for me to see how Blizzard could lose in this deal.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Aori said:
    tawess said:
    They can still force them to prevent the end user from using any IP owned by blizivison... It will be ugly and in the end not worth it.. but they could. 

They can also simply force them to block any US/EU IP. 

But to be fair.... I can´t even be care any more. 

Let the entitled little twits have their inflatable pool... Just as long as they agree to stay there and leave the rest of the internet alone. 
    Honestly I think you are making a drastic mistake by thinking that everyone who plays on these emulated servers don't still support or play current Wow. Just because they want to play a version of the game they started with doesn't mean they hate the current one, or are just deadbeats. Personally I have no desire to play either version of the game, nothing against Wow personally, just sick of tab target MMOs, I just find the current situation fascinating. However from past experience I know that many private server users still played normal wow as well. Even during the days when "Vanilla" Wow was still around. I don't imagine that has changed much the past few years.
    I'm pretty confidant the majority of people on pirated servers are doing it because its free.

Shit dude. You're so right.

This guy has it. Man, I'm a freeloader...... All my guildmates that played and will play on Nostalrius (Elysium) that play retail as well are complete freeloaders. Fuck. I need to look into the mirror man. You see it so clearly. I can only imagine you have experiences beyond that of mortal people.... You are a god dude! I worship you. You are much like Odin all-father because you know everything, even the people you do not know. I am contacting the Avengers to see if they have an open spot for you because they will need your services in their defense of humanity.

Thank you so much, Aori. 
    So lynch mob is still out on this one, huh?  It's interesting, but also disturbing, to so see how so many people hold such a narrow view of the law.  The law is a set of rules that are designed to preserve order but they aren't perfect.  

There's a lot of focus here on IP theft but very little discussion going on about what exactly Blizzard is losing from this theft.  The case has been made that Nostalrius did not negatively impact Legion purchases.  If that's the case, then what would be the cost to Blizzard were they to officially sanction Nostalrius?  But since Blizzard hasn't given these private servers this blessing then that makes the people running them criminals under the law, and criminals are scum!  Now, I'd bet the farm that every single person who's posted in this thread has knowingly broken the law at some point in their lives.  So I hope after you're done posting here, you'll all turn yourselves in.  Justice must done!  I want to see copies of your jaywalking tickets pronto!! 

Here we have a situation where there's a group of people who are interested in preserving a legacy version of a game with zero profit motive but the consensus is that their lives should be ruined by the company who owns the IP; not because that company is losing money but based on the principle that IP theft is some absolute evil in all instances and there's no room for nuance.  Well gawd bless you folks for standing up for what it is right!   :)
    No one is saying the laws are perfect and if people agree with the laws that doesn't mean they have a narrow view of them. That's a ridiculous statement.

In truth I don't think this is really about "law". What it is about is the protection of a creator's creation.

I wonder if Blizzard wasn't a large company but some gamer/artist who created a set of images or a game and those images/game were used in ways he/she didn't want if there would be people in the "private servers are ok" camp who would be up in arms about it?

Not an exact apples to apples but a point that people generally want to side with the creators.

It doesn't matter what Blizzard is losing if they lose anything. All that matters is how they want their IP to be presented.

Just like if I take your photo and use it in a way that you don't want it to be used. Oh sure, you might not care if I used it on a "this is what beautiful people look like" article but how about a "This man has syphillis, learn the facts!" ad? Maybe you would care maybe not.

The "every person has broken the law at some point" is yet another strawman argument.

There are laws on the books that don't even pertain to modern society but that people have probably broken at some point or another. Now, our society is still catching up with digital law and who knows what will change in the future but I bet that a creator will still be able to have control over their creations. Now, whether or not there is enforcement is another thing all together.

In truth I don't think anyone is saying these people's lives should be "ruined" (though who knows there are intense people out there). What they probably are saying is that they are doing something with a company's assets that they have no right to do and that they should stop.

Distopia said:
    laserit said:

If you're not referring to servers that are outside of their reach... Which even with those I'm sure there's constant research on the subject. You can't really say what is and what is not going on behind the scenes. Blizzard acting against private servers has been an ongoing process for quite a while, and those are just the stories that make major headlines. They seem to move on a case by case basis, which probably starts very quietly as they move to collect evidence and other pertinent information, so they can move forward with a plan of action. That's what legal teams/divisions do...
    France is not some rogue nation.

If it is so clear cut, the damage is to do nothing. If your slam dunk IP theft case is being conducted in a friendly nation like France you'd think they'd be jumping at the opportunity to bring the case to the courts. 

Precedence can be a very powerful thing. Very bad if it doesn't go your way. Very risky

When or if a case actually goes to the courts, make no mistake, it will be front page news in gaming quarters.

Litigation by Intimidation means diddly squat.

Sovrath said:
    So lynch mob is still out on this one, huh?  It's interesting, but also disturbing, to so see how so many people hold such a narrow view of the law.  The law is a set of rules that are designed to preserve order but they aren't perfect.  

There's a lot of focus here on IP theft but very little discussion going on about what exactly Blizzard is losing from this theft.  The case has been made that Nostalrius did not negatively impact Legion purchases.  If that's the case, then what would be the cost to Blizzard were they to officially sanction Nostalrius?  But since Blizzard hasn't given these private servers this blessing then that makes the people running them criminals under the law, and criminals are scum!  Now, I'd bet the farm that every single person who's posted in this thread has knowingly broken the law at some point in their lives.  So I hope after you're done posting here, you'll all turn yourselves in.  Justice must done!  I want to see copies of your jaywalking tickets pronto!! 

Here we have a situation where there's a group of people who are interested in preserving a legacy version of a game with zero profit motive but the consensus is that their lives should be ruined by the company who owns the IP; not because that company is losing money but based on the principle that IP theft is some absolute evil in all instances and there's no room for nuance.  Well gawd bless you folks for standing up for what it is right!   :)
    No one is saying the laws are perfect and if people agree with the laws that doesn't mean they have a narrow view of them. That's a ridiculous statement.

In truth I don't think this is really about "law". What it is about is the protection of a creator's creation.

I wonder if Blizzard wasn't a large company but some gamer/artist who created a set of images or a game and those images/game were used in ways he/she didn't want if there would be people in the "private servers are ok" camp who would be up in arms about it?

Not an exact apples to apples but a point that people generally want to side with the creators.

It doesn't matter what Blizzard is losing if they lose anything. All that matters is how they want their IP to be presented.

Just like if I take your photo and use it in a way that you don't want it to be used. Oh sure, you might not care if I used it on a "this is what beautiful people look like" article but how about a "This man has syphillis, learn the facts!" ad? Maybe you would care maybe not.

The "every person has broken the law at some point" is yet another strawman argument.

There are laws on the books that don't even pertain to modern society but that people have probably broken at some point or another. Now, our society is still catching up with digital law and who knows what will change in the future but I bet that a creator will still be able to have control over their creations. Now, whether or not there is enforcement is another thing all together.

In truth I don't think anyone is saying these people's lives should be "ruined" (though who knows there are intense people out there). What they probably are saying is that they are doing something with a company's assets that they have no right to do and that they should stop.

And the rest of us are saying - Blizzard just has to embrace it's fan base rather than alienate it.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Aori said:
    tawess said:
    They can still force them to prevent the end user from using any IP owned by blizivison... It will be ugly and in the end not worth it.. but they could. 

Let the entitled little twits have their inflatable pool... Just as long as they agree to stay there and leave the rest of the internet alone. 
    Honestly I think you are making a drastic mistake by thinking that everyone who plays on these emulated servers don't still support or play current Wow. Just because they want to play a version of the game they started with doesn't mean they hate the current one, or are just deadbeats. Personally I have no desire to play either version of the game, nothing against Wow personally, just sick of tab target MMOs, I just find the current situation fascinating. However from past experience I know that many private server users still played normal wow as well. Even during the days when "Vanilla" Wow was still around. I don't imagine that has changed much the past few years.
    I'm pretty confidant the majority of people on pirated servers are doing it because its free.

This guy has it. Man, I'm a freeloader...... All my guildmates that played and will play on Nostalrius (Elysium) that play retail as well are complete freeloaders. Fuck. I need to look into the mirror man. You see it so clearly. I can only imagine you have experiences beyond that of mortal people.... You are a god dude! I worship you. You are much like Odin all-father because you know everything, even the people you do not know. I am contacting the Avengers to see if they have an open spot for you because they will need your services in their defense of humanity.

Thank you so much, Aori. 
    That was a hardcore overkill just because Aori stated something obvious.

You private server guys are such a hateful bunch.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited December 2016
    Dakeru said:
    Aori said:
    tawess said:

Thank you so much, Aori. 
    That was a hardcore overkill just because Aori stated something obvious.

You private server guys are such a hateful bunch.
    Right back at ya?  Dishing hate towards those passionate about something.

And there is nothing obvious about that assumption, which is why he responded in such a sarcastic manner.  I can't remember ever filling out any kind of survey about my thoughts on it. 

Sovrath said:

And the rest of us are saying - Blizzard just has to embrace it's fan base rather than alienate it.
    Who says they don't embrace their fanbase?

The difference is "which part of the fanbase can be embraced"? Or embraced in a way that makes sense to Blizzard?

Just because x amount of thousand (100 thousand? ) want something does't mean that Blizzard should cater to them.

And keep in mind that there are probably a whole lot of difference "factions" among Blizzard's fanbase who might want something different.

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

The difference is "which part of the fanbase can be embraced"? Or embraced in a way that makes sense to Blizzard?

Just because x amount of thousand (100 thousand? ) want something does't mean that Blizzard should cater to them.

And keep in mind that there are probably a whole lot of difference "factions" among Blizzard's fanbase who might want something different.

They created the beast.  They better find a way to manage it because regardless of comments its already out of the cage.  They had a chance to have better PR through this but they chose the tactics they did and here we are.  And they most certainly have the ability to cater to quite a few different "factions" of their fanbase and come out on top.. and even profit.

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

They created the beast.  They better find a way to manage it because regardless of comments its already out of the cage.  They had a chance to have better PR through this but they chose the tactics they did and here we are.  And they most certainly have the ability to cater to quite a few different "factions" of their fanbase and come out on top.. and even profit.
    Ok but now you are thinking like a player and not a company. A large company at that.

Well, we'll see what Blizzard decides to do, if anything.

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Ok but now you are thinking like a player and not a company. A large company at that.

If I ever think like a company, please shoot me.  I work in non-profit.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Yeah not hateful and extreme at all...
    Harbinger of Fools
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

lol, ok fair enough and makes sense. I've worked for non-profits and also "for profits" and obviously the businesses are run differently.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited December 2016
    Gotta agree with most peeps,it is good news for Blizzard,more subs and some of us will also buy their (horrible)expansions too for support. But still,would be nice if Blizzard provided this service for their fans by themself.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Aori said:
    tawess said:

The only reason I'm playing on a private server is because Blizzard doesn't offer official legacy servers that I would pay a sub for.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156

Aori said:

Enjoy your 400ms of free gameplay, dirty leechers.

Actually my latency is below 200. And Blizzard doesn't offer a paid Vanilla server, so "leeching" is the only option I have.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Enjoy your 400ms of free gameplay, dirty leechers.

Oh yeah leechers who paid sub for years and bought all WOW expansion until I decided that I want to try or go back to Vanilla . You have a limited and narrow mind my dear friend !

I've heard Wow Awakening is moving Servers to Europe for legal purposes possible to avoid Blizzard IP owner ship like that ?

Other wise I don't see a good reason to start and all to be Wiped again .
    Just because I was loyal to my local grocery store for 10 years doesn't mean I can just walk in and help myself what I want at no cost.

You're stealing, there is no justification for your actions, you're a criminal.
    Oh shut the fuck up these fucking nerds are criminals?? idiots like you don't drop a word about how corrupt are USA politicians and Corporations and lobbyists  with special interest . NO real criminals are some Nerds ...and who for years supported the development of the game ....in  first place .....if not millions of nerds wow would have never succeeded ....

Stop shifting goal posts.  Try staying on topic for a second.  The other things (like the politicians) are also criminals.  See how easy that was.  Both are breaking the law.