Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm playing Archeage.. despite all the hate.

Comments

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    What hate? 

I think most people say it is a good game which is, unfortunately, negatively influenced by its monetization model.

I would hardly call it hate.

The hate kicks in when players start to downvote the gameplay or just leave one liners like "shit game".

Its really sad that people do the best  gameplay on a  MMORPG at the moment such an injustice.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    farbege said:
    What hate? 

I think most people say it is a good game which is, unfortunately, negatively influenced by its monetization model.

The hate kicks in when players start to downvote the gameplay or just leave one liners like "shit game".

Its really sad that people do the best  gameplay on a  MMORPG at the moment such an injustice.

I'm leaving one liners because I wore out my last keyboard fighting for this game.   I could write a freakin book.  The hate for what they did to this game the first six months is well deserved.  I mean they allowed blockades and called it pvp.  You cant get any stupider then that.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/458021/did-they-fix-this-game#latest

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/456113/wtf-is-wrong-with-me-archeage-questions/p1

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/442451/sell-me-archeage/p1

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/441242/what-do-you-think-of-archeage/p1

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/440473/should-blockades-be-considered-pvp/p1

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?245242-Trion-Did-you-even-know

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?243304-What-the-players-you-lost-think-about-blockades.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?170079-Why-scamming-isnt-really-PVP.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?111352-How-to-fix-the-land-issue.-Must-see.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?112127-Auroria-Honor-Poll.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?142139-Why-is-this-called-a-PVP-game

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?89260-Poll-Getting-honor.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?104798-Is-the-wall-too-big-too-fast

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?98836-What-they-dont-want-you-to-know-about-crafting.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?89252-Poll-Attacking-your-own-faction.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?87913-Something-s-Broken.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    This is the answer  at  00:37:49 live stream 

So really what is the point in a fresh start server if they are going to end up making it like all the other servers.  Again they missed the entire reason for the idea.  I never expect them to get anything right any more.
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:

I'm leaving one liners because I wore out my last keyboard fighting for this game.   I could write a freakin book.  The hate for what they did to this game the first six months is well deserved.  I mean they allowed blockades and called it pvp.  You cant get any stupider then that.

TRION's decision may not always do the game justice.
    But think about there are other regions as well beside EU / NA in which things have been implemented differently.
    The gameplay itself on Archeage is of some complexity.

TRION might in the initial decision about the blockades favoured freedom of sandbox over artificials rules.
    They took it as of if you can block economy of a guild  it is a valid mean in the big scheme of guild vs guild pvp.
    They reviewed and noticed the potential of misuse of this and changed their stance on it.
    I can see where they come from and idealy blocking of routes used for guild economy as mean for warfare is a good idea. It just is very exploitable for various reasons. iTs exploitable outsiede of  warfare  from single individuals or hit the wrong not involved people etc. thats why they changed their mind.
  • GenetikCodeGenetikCode Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Raystantz have you ever played Aion? because i think thats what you might be looking for as an open world casual pvp. Ok you have to reach lvl 21 i think it was to come across your enemy while out questing but it is that element of surprise while going about your usual quests then suddenly your thrown into a 1 on 1 situation and the chat board suddenly lights up with regards your pvper in the area.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    So, People play funcom  games too.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    farbege said:
    What hate? 

When the cash shop negatively affects gameplay, its not hating on the gameplay because you dislike the effect the cash shop has on it, its hating on the cash shop, ie, hating on a games monetisation strategies, you can have the best gameplay in the world, but a miss handled cash shop can destroy it regardless.
    So don't lay the blame on people hating the gameplay, as by far most of the hate is actually aimed at the cash shop implementation in the game, its misleading to suggest otherwise. :o
    Raystantz have you ever played Aion? because i think thats what you might be looking for as an open world casual pvp. Ok you have to reach lvl 21 i think it was to come across your enemy while out questing but it is that element of surprise while going about your usual quests then suddenly your thrown into a 1 on 1 situation and the chat board suddenly lights up with regards your pvper in the area.
    He won't like Aion because the pvp takes place in a certain zone.  And the rifts in Aion where you can enter the enemy territory are just done so wrong it wasn't even worth doing at all.

farbege said:
    filmoret said:

But think about there are other regions as well beside EU / NA in which things have been implemented differently.

TRION might in the initial decision about the blockades favoured freedom of sandbox over artificials rules.
    They took it as of if you can block economy of a guild  it is a valid mean in the big scheme of guild vs guild pvp.
    They reviewed and noticed the potential of misuse of this and changed their stance on it.
    I can see where they come from and idealy blocking of routes used for guild economy as mean for warfare is a good idea. It just is very exploitable for various reasons. iTs exploitable outsiede of  warfare  from single individuals or hit the wrong not involved people etc. thats why they changed their mind.
    It took them over 6 months to figure out something most other players figured out in 10 seconds.  You will be dissapointed if you are a pvp veteran looking for well done pvp.  Its like they took people straight out of high school who have never played a pvp game and then gave them a pvp game to run.  I'll check back every year or so to see if they finally figured things out but its always the same thing.  They missed the good idea once again and chose another bad one.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Phry said:
    farbege said:
    What hate? 

When the cash shop negatively affects gameplay, its not hating on the gameplay because you dislike the effect the cash shop has on it, its hating on the cash shop, ie, hating on a games monetisation strategies, you can have the best gameplay in the world, but a miss handled cash shop can destroy it regardless.
    So don't lay the blame on people hating the gameplay, as by far most of the hate is actually aimed at the cash shop implementation in the game, its misleading to suggest otherwise. :o
    This.....^^     Great Game Hampered by the P2W cashshop Archeage is Posterchild for this ...

Give me a sub-server with cosmetic-vanity cashsop only and im there , And this server would easily become the most populated AA server overnite imo
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Peacetime only lasts for a couple of hours at most eeek ! That's hardly any time to do anything. I thought it might be a day at least . I was under the wrong impression that I could play in the peacetime and avoid the PvP but if the time in between peace and war is so short it will mean I would be just waiting around  too long for the peacetime to come around and hence it is not really feasible. Thanks for the heads up.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    kitarad said:
    Peacetime only lasts for a couple of hours at most eeek ! That's hardly any time to do anything. I thought it might be a day at least . I was under the wrong impression that I could play in the peacetime and avoid the PvP but if the time in between peace and war is so short it will mean I would be just waiting around  too long for the peacetime to come around and hence it is not really feasible. Thanks for the heads up.
    The 1 - 30 zones for both factions are in peace 24/7, so you can farm, craft, do safe-zone trade runs whenever you'd like. They made a change a little while back so that housing/farm districts within a conflict zone are now safe areas also. So if you're on your property, even if it's a hostile zone, you're safe. Even if you get caught in a war zone, as long as you're not transporting trade packs, getting killed by another player has zero consequence. And when you respawn you're placed at a statue that has a small safe zone around it. The game is really pvp-lite.
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Scorchien said:
    Phry said:
    farbege said:
    What hate? 

This.....^^     Great Game Hampered by the P2W cashshop Archeage is Posterchild for this ...

Give me a sub-server with cosmetic-vanity cashsop only and im there , And this server would easily become the most populated AA server overnite imo
    This is the best response I've seen on this thread. I'm 100% in that camp. I think the game itself is amazing. It's definitely the best MMO I've played to date in terms of gameplay, content, and overall game mechanics. When I heard you could fight on the SEA, I was like WHAT? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Even what I have done on the Legacy servers has been fun. The hate doesn't come from the games playability or really any of the games functions, even though yes there is still stuff to be improved. The hate comes solely from how terrible of a payment model it has. I watched that live stream and listened to them tell their player base that yes, at some point we will be adding all of the things you hate back to the game to once again make it P2W.. I vomited in my mouth a little bit. I understand from a business perspective they are being pulled in several directions, but they would make BANK if they just made one server (or you know, all the servers.) that had nothing but cosmetic or minor "help" items in the cash shop. Pets, mounts, minor XP pots, things that help you progress a little faster perhaps but not things that allow you to be light years "better" than other players. I'd spend money on that stuff, and this is someone who hates cash shops and refuses to spend money on cash shop items generally. I'm not buying a piece of armor or a weapon from a cash shop because it has the best stats in the game. That stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME. But, yeah if I want to look like a bad ass pirate and have an eyepatch..sure.. make me buy that off the cash shop. It doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever but it makes me different than everyone else without giving me a gameplay advantage. It's not rocket science. Don't put game breaking items that make players have a gameplay advantage in the cash shop and you will profit. More people will play, and more people will spend money on the cosmetic items, the non game breaking potions, the mounts, the pets, the fluff items, etc. 

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

filmoret said:
    He won't like Aion because the pvp takes place in a certain zone.  And the rifts in Aion where you can enter the enemy territory are just done so wrong it wasn't even worth doing at all.

farbege said:
    filmoret said:

It took them over 6 months to figure out something most other players figured out in 10 seconds.  You will be dissapointed if you are a pvp veteran looking for well done pvp.  Its like they took people straight out of high school who have never played a pvp game and then gave them a pvp game to run.  I'll check back every year or so to see if they finally figured things out but its always the same thing.  They missed the good idea once again and chose another bad one.
    You know me too well :)

Currently playing:

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    raystantz said:
    Scorchien said:
    Phry said:
    farbege said:
    What hate? 

This is the best response I've seen on this thread. I'm 100% in that camp. I think the game itself is amazing. It's definitely the best MMO I've played to date in terms of gameplay, content, and overall game mechanics. When I heard you could fight on the SEA, I was like WHAT? WHERE DO I SIGN UP? Even what I have done on the Legacy servers has been fun. The hate doesn't come from the games playability or really any of the games functions, even though yes there is still stuff to be improved. The hate comes solely from how terrible of a payment model it has. I watched that live stream and listened to them tell their player base that yes, at some point we will be adding all of the things you hate back to the game to once again make it P2W.. I vomited in my mouth a little bit. I understand from a business perspective they are being pulled in several directions, but they would make BANK if they just made one server (or you know, all the servers.) that had nothing but cosmetic or minor "help" items in the cash shop. Pets, mounts, minor XP pots, things that help you progress a little faster perhaps but not things that allow you to be light years "better" than other players. I'd spend money on that stuff, and this is someone who hates cash shops and refuses to spend money on cash shop items generally. I'm not buying a piece of armor or a weapon from a cash shop because it has the best stats in the game. That stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME. But, yeah if I want to look like a bad ass pirate and have an eyepatch..sure.. make me buy that off the cash shop. It doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever but it makes me different than everyone else without giving me a gameplay advantage. It's not rocket science. Don't put game breaking items that make players have a gameplay advantage in the cash shop and you will profit. More people will play, and more people will spend money on the cosmetic items, the non game breaking potions, the mounts, the pets, the fluff items, etc. 
    The monetization/P2W model, as well as the shitty rng crafting upgrade/regrade system basically killed what was otherwise a really good game.
    This is like the only game I have seen where players beg for a sub only server.  Trion really has no clue the value of this game.
    edited December 2016
    raystantz said:
    <..>
     but they would make BANK if they just made one server (or you know, all the servers.) that had nothing but cosmetic or minor "help" items in the cash shop. Pets, mounts, minor XP pots, things that help you progress a little faster perhaps but not things that allow you to be light years "better" than other players. I'd spend money on that stuff, and this is someone who hates cash shops and refuses to spend money on cash shop items generally. I'm not buying a piece of armor or a weapon from a cash shop because it has the best stats in the game. That stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME. But, yeah if I want to look like a bad ass pirate and have an eyepatch..sure.. make me buy that off the cash shop. It doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever but it makes me different than everyone else without giving me a gameplay advantage. It's not rocket science. Don't put game breaking items that make players have a gameplay advantage in the cash shop and you will profit. More people will play, and more people will spend money on the cosmetic items, the non game breaking potions, the mounts, the pets, the fluff items, etc. 

1) "stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME"
    yes sub only and no cash shop sounds healthy and fair and easy to agree with first...
    but..
    the game is designed to be playable by all sorts of playstyles and target audiance.
    After the "golden Era of MMO's" a new monetization paragdigm ook over  which is : free to play and casual player compatible.

This type of players can't ever be incorporated with sub only. If you know any other recipe then cash shop please tell me.
    Granted TRION overdid it, is my opinion as well, especially with the RNG boxes  but they needed to establish something that attracts casual people with a job who can beat hardcore players progress.
    The tools at their disposal are Labor system, RNG  etc. but how to stop someone playing the game hardcore AND investing real cash for advancement and same time allowing freedom and flexibility.
    The matter is difficult and the company did eventually some errors regarding this.

With 3.0 they remove unlimited labor potions from cash shop and
    introduce even mor heavier taxes on landowners, they battle the balance war and its not a easy one.
    farbege said:
    raystantz said:
    <..>
     but they would make BANK if they just made one server (or you know, all the servers.) that had nothing but cosmetic or minor "help" items in the cash shop. Pets, mounts, minor XP pots, things that help you progress a little faster perhaps but not things that allow you to be light years "better" than other players. I'd spend money on that stuff, and this is someone who hates cash shops and refuses to spend money on cash shop items generally. I'm not buying a piece of armor or a weapon from a cash shop because it has the best stats in the game. That stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME. But, yeah if I want to look like a bad ass pirate and have an eyepatch..sure.. make me buy that off the cash shop. It doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever but it makes me different than everyone else without giving me a gameplay advantage. It's not rocket science. Don't put game breaking items that make players have a gameplay advantage in the cash shop and you will profit. More people will play, and more people will spend money on the cosmetic items, the non game breaking potions, the mounts, the pets, the fluff items, etc. 

1) "stuff should be earned from PLAYING THE GAME"
    yes sub only and no cash shop sounds healthy and fair and easy to agree with first...
    but..
    the game is designed to be playable by all sorts of playstyles and target audiance.
    After the "golden Era of MMO's" a new monetization paragdigm ook over  which is : free to play and casual player compatible.

This type of players can't ever be incorporated with sub only. If you know any other recipe then cash shop please tell me.
    Granted TRION overdid it, is my opinion as well, especially with the RNG boxes  but they needed to establish something that attracts casual people with a job who can beat hardcore players progress.
    The tools at their disposal are Labor system, RNG  etc. but how to stop someone playing the game hardcore AND investing real cash for advancement and same time allowing freedom and flexibility.
    The matter is difficult and the company did eventually some errors regarding this.

With 3.0 they remove unlimited labor potions from cash shop and
    introduce even mor heavier taxes on landowners, they battle the balance war and its not a easy one.

I never said there shouldn't be a cash shop. I said that the items in the cash shop should be such that they do not allow ANYONE, regardless of playstyle to "win" at the game simply by buying said items. Items that allow a extreme advantage over those who do not buy them such as gear with stats better than what can be acquired by any other means etc. Doing this allows all sorts of playstyles because everyone is on a level playing field. 

Things that make sense to be in a cash shop.

- MOUNTS with exclusive skins
    - Pets with exclusive skins
    - Vanity items for your house
    - Potions that raise stats a few points while leveling or XP pots.. just for leveling faster. Everyone is going to get there eventually anyway.
    - Costumes
    - Gear that helps with crafting
    - Fluff items
    - New content
    - New classes

Things that should NOT be in the cash shop.

- Gear with better stats than anything else in the game.
    - Bag Space (unless there is an alternative in game way to get it as well)
    - Items that do absolutely anything to alter Labor points. You should only be able to earn LP by playing the game.

I'd say get rid of the sub fee model all together, instead of having Patron. Everybody gets the same labor pool and regeneration rates. Everybody gets the same shot at owning land.

Currently playing:

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    All things purchasable in the cash shop are purchasable with gold. Just not directly.

You buy APEX with gold, convert the APEX to credits, then buy what you need. Some things from the cash shop are also easily purchasable through the AH. For instance all of my bankspace upgrades I've ever had, I purchased through the AH. They generally are not that expensive either.
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:
    This is like the only game I have seen where players beg for a sub only server.  Trion really has no clue the value of this game.
    I think people would quickly realize a sub only server isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

1. You would still get people running alt trains of haulers.
    2. You would still get people who've had access to the best paying content forever.
    3. Because of 1 and 2 you would still have people in the 6-8k equipment point range. 
    4. The gear disparity would still be a major issue because of 1-3.
    5. It would still suck to try to join and be viable on any older server because of 1-4.

Making the cash shop go away is not the silver bullet to solve everyone's problems that you all think it is. Making the stat based power gap smaller is.
    Eldurian said:
    filmoret said:
    I think people would quickly realize a sub only server isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

1. You would still get people running alt trains of haulers.
    2. You would still get people who've had access to the best paying content forever.
    3. Because of 1 and 2 you would still have people in the 6-8k equipment point range. 
    4. The gear disparity would still be a major issue because of 1-3.
    5. It would still suck to try to join and be viable on any older server because of 1-4.

Making the cash shop go away is not the silver bullet to solve everyone's problems that you all think it is. Making the stat based power gap smaller is.
    The game was designed for the cash shop.  That is why RNG crafting exists.  That is why one player can own 20 pieces of property.  That was why they could grab all the land without having to build anything on it.   They would have to change quite a few things to make it a fun sub game.

But the problem is.  1 Whale spends more money in 1 month then 1 WOW player has spent since the game launched.  So they really have no reason other then honor or self respect to change anything.  Casino owners have no honor and they continue to do business for years on end.  Trion and Archeage are the same thing and I don't see it changing at all.  Which is why Blizzard, Zenimax, Anet, Square Enix, and many other gaming companies never go down that road.
    The ultimate solution is finding a way to make money from your player base without only catering to one specific group of players who have unlimited funds to throw at a game in order to beat everyone else. None of us are asking to play the game for free, we just want a reasonable level of expectation in terms of what we are paying for and how that scales with everyone else. Nobody should be able to dump hundreds/thousands of dollars in the game in order to be the best at it.

Currently playing:

edited December 2016
    I've explained this in other topics but people say you can dump hundreds/thousands to be the best. That's not how it works out in reality though. An active player doing good content makes the equivalent of hundreds of dollars per month. Coming in late to the game would require you to spend thousands to catch up to a player who's never spent anything beyond their patron fees and been an active player.

Theoretically it's possible but... that's not really how it plays out.

The true upper class of ArcheAge at this point fall into one of three categories generally:

1. People in one of the top guilds that have own castles and win world events.
    2. People who are really good at playing the auction house.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for with APEX they bought with gold to run one man hauler trains.

The funny part is if you compare this to EVE, a game nobody accuses of being pay to win:

1. People in one of the top alliances that own sovereignty and can do the best content.
    2. People who are really good at playing the market.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for in PLEX they bought with ISK to run one man mining fleets.

In both those games you can buy APEX and PLEX with real world money then sell it for in-game currency to get ahead. And in both those games the reality is that it's very rare to see someone who has gotten to the top just on APEX and PLEX.

Also, owning a bunch of land as one player with one account is something you don't really see because the tax rate increases massively for each piece of land on your account. People who fall into category 3 are the land barons that own a bazillion properties. And it's hard to nerf that because there is no way to tell the difference between a legit main account and someone's alt account.
    Eldurian said:
    I've explained this in other topics but people say you can dump hundreds/thousands to be the best. That's not how it works out in reality though. An active player doing good content makes the equivalent of hundreds of dollars per month. Coming in late to the game would require you to spend thousands to catch up to a player who's never spent anything beyond their patron fees and been an active player.

Theoretically it's possible but... that's not really how it plays out.

The true upper class of ArcheAge at this point fall into one of three categories generally:

1. People in one of the top guilds that have own castles and win world events.
    2. People who are really good at playing the auction house.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for with APEX they bought with gold to run one man hauler trains.

The funny part is if you compare this to EVE, a game nobody accuses of being pay to win:

1. People in one of the top alliances that own sovereignty and can do the best content.
    2. People who are really good at playing the market.
    3. People who have a bazillion alts they pay for in PLEX they bought with ISK to run one man mining fleets.

In both those games you can buy APEX and PLEX with real world money then sell it for in-game currency to get ahead. And in both those games the reality is that it's very rare to see someone who has gotten to the top just on APEX and PLEX.

Also, owning a bunch of land as one player with one account is something you don't really see because the tax rate increases massively for each piece of land on your account. People who fall into category 3 are the land barons that own a bazillion properties. And it's hard to nerf that because there is no way to tell the difference between a legit main account and someone's alt account.
    Yet in eve you don't have people who can 1 shot veterans simply because he paid for it.
    edited December 2016
    Well that's not entirely true. They're called titans and alpha strike tempests. But yes the disparity is higher because you can't get blown up and lose all your crap in ArcheAge like you can in EVE.

ArcheAge is a textbook example of why full loot PvP is a good thing. If it was built around a gear-loss on death model the disparity would mostly disappear overnight. 

But my point is that it's not the payment or monetization model causing these problems. When you consider you can convert APEX bought with gold into credits that you can buy anything with, EVE and ArcheAge essentially have the same monetization model.

It's the advancement model that is the problem. The idea that someone in full tier 4 obsidian can effortlessly slaughter someone in full tier 1 obsidian. In turn either of them could be effortlessly be slaughtered by someone in full celestial grade of the same tier. Who could easily be slaughtered by someone in full Ayanad. Who could easily be slaughtered by someone in full high grade Ayanad.

This is not a problem unique to ArcheAge though. Most games are based on massive disparity. ArcheAge actually has very low disparity levels when compared to most other themeparks. It's just fairly high disparity levels compared to most other games that claim to be a sandbox. And most sandbox MMOs have pretty high disparity levels when compared with non-MMO PvP/Sandbox games.

The other funny thing is that while all the hate is directed at Trion. That's the advancement model ArcheAge has everywhere. Not just the NA localized version.

Ultimately I blame every player who's ever said "They deserve to have an advantage because they've been playing longer" for the state ArcheAge is currently in.