Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Oh yeah these horrible thieves! Stealing a game they already paid for to give it away for free while not taking a single cent from Blizzard who doesn't want to offer the same service to people willing to pay.

KEK

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

ianicus said:

<snip>

Since Blizz isn't willing to do it, this could only be possible if the pirate server pays Blizzard a fee. These pirate servers usually run on donations so they are indeed making money with someone else's work.

I think in this case there will be no "donations".

Although the servers may have been donated from some previously shut down operation!

So if they are not paying Blizzard I suspect planned "altruism" - enough to run the servers for "some months" say. 

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...

Blizzard can't do nothing, so the server getting shut down is not going to happen anytime soon.

In fact the only way the server might get shut down is if Blizzard pay off these guys behind the scene to shut it down. There is nothing else they can do. Sadly some(often) times the law just can't help even if you are in the right.

I personally won't probably play on this(or any other private)server. I don't really support this type of behaviour, BUT in this particular cause I don't completely disapprove either, because there's more than enough proof that there are plenty of people who would gladly play on Vanilla servers, yet Blizzard just ignore it, no even worse. They pretended to care, but in fact ignored... Would have been better if they said outright that they won't do a Vanilla server and be done with it.

At the moment I have only 2 rl friends who still play WoW(from about 30 or so back in Vanilla). I've asked around and about 20 have confirmed that if there are Vanilla servers they would be more than happy to start playing again(even if just casual).

Legion is great, but it's a grindfest... I don't know what other people think, but for me this is probably the first expansion where I geniunely feel like I'm not playing anymore for fun, but I'm playing as if it's an actual work... You miss 1-2 days and you feel like you are way behind everyone else.

What's more playing more than 2 characters without being a streamer(aka playing being your job) is close to impossible. At least impossible to keep them at the same level of progress. Even 2 chars is a bit of a strain.

Blizzard needs to make some appropriate adjustments and I don't mean just the possibility to get high AK on your alts like what they are adding in the upcoming patch.

Why am I mentioning Legion? Well today my sub expired and I actually debated whether I should pay it or not... If Vanilla servers existed I wouldn't be even thinking about this.

If there is nothing they can do then why did Nos even shut down the server the first time? Why would they even stop and not just start the server back up? There is way more here to it then you saying "They Can't do anything.. lol"

The fact is Blizzard can do something about it because the names that are used are IP Copyrighted by Blizzard and anything that uses the names, characters, art, ect. is all Blizzards for them to control.

So I will not be suprised at all to see this server shut down within months of it opening up. And if any of the original Nos team is working on this new server then I wish them the best of luck as they have already been told once to cease and desist.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...

Blizzard can't do nothing, so the server getting shut down is not going to happen anytime soon.

In fact the only way the server might get shut down is if Blizzard pay off these guys behind the scene to shut it down. There is nothing else they can do. Sadly some(often) times the law just can't help even if you are in the right.

I personally won't probably play on this(or any other private)server. I don't really support this type of behaviour, BUT in this particular cause I don't completely disapprove either, because there's more than enough proof that there are plenty of people who would gladly play on Vanilla servers, yet Blizzard just ignore it, no even worse. They pretended to care, but in fact ignored... Would have been better if they said outright that they won't do a Vanilla server and be done with it.

At the moment I have only 2 rl friends who still play WoW(from about 30 or so back in Vanilla). I've asked around and about 20 have confirmed that if there are Vanilla servers they would be more than happy to start playing again(even if just casual).

Legion is great, but it's a grindfest... I don't know what other people think, but for me this is probably the first expansion where I geniunely feel like I'm not playing anymore for fun, but I'm playing as if it's an actual work... You miss 1-2 days and you feel like you are way behind everyone else.

What's more playing more than 2 characters without being a streamer(aka playing being your job) is close to impossible. At least impossible to keep them at the same level of progress. Even 2 chars is a bit of a strain.

Blizzard needs to make some appropriate adjustments and I don't mean just the possibility to get high AK on your alts like what they are adding in the upcoming patch.

Why am I mentioning Legion? Well today my sub expired and I actually debated whether I should pay it or not... If Vanilla servers existed I wouldn't be even thinking about this.

If there is nothing they can do then why did Nos even shut down the server the first time? Why would they even stop and not just start the server back up? There is way more here to it then you saying "They Can't do anything.. lol"

The fact is Blizzard can do something about it because the names that are used are IP Copyrighted by Blizzard and anything that uses the names, characters, art, ect. is all Blizzards for them to control.

So I will not be suprised at all to see this server shut down within months of it opening up. And if any of the original Nos team is working on this new server then I wish them the best of luck as they have already been told once to cease and desist.
    hmmm Im actually wondering with a 12 day head start by announcing it , if Blizz doesnt put the brakes on it before it opens...
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited December 2016
    I love the stupidity of the people on these forums just hating on Nost and now Elysium who is a non profit server. When there are severs like [mod edit] and many more for things like gear, mounts, and other things. They shut down because they wanted blizz to bring us real Legacy realms and they learned quickly that isn't something they are actually intrested in doing or not until there game has no population at all then theyll do it do bring back players.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    They operating on donations right ? Or am I mistaken about that ?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Also I want to apologize for misunderstand you.
    Oh please there's nothing to apologize for. I get it, a lot of people sort of think that certain comments are attacks here on the interwebz but if we were all sitting in the same room the tone of the conversation would probably be a lot more cordial.

In any case thank for the info.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HordefallHordefall Member CommonPosts: 3

Deekins said:

toolak said:

The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.

I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

What the hell is wrong with you? First off the word stealing. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, words mean things. It is not stealing if the original possessor still has the thing. Stealing was already against the law - if it was stealing then we wouldn't have needed the new IP infringement laws that you yourself mention. You can't even keep your own false narrative straight.

So you mean it is "like" stealing, because Blizzard is not getting the money out of me that they would have gotten. False assumption. I don't want to buy the game they are selling today, so there is no chance of them making a sale. Not sure why I say it that way - I already bought everything except Legion - They've gotten well over a grand out of me over the years.

Who is ripping who off here? I just want to play the silly video game I bought for a thousand bucks and invested years into, and I am ripping them off? And you calling me a thief really pisses me off.
    edited December 2016
    Hordefall said:

Deekins said:

toolak said:

The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.

I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

What the hell is wrong with you? First off the word stealing. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, words mean things. It is not stealing if the original possessor still has the thing. Stealing was already against the law - if it was stealing then we wouldn't have needed the new IP infringement laws that you yourself mention. You can't even keep your own false narrative straight.

So you mean it is "like" stealing, because Blizzard is not getting the money out of me that they would have gotten. False assumption. I don't want to buy the game they are selling today, so there is no chance of them making a sale. Not sure why I say it that way - I already bought everything except Legion - They've gotten well over a grand out of me over the years.

Who is ripping who off here? I just want to play the silly video game I bought for a thousand bucks and invested years into, and I am ripping them off? And you calling me a thief really pisses me off.
    When people use the word "stealing" in the context of software/music/movies, etc, it's always about obtaining something that one hasn't paid for. And therefore don't have the right to access it.

It becomes a sort of colloquialism.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Wow <- expression of astonishment not game reference
    A lot of mention of heroes and villains (thieves, once again not a game reference)
    While hoping they get sued is just rooting for corporate greed, Blizzard has the money and resources to run a Vanilla like server if they were inclined to do so, calling them heroes really cheapens the word. People publicly releasing a pirate version of a game risking getting sued or worse is something else all together . . .  starting with S and rhyming with cupid. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hope these thieves get shut down.  Again.

What I find the most interesting about all of the hullabaloo surrounding the resurrection of Nost is that while so many people here are losing their shit over it, nobody has uttered a single peep about any other renegade server games. SWG, Warhammer Online, UO, EQ, DAOC, all of these games have or at least had EMU servers, yet not only do people here, even the people who work at this very site, bad mouth any of those, they've even on occasion spoken of them fondly.

Now call me crazy but why do they get a free pass? All of them still use assets created by someone else. All of them are tied to an IP that they aren't paying a license fee for. What's the fucking difference? And don't give me the bullshit answer that's its because the games are no longer available to play. Why? Well first off EQ, UO, and DAOC are still very much alive, not the same game they used to be maybe, but then of course neither is World of Warcraft. And SWG and WH Online may be very much dead, but the IP licenses they are based on are still very much alive and very very profitable. So again what is the fucking difference, well other than the obvious hashtag warrior lynch mob mentality that is so sadly prevalent these days, not to mention a massive amount of hypocrisy.
    Now, now, of course they don't get a free pass. This is the one being discussed.

It's not like the people against this are saying "well, this server must be stopped but x, y and z servers are all ok".

List "x, y and z servers" and they would also be criticized. At least as far as the World of Warcraft servers out there.

As far as other servers I think you would find some sort of split as far as people for, against and those who don't care.

edited December 2016
    Sovrath said:

What I find the most interesting about all of the hullabaloo surrounding the resurrection of Nost is that while so many people here are losing their shit over it, nobody has uttered a single peep about any other renegade server games. SWG, Warhammer Online, UO, EQ, DAOC, all of these games have or at least had EMU servers, yet not only do people here, even the people who work at this very site, bad mouth any of those, they've even on occasion spoken of them fondly.

Now call me crazy but why do they get a free pass? All of them still use assets created by someone else. All of them are tied to an IP that they aren't paying a license fee for. What's the fucking difference? And don't give me the bullshit answer that's its because the games are no longer available to play. Why? Well first off EQ, UO, and DAOC are still very much alive, not the same game they used to be maybe, but then of course neither is World of Warcraft. And SWG and WH Online may be very much dead, but the IP licenses they are based on are still very much alive and very very profitable. So again what is the fucking difference, well other than the obvious hashtag warrior lynch mob mentality that is so sadly prevalent these days, not to mention a massive amount of hypocrisy.
    Now, now, of course they don't get a free pass. This is the one being discussed.

It's not like the people against this are saying "well, this server must be stopped but x, y and z servers are all ok".

List "x, y and z servers" and they would also be criticized. At least as far as the World of Warcraft servers out there.

As far as other servers I think you would find some sort of split as far as people for, against and those who don't care.

well EQ and UO have pretty much said go ahead have fun , Its there IP and there's to permit it,SWP and War have no servers running and have little ground to stand on without it ..

DAOC i cant answer for

ANd ATVi/Blizz have said dont do it , and its there right to say so , and follow up with any means necassary
    Deekins said:
    Hordefall said:

Deekins said:

toolak said:

It is stealing. It is theft of an IP. You don't like being called a thief..don't steal. I don't care how much it pisses you off, stealing something is what thieves do.

Just because you don't like the game it has become doesn't negate the fact it is still going in a different fashion, but same game. The damned box even says gameplay may change.

IP infringements can mean stealing things inside the IP too. And they are using the IP name, characters, items and everything in between. So in this case it doesn't matter if they aren't paying, it is theft.
    I paid a thousand bucks for a thing, had that thing taken from me, and I'm the thief. It's a weird Orwellian world that you have created here. 
    edited December 2016
    Hordefall said:
    Deekins said:
    Hordefall said:

Deekins said:

toolak said:

It is stealing. It is theft of an IP. You don't like being called a thief..don't steal. I don't care how much it pisses you off, stealing something is what thieves do.

Just because you don't like the game it has become doesn't negate the fact it is still going in a different fashion, but same game. The damned box even says gameplay may change.

IP infringements can mean stealing things inside the IP too. And they are using the IP name, characters, items and everything in between. So in this case it doesn't matter if they aren't paying, it is theft.
    I paid a thousand bucks for a thing, had that thing taken from me, and I'm the thief. It's a weird Orwellian world that you have created here. 
    The agreement you clicked on everyday was to rent the product ... while paying a sub , Now you are a common thief
  • DairiosDairios Member UncommonPosts: 22
    An important detail I see being left out is that, Blizzard -has- to step in and give a cease and desist. Not protecting your assets/IP from a public infringement of it such as Nostralius or in this case, Elysium, could result in the loss of copyright protection for Blizzard for the World of Warcraft brand. They have to step in and actively protect it, else they risk losing it. That's how Copyright and Intellectual Property laws work.
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Yay! Looking forward to playing it :)
    Dairios said:
    An important detail I see being left out is that, Blizzard -has- to step in and give a cease and desist. Not protecting your assets/IP from a public infringement of it such as Nostralius or in this case, Elysium, could result in the loss of copyright protection for Blizzard for the World of Warcraft brand. They have to step in and actively protect it, else they risk losing it. That's how Copyright and Intellectual Property laws work.
    Not true. That happened to Kleenex, long ago. That is where the case law stands, but it is not like this, or anything close, has ever been tested in court. 
    Blizzard doesn't have damages. Puffs was making tons of money, so Kleenex had potential damages. You sort of need damages to get a judge to listen to you. 
    Now of course, if I was them, I would send the cease and desist anyway, just in case in the future we enter bizzaro universe and Elysium makes a small fortune at my expense.
    But then again, if I was them, then they wouldn't be the giant evil corporation that bought Blizzard in the first place.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Not going to get into the morals of private servers. It is IP theft no question about that.

But this is as simple as there being a demand for a product and it simple not being offered. People will get the product they want one way or another.

Honestly I feel bliz is stupid that they are turning away a player base that is larger then many major mmos out today who want to play the original concept of WoW and not modern much more casual version. They had a letter with over 200k people asking for private servers and their response was more or less play legion.

Honestly as a gamer I say thank you to the private servers for offering a game that no longer exist and allowing us to play what defined the genre as a whole. Outside the character models and world WoW today is a completely different game from yesterday.

And to most people saying people are playing private servers because they do not way to pay. I find this to rarely be the case in these legacy servers, and not just the WoW ones. Most would drop them in a second if an official p2p server that was not modified from the vanilla game was launched.

As a company Blizz does has a duty to defends its IP. But it is stupid to keep shutting down these massive private servers with 200k+ people wanting to play vanilla WoW and not profit from it by releasing it yourself. They are basically saying screw your millions of dollars a  month we do not want it. As a company that is for profit why the hell would you throw away that much money.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2016
    Xodic said:
    You mean changing the way companies look and listen to players?

It is their legal right to go after these guys, of course it is. It goes against their interests to do nothing, but it goes against all player's interests to want the people behind this server crucified.
    This is the part that baffles me about the Nost hate-mongering: how many people really think anyone at Activision Blizzard is in the back of the profit meetings going: "Yea guys, but those lottery RNG tactics have been found to be psychologically addictive in clinical studies.  Including it in our game to tempt players into giving us more money is wrong!"

For the second time, the relationship between consumer and producer, specifically in a capitalistic society, is adversarial.  Each wants what they can get from the other for as little cost as possible.  So, while we can all agree that Nost was doing something illegal, the moral outrage that has gone along with it from many seems strangely masochistic.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Blizzard HAVE to sue to protect their IP or it sets a precedent and grants a free license for anyone else to use Warcraft.

This isnt about greed, its about 'Ferrari stopping other people making and selling Ferraris'.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited December 2016
    I dunno.

Everyone is shouting IP THEFT left and right around here, yet not once have I seen mention of the semi-new provisions in  the US' DMCA in regards to online games or online services that are no longer available.

If Nost went to court they would have to prove that the original owner no longer provides the game in question. What is interesting is that one can logically argue that while WoW 7.0 is still WoW, WoW 1.12 is ALSO WoW but is no longer available by the owners choice. Also much of the art assets used in 1.12 has also been abandoned for newer models as WoW has trudged on over the years.

it would be an interesting case, as it would be the first use of the new provisions to prove legality on behalf of non-profit entity for a game that is still in service yet does not provide access to an older version of said service.

so it is not a clear case of IP theft, nor is it a certainty that the Emulated server is legal. Mainly because such an occurrence has not gone to trial under the new DMCA provisions to give legal precedent.

P.S.
    Blizzard HAVE to sue to protect their IP or it sets a precedent and grants a free license for anyone else to use Warcraft.

This isnt about greed, its about 'Ferrari stopping other people making and selling Ferraris'.

It is about greed, Ferrari stops others from making Ferraris' because then they can overprice their product due to brand recognition. Which is fine by the way, Ferrari is a for profit company after all and therefore entirely motivated by greed. . . 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    sayuu said:
    I dunno.

Everyone is shouting IP THEFT left and right around here, yet not once have I seen mention of the semi-new provisions in  the US' DMCA in regards to online games or online services that are no longer available.

If Nost went to court they would have to prove that the original owner no longer provides the game in question. What is interesting is that one can logically argue that while WoW 7.0 is still WoW, WoW 1.12 is ALSO WoW but is no longer available by the owners choice. Also much of the art assets used in 1.12 has also been abandoned for newer models as WoW has trudged on over the years.

it would be an interesting case, as it would be the first use of the new provisions to prove legality on behalf of non-profit entity for a game that is still in service yet does not provide access to an older version of said service.

so it is not a clear case of IP theft, nor is it a certainty that the Emulated server is legal. Mainly because such an occurrence has not gone to trial under the new DMCA provisions to give legal precedent.

P.S.

It is about greed, Ferrari stops others from making Ferraris' because then they can overprice their product due to brand recognition. Which is fine by the way, Ferrari is a for profit company after all and therefore entirely motivated by greed. . . 
    As Gordon Gecko would say, "greed is Good"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kyleran said:
    sayuu said:
    I dunno.

P.S.

As Gordon Gecko would say, "greed is Good"
    Ah... the old Heidi Fleiss days ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    edited December 2016

Ghavrigg said:

So ...I don't get it. They got shut down once, now starting up again and telling everyone, and expect things not to repeat?

Elysium is based in Russia - Blizzard is going to have an extremely difficult time going after them. My guess is they won't even bother with more than a Cease and Desist letter. That satisfies the attempt to enforce their IP rights so that they don't risk issues down the line. They'll probably just chalk this one up to a minor loss and not make it any bigger than it is.