Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to the Multiplayer Underworld - Hellgate - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageReturning to the Multiplayer Underworld - Hellgate - MMORPG.com

Hellgate News - It appears that a team is making promising headway on a revival of the multiplayer aspect of Hellgate. Since the revelation that such a project was underway earlier this year, the team has made such significant progress to being the multiplayer aspect to life that the first in a series of developer diaries has been published.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Use to love this game, really hope they rework and update some things and try to bring it back.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I was disappointed with HGL.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2016
    I liked it to , And i know they have it on Steam for Greenlight , dont think it got enough votes yet tho.. Doesnt look like it was succesful on Steam maybe why we see this cropping up now , Well hope it works out for them was a fun game
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

I bought this game Boxed from a retail store, Was an OK game  =)

I really enjoyed some of the guns in it, Had fun for my time playing

got to play for a little while until they shut it down, so I wasn't too disappointed with my big Box purchase 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I hope they do a good job with it. My favorite Engineer class in any game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I liked a few classes in this game they were quite a lot of fun to play like the summoner and engineer.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    This is fantastic news. HGL scratches an itch that no other game has been able to reach for me.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I jammed out to HGL while listening to QotSA, it was such a rhythmic cathartic experience. Slaying demons, looting, and Dave Grohl on drums. I still want a never-gonna-happen sequel.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Good luck to them, I hope they can bring it back and find some success.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    The Dev should look into the warframe concept and how they handle F2P.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Funny someone just asked or did not believe there were many games that closed down as MMO's,so happens Hellgate London was one of them.
    I don't know about all these comeback stories,other than perhaps Vanguard,i see these games as failed for a good reason.VG was mostly about buggy complaints,the game itself was actually pretty good but had to compete head on versus EQ1..EQ2 Wow,that is a tough lineup to crack.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2016
    New Character Models New Game Engine would make it a great game again lol. But A F2P Company who doesnt know what to do I dunno about it.
  • kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I too loved this game it was basically Diablo 2 in 3D with some different classes.
    Sad when the original closed down. A decent multi-player version would be awesome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I was an early alpha tester for this game, and it had so much promise!  But they released way way way too early (we tried to warn them, a lot, that it was too early) and pissed off their dedicated fan base.  Without that fan base, they had no chance of surviving long enough to fix all of the problems.  From what I heard they fixed a LOT of those problems, and that it was a pretty good game when they shut down, but I was long gone by then.

If it is F2P then I would love to see the old girl in action again!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    I really love this game. I hope they can bring it back. I really wanna play this again with my firends.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I liked this game when I played it even though I was not very good at it but the costumes were fun and they had a good gallery on the forums and I was very sad it shut down. I bought even the decal or something or dye or something forgotten now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I bought the Lifetime Subscription for Hellgate London since I liked it so much in testing. :( I was very sad when it shut down.

It would be great to see it revived in some form.
  • GurosanGurosan Member UncommonPosts: 24
    HELL YEAH!!! i love this game, was fun as hell playing while blazed as doge on hot summer day ventilation blasting!
    Hope it gets back up and is playable!
  • HellgateRevivalHellgateRevival Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Hey guys,

just chiming in for some clarification, as reading through the comments it seems that's needed.

The project is now named London 2038. It is a fan project and we're not a game or "F2P" company, just some dedicated fans, nor will the game be an F2P title in the common sense.

The game on Steam Greenlight is Hellgate: Global, the F2P port from Hanbit/T3fun. They've put it on there some time after launch but never released it.

The plan is to bring the multiplayer aspect of the original Hellgate: London, not the F2P version released by Hanbit/T3fun, including the Stonehenge Chronicles and the Abyss Chronicles (aka MP2.0 or TCv4) back to life. There won't be any subscriptions or micro transactions, all content and all items will be available for every player. We have no intention to make any profit with this what so ever.

As for hopes for an engine update or more content: anything beyond the "release" of London 2038 has yet to be discussed, there are no real plans on what might and can be added or changed. As stated the goal for now is to make the original MP work.

I hope this helped a little :) If you want to know more check the dev diaries and the FAQ on the forums linked in the article or join our Discord. You can find a link to that in the dev diary.

TheWalkingDerp
    Post edited by HellgateRevival on
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited December 2016
    OMG YEA, i was waiting for so long lol, had maxed guardian on offic server, rly loved "tanking" in HGO
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Nice, I enjoyed this game a lot! I don't imagine it has aged well though.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    love & enjoyed  in  original  MP 
  • DeadAllianceDeadAlliance Member UncommonPosts: 21

I jammed out to HGL while listening to QotSA, it was such a rhythmic cathartic experience. Slaying demons, looting, and Dave Grohl on drums. I still want a never-gonna-happen sequel.

There was a interview with Brevik (CEO of Flagship Studios) where he expressed interest in returning to the world of Hellgate, but only if there was enough demand. I wish for a Hellgate 2 on a modern engine. So many days spent listening to heavy metal and chopping up demons...great fun!
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I would like to see a HellGate 2 as well, maybe based in and titled HellGate: Tokyo or a HellGate: New York or wherever; but ONLY if they leave it in the oven long enough that it is fully cooked on delivery.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!