Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited December 2016

Aori said:

Enjoy your 400ms of free gameplay, dirty leechers.

Oh yeah leechers who paid sub for years and bought all WOW expansion until I decided that I want to try or go back to Vanilla . You have a limited and narrow mind my dear friend !

I've heard Wow Awakening is moving Servers to Europe for legal purposes possible to avoid Blizzard IP owner ship like that ?

Other wise I don't see a good reason to start and all to be Wiped again .
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    rertez said:
    Scorchien said:
    josko9 said:
    It's Blizzard's fault. If they don't want to support free vanilla servers, let others take care of it (they'll do a much better job anyway).

Let's face it, Blizzard is probably the greediest company of the last decade, othervise things would have been way different now. Take a note from Jagex. It's a shame how low this company has fallen, so low they don't even care about their fans anymore.

I have no doubt Nostalrius won't get shut down, well at least not for quite a while (several years). But if for some reason Blizzard actually does sue them, that should turn off quite a lot of Blizzard fans from ever purchasing their products again. Let's not forget how huge was the last outrage concerning Nostalrius when Blizzard threathened to sue them.

Blizzard is looking for their subscribers in the wrong place anyway. Those that they lost, they lost due to Blizzard not providing enough content, poor content, and their rivals designing way better MMOs than WoW ever was. They are at their own fault, yet they are looking for a scape-goat.
      The tiny miniscule amount of people voicing outrage over Nos being shut down was less .001% of there player base , And all there outrage didnt seem to slow down sales one bit ...
      This what happened just after

Overwatch Sales Top Seven Million – ‘One of the Most Successful Global Game Launches of All Time’

and

‘World of Warcraft: Legion’ Sales Hit 3.3 Million On Launch Day

Not all the WoW Legion sales necessarily happened after the Nostalrius team decided to shut down their own service. (It actually wasn't Blizzard nor the company who provided the server hosting that shut the service down.) My guess would be that many of the WoW fans started to buy Legion when pre-sales started since they got a lvl100 boost and other benefits before launch. 3.3 million copies in about ten months is still impressive but I say it's the least we expected from a promising expansion that's pre-purchase period gave buyers instant ingame benefits and early access to its new class besides the promised beta access. Not to mention that the Warcraft movie undoubtedly made some extra hype around the upcoming expansion.
    you miss the point , The Nos crowd had Zero affect on ATVI/Blizz sales ... absolutley Zero, and wont in the future
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    josko9 said:
    It's Blizzard's fault. If they don't want to support free vanilla servers, let others take care of it (they'll do a much better job anyway).

Let's face it, Blizzard is probably the greediest company of the last decade, othervise things would have been way different now. Take a note from Jagex. It's a shame how low this company has fallen, so low they don't even care about their fans anymore.

I have no doubt Nostalrius won't get shut down, well at least not for quite a while (several years). But if for some reason Blizzard actually does sue them, that should turn off quite a lot of Blizzard fans from ever purchasing their products again. Let's not forget how huge was the last outrage concerning Nostalrius when Blizzard threathened to sue them.

Blizzard is looking for their subscribers in the wrong place anyway. Those that they lost, they lost due to Blizzard not providing enough content, poor content, and their rivals designing way better MMOs than WoW ever was. They are at their own fault, yet they are looking for a scape-goat.
    SO is it Zenimax's fault if I decide I'd rather ESO not have any fees associated with; so I offered a server with all content (cash shop items as well) and required no box fee to access it? Would they be responsible for my actions?

Nostalrius has begged over and over for the ability to pay Blizzard for an official vanilla server. In fact there was a petition from a former Blizzard Employee with over 200k+ people that signed for it. They shut down their server in compliance to blizzard hoping they could arrange for that dream to happen. It didn't happen. Blizzard made the poor excuse that it was "impossible" or it would "not be able to be polished." so Nostalrius did what they felt they had to do in order to provide the vanilla community a place to stay and play. 

It's not the same as launching a private ESO server that is exactly the same as the retail one. That's not what Nostalrius is doing. They are catering to the vanilla players the only way they can at the moment. Their dream is for Blizzard to launch an retail version but until that happens this is the only step they can take. 
    But it's okay to pirate ESO or any other mmo that doesn't offer the experience I want. So if I want to offer a vanilla experience of ESO then that's my right?

How about those indies? Say I don't like how Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, or Pantheon configure their rulesets then it's okay for me to steal their work and offer a pirate server?

When is it okay to do this? When I rationalize my entitlement. Talk about subjective inconsistent application of the rules.

It's a non-profit and WoW is losing absolutely nothing from this. In fact if it's successful it will be a reminder for Blizzard that it's something they could work toward instead. Think of it as more of a suggestion for Blizzard if it is actually successful in terms of player population. Jagex did it, they formed the oldschool version of their game and it just so happens to be more popular than the "updated" one. Think on that! 

I am not here to say that private servers are okay and everybody should have one. In fact, I'm hugely biased by the fact that I enjoy Vanilla so much and it's come clear now that quite a few people do too. It's no secret that WoW has changed over the years, drastically so. In the eyes of many it isn't the same game that they enjoyed themselves in. It's easy to say this is illegal just go buy our current product. That's legal so???

But in the few ways a consumer can object a product's direction is by not buying it. It's the clearest and most effective way to get your message across if it is done with numbers that actually cause a dent. However, Blizzard-Activision is one of the most wealthiest gaming companies to date so it's incredibly hard to have a say when their advertisement and connections excel in such ways that they can garner new consumers with ease. 

The vanilla community for the larger margin have abandoned WoW years ago and new members have replaced them so naturally Blizzard's focus has long been shifted after their direction changed to cater to newer consumers. Vanilla players can't really have a say because they've all ready let go of their sub years ago. (For the large part there are plenty of oldtimers in current WoW) this server is the only way these players can go back to their old game and enjoy it. I keep my sub on WoW despite not playing retail inhomage to their product but it is a product they long abandoned and have replaced for a different type of consumer.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Scorchien said:
    rertez said:
    Scorchien said:
    josko9 said:

The tiny miniscule amount of people voicing outrage over Nos being shut down was less .001% of there player base , And all there outrage didnt seem to slow down sales one bit ...
      This what happened just after

Overwatch Sales Top Seven Million – ‘One of the Most Successful Global Game Launches of All Time’

and

‘World of Warcraft: Legion’ Sales Hit 3.3 Million On Launch Day

Not all the WoW Legion sales necessarily happened after the Nostalrius team decided to shut down their own service. (It actually wasn't Blizzard nor the company who provided the server hosting that shut the service down.) My guess would be that many of the WoW fans started to buy Legion when pre-sales started since they got a lvl100 boost and other benefits before launch. 3.3 million copies in about ten months is still impressive but I say it's the least we expected from a promising expansion that's pre-purchase period gave buyers instant ingame benefits and early access to its new class besides the promised beta access. Not to mention that the Warcraft movie undoubtedly made some extra hype around the upcoming expansion.
    you miss the point , The Nos crowd had Zero affect on ATVI/Blizz sales ... absolutley Zero, and wont in the future
    I think it contradicts the fact that ATVI decided to sit down to negotiate with these so called criminals just to ease the public pressure they felt at the time when the legacy server issue got bigger than they expected. I'm not on either sides but these huge companies rarely make last resort steps like that.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Could've been sympathetic, but when these pricks decided to throw a hissy-fit and release their server code because Blizzard didn't immediately kowtow to them and a small portion of the community, they lost what little moral 'high ground' they may have had in the first place.

Nostalrius / Elysium staff are a bunch of whiny, entitled thieves, and I hope this gets shut down quickly.

As an aside, I think it's pathetic how some people can sit there with a (presumably) straight face and call Blizzard greedy for defending what's theirs. I suppose it's easy to do when you've never created anything worthwhile in your own life though.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

edited December 2016
    Could've been sympathetic, but when these pricks decided to throw a hissy-fit and release their server code because Blizzard didn't immediately kowtow to them and a small portion of the community, they lost what little moral 'high ground' they may have had in the first place.

Nostalrius / Elysium staff are a bunch of whiny, entitled thieves, and I hope this gets shut down quickly.

As an aside, I think it's pathetic how some people can sit there with a (presumably) straight face and call Blizzard greedy for defending what's theirs. I suppose it's easy to do when you've never created anything worthwhile in your own life though.

And make no mistake about it , the ones yelling the loudest at how justified they are to steal Blizz work , would also be the same people yelling the loudest if they ever did create something of there own (book,song, game,etc..) and people started stealing it...
  • zigalucardzigalucard Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Oh yeah leechers who paid sub for years and bought all WOW expansion until I decided that I want to try or go back to Vanilla . You have a limited and narrow mind my dear friend !

I've heard Wow Awakening is moving Servers to Europe for legal purposes possible to avoid Blizzard IP owner ship like that ?

Just because I was loyal to my local grocery store for 10 years doesn't mean I can just walk in and help myself what I want at no cost.

You're stealing, there is no justification for your actions, you're a criminal.
    A better analogy is that the grocery store changed all their shit around and implemented new policies that pissed a lot of customers off. So the customers cloned the store as it was before and opened it right next door for free. A thieving criminal, perhaps, but so was Robin Hood.
    Except its not a clone, its using all of blizzards original IP and calling it your own.
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Really excited about this. I'm gonna be rolling on their fresh server!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

A much deeper and real problem then some stupid video game IP
    GMOS and vaccines are safe.  Monsanto isn't the evil corporation all the yuppie "organic" idiots believe it to be.  But thanks for showing your ignorance.
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Just because I was loyal to my local grocery store for 10 years doesn't mean I can just walk in and help myself what I want at no cost.

A better analogy is that the grocery store changed all their shit around and implemented new policies that pissed a lot of customers off. So the customers cloned the store as it was before and opened it right next door for free. A thieving criminal, perhaps, but so was Robin Hood.
    Robin Hood stealing from the rich to help the poor isn't the same as a bunch of entitled whiny gamers not getting their way so they decide to steal what they want.  
  • RemussRemuss Member UncommonPosts: 4
    They won't get shut down this time, things are being handled different and by different administrators. Concerning the comments about Nostalrius and their players being thiefs... Are we really the thiefs? I bought a game in 2005, I can't play that game anymore. You can't just use the old discs, the game is changed forever. It works with Diablo 2 and many other games, but not WoW. Blizzard also won't let a shit storm similar to the last one happen again. The server will be running till Blizzard announce legacy servers themselves. I don't understand why people are so against it. If you enjoy legion keep playing, it's just a matter of preference.
    Remuss said:
    They won't get shut down this time, things are being handled different and by different administrators. Concerning the comments about Nostalrius and their players being thiefs... Are we really the thiefs? I bought a game in 2005, I can't play that game anymore. You can't just use the old discs, the game is changed forever. It works with Diablo 2 and many other games, but not WoW. Blizzard also won't let a shit storm similar to the last one happen again. The server will be running till Blizzard announce legacy servers themselves. I don't understand why people are so against it. If you enjoy legion keep playing, it's just a matter of preference.
    I think you might be missing the fact that some of the people complaining about this theft are programmers and might even be involved in the making of video games.  They have first hand experience of entitled and pretentious children stealing their work and sympathize with Blizzard.  Also, when you bought the game in 2005 you also signed and agreed to Blizzards terms.  Part of those terms are that you can't steal their original work. 
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The simplest solution was to always have the servers hosted in Vanuatu or Mauritania or some other country where it is literally impossible to sue.

laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

Strange comparison coming from you LAser , you usually make sense and i know you are a business man , But are you forgetting tht ATVI/Blizz is publicly owned and its not just a stupid game IP as hundreds of thousands of folks (me included) have invested there future into the stupid game ip with there retirement fund etc ..
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Robin Hood stealing from the rich to help the poor isn't the same as a bunch of entitled whiny gamers not getting their way so they decide to steal what they want.  

No, no it's not the same.

Thieving criminals that commit acts that benefit thousands of others while putting themselves in danger and personally gaining nothing - it's not so bad.

This is how revolutions start. Maybe if we had more people like this, companies would stop doing stupid shit to line their pockets.
    ATVI is pubicly owned Blizz has investors to answer to , they are not lining there pockets , as much as increasing revenue for there investors , and protecting those investments ...
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Thieving criminals that commit acts that benefit thousands of others while putting themselves in danger and personally gaining nothing - it's not so bad. Hell, the statement alone is worth more than a vanilla WoW server.

This is how revolutions start. Maybe if we had more people like this, companies would stop doing stupid shit to line their pockets.
    Revolutions for a video game?  You need to get some perspective and fast.  This isn't a right being with held or a ethnic group that is being terrorized by it's own government.  This is the problem with the west, we have no great tragedy in our daily lives so we make up causes that don't exist. What's next?  Arby's doens't give you 4 napkins, but instead they give you only 3!  Better get on facebook and start a REVOLUTION!
  • CeironxCeironx Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited December 2016
    Deekins said:
    Yes, this will turn out better than before. Time for Blizzard's lawyer team to get ready for a suing.

To add to that. Before someone spouting off about how they reversed engineered the code and made it their own or whatever. They are using WoW name, characters, and every other thing in it. That is theft of an IP. Just because they didn't use their code doesn't mean they didn't steal.

Time for Blizzard to make an example of these idiots. As someone pointed out, they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed since they are just repeating the same thing again.
    You realise most, especially asian, gaming companies copy and paste from other games.
    I'm sure you do or did aswell atleast once in your life. Copying documents on the internet, changing its words and eventually showing it to your teacher.  Heck today all essays work like that. You just copy and paste the content but use different words.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

Strange comparison coming from you LAser , you usually make sense and i know you are a business man , But are you forgetting tht ATVI/Blizz is publicly owned and its not just a stupid game IP as hundreds of thousands of folks (me included) have invested there future into the stupid game ip with there retirement fund etc ..
    I'm not commenting on the Blizz vs Nost thing here. I'm criticizing  the tactic of keeping someone in the courts and winning a case through attrition without ever actually arguing the merits of the actual case.

laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

GMOS and vaccines are safe.  Monsanto isn't the evil corporation all the yuppie "organic" idiots believe it to be.  But thanks for showing your ignorance.
    My comment is about criticizing their legal tactics not their products.

Countries having their own seed banks inside of retired mine shafts helps me sleep better at night.

Your welcome ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    gonna give a shot. never played private server. best pvp moments i had wow was old AV in vanilla.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Phry said:

There is always the possibility that Blizzard has given them 'unofficial' permission to host a vanilla server, at least i hope so, as the alternative is that Blizzard is likely to start legal proceedings against individuals involved in the 'illegal' server, after all, they know who they are and where they live, and given that they have already been served once with a cease and desist, a successful prosecution could result in custodial sentences for those involved, which is not a good thing to be on their resume's should they be considering gainful employment at a future date. O.o

That was my first thought as well, but when they released the source code it was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016
    Aeander said:

That's a disgusting analogy. These are people directly using Blizzard's IP, art, gameplay, and source code. Blizzard has every right to take legal action, especially if the private server is for-profit.

This is not fair use. And the actual corruption of law would be that which is used to justify this.
    Don't disagree with your point in a general sense but I think we have to assume that those behind this know what they are doing. And that they must anticipate a legal response from Blizzard. So what is the score?
    • All agree that Blizzard own the IP I hope. 
    • And that the server code has been independently developed.
    • People running it are not making any money.
    • Nor are the people running the servers "using" the IP - it is the players using the IP.
    So the people profiting will be the players. Playing the game without paying Blizzard.

I think this could result in two lines of "viable" legal attack - there could be others obviously.
    • First that Blizzard are suffering financially - people playing without paying. If they all "testified" that they had no intent to subscribe to WoW this might fail - suspect not - but it would facilitate the ...
    • Second line of attack against the individuals. Which would put us in the realms of e.g. people downloading films etc.  And for this Blizzard would want the names of all the players - which could potentially result in a(nother) internet user privacy battle case

Wonder whether users will be anonymous? Are masked IPs going to be used? I think it will be a certainty that those using the service accept some probably limited liability to "underwrite" the folks operating the server.  

I wonder what would happen if Blizzard offer to "licence" the server - with the players paying Blizzard directly. And having to accept that Blizzard were not providing the service just the rights to the IP. (And I am assuming here that the Blizzard no longer offer a vanilla server experience - if that argument is made - fails.)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Blizzard could always open a P2P or F2P vanilla server and make a fortune off the cast shop.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

I'm not commenting on the Blizz vs Nost thing here. I'm criticizing  the tactic of keeping someone in the courts and winning a case through attrition without ever actually arguing the merits of the actual case.

laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

My comment is about criticizing their legal tactics not their products.

Countries having their own seed banks inside of retired mine shafts helps me sleep better at night.

Your welcome ;)
      ahh ... but its not some stupid game ip... you take that back :)
    edited December 2016
    Ceironx said:
    Deekins said:
    Yes, this will turn out better than before. Time for Blizzard's lawyer team to get ready for a suing.

To add to that. Before someone spouting off about how they reversed engineered the code and made it their own or whatever. They are using WoW name, characters, and every other thing in it. That is theft of an IP. Just because they didn't use their code doesn't mean they didn't steal.

Time for Blizzard to make an example of these idiots. As someone pointed out, they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed since they are just repeating the same thing again.
    You realise most, especially asian, gaming companies copy and paste from other games.
    I'm sure you do or did aswell atleast once in your life. Copying documents on the internet, changing its words and eventually showing it to your teacher.  Heck today all essays work like that. You just copy and paste the content but use different words.
    So in your eyes plagiarizing an essay for your high school class is the same as someone stealing the work of a company that spent millions of dollars creating said software?  You're adorable.
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Thieving criminals that commit acts that benefit thousands of others while putting themselves in danger and personally gaining nothing - it's not so bad. Hell, the statement alone is worth more than a vanilla WoW server.

Revolutions for a video game?  You need to get some perspective and fast.  This isn't a right being with held or a ethnic group that is being terrorized by it's own government.  This is the problem with the west, we have no great tragedy in our daily lives so we make up causes that don't exist. What's next?  Arby's doens't give you 4 napkins, but instead they give you only 3!  Better get on facebook and start a REVOLUTION!
    Are you serious? It was in reference to bringing much needed change.

You're downplaying the importance and uprising over a video-game, but yet you call for some sort of immediate legal action against the same subject.

You're flexible enough to put your foot in your mouth and your head up your ass all in the same post.
    Considering that legal action is within their rights and your idea of a revolution for a video game is ridiculous.  I'd say you sir are the one with your head up your ass.  How do you even type in this thread with it up there?  I'm impressed.