Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice

AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
Hello

So i am buying a new computer later today i have already picked all the parts and saved a quote just wanted some last minute advice snd didn't know where to ask but here, I think i have made the right choices but you never know and seeing as i am having this built for me and know nothing about computer building i wouldn't be able to change anything myself once it's built.

I will be gaming in 1080p and i only play MMORPG's but when i look for benchmarks no one seems to do benchamrks for these game, I am currently playing final fantasy XIV will the 1060 6gb graphics card be enough to play MMORPG's on max setting ?

If it helps i will show you the rest of my computer build my copying the quote below.

K318 - Corsair Obsidian 450D
CPU:A413 - Intel® Core™ i7 6700
CPU Cooler:B106 - Cooler Master Hyper 212x
RAM:C410 - 16GB Corsair 3000mhz Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8GB)
Graphics card:D132 - NEW! NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB
Motherboard:E412 - Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
Operating System:F105 - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Hard Drive:G409 - Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
Optical Drive:H104 - 12x Blu-Ray Combo S-ATA
PSU:K603 - 450W Corsair VS
Sound Card:Q302 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Warranty:sw1 - 5 Year Silver Warranty
Priority turnaround:PD202 - Dispatched within 5 working days

Thanks Anna




Comments

  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Should do just fine for what you're trying to do, I would seriously suggest a different power supply. Power consumption too low and will not function properly/burn out. 800w should do the trick generally, double check with the graphics card specs for recommended wattage.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Should do just fine for what you're trying to do, I would seriously suggest a different power supply. Power consumption too low and will not function properly/burn out. 800w should do the trick generally, double check with the graphics card specs for recommended wattage.
    Thanks for the reply but i checked on google and it says recommended power supply 400 watts for the gtx 1060 and i'm not over clocking that's why i picked the i7 6700.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It looks pretty good, but do you really need an optical drive today?

    Also, why just go for 1080p? That rig will run both 2K and 4K fine. If we are talking around 27" 2K is a huge difference, 4K not so much. 30" or larger and 4K is the best choice. 4K can be pretty expensive with G-sync but you can actually get a good 2K screen pretty cheap. If you want 24" or less due to limited space just ignore this suggestion.

    A 2K screen is not that expensive and a good upgrade, but of course nothing you need right now and easy to get later.

    Another thing is to get a good keyboard, trust me, you want a mechanical one if you can afford it, it is way better when you play MMOs for a marathon session.

    The warranty is probably longer then you actually need, a computer older then 3 years need some serious upgrading and that void many warranties. Check up if you can upgrade the GFX card or if that voids it.

    And don't worry about GFX card upgrading, it is very simple and there are many guides on the 'net. It usually takes a minute and most of the time is to open and close the box.

    Possibly additions: A large media drive (a cheap regular harddrive) is far more useful then an optical drive if you keep music, movies or similar on the computer. 2-3TBs is cheap and it never hurts to have enough drive space, you don't want to install MMOs or FPS games on it though, but games like CIV and AoW3 wont be much difference.

    Also a 1070 GFX card would last you a year longer, it is sadly $200 more but it is at least worth a consideration.

    Anyways, good luck. :D
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited November 2016
    Loke666 said:
    It looks pretty good, but do you really need an optical drive today?

    Also, why just go for 1080p? That rig will run both 2K and 4K fine. If we are talking around 27" 2K is a huge difference, 4K not so much. 30" or larger and 4K is the best choice. 4K can be pretty expensive with G-sync but you can actually get a good 2K screen pretty cheap. If you want 24" or less due to limited space just ignore this suggestion.

    A 2K screen is not that expensive and a good upgrade, but of course nothing you need right now and easy to get later.

    Another thing is to get a good keyboard, trust me, you want a mechanical one if you can afford it, it is way better when you play MMOs for a marathon session.

    The warranty is probably longer then you actually need, a computer older then 3 years need some serious upgrading and that void many warranties. Check up if you can upgrade the GFX card or if that voids it.

    And don't worry about GFX card upgrading, it is very simple and there are many guides on the 'net. It usually takes a minute and most of the time is to open and close the box.

    Possibly additions: A large media drive (a cheap regular harddrive) is far more useful then an optical drive if you keep music, movies or similar on the computer. 2-3TBs is cheap and it never hurts to have enough drive space, you don't want to install MMOs or FPS games on it though, but games like CIV and AoW3 wont be much difference.

    Also a 1070 GFX card would last you a year longer, it is sadly $200 more but it is at least worth a consideration.

    Anyways, good luck. :D
    All the PC's come with 5 year warranty the silver warranty comes with a surge protecter and internet security that's only reason why i picked it, this is where i am getting my PC from it's where i got my last PC built 3 years ago https://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/home.asp.

    The reason why i am gaming in 1080p because i just bought a monitor just a couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about reducing the size of the HDD to a 500G SSD and upgrading the graphics card to 1070 but i  do love to have films and TV shows stored on PC so i can watch them again, I have a 1TB HDD now and only have 288GB storage left it was less but i dleted some stuff a few weeks back.

    Why will a GTX 1070 last a year longer and it will it not just be a waste of extra money if i'm only gaming in 1080p  ?

    I don't really play any other PC games and i'm only playing Final Fantasy XIV at the moment and i only play MMORPG's now.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    AnnaTS said:
    Should do just fine for what you're trying to do, I would seriously suggest a different power supply. Power consumption too low and will not function properly/burn out. 800w should do the trick generally, double check with the graphics card specs for recommended wattage.
    Thanks for the reply but i checked on google and it says recommended power supply 400 watts for the gtx 1060 and i'm not over clocking that's why i picked the i7 6700.
    Good deal, consumption is getting better these days, faster than I can keep up. Not too long ago no graphics card would run on a less than 500w supply. Enjoy your purchases!
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546


    Should answer your "why" for a 1070 over a 1060. I don't like their shameless advertising, but topically correct. 
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600


    Should answer your "why" for a 1070 over a 1060. I don't like their shameless advertising, but topically correct. 
    This video came up when i was searching yesterday on youtube for benchmarks and reviews for the parts i had picked but i didn't watch it, The card i picked does come in 2 different options one with 3gb's and one with 6gb's but i just decided to go with the 6gb one because it was just roughly £60 more.

    My head is hurting right now i just wanted to make sure i was making the right decision because once it's built i won't be able to change anything because i don't know how too and it's quite a bit of money i am spending, I'm just waiting for some money to go into my bank this afternoon then i am ordering it.

    If i could build it myself i would have, I just don't want the hassle of buying the stuff then trying to put it together and if something doesn't work then having to send it back so i just get it built for me.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,078
    Let's slow down a bit.  Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket.

    Whether something is reasonable to buy depends tremendously on the prices.  For example, that video card is a great deal at $200 but completely ridiculous at $400.  Where are you planning to buy it and what prices do they offer?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Quizzical said:
    Let's slow down a bit.  Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket.

    Whether something is reasonable to buy depends tremendously on the prices.  For example, that video card is a great deal at $200 but completely ridiculous at $400.  Where are you planning to buy it and what prices do they offer?
    Agreed.  What is this going to cost you?  Also if you went with the 500gb hd and upgrade to the 1070.  You can always get an external hdd later and keep all your movies on that. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited November 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Let's slow down a bit.  Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket.

    Whether something is reasonable to buy depends tremendously on the prices.  For example, that video card is a great deal at $200 but completely ridiculous at $400.  Where are you planning to buy it and what prices do they offer?
    I'm only ordering my PC from one place which is the same place i got my last PC built because i know i can tust them, I haven't had a problem with the PC at all and it's still running now i just want to upgrade and get a new one while i have the money.

    This is all the parts i am ordering and it comes to £1549.90

    K318 - Corsair Obsidian 450D
    CPU:A413 - Intel® Core™ i7 6700
    CPU Cooler:B106 - Cooler Master Hyper 212x
    RAM:C410 - 16GB Corsair 3000mhz Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8GB)
    Graphics card:D132 - NEW! NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB
    Motherboard:E412 - Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
    Operating System:F105 - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
    Hard Drive:G409 - Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
    Optical Drive:H104 - 12x Blu-Ray Combo S-ATA
    PSU:K603 - 450W Corsair VS
    Sound Card:Q302 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
    Warranty:sw1 - 5 Year Silver Warranty
    Priority turnaround:PD202 - Dispatched within 5 working days

    I checked to see how much i will be paying for the graphics card on it's own and for the 6gb gtx 1060 it costs £261.49, you can do this by not selecting a graphics card and then seeing how much it would cost.

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited November 2016
    That is not a bad price.  You can save 500$ if you replace SSD with HDD.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS4F36641


    You could also get the gtx 1070 for 250$ cheaper but you have to downgrade to the HDD.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS4F68372

    Or you can have the gtx 1080 for the same price but you still have to get the HDD instead.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS4F36747


    Be carefull those pictures show cd drive but they don't have them in the specs.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,057
    edited November 2016
    That build will run most every MMO at 1080 at max. There are a few expections that it won't be able to, but those exceptions are the same ones that no computer can run at max (EQ2 comes to mind, or pretty well any MMO when you get 200+ people together at once).

    450W is more than enough for that since you aren't overclocking. I have a 400W Seasonic in my build, and it's drawing more power than your computer will. That being said, I wouldn't downsize your PSU either.

    My only recommendation: Drop from the i7 6700 to the i5 6600, and evaluate if you really need the BD or not (that's your call, I haven't used an internal optical drive in years now personally). The CPU swap, you won't notice the difference at all at 1080 in MMOs, and it will likely save you $100-150 (which you could either pocket, or dump back into the computer, adding more storage, new or second monitor, or something else nice)

    I won't comment on the price, except to say if your comfortable with that budget, then that's all that matters.
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,411
    AnnaTS said:

    Warranty:sw1 - 5 Year Silver Warranty

    It looks like that means you'll get 2 year warranty. Afterwards the warranty is 3 more years for work done by DinoPC but not for the parts they sold you, so it's really useless warranty. You should think that warranty equal to a 2 year warranty.


    AnnaTS said:

    Motherboard:E412 - Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
    That's horribly expensive choice of motherboard. Is there anything you need that wouldn't also be on cheapest Z170 motherboard on that store?

    AnnaTS said:

     I was thinking about reducing the size of the HDD to a 500G SSD and upgrading the graphics card to 1070 but i  do love to have films and TV shows stored on PC so i can watch them again, I have a 1TB HDD now and only have 288GB storage left it was less but i dleted some stuff a few weeks back.
    At the price of 1TB SSD you could instead get 500GB SSD and 4 TB secondary hard drive for film + TV show storage.

    SSD is really good, and you should definitely get SSD for holding your operating system + programs + games, but SSD space is so expensive that if you want to store hundreds of gigabytes of TV shows it's better to have a normal hard disk for storing them.
     
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,057
    filmoret said:
    That is not a bad price.  You can save 500$ if you replace SSD with HDD.

    Oh whatever you do, do not get a new computer without an SSD. Having no SSD is the worst advice anyone could possibly give today. That doesn't mean you necessarily need to go ~all~ SSD,  but your boot drive at the least absolutely should
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited November 2016
    Ok after looking at the benchmarks for the gtx 1060 6gb again on youtube i decided to go with that card i think it should be more than enough for what i play, I don't play games like witcher and at the moment i am only playing Final Fantasy XIV, I just wanted to be able to play it on max settings at 1080p  without my computer turning itself off which the one i have now does .

    I did change my order a bit and got the price down i decided to go with a 500GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD i just hope i can install windows on the right one.

    The last time i ordered a PC from them i got all the discs and i had to loads the windows on myself, It should arrive in the next 5 days because i paid a bit extra to get it built in 5 days.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    AnnaTS said:
    Ok after looking at the benchmarks for the gtx 1060 6gb again on youtube i decided to go with that card i think it should be more than enough for what i play, I don't play games like witcher and at the moment i am only playing Final Fantasy XIV, I just wanted to be able to play it on max settings at 1080p  without my computer turning itself off which the one i have now does .

    I did change my order a bit and got the price down i decided to go with a 500GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD i just hope i can install windows on the right one.

    The last time i ordered a PC from them i got all the discs and i had to loads the windows on myself, It should arrive in the next 5 days because i paid a bit extra to get it built in 5 days.
    That is very easy and if you have install issues you can always PM me (probably Quizz as well if you ask him).

    And getting the discs is worth the hassle, it sucks that so many new computers lack them. Usually when you need the discs you can't download them from microsoft and burn them since you lack a working computer.

    I think getting the I7 BTW is a good choice, MMOs tend to be CPU heavy after all and it is far easier to upgrade the GFX card in a couple of years then the CPU.

    And if you find that you need a lot more harddrive space you can always get an icebox or a slot drive, your build have 2 E-sata ports so you can use that to run external harddrives on them at normal speed instead of slow USB ports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Well my PC arrived it came packaged differently than last time they had filled the middle of the pc with some bubble wrap, It also came with windows already installed which i was happy with because i was worried if i could get windows onto the SSD and not the HDD.

    I like the case it's really nice i only wanted something that was plain black and nothing fancy and could have an optical drive, The CPU cooler looks really big nearly the size of a brick i'm starting to think maybe it's one people use when overclocking which i'm not but what ever aslong as it keeps the CPU cool i suppose that's all that matters.

    I haven't done much gaming but i did that unigine heaven benchmark test thing just the basic edition i will post the results i got below but i noticed my GPU temp never went above 66.

    file:///C:/Users/Anna's%20PC/Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20161205_1938.html

    I did do more searching on youtube while i was waiting for my PC and all benchmarks i had looked at previosuly were comparing the GTX 1060 to the AMD RX 480 but i came accross some that compared it the GTX 970 and GTX 980.

    It seems that it was a good time for me to upgrade because i had in my other PC a GTX 760 but it seems that the GTX 1060 can out perform a GTX 970 and sometimes the GTX 980.



  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea the gtx 970,980 are powerhouses.  They are both stronger then the 1060 but you also have to pay for it.  The advantage from the 1060 is the Directx 12/vulkan support.  Which only applies to brand new games.  The RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are about the same when it comes to performance.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
Sign In or Register to comment.