Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    toolak said:
    Anyway regardless of legal issues, this article is as biased as something on Fox news or Yahoo. "Pirate" "perceived" 'owners' come on Susie, I know you love WoW but you should be above this. The Elysium team is totally different than the Nost team. Nost was never a pirate server they did everything out in the open for YEARS before Blizzard ever spoke up. You and I have no idea what went on in the meetings so maybe they didn't "percieve" anything but we're actually told something. I come here for straight news on games and honest content, not this biased junk.
    toolak said:
    Anyway regardless of legal issues, this article is as biased as something on Fox news or Yahoo. "Pirate" "perceived" 'owners' come on Susie, I know you love WoW but you should be above this. The Elysium team is totally different than the Nost team. Nost was never a pirate server they did everything out in the open for YEARS before Blizzard ever spoke up. You and I have no idea what went on in the meetings so maybe they didn't "percieve" anything but we're actually told something. I come here for straight news on games and honest content, not this biased junk.
    Hmm, the poster in the Reddit thread states some  people formerly associated with Nost are supporting this new server.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited December 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

A much deeper and real problem then some stupid video game IP

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Sovrath said:

So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...

Blizzard can't do nothing,

Great, why don't you enlighten us.

For some reason I feel like you read just that part of my comment and perceived my comment as hostile and what's more for some reason you also felt insulted by it and felt the need to even respond....

Well enlightened you shalt be.
    1st. The servers are located in Russia as far as I know.
    2nd. DMCA isn't a law that is entirely accepted in the whole world. Just because it's an important law in NA it doesn't mean that each country on this planet have it and care for it.
    DMCA complains in Russia get thrown in the bin. Lawsuit of any type from FR/NA against the server that is located in Russia gets thrown in the bin. Unless the infringed product is Russian, Russian law won't care for it.
    3rd. That's my guess, but I believe that the people that work on the server are from Russia and as such any lawsuits against them will (refer to point 2 above)... get thrown in the bin.

The only thing that Blizzard can possible do is actually sue all the players that will play on the server, if they can somehow find out their identity and of course if they are in NA, because they won't be able to do anything to EU/Asia etc... players.

There is another thing they can do, but that requires a lot more explaining. In short it will take YEARS before they manage to get any result and best case scenario is probably that after few years they will just manage to shut down the server and that's all. There won't be any monatary loses for the Elysium team.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:
    So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...
    lmfao.. he said Blizzard........... "Blizzard can't do nothing"...............with a straight face
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited December 2016
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

Hey, don't yell at me, I'm not the one making America great again.... 

On a serious note, I'm not saying it's right, but these are, also, hardly the hard working, honest people that are being screwed. Wouldn't hurt to use a broken system for good for once. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited December 2016
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

That's a disgusting analogy. These are people directly using Blizzard's IP, art, gameplay, and source code. Blizzard has every right to take legal action, especially if the private server is for-profit.

This is not fair use. And the actual corruption of law would be that which is used to justify this.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Has anyone here read or is legally familiar with copyright and IP law?  There maybe conquences to Blizzard/Actvision if they don't act on this case. Like if the come across a really agreious use of their IP that their inaction in this case may make future action hard or even impossible. (About one the only things I DON'T LIKE about my country's copyright rules/law is the DAMN extensions these f'in shill in congress give corps)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

For some reason I feel like you read just that part of my comment and perceived my comment as hostile and what's more for some reason you also felt insulted by it and felt the need to even respond....

Not at all, not insulted and I generally wanted to know as people often say stuff like that without any explanation.

In any case, an explanation was given above and it made sense. I strongly suspect that Blizzard might find more cooperation in Europe. (I also wonder what legal protections they would have if they incorporated in Europe (if that's possible)

Russia on the other hand ...
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Scorchien said:

Sovrath said:

lmfao.. he said Blizzard........... "Blizzard can't do nothing"...............with a straight face

Not sure if you are making fun on my grammar mistake(Blizzard can't do *anything) or you mean that Blizzard is a giant that can ignore laws?

If it's the 1st... well English isn't my first language, so it's normal to make such a mistaken especially when in my mother tongue it's a double negative(strange I know, but it sounds different in my launguage)

If it's the 2nd... No amount of money from an NA gaming company would allow it to have any effect on Russian law. You should be aware of how "friendly" Russia is to some particular countries.

Again just to clarify... DMCA works only in countries that have that law(not some type of a hybrid version of it, but the original DMCA law) and Russia isn't one such country. So even if not Blizzard, but USA took legal action the situation won't change.
    As I said sadly often the law isn't in the favor of the one that is right.

P.S. For some reason it feels like anyone that is from NA just reads that part of my whole comment and thinks I'm supporting wholeheartedly this private server... Didn't you read the rest of my comment where I clearly state that I don't plan on playing on this or any other private server because I don't support such servers...

What's wrong with people just reading 1 sentence and getting all hostile.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited December 2016
    Sovrath said:

Not at all, not insulted and I generally wanted to know as people often say stuff like that without any explanation.

In any case, an explanation was given above and it made sense. I strongly suspect that Blizzard might find more cooperation in Europe. (I also wonder what legal protections they would have if they incorporated in Europe (if that's possible)

Russia is the sort of place where if you pay the right people "bad things can happen" to other people.

What? I was talking about attorneys. ;)

Of course I was.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Scorchien said:

Sovrath said:

Not sure if you are making fun on my grammar mistake(Blizzard can't do *anything) or you mean that Blizzard is a giant that can ignore laws?

If it's the 1st... well English isn't my first language, so it's normal to make such a mistaken especially when in my mother tongue it's a double negative(strange I know, but it sounds different in my launguage)

If it's the 2nd... No amount of money from an NA gaming company would allow it to have any effect on Russian law. You should be aware of how "friendly" Russia is to some particular countries.

Again just to clarify... DMCA works only in countries that have that law(not some type of a hybrid version of it, but the original DMCA law) and Russia isn't one such country. So even if not Blizzard, but USA took legal action the situation won't change.
    As I said sadly often the law isn't in the favor of the one that is right.

P.S. For some reason it feels like anyone that is from NA just reads that part of my whole comment and thinks I'm supporting wholeheartedly this private server... Didn't you read the rest of my comment where I clearly state that I don't plan on playing on this or any other private server because I don't support such servers...

What's wrong with people just reading 1 sentence and getting all hostile.

I do wonder, though, in these areas where laws like this don't apply, I wonder if Blizzard could simply do nasty things like create bots, etc. to severely hamper their ability to operate. Or would the North American law still apply to them? It wouldn't TECHNICALLY be a DDOS to pepper their servers with a never-ending stream of bots, would it? And I mean Blizz, theoretically, has an unlimited supply of licenses. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2016

Sovrath said:

By incorporated do you mean the DMCA law? If you mean that then I can tell you for sure that most of the countries in EU have that law(even my country have it), but only few countries comply to the fullest with it. As you know each country have different laws and in different countries there are some laws that contradict certain parts of the DMCA law and that's why it gets quite complicated in some cases.

Blizzard's official EU "branch(not sure if it's a branch or a different company as a whole) is located in France and the Nost team if my memory servers me right were from France as well and their servers were in France and that's why it was fairly easy for Blizzard to "scare" them, however Russia is a whole different ball game.

As @Kyleran said Russia is the sort of place that paying the right people can definitely solve your problems, BUT the problem Blizzard will face here is that it's a company from NA. At this point it slightly turns political for Russia and that's why I believe that things get a lot harder.

Also I want to apologize for misunderstand you. Generally when you read enough comments on the WWW you tend to start feeling like everyone is trying to insult you and it doesn't help that on daily besis I have to converse for hours with such people :) P.S. @CrazKanuk I believe that Blizzard can do that and I don't think that Elysium will be able to do anything in response, but I don't think Blizzard would do it because if it gets exposed the PR Blizzard would get from this will be really negative and they will probably lose more than they would gain.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I hope it gets shut down, and the developers are held legally accountable. I wish there were a legal way for players to enjoy Vanilla again. My sentiment does not excuse private server developers blatantly infringing on Blizzard's IP though. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Aeander said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

That's a disgusting analogy. These are people directly using Blizzard's IP, art, gameplay, and source code. Blizzard has every right to take legal action, especially if the private server is for-profit.

This is not fair use. And the actual corruption of law would be that which is used to justify this.
    It's not an anology, it's what actually goes on and its what is "disgusting"

Cases should be fought on *merit* alone and not by how big or small one's pocket book is. That is whats called "justice"

My comment was aimed solely at the prescribed tactic not at Blizzard vs Nostalrius

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Why is MMORPG allowing this conversation about a illegal server to go on?
    Horusra said:
    Why is MMORPG allowing this conversation about a illegal server to go on?
    Even better question is why did they post the article in violation of there own rules
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    It's Blizzard's fault. If they don't want to support free vanilla servers, let others take care of it (they'll do a much better job anyway).

Let's face it, Blizzard is probably the greediest company of the last decade, othervise things would have been way different now. Take a note from Jagex. It's a shame how low this company has fallen, so low they don't even care about their fans anymore.

I have no doubt Nostalrius won't get shut down, well at least not for quite a while (several years). But if for some reason Blizzard actually does sue them, that should turn off quite a lot of Blizzard fans from ever purchasing their products again. Let's not forget how huge was the last outrage concerning Nostalrius when Blizzard threathened to sue them.

Blizzard is looking for their subscribers in the wrong place anyway. Those that they lost, they lost due to Blizzard not providing enough content, poor content, and their rivals designing way better MMOs than WoW ever was. They are at their own fault, yet they are looking for a scape-goat.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ianicus said:

If blizz has no intrest in doing a vanilla server, just let these guys do thier thing....come on....

Since Blizz isn't willing to do it, this could only be possible if the pirate server pays Blizzard a fee. These pirate servers usually run on donations so they are indeed making money with someone else's work.

edited December 2016
    josko9 said:
    It's Blizzard's fault. If they don't want to support free vanilla servers, let others take care of it (they'll do a much better job anyway).

Let's face it, Blizzard is probably the greediest company of the last decade, othervise things would have been way different now. Take a note from Jagex. It's a shame how low this company has fallen, so low they don't even care about their fans anymore.

I have no doubt Nostalrius won't get shut down, well at least not for quite a while (several years). But if for some reason Blizzard actually does sue them, that should turn off quite a lot of Blizzard fans from ever purchasing their products again. Let's not forget how huge was the last outrage concerning Nostalrius when Blizzard threathened to sue them.

Blizzard is looking for their subscribers in the wrong place anyway. Those that they lost, they lost due to Blizzard not providing enough content, poor content, and their rivals designing way better MMOs than WoW ever was. They are at their own fault, yet they are looking for a scape-goat.
      The tiny miniscule amount of people voicing outrage over Nos being shut down was less .001% of there player base , And all there outrage didnt seem to slow down sales one bit ...
      This what happened just after

Overwatch Sales Top Seven Million – ‘One of the Most Successful Global Game Launches of All Time’

and

‘World of Warcraft: Legion’ Sales Hit 3.3 Million On Launch Day

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2016
    josko9 said:

SO is it Zenimax's fault if I decide I'd rather ESO not have any fees associated with; so I offered a server with all content (cash shop items as well) and required no box fee to access it? Would they be responsible for my actions?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    It's pretty clear to me that Blizzard will never do official vanilla servers. They might do that pristine server thing though. So if you wanna play vanilla, this is the way. - Just - this - simple - . -
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016
    Distopia said:
    josko9 said:

SO is it Zenimax's fault if I decide I'd rather ESO not have any fees associated with; so I offered a server with all content (cash shop items as well) and required no box fee to access it? Would they be responsible for my actions?

Nostalrius has begged over and over for the ability to pay Blizzard for an official vanilla server. In fact there was a petition from a former Blizzard Employee with over 200k+ people that signed for it. They shut down their server in compliance to blizzard hoping they could arrange for that dream to happen. It didn't happen. Blizzard made the poor excuse that it was "impossible" or it would "not be able to be polished." so Nostalrius did what they felt they had to do in order to provide the vanilla community a place to stay and play. 

It's not the same as launching a private ESO server that is exactly the same as the retail one. That's not what Nostalrius is doing. They are catering to the vanilla players the only way they can at the moment. Their dream is for Blizzard to launch an retail version but until that happens this is the only step they can take. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    ianicus said:
    If blizz has no intrest in doing a vanilla server, just let these guys do thier thing....come on....
    Sounds easy, but it isn't.  If you don't defend your intellectual property, you can lose it.  While I don't know the relevant laws to this specifically, I do know a bit about this in a general sense.  Things which seem easy on the surface, are not always easy when you get into the eaches.

I self identify as a monkey.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

Russia is the sort of place where if you pay the right people "bad things can happen" to other people.

What? I was talking about attorneys. ;)

Of course I was.
    I was actually thinking the exact same thing.

Heck, I suppose maybe it would be easier in Russia ... O.o
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Scorchien said:
    josko9 said:

The tiny miniscule amount of people voicing outrage over Nos being shut down was less .001% of there player base , And all there outrage didnt seem to slow down sales one bit ...
      This what happened just after

Overwatch Sales Top Seven Million – ‘One of the Most Successful Global Game Launches of All Time’

and

‘World of Warcraft: Legion’ Sales Hit 3.3 Million On Launch Day

Not all the WoW Legion sales necessarily happened after the Nostalrius team decided to shut down their own service. (It actually wasn't Blizzard nor the company who provided the server hosting that shut the service down.) My guess would be that many of the WoW fans started to buy Legion when pre-sales started since they got a lvl100 boost and other benefits before launch. 3.3 million copies in about ten months is still impressive but I say it's the least we expected from a promising expansion that's pre-purchase period gave buyers instant ingame benefits and early access to its new class besides the promised beta access. Not to mention that the Warcraft movie undoubtedly made some extra hype around the upcoming expansion.