Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

image"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Nostalrius, the pirate World of Warcraft server, will be making a return on December 17th, reborn as Elysium. The original Nostalrius server was shut down by Blizzard, but the WoW team met with server 'owners' earlier this summer in a cooperative effort to define the issue. After a few months of what was perceived to be inaction on Blizzard's part, the Nost team threatened to release its source code if the issue was ignored during Blizzcon 2016. It was and the code was subsequently released.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    If blizz has no intrest in doing a vanilla server, just let these guys do thier thing....come on....
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Blizzard * Attorney team on line 1 *  
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited December 2016
    So ...I don't get it. They got shut down once, now starting up again and telling everyone, and expect things not to repeat?
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Sweet!
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Ghavrigg said:
    So ...I don't get it. They got shut down once, now starting up again and telling everyone, and expect things not to repeat?
    Thieves generally aren't the brightest people around. If they were, they wouldn't have to resort to stealing other people's work. I hope that Blizz makes an example out of them.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Ghavrigg said:

Maybe Nost devs are not very well informed about how cold prison floor can be.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    not sure why anyone would play on it, it will just be shut down anyways.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    Thieves generally aren't the brightest people around. If they were, they wouldn't have to resort to stealing other people's work. I hope that Blizz makes an example out of them.
    Agreed , it really is nothing that 6 months in the GP wont fix :)
  • pj2501pj2501 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Great news! cant wait to spend some time in a nostalgic experience
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Oh look the wanna be lawyers striking back: Zero competence and trash talk on lvl 100. Let right people do their job and see how it works out in reality( lawyers and nost devs). And you trolls, pls go back to your caves.
  • kitekukiteku Member UncommonPosts: 2
    If it was as easy as saying "shut that private server down" then there wouldn't be so many private servers for so many other games. The source code is out there, even if Blizzard shuts down this one there will be more, they're either going to give up or have to go through the effort of shutting down every new one that crops up until the end of times. Or they could just make their own vanilla server, since so many people want it, but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Soki123 said:

not sure why anyone would play on it, it will just be shut down anyways.

Plenty of people play in betas and alphas for other games with the knowledge that everything they do will be wiped at release, so it's not surprising.
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Well, maybe this will put pressure on Blizzard so they can pretend to care again.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016
    HYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEE

These heroes..... I get goosebumps just thinking how much fun Nostalrius was. It's not only bringing Vanilla back but it's bringing the vanilla community back! I cannot wait. This time around Blizz won't have the ability to touch the server. And what should they? It's not like they think Vanilla is any good anymore plus most of its developers are long gone.

Someone contact Chris Metzen and tell him he can play the game again.

Heroes don't always wear capes. This is the only way to play Vanilla. Hear them out. They have begged for the ability to PAY for an official Blizzard Vanilla experience but to no avail. This is some people's favourite hobby of a MMORPG. Lasting friendships were made in this version of World of Warcraft. Thieves? So was Robin Hood.
    Post edited by winghaven1 on
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    I wonder...

If Blizz did make a Vanilla server, how many would pay and play that instead of playing private ones for free?

My, and Blizzes guess I'm sure, is not enough to bother with it.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I would love to play on official legacy servers but Blizzard just doesn't want to take my money. Good thing we have heroes like this who do it for the love of the game and offer the servers for free.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There is always the possibility that Blizzard has given them 'unofficial' permission to host a vanilla server, at least i hope so, as the alternative is that Blizzard is likely to start legal proceedings against individuals involved in the 'illegal' server, after all, they know who they are and where they live, and given that they have already been served once with a cease and desist, a successful prosecution could result in custodial sentences for those involved, which is not a good thing to be on their resume's should they be considering gainful employment at a future date. O.o
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...
    Blizzard can't do nothing, so the server getting shut down is not going to happen anytime soon.
    In fact the only way the server might get shut down is if Blizzard pay off these guys behind the scene to shut it down. There is nothing else they can do. Sadly some(often) times the law just can't help even if you are in the right.

I personally won't probably play on this(or any other private)server. I don't really support this type of behaviour, BUT in this particular cause I don't completely disapprove either, because there's more than enough proof that there are plenty of people who would gladly play on Vanilla servers, yet Blizzard just ignore it, no even worse. They pretended to care, but in fact ignored... Would have been better if they said outright that they won't do a Vanilla server and be done with it.

At the moment I have only 2 rl friends who still play WoW(from about 30 or so back in Vanilla). I've asked around and about 20 have confirmed that if there are Vanilla servers they would be more than happy to start playing again(even if just casual).

Legion is great, but it's a grindfest... I don't know what other people think, but for me this is probably the first expansion where I geniunely feel like I'm not playing anymore for fun, but I'm playing as if it's an actual work... You miss 1-2 days and you feel like you are way behind everyone else.
    What's more playing more than 2 characters without being a streamer(aka playing being your job) is close to impossible. At least impossible to keep them at the same level of progress. Even 2 chars is a bit of a strain.

Blizzard needs to make some appropriate adjustments and I don't mean just the possibility to get high AK on your alts like what they are adding in the upcoming patch.

Why am I mentioning Legion? Well today my sub expired and I actually debated whether I should pay it or not... If Vanilla servers existed I wouldn't be even thinking about this.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    End game consists entirely of courtroom pvp matches. Perma-death and full loot.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited December 2016
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    what is good about this server? i mean is it what level cap makes it fun ?
    chanming said:
    what is good about this server? i mean is it what level cap makes it fun ?

Watch and enjoy friend! I hope to see you join the new server on December 17th! I still pay monthly fee to Retail even if I'm long gone from that game after boredom of Legion but that could very well be on my end but Nostalrius has the heart and people that got me in love with Warcraft and that's why I will play it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...
    Blizzard can't do nothing,
    Great, why don't you enlighten us.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited December 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Blizzard can't do nothing,
    Great, why don't you enlighten us.

If the server is hosted in the EU they have little to no power. They can demand shut-downs but they cannot enforce them. Nostalrius only complied but could have stood their ground if they'd prefer to do so but they chose not to in their hope of reaching out to Blizzard for an official retail Vanilla server. (spoilers: blizz response)

The standard tactic vs NA servers seems to be either sending a cease and desist order to the server owner or contacting the server's host and intimidating them to cancel service. I have not heard all that many cases of Blizzard pursuing direct legal action (only once or twice from my knowledge).

I think they generally don't bother going after EU servers, if they did the servers would just move to a host provider in Russia.
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Anyway regardless of legal issues, this article is as biased as something on Fox news or Yahoo. "Pirate" "perceived" 'owners' come on Susie, I know you love WoW but you should be above this. The Elysium team is totally different than the Nost team. Nost was never a pirate server they did everything out in the open for YEARS before Blizzard ever spoke up. You and I have no idea what went on in the meetings so maybe they didn't "percieve" anything but we're actually told something. I come here for straight news on games and honest content, not this biased junk.