Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

burnt out.

sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56
go kill 6 boars and bring me dinner...
bring me 8 daisies and pay no mind to the monsters standing right next to them...
bring me a beer from the restaurant at the end of the universe...

ok.. i admit it.. i'm burnt out..

has anybody seen a game doing anything "new"?

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited December 2016
    I went to story driven singleplayer RPGs, taking a break from killing boars.

It works, i learned to immerse myself into games again and noticed that this was the thing i missed the most.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2016
    New genre. Mobas, FPS, Single player games, etc etc. Honestly, people need to mix things up if they want to avoid "burn out." Sure, you may have a favorite food, but it doesn't mean its all you eat. You eat different things, or have several favorites so you don't end up hating it.

I played FFXI for close to a decade. Logged and subbed most of that time as well. But during down time (no events) I'd do other stuff that weren't involved in the game, such as playing some single player rpgs, watch anime, go out, etc.

I think that part of the problem that so many people are getting bored of mmorpgs now is that the focus is too much on the individual and not a group of people. When you focus on yourself, you tend to question the value of what it is you are doing. Honestly, if other people are not giving things value or working with you over a long period of time, whatever you doing starts to lose its value. People question if mmorpgs really should be so heavily focused on groups to advance, and personally I feel it does because you value things more when you build bonds and/or do things with people you know are good at what they do. Also, those people may have became good or you got better because you surrounded yourself with people who either were experienced or determined to get better.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Albatroes said:
    New genre. Mobas, FPS, Single player games, etc etc. Honestly, people need to mix things up if they want to avoid "burn out." Sure, you may have a favorite food, but it doesn't mean its all you eat. You eat different things, or have several favorites so you don't end up hating it.

I played FFXI for close to a decade. Logged and subbed most of that time as well. But during down time (no events) I'd do other stuff that weren't involved in the game, such as playing some single player rpgs, watch anime, go out, etc.

I think that part of the problem that so many people are getting bored of mmorpgs now is that the focus is too much on the individual and not a group of people. When you focus on yourself, you tend to question the value of what it is you are doing. Honestly, if other people are not giving things value or working with you over a long period of time, whatever you doing starts to lose its value. People question if mmorpgs really should be so heavily focused on groups to advance, and personally I feel it does because you value things more when you build bonds and/or do things with people you know are good at what they do. Also, those people may have became good or you got better because you surrounded yourself with people who either were experienced or determined to get better.
    I think one of the issues are some people that play mmos are not actually gamers.  What I mean is that they only play mmos and don't branch out into other genres at all.  My wife is like this.  No matter how similar a single player game (skyrim, Kingdom of Amalur for example) to an mmo.  She just isn't interested. 

If you fall into this category.  Well, you will be burn out sooner than later.  I highly recommend playing single player games for a while as has been suggested.  Right now I'm subbed to Playstation Now streaming service on my PC.  I never had a PS3, so I missed out on some real gems like The Last of Us and White Knight Chronicles.  I've never had so many game options.  My only problem now is that I just don't have enough time to play them lol.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited December 2016
    All you're saying is that your bored with questng. Maybe you should let us know what you've played and be a little more indepth with what your looking for.

If you're looking for something that has a different feel with questing you could try The Secret World. The quests in that game are very well done. If you want steer clear of questing completely you could play an old game like Ultima Online where questing is almost non-existent.

In fact, that maybe the answer to your question. Have you ever played any sandbox games? Just go and play a sandbox and create your own adventure. Either way good luck with your search.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Try secret world the quests are very good there.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2016
    Albatroes said:

I think one of the issues are some people that play mmos are not actually gamers.  What I mean is that they only play mmos and don't branch out into other genres at all.  My wife is like this.  No matter how similar a single player game (skyrim, Kingdom of Amalur for example) to an mmo.  She just isn't interested. 

If you fall into this category.  Well, you will be burn out sooner than later.  I highly recommend playing single player games for a while as has been suggested.  Right now I'm subbed to Playstation Now streaming service on my PC.  I never had a PS3, so I missed out on some real gems like The Last of Us and White Knight Chronicles.  I've never had so many game options.  My only problem now is that I just don't have enough time to play them lol.
    This would be me, I don't play games, I live in virtual worlds.

Single player games are like reading a book, fun while they last, but eventually come to a predetermined end.

Worse, when the game ends so does the value and meaning of your progression, the primary reason I play MMORPGs.

Virtual worlds like EVE are almost endless, all effort I put into the game in 2007 is still valuable to me today.

Also, single player games lack social interaction and teamwork with other players, perhaps their greatest strength but an area largely ignored by many devs and players alike.

Every time someone posts they are soloing exclusively in a MMORPG I do a mental Jean Luc Picard facepalm (or a Mark Harmon NCIS headslap) because they really should be playing single player games.

So its unsurprising with much of the genre moving away from it's strengths and devolving into the same, uninspiring "games" so many have fled from it.

My son said an interesting thing to me last night. He just started playing Skyrim in his new PS4 and while he admitted being "addicted" to it, (he also really wants to play Overwatch) he said it so totally reminded him of WOW. 

I couldn't disagree. We really have been playing the same games for too long. :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Been playing ARK both in single player version and in a private server with a few homies. Fighting, taming and riding dinos is a good passtime. Being able to build everything is a certain plus. Also bought Empyrion, a space survival.