Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They're here

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Xarko said:
    I see That Retarded Horse finally has arrived to ESO aswell.

"Hey look at the asshole on that horse"

Player gets off horse, walks to the back, lifts the horse's tail, has a good look then shrugs and gets back on horse.
    Wow , those are really , really bad , wtf are they thinking , i honestly expect better from Zeni...
    That one is not from ESO... WOW I think. Not that the electrified ESO ones are much better.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Iselin said:

Great quests with professional voice actors? Interesting dungeons and trials with good mechanics? Great 3-alliance, DAoC-like PVP with lots of siege weapons and keep fights?

No.

This is why 300 people spent 6 years making ESO... so you can do this.

Enjoy!
    *gasp*

You mean players spam ridiculous special effects in MMOs? Never saw that before...

...except in EQ, WoW, EQ2, Rift, Warhammer Online, Aion, AoC, L2, FFIV, Neverwinter, GW2, SWTOR, STO, DCUO, Archeage, Black Desert...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I bought a ton and didn't get the Wolf mount I wanted, but I got some great costumes, an awesome electro orb juggling trinket, and tons of consumables. While I get not everyone likes these mounts, they look epic and the crates themselves are very fair in what they contain. RNG sucks, but this will make ZOS lots of money, and in turn it'll make us lots of content to come.

History has shown us that this is usually not the case.  More effort will go into the crown shop now and less will go into real content, mark my words.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I bought a ton and didn't get the Wolf mount I wanted, but I got some great costumes, an awesome electro orb juggling trinket, and tons of consumables. While I get not everyone likes these mounts, they look epic and the crates themselves are very fair in what they contain. RNG sucks, but this will make ZOS lots of money, and in turn it'll make us lots of content to come.
    ffs
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    OMG!!!! that stuff is SO cool!!!   I wonder if my bank will let me take a loan, to buy ESO Crowns, to buy RNG boxes.  My loan officer asked me if that stuff is worth real money and I told him, "Hellz Ya!!"

I think I had to put my panda looking bear mount as collateral.

Sz  :o)
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

History has shown us that this is usually not the case.  More effort will go into the crown shop now and less will go into real content, mark my words.
    If only I could tell you some of the things I know...

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Torval said:
    So why can't you?
    Cause then he'll have to kill you with his new atronach glow.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    LOL
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    So why can't you?
    Cause then he'll have to kill you with his new atronach glow.
    Very good.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited December 2016

"If only I could tell you some of the things I know..."  But here's a couple of hints regarding online gambling and online games;

"The attorney general cites the New York penal law, which defines illegal gambling as risking “something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence.” The definition sets up two alternative tests, whether it is a contest of chance, which depends on whether there is a material degree of skill or whether the event is outside the contestant, or fantasy user’s, “control or influence.”

and

"Virtual Gambling

Second Life, along with most other MMORPG’s, allows players to gamble in online currency, but is dependent upon the use of credit card transactions for a variety of purposes.  In October, the U.S. Congress passed the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, essentially banning the exchange of American currency for purposes of online gambling. [15]   Luckily, in Second Life players exchange Sims, not dollars.  Yet, online transactions in real world dollars are required for the trade of virtual objects, so the current law may be found to affect the financial activities of MMORPG’s as well.  In fact, the creators of Second Life are concerned with the potential applicability of the new law to players’ gambling activity, and have issued some legal policy statements on the issue. [16] Although Congress was not directly addressing MMORPG’s by passing the Internet gambling law, it may not be long before gambling in virtual worlds is targeted."  

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

"If only I could tell you some of the things I know..."  But here's a hint regarding online gambling and online games;

"The attorney general cites the New York penal law, which defines illegal gambling as risking “something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence.” The definition sets up two alternative tests, whether it is a contest of chance, which depends on whether there is a material degree of skill or whether the event is outside the contestant, or fantasy user’s, “control or influence.”

Anyone who feels it violates their states laws should be telling the authorities.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Iselin said:

Great quests with professional voice actors? Interesting dungeons and trials with good mechanics? Great 3-alliance, DAoC-like PVP with lots of siege weapons and keep fights?

No.

This is why 300 people spent 6 years making ESO... so you can do this.

Enjoy!
    I was waiting for a beat drop that whole time...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I always thought extra profits went into corporate bonuses.  Hope you're right.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I must admit one of my most fun moments in ESO was spamming mist form across a zone long before they nerfed it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I must admit one of my most fun moments in ESO was spamming mist form across a zone long before they nerfed it.
    Was Cyrodiil that zone? Back in 2014 shortly after launch, vampires were insanely OP'd. It was almost impossible to catch them when they spammed mist and then only when they screwed up somehow.

But that was a GFX that was part of a useful ability just like the sorc's streak and lightning form. This is just spamming fluff for fluff's sake.

There's a type of MMO player I like to call peacocks because it seems like they have the most fun not actually playing the game but instead congregating somewhere and strutting their (usually expensive) stuff. They also used to do synchronized dancing in GW1. I imagine Second Life is also full of them.

Personally I've never understood their motivation. They just look like bored people to me... /shrug.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2016
    waynejr2 said:

"If only I could tell you some of the things I know..."  But here's a hint regarding online gambling and online games;

Anyone who feels it violates their states laws should be telling the authorities.
    I'd just like to know how it's any different than those 25 cent mystery globes we used to buy as kids at the grocery store. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    waynejr2 said:

They have.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Torval said:
    Or trading card game packs. The difference between rng loot boxes, trading card packs and then gambling is that in gambling you can lose. With TCG packs and loot boxes you always get something valued at the minimum cost of the box/pack.

Wait... now that is a good argument to be had there.

What is the value based on? I ask because:

Is ESO saying 4 complete garbage cards, at lesser quality than regularly acquirable in-game items of the same type, are worth that much real money? By comparison, then, something truly epic would be worth 1000s of times as much.

Consider a $0.25 piece of gum, the big hard ones. They aren't as good as the cheaper, much higher quality pieces of gum from the gum companies. Now compare that gum to a horse. An overpriced lesser-quality piece of gum, 25 cents, an epic really awesome super duper rare horse, 1.2 million dollars. Ok, let's just compare it to a regular horse that is healthy, depending on where you live it is what, $500 the middle of nowhere and $3000 in horse country? Let's see... comparatively speaking, 25 cent overpriced lesser-quality piece of gum (potions), $3000 regular not special horse (lightning mounts), why... that is 12,000 times difference!

12,000 times difference, hmm. Can someone who can do math and knows the costs of the boxes and all of the items available inside and their quality in-game, please put this all together and show that for a box of all garbage items ESO thinks it's worth the cost of one box so therefore the mounts must be worth whatever 12,000 times more is?

I'm gonna guess nobody is going to be paying $12,000 or, what is it... 40 boxes, slightly over $100... $12,000 x 2.5 give or take, $30,000. I'm gonna guess nobody is willing to pay $30,000 for one of those special lightning mounts.

The 'valued at minimum cost' argument is actually a really good point to bring up. If it is valued at the minimum cost, it would be slightly over $2.50 per box right? Would you pay $2.50 for 4 garbage potions that are lesser quality than ones you can make in game? That is the bare minimum value. If you don't think that is a fair price for those items, I mean besides not buying the packs cause it would be overpriced then, wouldn't this no longer be fair exchange sales? Wouldn't it be gambling? You aren't guaranteed your equal return in gambling, but typically will get 'some' returns albeit much less value than your expense, but would have the possibility of gaining multiple times your value. Granted, not 12,000 times the value but hey, 40x and 1000x payouts are a staple of gambling games.

Sounds like gambling to me, but only after some serious arguing. Could go either way, I'd imagine.

Having said all of this, however, I'm really wanting to go home and play ESO. I just won't be spending money in game.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"