Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Are you a fan of the "survival sandbox" genre?

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited December 2016
    Yes, but not a fan of any game in that genre.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I love any game where I can feel involved. Survivals and sandboxes hit the spot for me. Where the story is your own, your own adventure. Not pre-written text that goes over the same story for every new character. Granted, it's fun playing through someone else's story, just not as fun as telling your own. The downside, some days go by without any story, uneventful gathering and crafting. 
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am not fan , but like to casual playing that type of games
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    It's sandbox MMO, what is there not to like? Of course we're a fan!

But a permanent death will bring realism and the difficulty level way up. I remember Trials of Ascension was supposed to be that sandbox MMO with permanent death.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I voted no and am not a fan of the genre.  I honestly have tried several games and haven't really liked any.  However I am not opposed to playing a game I like in this genre.  For me, I haven't played  a game I like in this genre.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Eldurian said:
    Gorwe said:

edit: for clarity on how I detest these look up ^ 

They're so repetitive and boring with almost no story. Why do people play this genre of games?
    genre of game when there are sandboxes where you can make your own story?

So much cliche I cant even.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Maurgrim said:
    Eldurian said:
    Gorwe said:

They're so repetitive and boring with almost no story. Why do people play this genre of games?

ha!

'make your own story' like I really good 'choose your own adventure novel'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Nah , tried some and was bored /frustrated in less than 1h ...add PVP to that and ugh its get ugly pretty fast
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    I don't care for them. That's enough of a reason.

Edit:  After reading Aethaeryn's post I have to modify my reply.  I don't care for survival games that are based around PVP.  I've enjoyed Dead State and State of Decay.  I'll be watching to see what they do for State of Decay 2.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2016
    LOVE THEM!  I'm not sorry for the all caps either. . and here are a few of these!!!1!!1

I do love this type of game.  I love 7 Days to Die (although I liked it more before levels).  As some have said Project Zomboid is very cool.  I also had a great time with Savage Lands, Stonehearth etc.

Dead State might not quite fit the category bit it was pretty cool but a bit of a mess as far as combat went.

Rimworld sort of fits here for me as well. . love that game.

I also liked the Long Dark.  I am being pretty flexible.  I sometimes am a collector and don't get to games but these I have all played and enjoyed.

As far as online or multi-player I am just about to try RUST despite the reviews about the community.  I enjoyed most of the beta for Xsyon and Mortal Online etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Yes, but not those 3 games.  Sure, they're decent games in their own right but In practice they're 10% survival and 90% something else.
  • mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    There should be some more choices on the poll between yes and no.  I know lots of people that like survival mp only if it is not PvP.  Private servers with options are win for many who stay away form official servers.  We ran one ARK server 10 hours a week only on the weekends, fun times on the chat with no pressure.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I think DayZ, Rust, ARK are the worst examples of what is possible for the survival genre when limiting to PvP loot-shooters in what they offer and their execution.

Games like Don't Starve + Together, 7DaystoDie, and The Long Dark serve the genre much better. Having more ARK clones most certainly doesn't.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Maurgrim said:
    Eldurian said:
    Gorwe said:

It exists for a reason. I still have fond memories and like to talk about things I did in sandbox games over a decade ago. I stop caring about the scripted storylines of Themeparks the moment I finish playing them for the most part. Hell I'm to the point now I don't even care about them as I'm playing them.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I think people keep forgetting that Minecraft Survival Mode was essentially the first survival sandbox. There were also games like Freelancer that were exceptionally similar and came long before but were a bit lighter on the survival and sandbox aspects even though they shared the open persistent world features.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Yes, I enjoy how they play with the base building aspect, ect. I wish there were more than kill on sight mechanics, but the genre is evolving and unfortunately doing what mmorpgs should have done, thus are taking their numbers.

I dislike however the vast amount now since everyone is trying to get into the market. Some look like they could be promising(Conan) but many are still EA forever titles(Rust).

MurderHerd

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    As some of the above mentioned; i as well enjoy the Base Building or better building a whole Outpost/City a like thing. Wit that ofc the Material gathering.

I love the PvE aspect like in ARK. I avoid PvP as i like that more in other Games like DAoC or GW2.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I like PvE survival sandbox games like 7daystodie, minecraft, empyrion, don't starve etc. . But I don't like those pvp focused games you mentioned in your poll. So I had to vote no.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Every game starts out as a sandbox, then some devs opt to put in content and others say f.ck it! go entertain yourself and release it as is :)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Yes but not the horror style. Can we get a Fantasy game please?
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Nanfoodle said:
    Yes but not the horror style. Can we get a Fantasy game please?
    Play Farcry Primal and pretend you're an elf. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Scorchien said:
    Yes , some of them i really like at this time 7Days to Die is best imo ... Also really really like Project Zomboid
    I agree about 7 Days To Die. I love the crafting, the voxel world and that it has a single player mode.

For the Poll I voted Yes but I actually have mixed feelings about them.

I hate meaningless FFA PvP although I love PvP MMOs over PvE generally.

I'm big on having ongoing war and faction pride that MMOs used to have back in the day. That's what I was hoping for in H1Z1, but that was a huge disappointment.

Crowfall looks like it will have some survival aspects without compromising the MMO aspects. I am hoping that it turns out good. 

But what I am really waiting for is for someone to make a post apocalypse faction based PvP genuine MMO with survival aspects, voxel sandbox worlds, player driven economy, and a deep crafting system.

If a dev team pulled that off successfully, that would be impressive.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    @MikeB Are you going to create an MMO soon? These polls are suspicious! 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I like the sci-fi ones.  I just bought into Early Access for Osiris: New Dawn, and it's been exciting (if somewhat repetitive early on) to play the crash-landed astronaut on a strange new world.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Yes but I stay away from any game where you cant turn off pvp.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file