Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun, Lightweight & Full of Character - The Dwarves Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFun, Lightweight & Full of Character - The Dwarves Review - MMORPG.com

Everyone loves dwarves. They’re the lovable sidekick, the violent Scotsman with a heart of gold, and if you need beard advice, that’s pretty much their only hobby outside of mining and blacksmithing. In the world of fantasy fiction, they’re a race of compatriots, rarely ever starring in their own adventure. Until now, that is.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    DORFES!!

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    No thanks

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    best dwarfs are warhammer dwarfs- total war warhammers- ats it.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Yes thanks
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do appreciate the notice this was given to this site to review but still weighs in as a rather biased review.
    None the less,the game does sound interesting enough that i might try it out.Not a fan of "stretching it" with terms like art style and weighty.
    GREAT art style?Of course that is a biased remark,art style matters only to each individual ,so no way on earth does a developer aim for EACH individual,they simply go with what the license allowed them.
    "survives on it's character"and they really nailed it,again this is stretching for positive terms to spin on this agenda.

Are we really helping the developer improve their game if everything is pretty much "nailed it"or would the dev be better suited with some truthful criticism?The only area mentioned are bugs,well seems a rather WEAK critic since pretty much every newly released game will have bugs.

Basically this review is saying ,remove the bugs and the game is a 10/10 ,hardly a trust worthy review with that kind of rating...right?

The positive spin of a game usually needs little introduction,as i said,it already sounds interesting enough to try out but the entire industry NEEDS criticism to improve gaming for all,the gamer and the developers.How is a dev suppose to know what part of it's game needs improving or is flat out bad if it is always praise praise?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited December 2016

Wizardry said:

I do appreciate the notice this was given to this site to review but still weighs in as a rather biased review.

etc

etc ...

The best reviews are reviews that basically say what the game (or whatever is being reviewed) is "about". The above review is far from positive yet it couches the language in such a way that doesn't dissuade people who want to try the game an who might want a "lite" game from trying it. It's ok to have positivity in a review. What we want from reviews is to point out things that people may or may not like and of course whether things are broken. Given the above quotes I think the reviewer has done a decent job. god I really hate the editor on this site.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SeorynSeoryn Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The game is about dwarves (most important factor). It plays like Dragon Age: Origins in some parts. In other parts it plays like Dragon Age: Origins with an incredibly broken, distant camera that observes you flinging (or being flung by) a vast horde of enemies in traditional fantasy environments and dying at the worst possible times to the stupidest decisions that have no genuine impact on the overall story. :D That sold me, honestly, so I tried it, and I like it. Clunky at times, movement is arduous where it shouldn't be, sometimes things just don't connect in combat, but the story is nice, and I haven't read the original books (but I will now). Reading the books, however, helps in some parts of the game, some reviwers and streamers have said. Also it's published by THQ Nordic and I generally give their combative titles a check after Darksiders. I've yet to be utterly disappointed, at least.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Wizardry said:

None the less,the game does sound interesting enough that i might try it out.Not a fan of "stretching it" with terms like art style and weighty.

GREAT art style?Of course that is a biased remark,art style matters only to each individual ,so no way on earth does a developer aim for EACH individual,they simply go with what the license allowed them.

"survives on it's character"and they really nailed it,again this is stretching for positive terms to spin on this agenda.

Are we really helping the developer improve their game if everything is pretty much "nailed it"or would the dev be better suited with some truthful criticism?The only area mentioned are bugs,well seems a rather WEAK critic since pretty much every newly released game will have bugs.

Basically this review is saying ,remove the bugs and the game is a 10/10 ,hardly a trust worthy review with that kind of rating...right?

The positive spin of a game usually needs little introduction,as i said,it already sounds interesting enough to try out but the entire industry NEEDS criticism to improve gaming for all,the gamer and the developers.How is a dev suppose to know what part of it's game needs improving or is flat out bad if it is always praise praise?

Is it that you're looking for total objectivity? A lack of praise and more of a report (because there is criticism here and only a decent score, which it deserves). A review is necessarily subjective. The character art is very charming. It's fine if you disagree, but since a game review is at its core an opinionated assessment, I stand by my judgment of the style and character work. Along with that, I do want to say that I rarely use descriptions like "it has character!" because that doesn't really mean anything in most games. Here, the character art, voice work/character building, and more linear narrative all add heartily to the enjoyability of the game so it warrants it. Now, I love dwarves, so I may be biased there, but I would expect anyone seriously considering this game probably would also. So does it matter? I also get extremely bored with rote epic fantasy stories that have been told a million times over, so that this game's story was able to work on me should tell you something about its surrounding elements.

I also believe that I criticized the game where it needed it: polish and bug squashing. If King Art fixes those things, yes, it would deserve a higher score (though not a 10/10). This isn't a deep game and wasn't trying to be, so when I look at what it attempts, I think it has a lot of good ideas held back by spotty execution.

Praise praise is not what I wrote or feel about this game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    edited December 2016
    orbitxo said:

Snow White's Dwarfs were pretty pimp unless I misunderstood what they meant by the hi ho song.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Seoryn said:
    and I haven't read the original books (but I will now). Reading the books, however, helps in some parts of the game, some reviwers and streamers have said.
    They left out some essential parts of the books in the game. Reading the books is almost mandatory before getting into the game.
    The same author also wrote 4 books about the Albae, which are close to the dwarfes' story. I find them even better.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited December 2016

Volgore said:

Seoryn said:

and I haven't read the original books (but I will now). Reading the books, however, helps in some parts of the game, some reviwers and streamers have said.

They left out some essential parts of the books in the game. Reading the books is almost mandatory before getting into the game.
    The same author also wrote 4 books about the Albae, which are close to the dwarfes' story. I find them even better.

I actually just picked up the audiobook for the first one. I have heard good things. I actually saw it at Barnes and Noble when it first came out, but they had it right next to Stan Nichols' Orcs book and figured it was one of those cheap cash in series.
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    "it took me more than two hours before I realized the camera could be rotated (middle mouse button, FYI.)"

This is LITERALLY the first on screen tip that appears!

"Pause the game by pressing space. Move the camera by using the middle mouse button and the mouse wheel".

Is it too much to ask for reviewers that can actually play games? It's getting as bad as most Twitch streamers...
    edited December 2016
    I never saw it. It's possible that I looked away. Regardless, there is no reason why, in this day and age, a developer should not have an option to see the control scheme in the options.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Eh, this doesn't look like it's worth the $40.00 price tag. I'll wait until it's on sale.

Smile

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    orbitxo said:
    Runesmiths and Slayers FTW....
    Are you onto something or just on something?