Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions from Public Test Server 3.0

EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
So 3.0 is live on the test servers now. Spent a bit of time on it yesterday and plan to go test it some more tomorrow.

First thing I noticed:

The new song that plays during character creation / selection.

Second thing I noticed. Racial attributes have been changed. I don't remember the Haranyan side traits off the top of my head. All traits are now 5 minute buffs with 30 minute cooldowns.

Nuian:
Construction Speed buff
+8% buff to all attributes (agility, stamina, strength etc.)

Elves:
Swim speed / breath holding buff
+10 health regeneration to all nearby mounts

Dwarf:
Machining speed buff
Transform into a battle mech

They've added iris style selection and skin style selection to dwarves. Nuians and elves don't have this yet. It allows you to pick from like 4-5 realistic looking irises as well as a bunch of crazy irises like cat eye, star shaped irises, etc. The really funny part is the skin selection though. Male dwarves have the most horrid gut ever as part of their character model and you can put a skin over that that looks like a Greek god. Somehow your gut has an eight pack on it.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I'm tempted to go back to try out Warborn and see the new zones. Main thing stopping me is I know how things will turn out after the freshness wears off and it gets to be more and more like a legacy server and the whales run wild.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2016
    I'm fairly confident that I can actually get to the point I can no die horribly to a whale by the time that they open up legacy servers. Even on Morpheus starting late, things were bad but they weren't so bad that I feel like I couldn't have competed if I got there at the start.

With the new account rule and the limited marketplace on start I'm pretty confident that while I won't be the most twinked character around, I'll be twinked enough that even the super swipers will have to put some effort into fighting me.

That being said 6-9 months sounds like enough time to prepare for legacy characters IMO given that I do actually have accounts with a few thousand gold I'm going to throw at my main on this server when the floodgates open.
    When I left I ended up giving away my mansion, upgraded thatched, and apothecary townhouse. Then I burnt through around 30,000 gold in yolo regrades.
    edited December 2016
    Vitalism has been entirely reworked so I started with a vitalism as my first skilltree. The skill you get at level 1 is the new skill "Crossroads." It's a straight healing power based damage skill you can use against enemies. If an enemy is suffering from your mirror light it increases damage by 36% and it also heals all allies who have your mirror light on them within 15m of the target. It has a range of about 30m.

Overall I found this a pretty darn handy skill. You slap a mirror light on yourself and then run into combat blasting your opponent with it and receiving healing for each hit you inflict. It's a no cooldown / fully spammable skill like mana-stars/triple-slash/flamebolts/endless arrows

The damage isn't great and the healing isn't great but it's pretty good when you have both of them. Not sure if that holds true into high level play or not though.

The only other new thing I've noticed so far is an actual journal tracking your progress on racial quests.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Forgrimm said:
    I'm tempted to go back to try out Warborn and see the new zones. Main thing stopping me is I know how things will turn out after the freshness wears off and it gets to be more and more like a legacy server and the whales run wild.
    Honest question here, but how many whales do you think there will be playing these fresh start servers? I'd be surprised if there were even as many as 10. I feel like some of you think there's like hundreds of these people just blowing thousands of dollars on a cash shop that doesn't really promise you much to begin with. Some people are just lucky and get the rolls they need on gear, while others are good at the game. Now I hate the cash shop as much as the next, but 'whales' are hardly the problem. 
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Forgrimm said:
    Its always funny when people dont know why they are getting smoked... then they just resort to the whales and p2w"... Its never the whales that run legacy servers, its organized guilds that control content. Always has.. always will be this way.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    patching tonight. the biggest thing im looking for is how bad skill queue fuck up there is and if im forced to roll a new race on fresh start just bc of gilda/xp incentives.
    patching tonight. the biggest thing im looking for is how bad skill queue fuck up there is and if im forced to roll a new race on fresh start just bc of gilda/xp incentives.
    Total bullcrap for sure, but not going to lie... I'm happy about it. Was already planning to roll a Nuian and rush 50 Gilda ASAP so I can put down a thatched. Like I'm going on Christmas break the day before the fresh star servers launch. Planning to meal prep for 3 days and get a good night's sleep, wake up an hour before the server goes live, brew some coffee and then go for three days doing nothing but eat, sleep, play ArcheAge and occasional walking breaks for the sake of my health. Fun part is my fiance will be doing it with me.

Anyway the point I was getting at is that my race is already aligned with what I want to do. If it's harder for everyone wanting to try out the new races to put down property. I feel bad for them but personally I'm like "YES! Less competition!"
    Dammit. Now I see what you mean. Initial reports were lies. Dwarves get more gilda too...

Well... looks like I'll be rolling my crafting alt 1st instead of 2nd unless they fix that.
    Forgrimm said:
    Its always funny when people dont know why they are getting smoked... then they just resort to the whales and p2w"... Its never the whales that run legacy servers, its organized guilds that control content. Always has.. always will be this way.
    Organized guilds that are filled with whales. It was a known fact that the people in the top guilds on my server were heavily cash-invested in the game, via both apex/marketplace conversions to gold, as well as straight up RMT, i.e. buying gear and even top-geared accounts with real $ from sites like playerauctions.com.
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Honest question here, but how many whales do you think there will be playing these fresh start servers? I'd be surprised if there were even as many as 10. I feel like some of you think there's like hundreds of these people just blowing thousands of dollars on a cash shop that doesn't really promise you much to begin with. Some people are just lucky and get the rolls they need on gear, while others are good at the game. Now I hate the cash shop as much as the next, but 'whales' are hardly the problem. 
    As Kano mentioned, the initial offerings in the fresh start server marketplace won't have much worth getting so it won't be an issue early on. Though that will likely change as time goes on. Also, I'm not sure what "rolls" you're talking about in terms of gear. All of the best gear in the game is crafted, not dropped. Unless you're referring to regrades.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:
    As Kano mentioned, the initial offerings in the fresh start server marketplace won't have much worth getting so it won't be an issue early on. Though that will likely change as time goes on. Also, I'm not sure what "rolls" you're talking about in terms of gear. All of the best gear in the game is crafted, not dropped. Unless you're referring to regrades.
    I t would be great if they avoided the Cash-Shop P2W features of AA , But i see no reason to believe that this server wont end up exactly as all the others...
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Forgrimm said:
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:
    I'm sure things will be perfectly fine until the CS goes back to how it was. The whole thing is, the 'whales' will play, but I don't think they will spend. There's no incentive if you've already spent on the other servers. It just feels like a tactic Trion is using to sell the game twice. We all remember how much people "loved" AA in alpha, then it went live. This will be the same thing in the end imo.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Eldurian said:
    Total bullcrap for sure, but not going to lie... I'm happy about it. Was already planning to roll a Nuian and rush 50 Gilda ASAP so I can put down a thatched. Like I'm going on Christmas break the day before the fresh star servers launch. Planning to meal prep for 3 days and get a good night's sleep, wake up an hour before the server goes live, brew some coffee and then go for three days doing nothing but eat, sleep, play ArcheAge and occasional walking breaks for the sake of my health. Fun part is my fiance will be doing it with me.

Anyway the point I was getting at is that my race is already aligned with what I want to do. If it's harder for everyone wanting to try out the new races to put down property. I feel bad for them but personally I'm like "YES! Less competition!"
    Let's hope that after all your early preparation you don't find yourself basically locked out from large login queues and unstable servers or hackers who have found the early exploits in this version of code.

These are why I never actually played at the first launch despite being an alpha backer.  With all the mayhem going on I decided to wait until they cleaned things up.

Thing is, by time that happened (like maybe 6 months or so) it was really apparent what impact head start, cheating and whales (often combined) had on the game play so I never joined.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Organized guilds that are filled with whales. It was a known fact that the people in the top guilds on my server were heavily cash-invested in the game, via both apex/marketplace conversions to gold, as well as straight up RMT, i.e. buying gear and even top-geared accounts with real $ from sites like playerauctions.com.
    I don't disagree that organized guilds control servers, and as you said some at least are well populated with whales.

In the early days of L2 cash shops were not a thing, however the clan alliance that held every major keep had one main requirement, their
    members had to play at least 10 hours a day.

Ruins (sic) of Magic was the first P2W MMORPG I really played, and the top organized raiding guilds openly advertised what gear was required to join them.  

Not atypical except unless you ground for about 12 hours a day you had to spend about $600 or so in the cash shop depending how the RNG gods treated you.

PVP was a different story, if you ganked people enough you went "red" and people could freely attack you.

There was one "red" clan of note only accepted big spending whales, reportedly their members spent between $2K - $8K and it really showed.

One day I watched their leader, a mage exploit a mechanic to stand on a roof top and then proceed to burn down more than 40 same level characters, and no one could kill him despite being clearly visible to everyone's ranged attacks.

I recall reporting the exploit and unfairness of this imbalance (hey, I was new and naive to the ways of cash shops) and the haughty and condescending reply I received (basically "spend more and get gud") made me think the person replying was in that guild. ;)

I ended up quitting instead, well cured and wary of cash shop games. (had spent about $200 in 3 months already.)

Point of all this was, whales frequently organize together and really play to crush if the game design lets them.

Fortunately, as DMkano and others said, it won't be that sort of cash shop, at least not for now.

Will be a great chance to see if organization and skill can prevail in AA instead of wallet size.

Good luck to everyone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2016
    The whole point of the fresh start server is that they are intentionally nerfing the impact a whale can have until later in the game.

So it's the groups that control the content early on that will have the biggest impact. Why do you think I'm literally meal prepping and changing my sleep schedule to get more playtime in the first 72 hours? Beyond the initial landgrab it's so that I can be high level and geared before most other players. Get in on the first world boss kills. Fist leviathan fights. Start taking runs of packs to Freedich while I have the gearscore to stomp anyone who gets in my way.

Because that kind of advantage, is better than being a whale if I get it and maintain it. And having myself, my fiance, and some of the initial members of my guild doing that gives the advantage of highly geared allies to all our members that join at a later date.

That means they can get in on world events, run packs to Freedich, and get ahead of the common rabble as well. So essentially, by taking a commanding lead early on we're setting our entire guild up for permanent success as long as we maintain that advantage.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
    Albatroes said:
    Forgrimm said:
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:
    I'm sure things will be perfectly fine until the CS goes back to how it was. The whole thing is, the 'whales' will play, but I don't think they will spend. There's no incentive if you've already spent on the other servers. It just feels like a tactic Trion is using to sell the game twice. We all remember how much people "loved" AA in alpha, then it went live. This will be the same thing in the end imo.
          Phase 1 :  Sell Preorders 150$ to the excited community ... Then unload cashshop on them .. Let the Whales take over .. Servers ruined..

Phase 2: Open new servers for the Stupid people we missed .. Whales take over ruin sever...

Phase 3 : Open new servers again for Extremely stupid we missed the first two times(bending cashshop slightly , to sucker them in and give them hope)  6-8 Months later unleash Cashshop ,Whales take over ruin server ...
    Scorchien said:
    Albatroes said:
    Forgrimm said:
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:
          Phase 1 :  Sell Preorders 150$ to the excited community ... Then unload cashshop on them .. Let the Whales take over .. Servers ruined..

Phase 2: Open new servers for the Stupid people we missed .. Whales take over ruin sever...

Phase 3 : Open new servers again for Extremely stupid we missed the first two times(bending cashshop slightly , to sucker them in and give them hope)  6-8 Months later unleash Cashshop ,Whales take over ruin server ...
    Yeah. The only problem with your theory is that as Frammshamm said, the biggest determining factor to who is on top is who can run the most exclusive content.

People who own a castle > People who can beat Leviathan but have no castle
    People who can beat Leviathan > People who do Freedich packs
    People who do Freedich packs > People who do cross-faction runs
    People who do cross-factions runs > People who do safezone runs
    People who do safezone runs > People who can't afford good trade carts

Which of those categories you fall into largely determines how much gold you make per labor / day. Being in one of those upper categories for 6-8 months is worth hundreds and potentially even thousands of dollars of swiping.

What determines which category you fall into is your equipment points and the strength of your guild.

Someone with high equipment points relative to other players at the start therefore has a greater chance of maintaining higher equipment points going forward because they have the strength to do the difficult content.

So in 6-8 months when the floodgates open... people who've been near the top the whole time could be easily be resting comfortably in the 6-7k equipment points range. Thats enough equipment points to compete with pretty much anyone.

edited December 2016
    Eldurian said:
    Scorchien said:
    Albatroes said:
    Forgrimm said:
    mcrippins said:
    Forgrimm said:

Yeah. The only problem with your theory is that as Frammshamm said, the biggest determining factor to who is on top is who can run the most exclusive content.

People who own a castle > People who can beat Leviathan but have no castle
    People who can beat Leviathan > People who do Freedich packs
    People who do Freedich packs > People who do cross-faction runs
    People who do cross-factions runs > People who do safezone runs
    People who do safezone runs > People who can't afford good trade carts

Which of those categories you fall into largely determines how much gold you make per labor / day. Being in one of those upper categories for 6-8 months is worth hundreds and potentially even thousands of dollars of swiping.

What determines which category you fall into is your equipment points and the strength of your guild.

Someone with high equipment points relative to other players at the start therefore has a greater chance of maintaining higher equipment points going forward because they have the strength to do the difficult content.

So in 6-8 months when the floodgates open... people who've been near the top the whole time could be easily be resting comfortably in the 6-7k equipment points range. Thats enough equipment points to compete with pretty much anyone.

cool story .. Wont happen , 6-8 months from now , the Swipers will run the server, take your keeps , take your camp spots , take yer tradepacks .. And you will back here wondering why .. We have already seen this happen on every  server .. BUT this SERVER, this one will be different .. lmfao , get a hold of yourself
    I did overseas tradepacks with a 90%+ success rate on a server where the average gearscore was 2k points higher than mine and the population was higher than on any other server.

If I can promise you one thing. It's that they won't get my tradepacks on any kind of regular basis when I get in on day one. Even if they had a regular marketplace that actually did carry labor pots.

Also I'm subbing a 2nd account which is something I've never done before. Pretty damn confident in my ability to better than I've done historically but we'll see who's right.

Pretty sure a scrub will be a scrub anywhere in any circumstances though so yeah, you might want to take a pass this go around.
    Lol good try , but fact as any scrub can run trade packs ... with much less score than that ,

And we will see aight , we can revisit in the future which by the way has a habit of repeating itself ..

Cya in 8 moths...

Swipe .........Swipe ..Swipe
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    edited December 2016
    Not going to comment much on a game I don't play , but really? That character login song ? I mean .. you like it or what?

It's like a song which this girlish one is playing while on a train or something , with her head on the window, thinking about his boyfriend who just left her !

But then again, Archeage and cars , is what I last remember about this game when I stopped carrying about it . 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Unless they massively overhauled the system trade packs lost you money. It was much more money not even owning land but buying off the Ah processing it and selling the raw materials.

You bought chili peppers to make chopped produce, you bought Poppies or Saffron for Spices, Ginseng for medicine, quinoa or beans for grain and cornflower for flowers. Or if something was way below 'market' value you could buy that up too. But selling those raw mats to fools who couldnt do math was much more than growing things breaking it down and driving it around yourself.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I didn't really play until the 55 cap, so maybe someone can fill me in on how much of a gap 50-55 content was, since the cap is going to be raised to 60. Chances are, if there was a big gap, there maybe be some holes in the 55 strategies being pitched when applied to level 60 content.
    rodarin said:
    Unless they massively overhauled the system trade packs lost you money. It was much more money not even owning land but buying off the Ah processing it and selling the raw materials.

You bought chili peppers to make chopped produce, you bought Poppies or Saffron for Spices, Ginseng for medicine, quinoa or beans for grain and cornflower for flowers. Or if something was way below 'market' value you could buy that up too. But selling those raw mats to fools who couldnt do math was much more than growing things breaking it down and driving it around yourself.
    You have to do long distance runs but those have always been profitable. Farming is dramatically less profitable even if you have unlimited land for free. Overseas runs have an inherently better payout rate and a lot less people do them so the payout is overall way better than anything that can be done in a safezone.