Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayStation VR set to eclipse Rift and Vive sales in the UK

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    well the PSVR sales were a given ...

the real news is when Microsofts set eclipses them,  because microsofts set is in direct competition. 
    has microsoft ever in its history out sold anyone in the consumer electronics market?
    Yes, with:
     -Kinect after it was launched
     -XBox 360 outsold PS3 for several years after its launch, even if Wii sold better than both of them
     -Some years ago Microsoft's keyboards, mice, and joysticks sold really well. Also their XBox controllers have sold really well. There's no official sales data available so we can't tell which competitors they outsold and on which years, but they must have outsold something with those products
    well to be fair his original point was that MS would sell more than HTC Vive and Oculus specifically even though me reading it several times it reads to me as if he is suggesting MS would naturally outsell Sony.

regardless of that, I was actively a consumer during the MS mouse and keyboard boom (meaning I would look at adds often) and my gut tells me they were not as big of a seller as Logitech

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

I am going to create a new thread because of this linked story but I am placing it here becasue its related to my contoller rant and how its actually important despite maskedweasel suggesting otherwise Oculus get controllers other that mouse, keyboard, xbox controller and HOTAS

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/01/oculus-touch-53-launch-games-for-the-new-motion-controllers/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am going to create a new thread because of this linked story but I am placing it here becasue its related to my contoller rant and how its actually important despite maskedweasel suggesting otherwise Oculus get controllers other that mouse, keyboard, xbox controller and HOTAS

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/01/oculus-touch-53-launch-games-for-the-new-motion-controllers/
    Again, you said that building a game to work with xbox controllers or M&K WILL NOT WORK with touch controls.  I quoted you several times.

Then you post this article which PROVES YOU WERE WRONG:

"Many of those games were already available as controller games on the Oculus Store. "

You said they'd have to rewrite all the code SEAN.  Thats what you said.  Admit you were wrong and move on. 

edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Again, you said that building a game to work with xbox controllers or M&K WILL NOT WORK with touch controls.  I quoted you several times.

"Many of those games were already available as controller games on the Oculus Store. "

You said they'd have to rewrite all the code SEAN.  Thats what you said.  Admit you were wrong and move on. 
    and that is still true. those features of which I went into detail would not work. more over, orginally I didnt say they would not work i ASKED YOU how would they work. did I not? features and functions != entire game title

that said, I do not agree with you that xbox controllers and HOTA systems are good enough to carry VR into the 'megastream'

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

and that is still true. those features of which I went into detail would not work. more over, orginally I didnt say they would not work i ASKED YOU how would they work. did I not? features and functions != entire game title

that said, I do not agree with you that xbox controllers and HOTA systems are good enough to carry VR into the 'megastream'
    No you specifically said they would not work.  That they would have to rewrite the entire game code.

You did not ask.. you said "you were a developer and you know first hand" that it would not work.  Do I have to quote you again? 

edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

No you specifically said they would not work.  That they would have to rewrite the entire game code.

You did not ask.. you said "you were a developer and you know first hand" that it would not work.  Do I have to quote you again? 
    I am not going back to check but I am pretty sure I didnt technically say that. I am pretty sure I ASKED YOU how would it work.

What I DID say however is
    1. it would not translate EASILY which is different from 'NOT POSSIBLE'
    2. the specific actions I refered to would be very hard to in xbox/MK/HOTAS setup and more over would be even harder to translate into VR controllers from those controllers once it came out. it IS possible, but very hard. It doesnt make sense to make a game with those advanced movements, translate them in to xbox controllers then later back into VR controllers. some developers DID do that, but some and all are not the same thing
    3. 'a game' and 'a feature or function' are not the same thing. Most of those titles the complete title is completely incompatible without touch style controllers. however those that are function different in those key areas.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I am not going back to check but I am pretty sure I didnt technically say that. I am pretty sure I ASKED YOU how would it work.

2. the specific actions I refered to would be very hard to in xbox/MK/HOTAS setup and more over would be even harder to translate into VR controllers from those controllers once it came out. it IS possible, but very hard. It doesnt make sense to make a game with those advanced movements, translate them in to xbox controllers then later back into VR controllers. some developers DID do that, but some and all are not the same thing
    3. 'a game' and 'a feature or function' are not the same thing. Most of those titles the complete title is completely incompatible without touch style controllers. however those that are function different in those key areas.

LOL and how "convenient" that they just so happen to delete the responses that I had quoted you saying exactly that it was not possible.  I guess "someone" must have flagged them all as "off topic"

Doesn't matter -- you specifically said it wasn't possible.  You specifically said they needed the APIs for touch controls before they ever started development.  You know what you said.  You were wrong.

Now that the posts are deleted, you can easily flip flop,  which is fine, because in the end, now you're arguing my point - that touch controls are working just fine with games that were once created for XB1 controls. 

edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

LOL and how "convenient" that they just so happen to delete the responses t...

I didnt delete jack shit. more over who cares good god. This is not a court of law

bottom line is:

1. you think xbox/mk/hotas controls are 1. good enough to bring VR into the megastream and 2. easy to translate to VR dedicated controllers for advanced movements the dedicated controllers handle naturally. and I dont agree at all.

EDIT: now what I DID say is 'its not possible to program aginast an API for a controller that doesnt exist'

are you saying that statment is not true?

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I didnt delete jack shit. more over who cares good god. This is not a court of law

bottom line is:

1. you think xbox/mk/hotas controls are 1. good enough to bring VR into the megastream and 2. easy to translate to VR dedicated controllers for advanced movements the dedicated controllers handle naturally. and I dont agree at all.

EDIT: now what I DID say is 'its not possible to program aginast an API for a controller that doesnt exist'

No, you said developers wouldn't create a game for a system if there would be different controllers in the future (even if they had no idea those controllers would ever exist) because they would have to rewrite the code from scratch to accommodate the controllers.  

You claim that thats why nobody created games for the Rift while it was still in development and why "3 years from now" we'll see all these games showing up.

I told you that wasn't how development works.  They can very easily create games and add touch support later on.  You said it was impossible. 

You were wrong.  But now it looks like you're agreeing with me.  So we can put this to rest.  You can absolutely add touch support to games that used a gamepad before.  I'm glad you see that now.

Also, as for your number 1 there...  you don't need xbox controls or any controls to make VR mainstream because currently, the broadest, most widely used VR system is a mobile phone which has none of those things. 

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

bottom line is:

No, you said developers wouldn't create a game for a system if there would be different controllers in the future (even if they had no idea those controllers would ever exist) because they would have to rewrite the code from scratch to accommodate the controllers.  
    yes I did say that.

That is not saying 'its not possible'
    nor does it imply that 'developers' means '100% of all developers'
    its a sliding scale. the closer your are to the start the more of an innovative risk taker you are. 

Not sure why that is such a mystery to you.

The large 'push' of developer projects didnt start in 2014 or even 2015 for specific technical reasons I have already gone over with you. The main 'push' of development  starts this year. So expect a 3 year lead time.

you are confusing 'developers' with '100% and absolutly no execption all developers' and I thin kyou know better than that

SEANMCAD said:

yes I did say that.

its a sliding scale. the closer your are to the start the more of an innovative risk taker you are. 

The large 'push' of developer projects didnt start in 2014 or even 2015 for specific technical reasons I have already gone over with you. The main 'push' of development  starts this year. So expect a 3 year lead time.

you are confusing 'developers' with '100% and absolutly no execption all developers' and I thin kyou know better than that

Due to the nature of how this thread was moderated, I can't go back and show you what you said specifically.  You did state it wasn't possible to add it later without rewriting the entire game.  Thats when I brought up Elite Dangerous that added touch support even though the game was out before any commercially released non mobile vr system.

But again, it seems like you're agreeing with me now.  So I think the conversation is moot.   

SEANMCAD said:

yes I did say that.

Due to the nature of how this thread was moderated, I can't go back and show you what you said specifically.  You did state it wasn't possible to add it later without rewriting the entire game.  Thats when I brought up Elite Dangerous that added touch support even though the game was out before any commercially released non mobile vr system.

But again, it seems like you're agreeing with me now.  So I think the conversation is moot.   
    again.

please stop being anal about what was said or not said move on.

I am telling you now and regardless of what I typed in the past it has been my intent to say this.

1. its impossible to program against an API that does not exist for controllers that do not exist.
    2. its very hard to translate the motions I described into a MK/Xbox/HOTAs controller
    3. its problematic to after having done all that work on item 2 to then re-translate it to a future API instead of just waiting for that said API
    4. 'developers' does not mean 100% of all developers, its a sliding scale of those who are willing to take the risk of having their code work no longer valid during a critical part of early hardware development.
    5.  I do not think many of those specific movements i described are easlily translated via an API between how an MK/Xbox/HOTA would do it compared to how a Touch or HTC Vive controller would.

are we clear?

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I did say that.

again.

I am telling you now and regardless of what I typed in the past it has been my intent to say this.

are we clear?

You disagreed with me before, now you agree with me. We are clear. 

edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I did say that.

again.

are we clear?

I am glad to hear that you agree with me that the big major games for the megamasses are not going to come out for another 2 years and why that is which is .1. its impossible to program against an API that does not exist for controllers that do not exist. 2. its very hard to translate the motions I described into a MK/Xbox/HOTAs controller 3. its problematic to after having done all that work on item 2 to then re-translate it to a future API instead of just waiting for that said API 4. 'developers' does not mean 100% of all developers, its a sliding scale of those who are willing to take the risk of having their code work no longer valid during a critical part of early hardware development. 5. I do not think many of those specific movements i described are easlily translated via an API between how an MK/Xbox/HOTA would do it compared to how a Touch or HTC Vive controller would.

THUS games that require a lot of investment most likely didnt even get started in development until this year

edited December 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I did say that.

again.

are we clear?

I am glad to hear that you agree with me that the big major games for the megamasses are not going to come out for another 2 years and why that is which is .1. its impossible to program against an API that does not exist for controllers that do not exist. 2. its very hard to translate the motions I described into a MK/Xbox/HOTAs controller 3. its problematic to after having done all that work on item 2 to then re-translate it to a future API instead of just waiting for that said API 4. 'developers' does not mean 100% of all developers, its a sliding scale of those who are willing to take the risk of having their code work no longer valid during a critical part of early hardware development. 5. I do not think many of those specific movements i described are easlily translated via an API between how an MK/Xbox/HOTA would do it compared to how a Touch or HTC Vive controller would.

THUS games that require a lot of investment most likely didnt even get started in development until this year
    LOL your changing stances aren't me agreeing with you, it just shows you've come a long way from consistently being wrong to moving over to my position because your previous posts aren't around to show your ignorance.  

Oh and by the way, those "movements" don't matter. XB controller games are using Touch controls now.  Fact.   This pretty much invalidates your points about any kind of nonsense to do with the "API's not translating".  It's currently doing it. 

LOL your changing stances aren't me agreeing with you, it just shows you've come a long way from consistently being wrong to moving over to my position because your previous posts aren't around to show your ignorance.  

Oh and by the way, those "movements" don't matter. XB controller games are using Touch controls now.  Fact.   This pretty much invalidates your points about any kind of nonsense to do with the "API's not translating".  It's currently doing it. 
    I have no idea what your talking about right now, or even what this entire conversation was orginally about