Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Everquest 2 have the most content and things to do of any (themepark) MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I can't think of an MMO that is themepark that has even a sliver of a fraction of content in EQ2.

Tons of raids
Alternate advancement
Collectibles (gotta get those shinies!)
The best housing of any themepark MMO (with the exception that Ultima Online is better, but it isn't themepark)
An amazing crafting system with a TON to craft, and one focused entirely on housing
Tons of replayability with all the classes/races
Lots of expansions that add tons of content, even a new one with ascended classes
Tons of lore to find
Huge world to explore, bigger than almost any other themepark

And that is not even most of the features. Just the ones off the top of my head.

The only downside is PvP sucks, no content for that. So it gets negative marks here, because PvP content is EXTREMELY limited and not balanced. EQ2 is a PVE focused game through and through. That is a good thing though. There was a developer that said (I think it was for age of conan) that they wished they either focused ONLY on pvp, or ONLY on PVE...because focusing on both makes no one happy and everyone unhappy.

Free to play is kinda lame too, very limited. They turned it back into a pay to play game really, and everyone on the EQ2 forums agrees that they realized they made more money (not lost it when they focused on free to play) as pay to play, with an OPTIONAL cash shop (no different than WoW's cash shop).

While EQ2 may not have aged well graphics wise, there is still no MMO today with a fraction of content and things to do in EQ2 as far as themeparks go. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    EQ1?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    gervaise1 said:
    EQ1?
    ah, yeah EQ1. I suppose that would indeed have more content than EQ2. I don't know much about EQ1 in truth (been a while since I played), but because of its age, I wouldn't be surprised if it had far more to do than even when I played.  I did play EQ1 years ago, many years ago. So its been a while, and I'm sure a ton has changed/been added.

Still, the Everquest series in general is really good. No other themepark MMOs match it, in terms of content/world/lore. While I haven't played EQ1 in a long time, it was my third MMO (first was Asheron's Call, then Ultima Online (only for 5 months), then went to EQ1 (for 2-3 years) and it was amazing. Even then, in EQ1 it was almost overwhelming almost all the things I could do.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    gervaise1 said:
    EQ1?
    I was thinking the same thing. Pointless thread owned.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mezhumezhu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    More clickbait
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well if you are going to restrict to themeparks , Probably ................Otherwise UO would bury it
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It comes down to revenue. An area that EQ2 had a problem with from day 1. In very simple terms more revenue = more devs = more content. Although WoW's content droughts demonstrated that this doesn't necessarily follow. Bobby Kotick (AB CEO) btw reckons WoW has the most content of any mmo.

However LotR must also be a contender - lots of content post-launch, then a lull, then a resurgence after WarnerBros acquired Turbine. New money and the film franchise etc. 

Then there are the FFs with their regular content drops - not so with XI of course now.

And more recently ESO. Huge amount of content to start with and having had to ditch the mandatory sub quarterly DLC is a key source of revenue.

And unless you have played all the content of all the games I think it is very hard to say. You can't simply go off landmass say or even quest count. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2016
    IMO EQ2 is the best game at what it does.However there is some give and take,it does a few things FFXi does not but FFXI has several content ideas that are not the normal we see in every game.
    However EQ2 does have the housing and all the crafting that goes with it.It also has the super rares that are used to craft really good gear.
    The class structure is however weak,yes you can still have some fun with the classes but not nearly as good as a sub class design.The dmg/accy to number/stat system are done  poorly.Way too much overlap in it's classes and abilities.I also do not like so many 1-2 second timers,i get dizzy seeing a revolving door of spam casting.

Where EQ2 missed the boat is in specializations.Example gear swapping to fight a certain foe,FFXI just blows the doors off of EQ2 in this area and it filters throughout all content.

None the less,obviously i choose FFXI over EQ2 however if not for FFXI,there is a solid chance i would be playing EQ2.BTW i have a LOT of hours in EQ2,i played it for years since launch off/on even during the time i was playing FFXI.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    I can't think of an MMO that is themepark that has even a sliver of a fraction of content in EQ2.

Tons of raids
    Alternate advancement
    Collectibles (gotta get those shinies!)
    The best housing of any themepark MMO (with the exception that Ultima Online is better, but it isn't themepark)
    An amazing crafting system with a TON to craft, and one focused entirely on housing
    Tons of replayability with all the classes/races
    Lots of expansions that add tons of content, even a new one with ascended classes
    Tons of lore to find
    Huge world to explore, bigger than almost any other themepark

And that is not even most of the features. Just the ones off the top of my head.

The only downside is PvP sucks, no content for that. So it gets negative marks here, because PvP content is EXTREMELY limited and not balanced. EQ2 is a PVE focused game through and through. That is a good thing though. There was a developer that said (I think it was for age of conan) that they wished they either focused ONLY on pvp, or ONLY on PVE...because focusing on both makes no one happy and everyone unhappy.

Free to play is kinda lame too, very limited. They turned it back into a pay to play game really, and everyone on the EQ2 forums agrees that they realized they made more money (not lost it when they focused on free to play) as pay to play, with an OPTIONAL cash shop (no different than WoW's cash shop).

While EQ2 may not have aged well graphics wise, there is still no MMO today with a fraction of content and things to do in EQ2 as far as themeparks go. 
    Problem with EQ2 is the severe lack of players playing the game and the animations are atrocious and this is coming from someone who is a massive Everquest franchise lover.  Having played EQ1 for 6 yrs and EQ2 on and off for many years, EQ2's animations are terrible, the graphic engine is a mess which causes huge FPS drops even on high end system, the zones to me feel somewhat like FFXIV, small, crammed everything inside a small, linear instanced type zones, no "world" feel to it... That said does it have content?  Yes, unfortunately the lack of size of their dev team makes for slooooow content updates and the content updates that are released are just not that worthy of some labels that they put on them.  

EQ franchise has never been a huge PvP game.  It HAS PvP in them both but PvE is where the franchise has shined. I truly wish more games would garner this... Hardly any attention on PvP and more focus on PvE.  That would allow for more PvE polish, something a LOT of MMO's lack these days because they have to split their time on PvP bullshit(PvP is fun but a game that focuses more on PvE should FOCUS more on PvE )

Population -  The hindrance to this game alongside a small dev team.  The servers for the most part don't represent what their server status page shows. 
    The population seems rather active to me. Though its all focused on one or two servers. It isn't dead though, and is quite active.

Antonia Bayle is no longer the most populated server. It IS the RP server, but population died off a lot (a lot of people moved from there when they had free server transfers). The RPers on the server said they were happy about it, because they can go back to RPing without being harrassed.

People moved to

Halls of Fate and Maj'Dul. Both are very active servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Before I answer I have to ask, you come up with this question on your own or is it reddit generated?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The population seems rather active to me. Though its all focused on one or two servers. It isn't dead though, and is quite active.

Antonia Bayle is no longer the most populated server. It IS the RP server, but population died off a lot (a lot of people moved from there when they had free server transfers). The RPers on the server said they were happy about it, because they can go back to RPing without being harrassed.

People moved to

Ohhhhh so thats where everybody went from AB.  I was on AB and loved how active it was but now its nowhere near where it used to be.  Where did most ppl from AB go?  Maj or Halls?  Hmm makes me wonder if I should check it out again and possibly transfer
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    May musical arrival beloved luckily adapted him. Shyness mention married son she his started now. Rose if as past near were. To graceful he elegance oh moderate attended entrance pleasure. Vulgar saw fat sudden edward way played either. 

Source: http://randomtextgenerator.com/
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its a long time since i played EQ2, and i can't say that i thought it was overly burdened with content when i did play it, does it really have more content than other fantasy MMO's? granted it has been around for a long time, but does even compare to Blizzards World of Warcraft when it comes to in game content? Does it have as many Raids, Dungeons etc. honestly i don't think it even compares to SW:TOR on that front, i mean, the OP has made an interesting statement, but i haven't heard anything yet that actually supported it that wasn't opinion based? which makes the validity more than somewhat questionable.
    I do agree that the graphics have not aged well for the game, the game is after all a decade or so old at this point and there hasn't been, to my knowledge at least, any kind of graphical updates to 'refresh' the game, as you would normally expect for a game of that age.
    As for the 'expacs' that add a 'ton' of things to the game, the last of which was of a questionable nature and was opined as being little more than a patch.

This new direction of the OP's thread creation seems little more than 'forum grinding' and i cannot help but wonder if the subject game was sufficiently researched by the OP before doing so. O.o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    edited December 2016
    WoW wants to have a word with you! Even Aion I think it might want to have a word with you! 

If you count Runescape, which actually is a sandbox-themepark MMO , then he might want to have a word with you too!

So yeah! But no .. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

People moved to

Ohhhhh so thats where everybody went from AB.  I was on AB and loved how active it was but now its nowhere near where it used to be.  Where did most ppl from AB go?  Maj or Halls?  Hmm makes me wonder if I should check it out again and possibly transfer
    Its pretty close actually for both servers. But, I personally went to Maj'dul since for my time zone (PST) it seemed just a bit more active. Both pretty equal though really. If you join up again, you can make characters and both and see. I haven't hopped on halls of fate for a while (a month ago when I was deciding servers), but I don't see it would have changed in just a month. 

edited December 2016
    Vanguard SOH has more to do with real exploration.
    Vanguard definitely had a lot to do. It doesn't exist anymore though, so it "had" more to do, but now it doesn't.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I always wondered how all of that content could be well done with the pace that they put it out. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    gervaise1 said:
    EQ1?

More content? Yes. More things to do? I'd say no. EQ2 does have a more varied and deeper gameplay experience. Mind you, I'm not saying I like EQ2 more. I actually prefer the gameplay style of EQ more but wish it had EQ2's crafting, graphic fidelity, etc.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Distopia said:
    I always wondered how all of that content could be well done with the pace that they put it out. 

If you're talking about EQ2 I guess the created tools to make zone creation faster.
    Vanguard SOH has more to do with real exploration.
    Vanguard definitely had a lot to do. It doesn't exist anymore though, so it "had" more to do, but now it doesn't.
    Vanguard was incredible in the exploration department.  Massive open world, hundreds of caves to explore, HOW an MMO should be - Massive, open, explorable, open world dungeons.  Not all this instanced bullshit.

People moved to

Its pretty close actually for both servers. But, I personally went to Maj'dul since for my time zone (PST) it seemed just a bit more active. Both pretty equal though really. If you join up again, you can make characters and both and see. I haven't hopped on halls of fate for a while (a month ago when I was deciding servers), but I don't see it would have changed in just a month. 
    Maj then might be good for me as well since im PST as well.  Might have to check it out. Hows the new expansion holding up?  Looks small... as usual.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Before I answer I have to ask, you come up with this question on your own or is it reddit generated?

All Hail the Mighty Reddit Generator!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"