Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Are you a fan of the "survival sandbox" genre?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited December 2016 in Polls
Are you a fan of games like DayZ, Rust, ARK, and the like? Vote and tell us why or why not!

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Yes , some of them i really like at this time 7Days to Die is best imo ... Also really really like Project Zomboid
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Scorchien said:
    Yes , some of them i really like at this time 7Days to Die is best imo ... Also really really like Project Zomboid
    Project Zomboid is definitely one of the most fleshed out of these sorts of games. It's just kind of clunky/an eyesore to look at.

You forgot to vote, btw!
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited December 2016
    I like the idea of the survival sandbox. But mostly it is only good on the paper. I believe we will see great games for this genre in the future but for now I don't like them. I'm waiting for the Dark and Light and I hope it will be good for me to play.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    They can be quite fun, even though most of them boil down to deathmatch arenas in multiplayer mode.

The genre is evolving slowly beyond its crude origins in DayZ. There are increasingly sophisticated offerings appearing, which entail more than just "steal everybody's stuff and break what you can't steal"... :D
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    absolutely!

I almost left gaming completely in 2013.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    They are fun for me at the beginning, but once you are established they get pretty boring.   

I like Don't Starve,  that's a fun little game. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I love the idea.  They need to fix it though.  Give it ESO,GW2, or WOW style combat and I'm sold.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I tried a few of them and really like 7days to die. I was kind of sad that they dumbed down a little bit so it would work on console, but the guys who make the came are constantly in contact with people who play the game and do a good job trying to get what people are asking for into the game.

I think this Genre can evolve into something i wanted MMOs to evolve into before they all turned into single play RPGs with the word MMO in them.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    They are fun for me at the beginning, but once you are established they get pretty boring.   

I like Don't Starve,  that's a fun little game. 
    Dont forget... Hey whats that noise behind me?    Oh I just crapped myself.

Human Fecespng
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    As an mmoRPG, generally no.  Pen and Paper RPGs sure!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

For me they all seem to contain the vestiges of the type of game I do like but sadly haven't meshed well together to create a full fledged game I enjoy. Everything just seems lesser and half-assed.

I see story driven games and FPSs to basically just lack features and content so there!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    To be honest I haven't seriously got into one yet, too much pvp with too little pve. I'm hoping Conan and Dark & Light will change that.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    To be honest I haven't seriously got into one yet, too much pvp with too little pve. I'm hoping Conan and Dark & Light will change that.
    I think all three of those games have PvE servers

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I played so much ARK over the summer with my kids that I was sure my wife was going to ask for a divorce
    O.o
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Yes, but i'm very picky in that regard.
    If the overall setting is too odd to me, i'll pass.

Talonsin said:
    I played so much ARK over the summer with my kids that I was sure my wife was going to ask for a divorce
    O.o
    so then you just told her 'fair enough I will play Rust instead'...ha!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I don't know yet. Dark and Light and the new Conan game will be my first experience.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Idk, I just don't like the whole having to remember to eat, shit, etc. sounds too much like real life. I do enjoy watching people play survival games some times though. America is my favourite. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Idk, I just don't like the whole having to remember to eat, shit, etc. sounds too much like real life. I do enjoy watching people play survival games some times though. America is my favourite. Can't wait to see how it ends.
    With Charlie Sheen as President

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I would prefer PvE sandbox with crafting as a main system to make progress. FFA PvP kills a game for me instantly.
    deniter said:
    I would prefer PvE sandbox with crafting as a main system to make progress. FFA PvP kills a game for me instantly.
    have you looked into Wurm Online? its exactly that

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    deniter said:

Wurm Online has PVE servers. 

deniter said:

Wurm Online has PVE servers. 
    the only game i enjoy playing AND can watch TV while playing it...ha!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Bore me.  More of a quest/story driven MMO  player. 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    No. I don't like games that are simply driven by the PvP churn (EVE, etc.) and survival seems to mean PvP for the most part. As for a hardcore game where there is a lot of detail and need to know what to do to to thrive, that does sound good to me. CoE will pass or fail for me depending largely on whether it is more of an RPG or more of a Survival Game. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file