Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Round of Closed Beta Testing to Begin on December 14th - Life is Feudal - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFirst Round of Closed Beta Testing to Begin on December 14th - Life is Feudal - MMORPG.com

Life is Feudal News - BitBox and Xsolla have announced that the first round of closed beta testing for the MMO side of Life is Feudal is set to kick off on December 14th. Players can sign up to become one of a thousand randomly selected players for the first test. To obtain guaranteed access, players can purchase Bronze, Silver or Gold "contribution packs", each complete with in-game rewards and items.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The likelihood of getting into the first 1000 testers without buying a "contribution pack" is probably vanishingly small.

It's a very clever marketing move, I'm sure they'll easily sell 1000 contribution packs this way.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I thought this game was released already?

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited November 2016

This is the MMORPG one with a persistent world. This was their goal all along. The other game is server based with small populations.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Ehhhhhhhhhh...might need more time in the oven.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Thanks, guys :) I clarified the intro to reflect that it's the "MMO-side of LiF". :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Torval said:

This is the MMORPG one with a persistent world. This was their goal all along. The other game is server based with small populations.

I'm glad they're finally getting this part off the ground. It's been a long time coming and I have a lot of respect for their perseverance.

I also like how they started the project small as a single/coop player game and then worked on the mmo/networking components after that. It showed a lot of foresight. It seems like most every other indie dev out there tries to make an mmo, gets overwhelmed (read spends all their money), and then pulls a bait and switch and puts out a shell of a game in hopes of making enough money to make an mmo. I'm not throwing stones at Repop... Oh wait, yes I am.

but thats what the repop is doing the same thing these guys are doing now
    Torval said:
    Raxeon said:

Torval said:

I'm glad they're finally getting this part off the ground. It's been a long time coming and I have a lot of respect for their perseverance.

I also like how they started the project small as a single/coop player game and then worked on the mmo/networking components after that. It showed a lot of foresight. It seems like most every other indie dev out there tries to make an mmo, gets overwhelmed (read spends all their money), and then pulls a bait and switch and puts out a shell of a game in hopes of making enough money to make an mmo. I'm not throwing stones at Repop... Oh wait, yes I am.

Uh, no. Repop tried to make an mmo first and failed. Then they regrouped and put out some bland survival game in hopes of making enough money to re-start their mmo. They sold and mmo and delivered

These guys started with the simpler prototype first and then mmo second. What they sold is what they delivered. Then they're using what they've built to create and sell their mmo vision. It's about the exact opposite of how a lot of crowdfunding has worked.
    You need to check your facts before making such spurious allegations, lol

Repop did  not "try to make an MMO and failed". They made a perfectly functional MMO based on the Hero Engine. I played that Early Access version right up until the developers of Hero Engine shut their doors because they had run out of money.

At the end of 2015, the Hero developers ceased operations "indefinitely" while they searched for a new investor to fund their further existence. Hero Engine is developed at a loss, the company cannot function without continuous external funding, so their future is very precarious.

At that point, the Repop devs had to make a difficult decision. Continue using Hero and deal with the "funding crises" for however long it takes, or else port their game to a more reliable and future-proof engine. They quite understandably chose the latter option.

The survival game that's been released this year (Fragmented) gives Repop backers something to play while the MMO is ported to the Unreal engine. It also serves as a test-bed for the MMO conversion, seeing as all the assets in Fragmented will be used in the eventual MMO.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Yeah Torval take that! JK anyways I agree with torval
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Raxeon said:

Torval said:

Uh, no. Repop tried to make an mmo first and failed. Then they regrouped and put out some bland survival game in hopes of making enough money to re-start their mmo. They sold and mmo and delivered

These guys started with the simpler prototype first and then mmo second. What they sold is what they delivered. Then they're using what they've built to create and sell their mmo vision. It's about the exact opposite of how a lot of crowdfunding has worked.
    You need to check your facts before making such spurious allegations, lol

Repop did  not "try to make an MMO and failed". They made a perfectly functional MMO based on the Hero Engine. I played that Early Access version right up until the developers of Hero Engine shut their doors because they had run out of money.

At the end of 2015, the Hero developers ceased operations "indefinitely" while they searched for a new investor to fund their further existence. Hero Engine is developed at a loss, the company cannot function without continuous external funding, so their future is very precarious.

At that point, the Repop devs had to make a difficult decision. Continue using Hero and deal with the "funding crises" for however long it takes, or else port their game to a more reliable and future-proof engine. They quite understandably chose the latter option.

The survival game that's been released this year (Fragmented) gives Repop backers something to play while the MMO is ported to the Unreal engine. It also serves as a test-bed for the MMO conversion, seeing as all the assets in Fragmented will be used in the eventual MMO.
    My facts are spot on. You're wordsmithing and trying to dilute the facts so they don't sound so bad.

They sold an mmo in crowdfunding. They tried to make an mmo. They ran out of money and failed (it shutdown early). It's easy to blame Hero, but they made that choice and should own it, and the fact is Hero isn't out of business and didn't go through any more of a rough patch than Crytek did. Are we going to blame Crytek for bad development decisions and amateur practices now?

So they sold an MMO and delivered a game no one asked for as a desperate stunt to keep their vision afloat.

My point in that original comment was to commend the LiF team for doing it the right way. They deserve some credit and kudos for that. The point wasn't just to throw repop under the bus. They were just an easy example of how to do it wrong and screw your customers over in the process. I could have used Pathfinder too.
    You're accusing the Repop devs of perpetuating a fraud then ?

Because it sounds like you're saying that they are not actually busy porting Repop to the Unreal engine.

You don't seem to understand the implications of the "indefinite" Hero shutdown that occurred at the end of 2015. The Hero engine devs provided an extensive support service to devs using their engine. Early Access games were hosted on their servers. Game sales were processed through Hero backends. New player registrations were handled via Hero backends.  Game devs used Hero servers for development.

All those largely free support services were very attractive to indie devs.

But all those support services stopped abruptly when Hero shut down operations. Further sales of Repop could not be processed. The Repop devs lost access to their development servers. And that situation was set to continue indefinitely until IdeaFabrik (the Hero developers) could secure a new source of investor capital.

Developing your MMO on an engine with a very uncertain future is insanely risky. Ironically, Repop was Hero's best hope for future revenue in thye short to medium term. I'd not be surprised to see IdeaFabrik bought by a Chinese company in the near future for a bargain basement price.
  • RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Have to agree with SpottyGekko on this one. I was also there at the time this sad series of events occurred as well, and the Repop devs were always totally transparent about the situation once they were free from the legal bindings/contract clauses that prevented them from fully explaining the situation when it initially went down. Sorry Torval but on this one you are incorrect. The Repop did not run out of money during development before the Hero Engine debacle. They were screwed by the engine owners and made a tough call and kept the community in the loop all the way. Once they were screwed well of course they lost money. Moral of the story NEVER EVER make an MMORPG using Hero Engine :P

To get back to topic though, great effort from this indie dev team to employ such a clever strategy. It seems as though it will pay off for them and there player base.
  • faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I had the chance to jump into their last closed beta test a few weeks back. IMO it is far from ready. Still. Which is quite frankly astonishing.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Unfortunately this game is destined for complete and utter failure.

You cant have an RP type open world MMO with no rules open PvP. Even on the small servers with some hardcore rules a few of the usual trolls ruined server after server by going to them and pissing people off.

I have a lot of hours in the game and if it were done 'right' it could be THE game, but unfortunately these guys are adamant about keeping the game the way it is. I suspect once the population craters and they try and change it it will be far too late, like it is with every other game out there that tries to be 'hardcore'. Everyone claims to be on board until they get owned then they just quit.

While SOME PvP is Ok and should be expected and even encourages with a system like this one has it will be a complete cluster and it will drive 75% of the people away from the game the fist week. And save all the 'there are in game solutions to this', thats crap and everyone knows it.

Great concept, good ideas, decent mechanics, best world manipulation game there is. But the implementation of their system is a complete failure.
  • blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174
    When are the 1000 free beta keys being given away? I'm already a LiFYO owner and don't want to have to buy one of the contribution packs knowing I may be able to obtain one of these keys .. thanks for any feedback!
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited December 2016
    $40 dollar cant be €30 ?:P

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

Torval said:

And yet Hero Engine, just like Cry is still here. It's just so sad to put the blame on the engine. They failed at their mmo and didn't deliver on what people bought into. Whitewash it any way you want. That's what happened.

I never brought up fraud or any other ridiculous melodrama. They were just being indie devs that made horrible mistakes. I'm not saying they are bad people or had bad intentions, but the results of their inexperience and poor choices played out on the customer. Too many indie projects, especially the crowd-funded, make these mistakes. They're not alone in this, including some veteran developers, but they do make a great case study.

The LiF team either had the experience or learned from previous mistakes and are building their system starting with the horse and adding the cart later. It's great to see this in a project.

I have no bone in either project. I hope the Repop people learn from their mistakes and do come out with their mmo and it delivers. I hope that the LiF team keeps on track building a solid foundation and that this is successful too. Mostly I hope other indie projects, vet or newbie, look at some of strengths of this project and incorporate them.

Well, they ACTUALLY tried the MMO part first. I know, cause I was there testing it. They realized they needed alot more time, so they made LiF to fund them. So it was NOT LiF before the MMO part. They tried MMO part, couldn't put it out, to fund it they made LiF. Just like Repop now are doing with Fragmented.