Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft releases minimum specs for Windows 10 VR Headsets

124»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    gervaise1 said:
    Will be interesting to see what cross-overs - if any - Microsoft bring to the VR party.

As far as capability vs. price goes hard to judge on price alone. Is it a price a) that includes a decent profit margin b) priced at "cost" designed to promote XB1 sales c) subsidised to promote sales or VR and or XB1.  

And - of course - the passage of time tends to result in "better tech or yesterday's tech at a lower price".

As far as USB ports go wireless is a goal and Intel's Project Alloy goal was compared to Microsoft's HoloLens in the summer. Now the hardware side of HoloLens is very serious - hence the HoloLens price tag. Whilst these VR units will (I assume all versions?) will be tethered wireless must be planned.

Whatever I am sure that, in part, this announcement just before the start of Holiday sales (Black Friday through Christmas) is aimed at current XB1 owners, future XB1 owners who might be interested in VR and potential VR owners. "Don't buy before you see what will be available from $299." Can't fault them for that.

Wireless VR that can have the same latency as wired is the future, its not however the now.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

not sure what your talking about but let me catch you up.

MS VR has one USB connection. Oculus and Vive have two.

question: why

answer: the underlining technology of USB is likely known by all parties, MS is likely at the level of a consumer product not pulling a rabit out of the hat that the competors are not aware of.
    The HTC Vive system specs state you only need "1 x USB 2.0 or better port"

https://www.vive.com/us/support/faqs/GUID-ABA623FC-B51F-43F7-B2B5-D4C83A37C992.html
    that is actually very fascinating to learn. thanks

I feel better now about buying an Oculus. I would assume two USB 3.0 ports in use over the long term is going to have better performance, response and in general better gaming experience then 1 USB 2.0 would.

So what specifically of substance in which might affects a persons position does this information have?
    Cabling is so old school ;) 
    how do I explain this.....no never mind.

wires for now are faster. that is the best I can do
    Sarcasm for a silly comment
    SEANMCAD said:
    I feel better now about buying an Oculus. I would assume two USB 3.0 ports in use over the long term is going to have better performance, response and in general better gaming experience then 1 USB 2.0 would.

My first experience with 3d camera technology used for proximity detection and motion control was back in 2003 with this product.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

answer: the underlining technology of USB is likely known by all parties, MS is likely at the level of a consumer product not pulling a rabit out of the hat that the competors are not aware of.

https://www.vive.com/us/support/faqs/GUID-ABA623FC-B51F-43F7-B2B5-D4C83A37C992.html

So what specifically of substance in which might affects a persons position does this information have?

SEANMCAD said:

My first experience with 3d camera technology used for proximity detection and motion control was back in 2003 with this product.

yes and additive production has been around for decades as well as VR. so what??

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

yes and additive production has been around for decades as well as VR. so what??
    It's just fun and interesting watching these technologies evolve from their high cost industrial/military beginnings to affordable consumer entertainment products.

Some believe that these types of technologies were just invented but in truth they have just been refined to the point of affordability to the masses.

In short, Its the research and development in these types of products that makes things like VR affordable to the general public.

I own a machine that produces an LED laser light. The light is 0.004" in diameter and travels through a plastic filament the thickness of you hair. That light will cut through 1 1/2" thick stainless steel.

Maybe one day they'll have a Black-n-Decker LED laser table saw.

Technology is fucking amazing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited November 2016
    In my industry they have a 3D scanner to map the inclusions within a diamond, determine the best possible yields within the diamond, and mark it for cutting or begin cutting. All to make higher quality, better proportioned diamonds cheaper.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Some more news surfaces about the MIcrosoft and Rift "partnership"  

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/microsoft-xbox-one-vr-streaming/

"It’s exciting news for Rift owners, but don’t get your hopes up — it doesn’t mean you’ll be playing your games in VR. Well, you will, just not the way you might think. The Rift app essentially creates a VR environment in which you can play your games, the app reportedly includes three different environments you can immerse yourself in while you immerse yourself in your games.

"

So basically, come December 12th, you can get a Rift app for XB1 and use your headset to basically play regular xbox games in a "VR environment"  haha,  I wouldn't call that something worth the download.. but..  I guess it could be a good consolation prize after Microsoft is essentially taking away Oculus's hope of being the preferred VR headset for XB1

"It’s exciting news for Rift owners, but don’t get your hopes up — it doesn’t mean you’ll be playing your games in VR. Well, you will, just not the way you might think. The Rift app essentially creates a VR environment in which you can play your games, the app reportedly includes three different environments you can immerse yourself in while you immerse yourself in your games.

"

So basically, come December 12th, you can get a Rift app for XB1 and use your headset to basically play regular xbox games in a "VR environment"  haha,  I wouldn't call that something worth the download.. but..  I guess it could be a good consolation prize after Microsoft is essentially taking away Oculus's hope of being the preferred VR headset for XB1
    of course not.

sweet jesus people Steam did this about 3 months ago and its obviously a standard feature anyone should expect from ALL gaming VR headsets to be frank.

is it awesome town? no clearly not but what gaming service would not want to do that given its basically one click all games solution for ALL games where the developers have not done specific VR work.

This should not be a shocker to anyone

SEANMCAD said:

"

of course not.

sweet jesus people Steam did this about 3 months ago and its obviously a standard feature anyone should expect from ALL gaming VR headsets to be frank.

is it awesome town? no clearly not but what gaming service would not want to do that given its basically one click all games solution for ALL games where the developers have not done specific VR work.

Why the attitude about it?  This is completely different than Steam offering a solution to play non-vr games on their headset.  We're talking about a completely separate piece of hardware,  millions more people being brought into a potential VR space.

This could have gone 2 ways.

1) Actually support and put out VR games on the XB1 with the Rift App to get XB1 players to buy a Rift

or 

2) If you already have a Rift, you can happily sit in a VR room and play your games as before.

Where's the incentive?  

SEANMCAD said:

"

of course not.

Why the attitude about it?  This is completely different than Steam offering a solution to play non-vr games on their headset.  We're talking about a completely separate piece of hardware,  millions more people being brought into a potential VR space.

1) Actually support and put out VR games on the XB1 with the Rift App to get XB1 players to buy a Rift

or 

2) If you already have a Rift, you can happily sit in a VR room and play your games as before.

Where's the incentive?  
    no that is really not a proper assessment.

Look its PAINFULLY obvious to everyone that one could take all video games, all movies and throw them up on a screen in VR and it would be easy. That should be EXTREEMLY obvious to anyone who has followed VR for anymore than a week.

it should also be EXTREEMLY obvious that not doing it would be silly.

so yeah..I expect all headsets to be doing this...no shocker here, its not even news worth reporting.

Seconding it should be EXTREEMLY obvious for people to know throwing ALL video games on to a screen in VR is easier then changing ALL of them to have VR specicic features.

holy mother of blaz

edited November 2016
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:

"

of course not.

or 
    Where's the incentive?  
    You nailed it and I think it is PAINFULLY obvious that Rift has fucked themselves out of any good partnership. It should not be a shocker to anyone even though it's "sold out more often than not". :chuffed:

Rift should never had tried to put up a walled garden. It was a bad move and they're paying for it. Google and Apple can do that with Android and iOS because they are established and dominate the marketplace.

That sort of reality is hard for some people to choke on. I think that sparks the attitude because the narrative isn't playing out as predicted. VR could end up finding its place despite the horrible mistakes Rift and HTC have made.
    lol....

well done only you dont know what I dont give a shit about and that is VR console wars.

still nicely done

never the less, like many of my predictions I am not surprised by this one either

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The only interesting part about this news is Microsoft's furthering down the consumer electronics path. 
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    WHAT IF... all the bs back and forth about USB, information sharing, and patents is completely and absolutely irrelevant due to the fact that these are MINIMUM specs? 

WHAT IF... the minimum specs account for using a standard keyboard and mouse or Microsoft partnered with, or shared info with, some random unknown company that makes console controllers that could be used with an IR port? o.O

WHAT IF... the RECOMMENDED specs come out and state 2 or *gasp* 3 USB 3.0 ports or even a Kinect for motion sensing?

If some people don't like others jumping to conclusions based on early info and press releases then they should probably set an example and not do the same.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Microsoft said that the headsets will start at $299 and will include inside-out tracking sensors, obviating the need for external cameras or laser systems like those on the current Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer are all listed as partners.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/13418156/microsoft-windows-10-holographic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price
    interesting. I wonder how they are doing it with just one USB port.
    thanks for the info
    Because Microsoft has one of the best tech R&D facilities in the world.
    yeah thats not good enough given their presence in the market place for consumer products.

I suspect its simply not as good as say an HTC. I am not saying that is a bad thing I am just saying its likely more like a Sony
    The have a top tiered console that has beat out everything the last 4 months straight with a much more powerful one coming soon. Sold over 84 million 360's and currently have a comfortable market share with the Surface and Surface Pro. Now are offering up an affordable and practical VR solution for the masses. I would say they are doing fine in the consumer products market.  The future looks bright indeed.
    Lol come on.  Beat the ps4 after coming out with a new console after losing for like 25 months out of 30?  Maybe worse than that.  The Xbox 1, just like the original box, and 360 has done nothing but cost MS money and been under the chopping block annually.  
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    laserit said:

It's just fun and interesting watching these technologies evolve from their high cost industrial/military beginnings to affordable consumer entertainment products.

Some believe that these types of technologies were just invented but in truth they have just been refined to the point of affordability to the masses.

In short, Its the research and development in these types of products that makes things like VR affordable to the general public.

I own a machine that produces an LED laser light. The light is 0.004" in diameter and travels through a plastic filament the thickness of you hair. That light will cut through 1 1/2" thick stainless steel.

Maybe one day they'll have a Black-n-Decker LED laser table saw.

Technology is fucking amazing.
    Seriously sorta off topic but reading whole thread for entertainment. For obvious reasons most people know.  Got pics? Even if you don't toss them up in this thread. toss them up in Off topic. I really am curious what it looks like.
  • ann4ann4 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Am I the only one who a little put off by having read so many negative VR stories in the media? Heh.

Hiya!  Would you date a gamer girl? Look at the page I made. Hope you like!  <3 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Not really. Look how many negative stories there were for the original cell phones, etc. VR is coming, this is the first generation, so expect this.

• ann4ann4 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Fair point.

Personally, I'm not sure VR is for me just yet but it certainly seems to be popular.
    Hiya!  Would you date a gamer girl? Look at the page I made. Hope you like!  <3 
    botrytis said:
    Not really. Look how many negative stories there were for the original cell phones, etc. VR is coming, this is the first generation, so expect this.
    Depends what you mean by original cell phones.  If you're talking about way back in the day with "Car Phones"  or original brick handsets, there weren't a lot of negatives generally. 

If you're talking about the first sets of Smartphones, the reviews were mixed.  Windows Mobile wasn't ever a smash hit.   Blackberries started out very strong out of the gate.  The first iPhone and Android handset were considered "Revolutionary" 

So, which original cell phones are you equating to the current host of VR Headsets - because what VR headsets are now is basically where the iPhone was back then.

VR has been around since the 80s.

botrytis said:
    Depends what you mean by original cell phones.  If you're talking about way back in the day with "Car Phones"  or original brick handsets, ....
    despite the fact that I think we all know what the poster meant despite your post, I do not think you know what you claim to be true about the 80s