Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm playing Archeage.. despite all the hate.

Comments

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I'm currently patching BDO, maybe I'll give them both a go. I had to buy BDO and I paid full price for it, so I might as well get some use out of it. I did enjoy the combat a lot more.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    mcrippins said:
    Archeage could have easily been the best PvP MMO out there had they gone with a different business model, and maybe a few other tweaks/changes. I don't really blame Trion much for this, as they didn't really have much of a say in that, but the pre-cash shop beta was some of the most fun i've had in a game.
    You should try the fresh start servers coming out on the 10th. They are severely limiting what is available in the cash shop for the first few months. If you're an active player you might be to the point that it doesn't really matter to you that much when it happens.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Don't be all snarky to people who may have been apart of Archeage since beta, because you're just now going through the honeymoon phase. It's so ignorantly blissful and corny. 

"Hey there's a nasty piece of traffic about 50 miles down the road"
    "I don't know what you haters are talking about it's perfectly fine where I'm at"

=\
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    raystantz said:
    ...I enjoy random world PVP, and that's the thing I like to do the most...
    If that's your main focus, then I'd suggest you steer clear of AA. You have 0 chance of being competitive in PVP unless you dump a lot of money into the game and pick one of the high performing classes such as Darkrunner, Shadowblade, Daggerspell, etc. I played AA for a year and a half and had a lot of fun but my main focus was farming, crafting, and trade runs.
    It's not a main focus in that I'm constantly gearing and thinking about how much of a bad ass I'm going to be and how I'm going to steam roll every player I come across. It's more of, when I'm out in the world I expect to come across other players who want to kill me, and I'll probably come across players I'll also want to kill.. or assist in some massive battle somewhere out in the world.

I think there are a ton of definitions about what it means to enjoy PVP in a game. Back in Vanilla WoW it was the same idea.. you win some, you lose some.. I didn't necessarily go looking for it, but sometimes.. sure it was a fun escape from questing etc. 

I guess I don't know what "competitive" in Archeage means. 
    On a legacy server you're gonna get shit on by people who have literally spent thousands of dollars on the game. And you'll get shit on so fast that you won't even know what happened. Burst damage in the game is ridiculous. There's a handful of classes out of the 120 possibilities that are actually viable in PVP, the rest will just get shit on in even greater amounts. I can't stress enough how much it would behoove you to wait until fresh start servers come out.
    Even if I wait for fresh start, what will that change? I've already stressed that I'm a casual player. I'm not going to be on the fresh start server with an already mapped out plan of action on how I can get the best gear. I'm just going to play. If being a casual player AND participating in PVP without constantly being slaughtered is not an option then maybe I will go elsewhere.. I just don't know where else to go. I'm not interested in instanced PVP.
    Depending on how casual you are I could show you how to get setup right. If you can average 1-2 hours a day I think you can reach a point where in 6-9 months when the floodgates are open you'll very likely be able to compete on somewhat even terms with the people coming in.

If you can't average 1-2 hours a day then yeah... you're always going to have to deal with massive gear disparity unless you start swiping.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Good for you I guess.
    For me AA sucks and are boring.
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming you're a victim of the "prolonged use" syndrome that Archlyte was talking about above?
    Boring quest system to lvl 30 then pointless gameplay, glad you enjoy that crap, I don't.
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Good for you I guess.
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming you're a victim of the "prolonged use" syndrome that Archlyte was talking about above?
    Boring quest system to lvl 30 then pointless gameplay, glad you enjoy that crap, I don't.
    I guess I just don't understand then, it's the exact same gameplay that's in pretty much every other MMO on the market. I'm assuming you're not playing any at all,
    Asian and Western MMO are not a like
    , only difference is that Asian MMOs tend to have better graphics.
    I play EVE, GW2 and ESO and none of those 3 comes even close to how bad AA is.
    That's awesome, but none of those have world pvp and that's why I find those boring (except EVE.. pretty sure EVE does, but space isn't my cup of tea.) I own GW2 and ESO, and I just don't like instanced PVP, just like those boring quests are boring to you.. zoning into an instance to get a PVP fix takes all of the fun and element of surprise out of it for me. Just my personal preference. People are still telling me to stay away from AA if that is what I like to do, but I don't really know where else to go, because nothing else offers unrestricted pvp out in the world AND decent PVE content, it's either one or the other. I've tried them all.. Darkfall etc.
    UO
    Scorchien said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Good for you I guess.
    Maurgrim said:
    raystantz said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Good for you I guess.
    I guess I just don't understand then, it's the exact same gameplay that's in pretty much every other MMO on the market. I'm assuming you're not playing any at all,
    Asian and Western MMO are not a like
    , only difference is that Asian MMOs tend to have better graphics.
    I play EVE, GW2 and ESO and none of those 3 comes even close to how bad AA is.
    That's awesome, but none of those have world pvp and that's why I find those boring (except EVE.. pretty sure EVE does, but space isn't my cup of tea.) I own GW2 and ESO, and I just don't like instanced PVP, just like those boring quests are boring to you.. zoning into an instance to get a PVP fix takes all of the fun and element of surprise out of it for me. Just my personal preference. People are still telling me to stay away from AA if that is what I like to do, but I don't really know where else to go, because nothing else offers unrestricted pvp out in the world AND decent PVE content, it's either one or the other. I've tried them all.. Darkfall etc.
    UO
    Great game for it's time. 

Currently playing:

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    The game doesnt have a real goal. You can be alnad baron which is what I was when I played buying up all the plots of land you could playing the AH and amassing more money to buy more land, but then what?

You have cash but are bottle necked with the stupidest RNG system ever created, created fror the sole purpose of selling items in the store that supposedly improved those RNG chances. The kick was those things sold for real cash no in game currency option. They did start selling lower ones for the currency you bought but by then it was too late.

The game seems fine at first but after a few months you see there really isnt any sort of goal to it and the 'journey' isnt all that hard either. So it lacks a lot of the fundamental stuff any MMO should have.

I went back about a year ago and bought up some plots but I didnt even play long enough to bother worrying about taxes. The game just doesnt have any long term rewards coimg out of it.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Eldurian said:
    mcrippins said:
    Archeage could have easily been the best PvP MMO out there had they gone with a different business model, and maybe a few other tweaks/changes. I don't really blame Trion much for this, as they didn't really have much of a say in that, but the pre-cash shop beta was some of the most fun i've had in a game.
    You should try the fresh start servers coming out on the 10th. They are severely limiting what is available in the cash shop for the first few months. If you're an active player you might be to the point that it doesn't really matter to you that much when it happens.
    Yeah, definitely planning to check it out. Last time I played I got to 55 and had some fun in arena for a while, but then got frustrated with trying to get more top end gear. We'll see how this goes. A lot of the new features look promising.
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112

The problem with staying on a legacy server is that most of them are already suffering from rapidly shrinking populations and nothing kills an MMO more than the feeling that you're in a ghost town. When the fresh start servers arrive, so many more people will be leaving the legacy servers to play "fresh", that legacy servers will be even more desolate. Maybe you'll enjoy playing in a low population environment; to me, that defeats the whole purpose of playing an MMO.

If you like world PvP in a fantasy setting, you might want to take a look at Albion Online. Because it is being made to play on both PCs and mobile tablets, the graphics aren't on a par with ArcheAge (few games are, the game is beautiful), but if gameplay is important to you, Albion has it in spades. Not only is there open world PvP, in most zones it's also full loot. It's also very sandboxy, with a player generated economy based on farming and crafting, etc. Lots to do, a very interesting and deep player progression system, and a great development team that is dedicated to keeping the game true to their original vision.

Me, I'll be playing AA on the fresh start servers on December 10. Why? Because for me, the journey is what it's all about.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will be checking out the new servers. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Eldurian said:
    Now you're just being a fool. You're assuming the build is sub par when you clearly know about as much about playing a healer in PvP as I do playing a tank in PvE. Which is almost nothing.

Like I said. I personally found it stronger than a templar it's just a bit harder to play because it's busier (You have to be able to heal and CC at the same time while a templar only has to worry about healing and surviving.) Maybe a sub-optimal build for someone of average skill which is why it hasn't caught on but if you have it mapped out right it's better in small group open-world PvP, better on boats, better in 3v3s and can even win 1v1s because of your witchcraft pet. Pretty much the only thing it isn't better at is sitting in the back lines and managing healthbars in mass fights like Halcyona. 
    Builds generally don't catch on when they're sub-optimal. There's a limited number of ways to build a specific class. There aren't any secret builds at this point, everything has been tried. The high performing builds become popular, while the sub-optimal ones fall by the wayside. Shadowbane is all about cc'ing opponents, mana draining, using defense to survive the wombo-combo of darkrunners/shadowblades, and tossing out some heals. Those are its strengths. Without songcraft or auramancy I would never consider it as a primary healer. I mained a Paladin, it was tough as nails as a combat/off-healer and great in 1v1's but I would never run it as a primary healer, especially in group pvp.

Anyway, I didn't come into this thread to get into a pissing match about classes and builds. I gave the OP legit advice about the type of shit he can expect if he decides to play on a legacy server with whales and people who are geared to the teeth from playing for so long. If he decides to play, his absolute best bet to have a good experience is to play on the fresh start server when it releases.
    So you don't think that people will be leaving the legacy servers in droves to create brand new accounts?
    They very well may be, but they will be starting over from scratch, they can't take any of their stuff with them.
    Eldurian said:

You don't know how to play a Shadowbane. I do. You're speculating based on what you've heard. I'm detailing what I've actually done.

Builds don't generally catch on unless they are easy to play. If you are aren't a scrub it opens up a whole array of really cool builds that may be better for you. Shadowbane's a more strategic build but it's only sub-optimal if you are a sub-optimal player.

I've played Shadowbane , along with many other classes, which is why I know its strengths. There's nothing strategic about it. Defense/Witchcraft/X and Defense/Vitalism/X are some of the lowest skillcap builds in the game. That's why when balanced arenas came out, everyone and their mother was running Defense/Witchcraft. The build you linked has the same cookie cutter skills that everyone running those skillsets used.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    I'm actually going to say this.....   WOW or Rift pvp server.  And someone be sure to necro this thread in 6 months and see if he changed his mind.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Forgrimm said:
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Eldurian said:
    Now you're just being a fool. You're assuming the build is sub par when you clearly know about as much about playing a healer in PvP as I do playing a tank in PvE. Which is almost nothing.

Like I said. I personally found it stronger than a templar it's just a bit harder to play because it's busier (You have to be able to heal and CC at the same time while a templar only has to worry about healing and surviving.) Maybe a sub-optimal build for someone of average skill which is why it hasn't caught on but if you have it mapped out right it's better in small group open-world PvP, better on boats, better in 3v3s and can even win 1v1s because of your witchcraft pet. Pretty much the only thing it isn't better at is sitting in the back lines and managing healthbars in mass fights like Halcyona. 
    Builds generally don't catch on when they're sub-optimal. There's a limited number of ways to build a specific class. There aren't any secret builds at this point, everything has been tried. The high performing builds become popular, while the sub-optimal ones fall by the wayside. Shadowbane is all about cc'ing opponents, mana draining, using defense to survive the wombo-combo of darkrunners/shadowblades, and tossing out some heals. Those are its strengths. Without songcraft or auramancy I would never consider it as a primary healer. I mained a Paladin, it was tough as nails as a combat/off-healer and great in 1v1's but I would never run it as a primary healer, especially in group pvp.

Anyway, I didn't come into this thread to get into a pissing match about classes and builds. I gave the OP legit advice about the type of shit he can expect if he decides to play on a legacy server with whales and people who are geared to the teeth from playing for so long. If he decides to play, his absolute best bet to have a good experience is to play on the fresh start server when it releases.
    So you don't think that people will be leaving the legacy servers in droves to create brand new accounts?
    They very well may be, but they will be starting over from scratch, they can't take any of their stuff with them.
    They are taking a ton of experience and knowledge of the game... I mean, look at you guys fighting over who knows more about the game! I'm going to play BDO and mess around in AA until the new servers open. I wanted to play something now, and not 9 days from now lol.. because I have time off right now.

Currently playing:

filmoret said:
    I'm actually going to say this.....   WOW or Rift pvp server.  And someone be sure to necro this thread in 6 months and see if he changed his mind.
    You know, if WoW's PVP servers were like they used to be in Vanilla.. that's where I'd be in a heartbeat. I just quit playing that again because they've just changed everything so much from when I loved it. Rift, I've heard is just as bad.. I only played that at release and it always seemed like, "why am I playing this when I could just be playing WoW?"

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    You know, if WoW's PVP servers were like they used to be in Vanilla.. that's where I'd be in a heartbeat. I just quit playing that again because they've just changed everything so much from when I loved it. Rift, I've heard is just as bad.. I only played that at release and it always seemed like, "why am I playing this when I could just be playing WoW?"
    What do you mean how they used to be?  If you want random pvp encounters without P2W then Rift,WOW is the place for that.   If you want to be rewarded for open world pvp then not many games have given us that.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I really like the class system in the game. And i really like questing because i read the stories. But its mainly a PVP focused game so i play characters to lvl 30 and delete them. PVP and PVE should never mix. And i'm starting to think mmo's should be just niche. PVE games only and PVP games only. Devs need to stop mixing the two styles.
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    raystantz said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Eldurian said:

They are taking a ton of experience and knowledge of the game... I mean, look at you guys fighting over who knows more about the game! I'm going to play BDO and mess around in AA until the new servers open. I wanted to play something now, and not 9 days from now lol.. because I have time off right now.
    They can't take their gear, or gold, or 30 plots of land and 40 housing/farm designs, etc. though.  But if you're just looking to kill some time right now, there's a million better options available.
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    What do you mean how they used to be?  If you want random pvp encounters without P2W then Rift,WOW is the place for that.   If you want to be rewarded for open world pvp then not many games have given us that.
    The random PVP that happens now in those games is rare at best, and it's nothing like it was during Vanilla in WoW when you had hundreds of people fighting in South Shore or Crossroads. I don't know what the PVP in Rift is like, but I've never read that it was anything other than the occasional gank, but I have glyph I can easily download Rift and try that too! Not going back to WoW though, I played that from release all the way until a few months ago off and on.. can't do that anymore.. just tired of it.

Currently playing:

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Don't be all snarky to people who may have been apart of Archeage since beta, because you're just now going through the honeymoon phase. It's so ignorantly blissful and corny. 

"Hey there's a nasty piece of traffic about 50 miles down the road"
    "I don't know what you haters are talking about it's perfectly fine where I'm at"

=\

Wtf  are you you spouting on about, he  never said anything snarky in his post. Perhaps you should stop being snarky because he likes the game.

There's one thing that's for certain.. This thread is more active than the servers in SWTOR. 

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    The random PVP that happens now in those games is rare at best, and it's nothing like it was during Vanilla in WoW when you had hundreds of people fighting in South Shore or Crossroads. I don't know what the PVP in Rift is like, but I've never read that it was anything other than the occasional gank, but I have glyph I can easily download Rift and try that too! Not going back to WoW though, I played that from release all the way until a few months ago off and on.. can't do that anymore.. just tired of it.
    Massive consensual pvp is why I suggested GW2,ESO.   Solo open world pvp is why I mentioned WOW,Rift.   If you want both combined then I guess you can stick with Archeage.  But IDK the current state of the game or if the massive fights happen like they did at launch.  The negatives are p2w and sometimes one sided servers.  RNG crafting and items getting blown up when upgrading.

I'm totally not understanding your vanilla wow example.  Its massive amount of players just fighting.  Who cares if it happens in WVW or an instanced match?  It really makes no difference.  Except in the instanced and wvw matches at least you get rewards for the fight.  Unlike vanilla wow all you got was the fun of a fight.
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    Massive consensual pvp is why I suggested GW2,ESO.   Solo open world pvp is why I mentioned WOW,Rift.   If you want both combined then I guess you can stick with Archeage.  But IDK the current state of the game or if the massive fights happen like they did at launch.  The negatives are p2w and sometimes one sided servers.  RNG crafting and items getting blown up when upgrading.

I'm totally not understanding your vanilla wow example.  Its massive amount of players just fighting.  Who cares if it happens in WVW or an instanced match?  It really makes no difference.  Except in the instanced and wvw matches at least you get rewards for the fight.  Unlike vanilla wow all you got was the fun of a fight.
    There's a massive difference. It's pretty simple.

In ESO/GW2 the ONLY way you'll ever run into PVP is by actively joining a queue, waiting for said queue to pop and then being ported to some other part of the world that is instanced, where nobody else in the game is located except for the other people who also decided at that moment to do the same thing you did. You might have a "random" experience while you are in that are, but youv'e already decided that you want to pvp, so it's not really a surprise or random anymore. Everyone there is actively seeking PVP, and so it takes away all of the fun of just happening on it out in the world.

In WoW before they introduced battlegrounds and area, you could be out questing and run into skirmishes all over the game world, NOT just in one very specific instance designed for that purpose. Sometimes it was just ganking, but other times the ganking lead to full on several hour long battles to control parts of the world. You also got honor for killing players. When battlegrounds and arena was introduced all of that came to a screeching halt and you still had your ganking and occasional run in with the other faction, but nothing at all like before. I'd even dare say Dungeon Finder added to the problem because no longer were people running into each other when doing instances that were in contested zones. That's where a lot of my world pvp happened as well.

The big difference here is that one example, I'm actively making a choice to PVP and actively "teleporting" to some area of the game where everyone else is also PVPing. The element of surprise is gone. 

I like to experience PVP when I'm out in the world questing or when I'm on a crafting mission or trade run, because that's how I feel it would happen.. at random. I liked UO's "arena" where you could go fight each other for no death penalty, but what I don't like is "zoning" to a completely different part of the game server in a place that is locked off to everyone else in the game world. That, and many people in those "instanced pvp areas" are just in there to complete objectives and not actually ya know... PVP. I've been in Cyrodill for like 3 hours before just watching people go back and forth blowing up the structures.. because there was nobody around to kill or there just wasn't any point in it. 

Currently playing:

raystantz said:
    In WoW before they introduced battlegrounds and area, you could be out questing and run into skirmishes all over the game world, NOT just in one very specific instance designed for that purpose. Sometimes it was just ganking, but other times the ganking lead to full on several hour long battles to control parts of the world. You also got honor for killing players. When battlegrounds and arena was introduced all of that came to a screeching halt and you still had your ganking and occasional run in with the other faction, but nothing at all like before. I'd even dare say Dungeon Finder added to the problem because no longer were people running into each other when doing instances that were in contested zones. That's where a lot of my world pvp happened as well.
    With the advent of world quests, there are tons of people out in the world in the Broken Isles (new continent for Legion) in WoW.
    edited December 2016
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:
    raystantz said:
    filmoret said:

There's a massive difference. It's pretty simple.

In ESO/GW2 the ONLY way you'll ever run into PVP is by actively joining a queue, waiting for said queue to pop and then being ported to some other part of the world that is instanced, where nobody else in the game is located except for the other people who also decided at that moment to do the same thing you did. You might have a "random" experience while you are in that are, but youv'e already decided that you want to pvp, so it's not really a surprise or random anymore. Everyone there is actively seeking PVP, and so it takes away all of the fun of just happening on it out in the world.

The big difference here is that one example, I'm actively making a choice to PVP and actively "teleporting" to some area of the game where everyone else is also PVPing. The element of surprise is gone. 

I like to experience PVP when I'm out in the world questing or when I'm on a crafting mission or trade run, because that's how I feel it would happen.. at random. I liked UO's "arena" where you could go fight each other for no death penalty, but what I don't like is "zoning" to a completely different part of the game server in a place that is locked off to everyone else in the game world. That, and many people in those "instanced pvp areas" are just in there to complete objectives and not actually ya know... PVP. I've been in Cyrodill for like 3 hours before just watching people go back and forth blowing up the structures.. because there was nobody around to kill or there just wasn't any point in it. 
    So while you are out running around you like the ability to run into a solo enemy or an entire group of enemies.  Yea you can see that in both WOW,Rift if you know where to go.  The same with Archeage.  Except in Archeage you have more to worry from your own faction then the enemy most of the time.

ESO,GW2 you are wrong about both of those games.  There is no queue.  Theres 300-500 players on the map.  The map is huge so its like an entire zone not just some small instance.  They aren't really instances because they only reset once a week.  And there are a lot of people in ESO wvw that are trying to quest and avoid pvp.

Again your reasons are really flawed when comparing vanilla WOW.  I mean if you want to join a massive fight it doesn't matter if its in open world or some instance.  You want to see the massive fight then go to where it is.  How is that different then joining an instance?  Instead of walking to some area where all the fighting is happening.  They teleport you to an instance.