Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the most immersive MMO out in terms of the world?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Is there any other MMO, where the NPCs, even as minor as a dog, have an hour long script? If you follow a dog in GW2, it does its entire "life" in an hour. Sure its scripted and repeats after an hour. But, that is just for ONE npc, and just a dog at that. That doesn't go into all the conversations NPCs have in the world, each NPC having its own life. How immersive the world itself is

The only thing that comes close is Ultima 7, and that was decades ago and not an MMO. In UO7, the NPCs all lived their own life sorta like they do in GW2. NPCs talk about the world, what is going on or just random stuff.

And the cities themselves are HUGE. While not the size and immersion of Vanguard Saga of Heroes cities (which wins in size), but unlike Vanguard, the cities are filled with life and tons to see and do. The cities, you go in and it feels like an actual city. Most NPCs have cities so small they aren't even cities, but villages at best. While some stuff is background scenery like in Divinity's Reach, it really gives a sense and illusion of size and epicness.

Does anyone else agree that GW2 is the most immersive MMO out there? Even more than many singleplayer games? Maybe the only one that can compete is Ryzom, which has a very lively MMO game world as well.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Ah, it's you again!

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Have to agree that GW2 has the most imersive world ive ever seen in an mmo. 
    I dont play anymore (for different reasons) but no matter where i went i always felt compelled to explore and follow npc's to see what they were up to. The music is also some of the best ive ever heard and is on par with WotLK ost.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Yes, dozens of instanced versions of every zone is very immersive...and so are repeating events.  While NPC interactions and dynamic (but scripted...) events give the illusion of immersion quite well, GW(3) needs to be open world to even be considered immersive.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    While I don't agree with you, the new zone looks amazing:

But the world is too zoned for me and the same events over and over again destroy every immersion. Plus the skybox is kind of weird and off in terms of scale.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited November 2016
    There is a genuine cubic assload of voice acting for every dynamic event, in between dynamic event chains, idle NPC chatter and roaming npc 'meet-ups'.

My favourite thing about LA is the buildings are sea creature based and even the NPCs make fun of it. Anyone hear the 2 guys talking about the Aerodrome? lol

There's also little visual stuff. Like figuring out where the various Order of Whispers hideouts are by seeing whispers agents stealthing when they enter/exit little nooks and crannies in places. If you snoop around it becomes obvious.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    IMO there is NO game singleplayer or MMO that have so much "feeling" in the world, NPCs just don't stand still some move some have interesting conversation you can listen into, some kids playing, cat hunting a rat, there is so much going on that makes the world feel alive.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    TheAmir said:
    I thought it was incredibly shallow and scripted, TBH - repeat events, canned NPCs that do the same thing over and over, not much to do but level and do jump puzzles/get gear - how is it any different than every other MMO out there? In fact, it's worse than many I've played. 

Totally am not getting where "so immersive" is coming from. 

I guess you are that kind of gamer that never stick around for more than 5 seconds, you are that gamer who press skip on quests texts, I guess you are that player who want things to happen now now now.

Thats why you don't get it.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I'm enjoying this thread series. Next: "Am I crazy or is GW2 the game with the best music and art?"
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • mezhumezhu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited November 2016
    /offtopic

Could you stop with these blatant clickbait threads?

/ontopic

No, GW2 is far from being immersive, let alone 'the most immersive'.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    GW2 is the opposite of immersive. Everything is gamified and shiny.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    yeah citys are full of life (npcs) , i remember 2 kids in the portal zone in Lion arch , 1 is was human kid the other was a charr cub ...they were playing with kite , and were running around and having fun joking ....then teleported to another city...

Npcs talking about things , moving around , working , shopping ....

Outside cities meh similar to others games
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    GW2 is the opposite of immersive. Everything is gamified and shiny.
    My thoughts exactly, same with GW1. Both can be fun, the latter more so. Yet I have never been able to immerse myself into the world(s), story or characters.. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Archlyte said:
    I'm enjoying this thread series. Next: "Am I crazy or is GW2 the game with the best music and art?"
    Best splash screen anyone?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    It is interesting that many of you have found immersion in the NPC scripting....I would even venture to call it ironic. If the game features and general flow of play, UI, and world interaction (map, activities, quests etc.) were handled in a bit more immersive way, it might have highlighted the immersive qualities of the NPC scripting. However, the way the general way the game is designed...it ends up doing the opposite, the NPC scripting is something a play would only notice if they pause from the mountains of gamified content that is thrown at you...and really pays attention. 

Compare GW2 to Skyrim (a game that I feel has some of the best and most immersive qualities for a AAA RPG).
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I would have loved GW2s game design coupled with World of Warcrafts lore and content. If it had another faction or two then I would say it had the most immersive "world". 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    No MMORPG with furry rodents as a playable character could even remotely approach immersive for me.  I always see those races and roll my eyes.

For me, the most immersive game that I've played is Age of Conan.  They really captured the flavor of Robert E Howard's stories and they weren't PC about it and they didn't sugar coat it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     One of if not the worst for immersion imo , Everything about GW2 felt so contrived .....
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2016
    GW2 was ironically in fact the first themepark MMO where I felt it was an actual theme park.  Which was actually the opposite of immersive for me.   When I went to theme parks as a kid, my parents always would take me to the various shows going on in all of them or we'd go on the rides that pretended to be adventures with a host acting out everything and pretending to be surprised when the fake monsters or Jaws or whatever jumped out.  In GW2, I felt that chasing after each dynamic event was the equivalent of getting in line for the next show or the next ride, really.  Sure, each and every one was voice acted but it was all just a show anyways, in large part because it wasn't like any of it really mattered and fail or succeed, the dynamic event would simply restart again in a few minutes anyways.

I actually had flashbacks to my childhood vacations in Disneyworld and MGM Studios as my character ran from dynamic event to dynamic event in that game, right down to the "Hurry up or we'll miss the next showing!" feeling I had sometimes as I tried to run to the next dynamic event before it ended.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    To me its immersive... more then any other MMO...

Why?

- Stories are well done
    - open world events are superbly done, they connect the law, and are highly interactive
    - There is quite some challenges in this world, also solo, take a wrong action and you are death. Even in solo combat

this is the kind of immersion i am looking for...  i can immerse my character deep into the lore and the world.. Immersion for me has nothing to do with sandbox vs themepark...  it has everything to do with how my character conencts to the world and the things happening around me...  When walking the sole of Tyria, things happen, which require my actions.. i dont go in straightlines from a to b but react to what happens...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    So much clickbait on the first 2 pages of the forum.. all by the same guy..
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I got the strong feeling that I have a totally different understanding of immersion as the OP. 
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    LoTRO /thread
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    edited December 2016
    no, i had no immersion in GW2, much more so in gw1 in that case. but not really there either, gw is just not very immersive.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    To me, it's one of the least immersive games I've played.

Maybe it's because I don't feel immersed in a gigantic Piñata simulation.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Dakeru said:
    So much clickbait on the first 2 pages of the forum.. all by the same guy..
    Yeah, the OP seems to have found a magic formula for "generating discussion".

Creating posts with provocative headlines and controversial content is guaranteed to get responses, especially if you use the most popular games as your subject matter...

The OP has a bright future ahead of them as an "internet clickbait journalist" ! :D