Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where should I buy my new gaming laptop?

luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
Hey guys,

I am getting ready for my doctorate program and need to sell my tower that I built so that I can grab a laptop that I can take to classes.

The thing is I want a top end one that can run my games: BF1, Star Citizen, GW2, etc.

I don't knot a ton about laptops like I do desktops, so I am looking for a good place to buy a high end laptop and not get cleaned out.

The new Alienware 17 has the specs im looking for, 4.2 CPU, GTX 1070 GPU...etc etc. However I hear they overprice their products...

So does anyone have suggestions on where I should shop for a high end gaming laptop.

And yes....I know it's hard to find desktop performance in a laptop, but honestly, I had a laptop from Dell through University, granted it was their highest end at the time, but still a Dell and that ran my games like a beast, SWTOR at the time.

Im open to suggestions of a good site to buy from!

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    the new lines of graphic cards are meant to be desktops in a laptop size for around 10% performance difference.

asus has water cooling, and its bulkier but it allows for desktop performance with OCing.

MSI has good value as well.

Keep in mind these laptops are around 17" screens that run in 1080p, so having desktop perfromance for a laptop is much more easy to acheive for that lap top, when some of these laptops also can scale to 4k with an external monitor, or in some cases the lap top comes with a higher res than 1080p. Something worth considering as well.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If you are serious about getting a high end gaming  "notebook computer" (they don't call them laptops, for good reason btw) look at Sager.

They are a Clevo distributor who did a great job selling me a great notebook 2.5 years ago and I'll be looking to buy another next year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Call me old fashioned but the words "gaming" and "laptop" should never be uttered in the same sentence.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Call me old fashioned but the words "gaming" and "laptop" should never be uttered in the same sentence.
    Agreed, its gaming notebook these days.

I run 6 EVE clients on mine with no issue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Agreed, its gaming notebook these days.

I run 6 EVE clients on mine with no issue.
    You are not playing eve you are PLAYING EVE!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    I would also highly suggest a Sager. I spent a small fortune on it but I can play anything out there on max settings. It's a lovely beast and it doesn't even overheat. Definitely will get another one down the road.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb