Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What You Need to Know About Tomorrow's New World Update - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat You Need to Know About Tomorrow's New World Update - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online News - Kakao Games has published a new FAQ on the Black Desert Online site that gives players a handy guide to "New World", the next major update coming on Wednesday, November 30th. New World is BDO's version of regional mega servers. The move is being made to better facilitate Siege Wars and to revitalize the in-game economy.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Preparing for the future.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If they're doing server merges already, perhaps Pearl Abyss might consider giving up on the ludicrous idea of selling publishing rights for the Africa region, lol

Just include us with the EU region at no extra cost for Kakao. There just might be a thousand or so potential customers in Africa, you never know... :D
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    the time of the cash grab running out, serve merge and after they will close
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Seems to be plenty of people playing on my server Uno. With the big sale of the game for $5 last week I am also seeing a lot of new people playing. I fish right beside the first Co-Op quest and it has been running non-stop for days. I think it is way too early to be predicting this one is shutting down but if it makes you feel better, I am sure it will shut down someday...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Talonsin said:

Seems to be plenty of people playing on my server Uno. With the big sale of the game for $5 last week I am also seeing a lot of new people playing. I fish right beside the first Co-Op quest and it has been running non-stop for days. I think it is way too early to be predicting this one is shutting down but if it makes you feel better, I am sure it will shut down someday...

Just shows that they do not play the game.  ;)

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    There's always has to be doomsayers despite they already failed on this game going free2play after 6 months and/or shutting down.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    While i'm glad they are implementing megaservers i still won't come back(much less spend any money) until Pear Abyss swallow their pride and lift IP block for Latin America and the caribbean. I would even buy the game again from another publisher just so i can play BDO with my real life friends that are stuck behind that stupid region lock.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    The game did not run toooo well on my machine in beta.

Did they work on the performance over time?

While i'm glad they are implementing megaservers i still won't come back(much less spend any money) until Pear Abyss swallow their pride and lift IP block for Latin America and the caribbean. I would even buy the game again from another publisher just so i can play BDO with my real life friends that are stuck behind that stupid region lock.

I dont know if I would blame Pearl or Daum for that IP Block. I think a lot of software companies are staying out of Latin America due to its high rate of software piracy. Just google it and you will see stuff like this:

"As of 2011, Latin America had among the highest software piracy rates in the world, with a regional average of 61%, according to a BSA study. That figure was 53% and 57% respectively in major markets Brazil and Mexico.
    The highest software piracy rate in Latin America was recorded in Venezuela, where it reached 88%, while the lowest figure was in Puerto Rico at 42%."

That is not a market I would want to launch my game in. And it is not only piracy but also hacking/exploiting. Not saying your friends would cheat but the mindset towards software in Latin America is generally that it should all be free and any exploits you can find are perfectly ok.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:

I dont know if I would blame Pearl or Daum for that IP Block. I think a lot of software companies are staying out of Latin America due to its high rate of software piracy. Just google it and you will see stuff like this:

"As of 2011, Latin America had among the highest software piracy rates in the world, with a regional average of 61%, according to a BSA study. That figure was 53% and 57% respectively in major markets Brazil and Mexico.
    The highest software piracy rate in Latin America was recorded in Venezuela, where it reached 88%, while the lowest figure was in Puerto Rico at 42%."

That is not a market I would want to launch my game in. And it is not only piracy but also hacking/exploiting. Not saying your friends would cheat but the mindset towards software in Latin America is generally that it should all be free and any exploits you can find are perfectly ok.
    That's an interesting point I hadn't heard yet. I think also that potential revenue is a concern so PA was likely looking at countries where players were likely to be spending a lot of money on the cash shop. Pushing a game to other countries costs money so it may not have been worth it for them.
    They had mega servers in korea so the western V is doing the same but they should of done it from the start. they ant running out of cash cause like i said above mega servers are already in korea.
    True but the megaserver thing was a very controversial issue pre-launch. I believe the current setup was a result of some official polls and a lot of player discussion. I guess they tried it for a while and ultimately decided to go back to their original idea.
    edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:

Why do they only show negative data and dont show positive information? because negative information fulfills their agenda. Latin american servers for WoW are always on high population an they are all subscribed paying the same amount we pay here in the US. Why dont these "studies" show how many people in LA pay for games? because that kind of information dont bring eyeballs to their articles.

Every mmo that has service in the US is also open to LA and the caribbean. If these studies you speak of are so legittimate and inpactful to the company's economy, why dont all companies ip block LA? Because there are more people paying legitimately than the people pirating. By the way, why isnt Russia IP blocked then? They even have their own servers.

EDIT: piracy is rampant everywhere in the world, and companies make money everywhere in the world too.

My thoughts.

edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:

Why do they only show negative data and dont show positive information? because negative information fulfills their agenda. Latin american servers for WoW are always on high population an they are all subscribed paying the same amount we pay here in the US. Why dont these "studies" show how many people in LA pay for games? because that kind of information dont bring eyeballs to their articles.

Every mmo that has service in the US is also open to LA and the caribbean. If these studies you speak of are so legittimate and inpactful to the company's economy, why dont all companies ip block LA? Because there are more people paying legitimately than the people pirating. By the way, why isnt Russia IP blocked then? They even have their own servers.
    Because Russians love Korean games, are willing to spend boatloads on the cash shop, and have a large enough market that PA can make good money there. Also I believe they have F2P servers in Russia so there's a lower barrier to entry and less need to pirate it. I do know they have hacking issues in RU BDO but people play anyway. Their gaming culture is a bit different. What flys there would most certainly not fly in NA/EU.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I see a lot of activity on the 2 servers I play on. The apocalypse criers might wanna go beat on LOTRO. psst.. I hear they're closing. psst.

I self identify as a monkey.

Talonsin said:

EDIT: piracy is rampant everywhere in the world, and companies make money everywhere in the world too.

My thoughts.
    If Russia had an 88% rate of software piracy maybe some companies would pull out of their too!  Also, Latin America has the smallest revenue when it comes to MMO's.  Honestly, it is not because Daum or Pearl hates Latin America.  It is a simple business decision.  If things go well with the North American version I am sure they will add servers for Latin America eventually.

Source: http://corp.texyon.com/news/mmorpg-market-in-southern-europe-and-latin-americahttp://

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Talonsin said:
    Talonsin said:

My thoughts.
    If Russia had an 88% rate of software piracy maybe some companies would pull out of their too!  Also, Latin America has the smallest revenue when it comes to MMO's.  Honestly, it is not because Daum or Pearl hates Latin America.  It is a simple business decision.  If things go well with the North American version I am sure they will add servers for Latin America eventually.

Source: http://corp.texyon.com/news/mmorpg-market-in-southern-europe-and-latin-americahttp://
    I sorely doubt  that Pearl Abyss are avoiding South America and Africa due to concerns over piracy.

They're simply holding out for more money in the form of distribution rights for these regions.

But no publisher will pay for BDO licensing in these regions because the expected revenue is very poor. The entire African continent accounts for less Steam downloads than just the Netherlands, for instance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi

If they're doing server merges already, perhaps Pearl Abyss might consider giving up on the ludicrous idea of selling publishing rights for the Africa region, lol

Just include us with the EU region at no extra cost for Kakao. There just might be a thousand or so potential customers in Africa, you never know... :D

border line racist.

I've met people from Africa while I was studying web design, the country has major metropolitan areas that are viable for gaming.
    I dont think the racist card needs to be played, it is a business decision plain and simple.  Latin America is one of the lowest revenue generating areas for MMO games.  That is a viable business reason to not launch there.  As for Africa, they have a very low rate of internet adoption compared to other countries, again a solid reason not to launch an internet based game in that area.

Source: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm

Some extra data for you folks mad about your friends not being able to play or think a company is racist for not launching in a particular country...

Latin America has a growing gamer population but much of it is towards mobile games.  When you look at this chart towards the bottom, PC sales only account for 1.6 Billion in total revenue and most of that is from Brazil.  I lived in Brazil for a little bit and they are more into competitive gaming like CS-GO style games rather than MMO's.

Latin America Gaming Market

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/latin-american-games-market/

World Gaming Markets

https://www.statista.com/statistics/308454/gaming-revenue-countries/

When you compare this to other countries, you will see quite a difference. 
    Also note that while the UK only accounted for 3.8 billion, surrounding countries like Germany and France also use the EU servers bringing the EU total well above 10 billion.  Notice Africa did not even make the list above.  This is not because the survey people were racist, it was because MMO's are just not very big as far as revenue generating entities in Africa.

As far as business decisions go, wouldn't you start with the biggest markets first and see how your game did before jumping into much smaller markets?  If your game was only producing nominal revenue in NA, would you then launch it in Latin America when market data says it will produce 2000% less revenue?

edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
    Some extra data for you folks mad about your friends not being able to play or think a company is racist for not launching in a particular country...

Latin America has a growing gamer population but much of it is towards mobile games.  When you look at this chart towards the bottom, PC sales only account for 1.6 Billion in total revenue and most of that is from Brazil.  I lived in Brazil for a little bit and they are more into competitive gaming like CS-GO style games rather than MMO's.

Latin America Gaming Market

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/latin-american-games-market/

World Gaming Markets

https://www.statista.com/statistics/308454/gaming-revenue-countries/

When you compare this to other countries, you will see quite a difference. 
    Also note that while the UK only accounted for 3.8 billion, surrounding countries like Germany and France also use the EU servers bringing the EU total well above 10 billion.  Notice Africa did not even make the list above.  This is not because the survey people were racist, it was because MMO's are just not very big as far as revenue generating entities in Africa.

As far as business decisions go, wouldn't you start with the biggest markets first and see how your game did before jumping into much smaller markets?  If your game was only producing nominal revenue in NA, would you then launch it in Latin America when market data says it will produce 2000% less revenue?
    how can that research be accurate when one of their last paragraph on the first link reads "This research effort covered close to 23,000 selected respondents across 11 countries from three different regions."

They are basing the results for half a continent on roughly 23k people who answered a survey? Is always good to take these researches with a grain of salt.

As for BDO itself, they don't have to open data centers in LATAM, they have always played mostly lag-free on NA servers in all other mmos, free and paid. And the language is not a problem in this particular game, BDO launched with a chat system where you can choose what language you see in chat. This ip block is just hurting PA more than what they may think. Less money for them, its a shame that is their decision.